The worst miss..EVER

picket fence

saty, we all know players will miss gimme goals now and then

mckenzie is a serial offender and supporters are entitled to get pizzed off with continual simple execution clangers

mckenzie is not alone in being a serial offender

as to what mistakes non-professional players here might have made is not relevant

See this is how Demonland myths start, when you say serial offender, do you mean in missing set shots for goal or missing targets in general play, coz I can't actually remember the last time he had a set shot, I know he scored on on the run some time this season.......I just get frustrated, after a horrible loss we get topic upon topic bemoaning everything and everybody, yes it was a terrible miss but as Nasher says Jordie will know all about it

There is no way he would miss that shot if he was down at the local oval by himself - it's because of psychological pressure. He knows that this teammates, coaches and supporters are aware that he has a reputation for poor disposal. When he took that mark and started to walk back he was thinking 'oh wow imagine what they will say and think if I stuffed something as easy as this up' lo and behold, he 'overthunk' it and stuffed it up. Had he been 45 out on an angle he may well of slotted it because the expectation would have been much lower. Riley has the exact same issue of dodgy disposal preceding him. I think there is a similar psychological process happening with a lot of other players in a lot of other situations. It is also related to getting in front in the last quarter and then seemingly realising that we are supposed to be losing, that's what we do, and it self-prophesying. There is a storyline about their ineptitude, and they believe it. Scarred tissue, damaged goods. Whose fault it is, and how to fix it, I am unsure.

• Like 3

See this is how Demonland myths start, when you say serial offender, do you mean in missing set shots for goal or missing targets in general play, coz I can't actually remember the last time he had a set shot, I know he scored on on the run some time this season.......I just get frustrated, after a horrible loss we get topic upon topic bemoaning everything and everybody, yes it was a terrible miss but as Nasher says Jordie will know all about it

it's pretty clear saty

i said "continual simple execution clangers"

i also said "we all know players will miss gimme goals now and then"

you should read my post properly before you go off evangelizing about myths etc

• Like 2

Another post from heroes sitting behind a keyboard, who if they played footy, never missed a tackle, didn't fluff a kick, didn't duck at least once, never missed a simple set shot etc etc.............yeah right!....my worse...got the ball inside the 50 and handballed over the defender to a teammate in the goalsquare, unfortunately put too much behind it and put it over his head and through the sticks...sigh

Unfortunately I said the same thing to my partner....you could see he had way way too much time to think about it...it was bound to happen

So how much were you being payed to play at the time?

These guys are apparently elite at what they do.

Your argument is ridiculous.

The only excuse is a newbie first game and nerves disable his ability --has happened to me and I am a beautiful kick in and out of traffic --as to what JM excuse is --no talent simple really and no chance of improving at his stage of his career

• Like 2

So how much were you being payed to play at the time?

These guys are apparently elite at what they do.

Your argument is ridiculous.

Oh good, yet another infallible poster, are you elite at what you do, do you make a mistake now and again

it's pretty clear saty

i said "continual simple execution clangers"

i also said "we all know players will miss gimme goals now and then"

you should read my post properly before you go off evangelizing about myths etc

I did read it, again it is myth making, Jordie's disposal % was running at around 85 in the last few games

Jordie's was a high pressure kick?? No, a high pressure kick was Salem's set shot goal that won us the Essendon match with 19 seconds on the clock. There's a kid who can put his mind in the right headspace to win games... just treat it as a standard training kick.

It's all mental.

• Like 4

I played junior footy with Shane Mumford. He got a free kick in the goal square once, dead in front and hit the post. That was [censored] funny

But I have seen him coming out of the Bunyip bottle shop balancing 4 slabs on his shoulders - try that !!!!

• Like 1

Simon Eishold, the miss was bad enough, but what it would have meant had he nailed it, make it worse and leave it in my memory forever.

And as for the keyboard warrior comments

Have played and made many many mistakes, doesn't absolve you from criticism at any level just put your hand up and acknowledge it. Once you get personal and the attacks go over the top then IMO you become a keyboard warrior

Edited by Pennant St Dee

Oh good, yet another infallible poster, are you elite at what you do, do you make a mistake now and again

I did read it, again it is myth making, Jordie's disposal % was running at around 85 in the last few games

Its a fair point that elite footballers should not miss goals that any country footballer would slot through any day of the week.

That's not a dig at any one player but AFL footballers in general.

Have a look at any other goal kicking sport. Rugby league and union, the blokes taking the kicks either as a field goal or converting a tri rarely miss.

Pro soccer player taking a penalty kick rarely miss the goals completely.

NFL kickers or punters that miss can just about find themselves out of the job!

AFL goal kicking is no better at the set shot then any competition in the country. Its the only part of the game that has not improved with the sport growing in professionalism. If anything it has probably gone backwards. Goal kicking conversion is disgusting. I really doubt we will ever see a 1000 career goal kicker again let alone 100 in a season just because players don't go back and put them through the big sticks.

I really think it is a huge problem that the clubs just don't seem to be doing anything about. All clubs need a dedicated goal kicking coach

Didn't Persy Jone's miss tyne ball and king the goal post.

Indeed he did - has to be one of the worst.

Don't forget Malcolm Blight ran into an open goal and got the posts mixed up and dribbled it through the point section. That was humerous

Edited by Waltham33

I wonder if anyone was more frustrated, disappointed or embarrassed than Jordie?

oh...thats makes all ok then...kum by yah and all.
  • Like 2

I have a feeling Jordie will survive the cull at the end of the year, the way he spoke about him post match being a role player leads me to feel that. But jeez that miss was a disgrace, we kicked ourselves out of the game in that 3rd quarter and deserved to lose it after such disgraceful kicking.

On topic, Dutchy always had myself and my dad worried 5m directly in front. Boy he missed some bad ones!

I played basketball and was throwing the ball in from the defensive baseline after the opposition scored a basket - one of our players made a break towards our goal so i decided to do the long throw down the court - the ball slipped over the top of my fingers went straight up like a rocket - hit the opposition backboard above my head came hurtling down and hit me on the top of my head knocking me out cold.

Top that Jordie !

• Like 4

I have a feeling Jordie will survive the cull at the end of the year, the way he spoke about him post match being a role player leads me to feel that. But jeez that miss was a disgrace, we kicked ourselves out of the game in that 3rd quarter and deserved to lose it after such disgraceful kicking.

On topic, Dutchy always had myself and my dad worried 5m directly in front. Boy he missed some bad ones!

Ewoks had a role in Starwars movies too!

Whether it's a skill error or a mental error is irrelevant.

If your skills don't hold up under pressure then you're not good enough.

Jordie didn't have 'game on the line' type pressure but he would've had 'fear of missing an easy shot because I'm not a greak kick' pressure.

If you cannot overcome the latter type of pressure and it causes you to not only miss from 10m out but kick the ball like a bloke who has never seen a football in his life, then I don't think you are up to the required standard.

It's not an isolated incident. His miss from about 20 metres out directly in front in the first quarter against Port was nearly as bad.

• Like 4

I have seen some misses for goal in my time but none were as bad as Jordy Mc Kenzie's miss from point blank range a few metres out last week.

Others of note were Magners miss from 35 out ( didn't make the distance) and I remember Juice missing a sitter a few years ago.

Others have covered our lack of skill in other forums but I will say this. There is no room for a bloke who cannot kick a goal from that distance and whos skills are mediocre at best. I suppose then if he's a tagger that gets beaten and with little else going for him I would rather skip the tag and play someone else in a creative role in this team as sorry a state that it is in currently! Best groom creativity than a negative player who struggles in the rudiments of the game!

Footnote: I had forgotten about Simon Eishold's miss because I had purged it from my memory. But alas it returned! That really was the worst given the state of the game! Grrrrrr.

Jeff Farmer hit the post from a free kick 10 metres out directly in front. Strange things happen. There is a footy God.