Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Successful Conversions

Scipio

On Monday, the time had finally come when my partner admitted to being a Dees supporter.

After two and a half years spent half riding the emotional roller coaster alongside me, seeing my despair and manic moods, she finally agreed to jump on board with me. She uttered the words 'we won' after the Essendon game. This almost brought me to tears and made the win so much sweeter.

Since then she has told me about a conversation she had at work with a 'fellow' Dees supporter. Next step is to get her a membership for her birthday.

It's all the more sweeter because I've snatched her from the clutches of her evil Pies supporter Dad!

Does anyone else have a successful conversion story they'd like to share?

• Like 8

In about 1987/8, I was taken to the football by a Dees supporting friend from primary school. We had a ripper day. The son of Geelong-mad mother and Hawthorn father, I picked the Dees.

On the balance of the last few years, it's felt like a pretty cruel twist of fate!!

Still, bloody love my crappy club.

• Like 3

In the beginning were the Demons. And the Demons were the light, and where there was no light there was darkness. And the name of the darkness was Collingwood.

And strange things moved in the darkness, and their names were Geelong and Essendon, Footscray and Fitzroy. North Melbourne and South Melbourne moved they also, yea even Richmond and St Kilda. Carlton and Hawthorn lay beneath even the darkness.

Time passed, and each sixth day was Saturday, and on the seventh day was World of Sport, and on the last Saturday of September time stopped. And on that day there was only the light.

• Like 5

On Monday, the time had finally come when my partner admitted to being a Dees supporter.

After two and a half years spent half riding the emotional roller coaster alongside me, seeing my despair and manic moods, she finally agreed to jump on board with me. She uttered the words 'we won' after the Essendon game. This almost brought me to tears and made the win so much sweeter.

Since then she has told me about a conversation she had at work with a 'fellow' Dees supporter. Next step is to get her a membership for her birthday.

It's all the more sweeter because I've snatched her from the clutches of her evil Pies supporter Dad!

Does anyone else have a successful conversion story they'd like to share?

Congrats mate,many years of love and happiness to follow.

Congrats mate,many years of love and happiness to follow.

Here's hoping Jaz!

At least now I should avoid the struggle of convincing the kids (one day) to go for the Dees.

• Like 1

My girlfriend best mate, who is also my housemate. Went to the game with my Girlfriend who i converted from Essendon two years ago.. Good move! My housemate was wearing my old 03 demons long sleeve with number 4 on the back, she now goes for melbourne.. Used to follow richmond..

Further more my girlfriends first game she went to was the Essendon loss by 138 points and thefirst win she saw was last sunday! She reckons she has no voice anymore!

Last year my young cousin had switched his allegiance from Melbourne to Hawthorn. Living abroad, I only ever see him every year or so, and I was unaware of this tragedy until I went to pick him up to take him to Auskick and saw him decked out in brown and yellow. I asked him what had happened to his Melbourne guernsey and why he wanted to walk around looking like he'd be dunked in a toilet. After thinking about it for a couple of minutes, he went to his bedroom, changed into his Demons' gear, and off we went to Auskick. He's been sending me updates on the Dees every week since, and proudly sports Jack Viney's #7 on his back.

• Like 7

I mentioned this before but my daughter suggested that she wanted to stop barracking for Dees when she was 16 - too much heartbreak.

I told her that this was ok but I would never go to the footy with her again and I would cancel her MCC membership.

Tough love ( but necessary )

The aftermath - she is 24 and we happily attend the footy together every week.

• Like 8

I mentioned this before but my daughter suggested that she wanted to stop barracking for Dees when she was 16 - too much heartbreak.

I told her that this was ok but I would never go to the footy with her again and I would cancel her MCC membership.

Tough love ( but necessary )

The aftermath - she is 24 and we happily attend the footy together every week.

Brutal but effective! You are like a modern day Josef Stalin.

• Like 3

So,

My Grandfather played footy for the MFC reserves between the wars and was in the team that won almost every year. Since then ALL of my family were given the choice to support Melbourne or never speak of football. A pretty easy choice to make in my mind. All of my cousins are supporters of the MFC and their kids are and more importantly the partners were converted or accepted the MFC.

My GF is a MAD (i made it capital for a reason) Sydney swans supporter. I cannot really hold that against her as she lives in Sydney, Sponsors the club and the players know her etc.

When we started seeing each other i told her i would convert her and she laughed. She told me there was no way she would ever. Her best friend is a Richmond supporter and when i took them all to the Rich v Melb game a few weeks back it was Dad, Mum, My GF, Her Bestie, Her besties Husband and then me. Obviously Her Besties Husband and myself were finding places to watch the game in the MCC that served refreshing Beveridge’s.

We would occasionally come back to check up on the family. As the game was a ripper we decided to watch the last Qtr from the seats. As it was getting exciting i started to hear my GF yelling "Go Dees". This was a statement i thought i would never hear out of her mouth. Let alone as she sat next to her crazy mad Richmond supporting best friend.

It’s not a membership and scarf just quite yet but its baby steps in the right direction.

• Like 4

My ex girlfriend was a MAD Rabbitohs supporter, still is in fact, but the point is that she HATED AFL. Lived in Dubbo and now in Melbourne, her friend up there told her to go support Collingwood, she then moved here and bought a Pies scarf. Long story short, took her to a few games and she's been a Dees supporter ever since. I haven't seen that damn Collingwood scarf ever since either.

When I first met Mrs Deeoldfart nearly 50 years ago she was a rabid Bulldogs supporter. Being a smart girl, she soon realised that converting to my beloved Demons was an integral part of the 'package'. The transition took a little while, but she's now a Demon through and through, and we have established a flourishing lineage of proud Deeoldfart Demons. I long for the day when their 'unflagging' support is rewarded with a Flag, and I'll wager that you do too!

On Saturday at my local I was having some more beers carrying on from an early start to the socoroos match speaking with the young irish bartender whome is yet to pick an afl team. He was leaning towards essendon (much to my discust) I made him a deal if the dees beat the dons sunday night he becomes one of us and I'd take him down to his first game vise versa with essendon. I went and saw him last night too watch the state of origin and he is a man of his word not a member yet but I'll bring him along and try my best

• Like 2

Two things:

1. You realize she will probably want rings and kids for this act?

2. Why haven't you been buying her a membership anyway?

Miss Deeko and I have only been together 11 months and she was a bombers supporter however has now officially converted.

The two things that got her:

1. My ridiculous obsession and passion for the club.

2. Dom Tyson

The second point worries me as that I am concerned Miss Deeko wants to become Miss Tyson.

• Like 4

Two things:

1. You realize she will probably want rings and kids for this act?

2. Why haven't you been buying her a membership anyway?

I can only afford to pay for one additional membership and that one was going to the dog.

My girlfriend of 3 years has always been an Essendon supporter (not a die hard, but followed them) I convinced her because my passion lies so heavily in Melbourne that I would be so happy if she would consider coming across as a Melbourne Supporter, learn the players and competitive teams, watch 360 with me etc. She made an effort to learn all the Melbourne players names and number (At the gym, her locker number might be 12 she would say "Number 12.. Dom Tyson..Traded to Melbourne from GWS with Christian Salem in the draft"

At the start of the year she couldn't believe she had put in all this effort and time to turn and support a club that I had promised her would turn it around this year. Following the match against the eagles we have turned into a serious outfit. When we went to the Richmond game she couldn't believe we won.. Hearing her yell out BALL! and GO TYSON!, OMG DAWES!! made me so happy..The match against Essendon where we were both biting our nails and on the edge of our seats we were so happy we came away with the win. It made me such a happy man

• Like 3

My mum who always tells me, my brother and dad how boring footy is, was barracking her heart out in the last 8 minutes of the Essendon match, so finally feel like she's a Dees supporter

• Like 2

My best bud came over from new zealand about 12 years ago, and automatically chose essendon. 10 years ago I converted him, I told him no best friend of mine can barrack for essendon, so you will just have to become a melbourne supporter. I gave him an old jumper and a scarf of mine. I felt pretty bad the last few years lol on account f pour performances, but its all coming together now!

Good stuff guys and gals!

My mum barracked for Richmond as a kid but lost interest in footy altogether until I took her along to the '94 finals - she is now diehard and more committed than me or my siblings.

My 8 year old cousin is from a Richmond supporting family who don't go to games - he switched to Essendon a year or so ago cos all his friends at school & Auskick go for the Bombers and none go for Richmond. Well after Melbourne beat Richmond and almost beat Port he converted to Melbourne being his "second" team. My dad brought him along to Queens Bday and the first half of the Essendon game (he had to go out for dinner that night) and he was decked out in Melbourne scarf, Melbourne footy signed by some players and even a Melbourne transistor radio! He also signed him up as a junior member as part of the clubs promo a couple of weeks back to nominate a free junior member. At dinner apparently he was driving his dad crazy listening to the game on the radio and at the end said "we won by a point!" Conversion complete.

• Like 2