• Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Sigil

AFL National Draft 2014 Picks 2 & 3

Got this from the Saints board.

This is a txt I received off a mate on the GC now at the draft;

Mccartin is one... St Kilda won't say it in media but they were scared off by petracca's psych testing - not up to #1 standard with attitude compared to mccartin.
Dees are taking Brayshaw and Petracca
Then gws are super keen on Pickett

So yeah pretty captain obvious type of stuff, but this basically confirms it.

• Like 2

For expediency, I rephrase - Roos said we will take whoever StKilda dont take out of Brayshaw, Petracca and McCartin

That cuts it down a bit!
  • Like 2

I dont . I think we can far easier pinch hit with another tall forward than we can in the midfield. Keep in mind Midfielders can score goals, very few fwds run through the guts

Agreed. Viney, Tyson, Brayshaw is not enough to compete with the best. If you get smashed in the middle it doesn't matter who you have up forward. All our other midfielders are NQR/injured/nearing the end - simple as that

• Like 2

For expediency, I rephrase - Roos said we will take whoever StKilda dont take out of Brayshaw, Petracca and McCartin

What happens if they take someone different from the 3???

THE DRAMA!!

St Kilda being scared off by psych testing could be the greatest thing to happen to MFC.

unless he turns out to be headcase.

But i am mystified by this - i have heard him speak numerous times and he comes across very well. Is he sure he has ability ? yup but thats not a bad thing.

Who knows....

• Like 1

St Kilda being scared off by psych testing could be the greatest thing to happen to MFC.

Buddy drifted because of psych testing.

• Like 1

Agreed. Viney, Tyson, Brayshaw is not enough to compete with the best. If you get smashed in the middle it doesn't matter who you have up forward. All our other midfielders are NQR/injured/nearing the end - simple as that

Id include Cross in the list of able midfielders :) But I acknowledge your thinking.. we need that critical mass in the middle and Petracca ( when he gets up to speed...whenever..could be round 1 or 11 ..just saying ....as to Brayshaw also ) gets us a might closer to it if there.

still reckon he fudged it to get to us :roos:

• Like 3

I thought someone may bring up Martin.

There are some on that maintain their rage as to why we didn't take him. He was clearly not rated in the same rankings as Scully and Trengove ( you know what I think of ratings) and whilst he was a risk on attitude it was not that held him back as being in the class of the other two - from my reading, it was purely based on that analysis that he wasn't as a good a footballer.

Darling is the other that comes to mind and he definitely dropped in value due to the perceived problems.

Can we please get rid of this myth, Darling was not overlooked becuase of perceived off field problems, Darling was overlooked because he had a massive drop off in form in his last year of 2010 at WAFL level. There was a strong notion that Darling had reached his ceiling as a footballer.

He was an absolute standout as a 14-16 year old winning numerous awards and killing opponents with strength and speed. The move up from colts to seniors at West Perth exposed big deficencies in his game and his work ethic was poor and it showed up on game day. Jack thought it was just going to happen for him. He looked slow and was being beaten by opponents regulalry. That is why he slipped and Fact is he did not set the world on fire at Meth Coast when drafted and it took a rocket from Worsfold and a few home truths being told to get him to knuckle down.

The rest is history

Got this from the Saints board.

This is a txt I received off a mate on the GC now at the draft;

Mccartin is one... St Kilda won't say it in media but they were scared off by petracca's psych testing - not up to #1 standard with attitude compared to mccartin.

Dees are taking Brayshaw and Petracca

Then gws are super keen on Pickett

So yeah pretty captain obvious type of stuff, but this basically confirms it.

Oh good best news I have heard

He is not a choir boy

• Like 2

Can we please get rid of this myth, Darling was not overlooked becuase of perceived off field problems, Darling was overlooked because he had a massive drop off in form in his last year of 2010 at WAFL level. There was a strong notion that Darling had reached his ceiling as a footballer.

He was an absolute standout as a 14-16 year old winning numerous awards and killing opponents with strength and speed. The move up from colts to seniors at West Perth exposed big deficencies in his game and his work ethic was poor and it showed up on game day. Jack thought it was just going to happen for him. He looked slow and was being beaten by opponents regulalry. That is why he slipped and Fact is he did not set the world on fire at Meth Coast when drafted and it took a rocket from Worsfold and a few home truths being told to get him to knuckle down.

The rest is history

I said the perceived problems - and the perceived problems I heard are exactly as you pointed out - poor work ethic and attitude to doing putting in the hard yards.

Oh good best news I have heard

He is not a choir boy

Not sure why you want a non choir boy..

I want a choir boy that plays like Garry Ablett Junior.

Glenn Archer was a clean skin who had unbelievable attitude to getting the best out of himself and doing the best for the team. He was choir boy i would have loved in my team.

Funniest thing about all of this is the notion that somehow StKilda lauds having high psych requirements. Anyone who has ever followed this rabble over the years will know they epitomise bi polar behaviour at a club level and secrete untoward antics at a player level.

Place is a looney bin at the best of times just primed to turn on their own or selves.

Id want to fail their eval test too !!

But i am mystified by this - i have heard him speak numerous times and he comes across very well. Is he sure he has ability ? yup but thats not a bad thing.

Who knows....

Probably misspelled backwards Tomato.

No, that is what I meant to type...

Not sure why you want a non choir boy..

I want a choir boy that plays like Garry Ablett Junior.

Glenn Archer was a clean skin who had unbelievable attitude to getting the best out of himself and doing the best for the team. He was choir boy i would have loved in my team.

I am tried of having lots of nice boys who cannot get a kick nutbean.

I don't care about their Attitude or if they kick their cat or are less than wonderful to there mother and siblings.

All I want is a player who helps win games for the MFC beyond I have low expectations.

what is this psych test anyway? Bunch of inkblots followed by some 'tell me about your mother' type questions? How do you fail it? They ask if you like to work hard and you say 'no'? Surely everybody knows the answers they are supposed to give and they just give them whether they mean it or not. How would you like to be the useless cretin who gave an assessment of Franklin, nice job mate

on the other hand, I wonder what type of assessments were made for Liam Jurrah?

What about Mitch Clark? 'Are you a disloyal backstabbing pig?' 'No of course not' 'very well then sir thank you for your time'

as you can tell I do not have a lot of respect for the psychological community nor Mitch Clark

• Like 2

Just my take. But I don't think he'd fail a psychological evaluation due to being a d'head. I think it's more the opposite, that whilst he is outwardly confident he isn't actually that self assured. These kind of quotes:

"In early 2012 we went to the AIS in Canberra for two camps but didn't like it. I felt there was no basketball pathway," Petracca recalls.

"I didn't really want to move overseas (to play, possibly at an American college). I wanted to stay home. I was only 16.

"I had to speak to a lot of people about it. My brothers, my parents, even the school psychologist, because I didn't want to let anyone down. I had a lot of pressure on me because I was in the Ranges squad and I was in the state team for basketball," he says.

"I felt if I quit one, the other would be really cut with me. I kept telling my basketball coach I couldn't make training because I had footy, trying to give him the hint. Eventually I told him."

A number 1 pick has to have absolute belief in themselves because they are going to have a lot of pressure coming their way. They can't be Jack Watts'. They can't be Tom Scully's and run off to somewhere else.

Paddy McCartin has also spoken of the anxiety problems he had as a kid. But right now he seems like a self assured laid back country kid. At Melbourne, Petracca wont need to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Especially if he goes pick 3 and Brayshaw is pick 2. There's already Salem, Toumpas, Viney, Tyson, they can work as a group.

The rest is history

Wasn't he involved in a fracas at a Northbridge nightclub?

Just my take. But I don't think he'd fail a psychological evaluation due to being a d'head. I think it's more the opposite, that whilst he is outwardly confident he isn't actually that self assured. These kind of quotes:

A number 1 pick has to have absolute belief in themselves because they are going to have a lot of pressure coming their way. They can't be Jack Watts'. They can't be Tom Scully's and run off to somewhere else.

Paddy McCartin has also spoken of the anxiety problems he had as a kid. But right now he seems like a self assured laid back country kid. At Melbourne, Petracca wont need to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Especially if he goes pick 3 and Brayshaw is pick 2. There's already Salem, Toumpas, Viney, Tyson, they can work as a group.

its ok....problem solved for Christian.....no #1 mantel for him....no no no... 3 is fine :)

what is this psych test anyway? Bunch of inkblots followed by some 'tell me about your mother' type questions? How do you fail it? They ask if you like to work hard and you say 'no'? Surely everybody knows the answers they are supposed to give and they just give them whether they mean it or not. How would you like to be the useless cretin who gave an assessment of Franklin, nice job mate

on the other hand, I wonder what type of assessments were made for Liam Jurrah?

What about Mitch Clark? 'Are you a disloyal backstabbing pig?' 'No of course not' 'very well then sir thank you for your time'

as you can tell I do not have a lot of respect for the psychological community nor Mitch Clark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychometrics

There's many variants of psychometric testing, essentially the crux of it is you answer a bunch of questions (no right or wrong answers, eg. would you steal to feed your family?) and from the combination of your answers they are able to determine what your personality is like and your likely strengths and weaknesses.

Just speculating but I'd assume the psych requirements Petracca 'failed' are to do with the players ability to cope with adversity. The ability to deal with the external media and fan pressure if you're not playing/ playing well is 10x worse for a number one pick, compared to a number 2. For some people the criticism is water off a ducks back, for others it sticks like [censored] on a blanket.
re: Franklin's psych testing - The psychs write the tests, they don't make the decisions on who to draft. Can guarantee the majority of tests on Franklin would have read the same. He knew he was the [censored] and had a poor attitude. He didn't show respect for a number of clubs that interviewed him because he knew he'd be gone by their picks. It's up to the clubs to choose whether they want to bring in someone like that.
  • Like 1

Who knows....

Dustin Martin is a headcase, and has a shocking attitude. Would love him at the dees.

• Like 3

He didn't show respect for a number of clubs that interviewed him because he knew he'd be gone by their picks.

There's actually a fair bit of realism and intelligence in that....Only an idiot wastes their time Brash, Cocky, Belligerent even... but not silly !! just saying :)

I dont suffer fools gladly either and it did probably cost me a few jobs along the way. Lifes too short to waste on idiots or timewasters.

I dont really care why we end up with the two best mids.... just happy to... BOOOORAH !!!

• Like 1

its ok....problem solved for Christian.....no #1 mantel for him....no no no... 3 is fine :)

Sure is. But seriously 3 is way different to 1. Especially when sharing it with a team mate (although that can create it's own pressure of expectations). But if you couldn't split McCartin or Petracca for 1 pick you could come down to small details on the psych test. Personally I don't believe that's the full story, I think the saints are backing in the big forward and either them or someone is just putting some psych test stuff out there. But it's fair enough.

• Like 1

a massive LOIL @ St Kilda if they let Petracca slip to us because of some pointless 'psych test'