• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

RIP Robbie Flower - Sad Passing of a True Champion

By far the greatest player I have seen at the Dees. Poise, grace, skill, courage, leadership - all in a skinny body not made for footy and horrible eyesight.

I met him at a club open day in the 70's, still have his signature in an old autograph book. I had a kick with Paul Callery but desperately wanted to kick with Robbie.

In the country growing up, on cold Sundays in the late 70's I would be out kicking a soggy, rotten old footy between trees and yelling out "Flower"!!!

I was fortunate enough to meet him when my friends' brother-in-law played for the Dees in the early 80's and I was allowed in the rooms before and after the game.

I was there for the 1987 finals series, rising with the whole Dees crowd, yelling out "Robbiiieeee" every time he went near the ball.

I love Schwarz, Farmer, Lyon, Brett Lovett... many others. But no-one comes anywhere near Robbie for me.

I am just so sad tonight. I feel like the whole MFC family has lost its elder statesman, oldest son, and club icon.

• Like 14
  • Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was privileged to have witnessed both his first and last games and the great majority of the 270 in between. His skills were exquisite and he always excelled when playing for his State among the gam

RIP Robbie. With RDB the greatest two players ever in the history of the MFC. However only one of the two remained a Demon all his career. Like all who knew him I am gutted. He was a friend of our f

Posted Images

We will be harder, we will be tougher, we will be skilful, we will play football. In memory of the great Robbie Flower. A Demon champion.

Well Said....The MFC must get better in all ways in honour of this great man

THE GREATEST WINGMAN TO PLAY THE GAME

• Like 4

Just lost for words. So saddened by this news. He and Sean Wight were my two of my heroes.

• Like 3

We will be harder, we will be tougher, we will be skilful, we will play football. In memory of the great Robbie Flower. A Demon champion.

I hope so mate, I bloody hope so. If this batch of players do not stand up and play for this club like Robbie did, I will have had my fill of them.

The ball is in the players court, it is time to make us proud again.

It is time no longer accept pathetic football.

Our players need to look at guys like Stynes, Wight and Flower and if they can do that we will be a different team all together.

Go Tulip, Go Dees.

Do it for Robbie!!!

Edited by Strapping Young Lad
  • Like 1

Was blessed to see the second half of his career, and like others, wore the number 2 on my jumper, and made the pilgrimage out to his sports store to see him on more than one occasion.

The thrill of meeting my boyhood hero never waned over the years - will never a forget an MFC players day at Luna Park in the early 80's when I got to ride with him on the ghost train.

Kicked so many great goals, took so many wonderful marks, but my favourite footage of him is running, bouncing and baulking his way down the ground.

I used to love watching state games - as WJ said, he never failed to fire wearing the big V.

They say the great players stand up in finals; Robbie booted 5 against North, 4 against Sydney, and was only stopped by the Hawks when Dipper flattened him in the Prelim.

RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

:(

• Like 2

Always a sad day when we lose a club champion.

But to lose one at such a young age must be devastating to his family and friends.

Deepest condolences to the family.

He will always be remembered and respected.

I haven't read this whole thread, but outside football Robbie created a training organisation which is now the largest trainer of school-based trainees in Australia, SEDA. My daughter works for them, and knew a Robbie and his wife very well.

I've mentioned it before I think, but two of my boys work for the Demons. The whole family is devastated.

• Like 4

A true champion and the most skilled player I have seen at the club.

I was at Western Oval on June 4th 1973 and saw this skinny kid with huge black glasses on and thought gee he can play. A week later he debuted against Geelong still shy of his 18th birthday. I was in awe as he was 2 weeks younger than me playing for my beloved D's. I was constantly amazed at his skill and courage in such a frail looking frame and I hated Dipper for cleaning him up in his final game the only time I think he ever got cleaned up. I am so glad I had the joy of following his magnificent career.

His record is a lesson for us all as he played in just 88 wins and 184 losses and was there in some very dark times. He only made a finals appearance in his final season, 1987. So fitting that the current wearer of the number 2 epitomises the spirit of Robbie.

I am so sad at his passing and offer my condolences to his family R.I.P.

• Like 13

Absolutely idolised Robbie growing up. First 10 years of my life were spent obsessing over Melbourne and Robbie. Still remember one of my most devastating moments as a kid was at VFL park, after he retired - I turned around to look at the media box behind me and there he was smoking a cigarette. I couldn't believe my hero could be doing something so bad.

As I smoke my last ciggie for the tonight I'll be thinking of the great man with a tear in my eyes. RIP Robbie - you were and always will be the greatest legend of the club

• Like 1

Sincere Condolences to all family and friends, what can you say about this man, privileged to be old enough to have seen him play and will be an old man telling my kids and hopefully grandkids about the legend and how great he was.

Poise, balance, elegance, skill, integrity, loyalty, natural born ability Robbie had everything

RIP Great Man you will forever remain in the hearts and memories of everyone in the Demon family

• Like 1

Very sad news, and gone far too young. A true hero of the MFC. He had skill, courage, humility and durability. The best tribute to his skill is perhaps the day that our kickout strategy was to put all of the team on one flank and Robbie and his opponent on the other. IIRC he won every contest. He was too skinny to be a footballer, but did so anyway, and never shirked a shepherd or was called soft.

RIP Robbie.

• Like 1

1981 Western Oval, Robbie kicks the winning goal, the only win for the season - about 400 MFC members were there in the outer - we will never forget that day.

Personally, I will never forget Robbie trying to autograph my young son's football in pouring rain at a club function in Yarra Park - we all laughed and decided it was best to call it a day!

A few years later Robbie wrote a personal note on my son's Footy Record, and some years later again, did a personal photograph with him.

A superb player and a great person.

Vale Robbie.

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.