Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can you please explain to me why 'leaders' at a club have to sign mid-season?

I think supporters who have a deep care and connection to the club have the right to feel agitated and fed up with the way in which Frawley is dealing with the contract situation at large. There are many reasons why and here are a few.

- Frawley's obvious brain fades on game day. Whether it be missed sheppards, pathetic chasing efforts, attempting to chest mark the ball rather than reaching away from his opponent to give himself a better chance to mark the ball, etc etc.

- The fact his initial comments about putting contract talks on hold were purely to do with him wanting to know the club was headed in the right direction and that Roos was going to hang around.

- His (more recent) continual automated dribble stating his love for the MFC, loyalty as a country boy etc which is only further adding unnecessary pressure to the situation as it's clear we're improving dramatically under Roos, which is the reason he initially wanted to hold off on talks.

It's not just a simple, 'I'm putting off talks until the end of the season'. His effort in games in comparison to other 'leaders' of our club has been very questionable and it's extremely disappointing from a supporters point of view. His remarks about the contract, reason he was holding off etc have caused further debate because it's clear we've improved and to me it's really disappointing that his output and effort onfield to perform acts of pressure for the team speaks volumes of where he's at in his head. You don't see that with Dawes do you.

I find it more baffling that yourself and Machsy continually talk down the whole situation.

We're a club on the up. Frawley needs to keep his mouth completely shut and give the media nothing when they ask and display performances that reflect where his head and heart are at for the time being.

It's the absolute least he can do, and he isn't doing it.

• Like 5

We're a club on the up. Frawley needs to keep his mouth completely shut and give the media nothing when they ask and display performances that reflect where his head and heart are at for the time being.

This was my problem with Scully and now Frawley. I respect ( but dislike ) that contract talks will be put on hold until the end of the contract. It is the players prerogative - it is their livelihood and the player and his manager need to do what is best for them.

But why do our boys find the necessity to talk about the situation. Compare to this Gazza Jnr - it drove the supporters and his coach balmy but he said nothing except - "I will make decision at seasons end".

I understand this new world of free agency and we will see more and more players leave their final decisions until seasons end. Just shut up about it and say nothing rather than do a Scully and lie through your teeth. I am so dirtied by the Scully situation that I take the stance that any player that hasn't signed by mid-season is gone - if they stay it is a bonus. I emotionally detach myself from that player.

Maybe I am just no that concerned with the situation - I don't know why this doesn't bother me.

LeBron James has an opt-out clause he can use in a few weeks and he has steadfastly decided not to talk about it.

Just because Frawley is not smart enough to give the old 'no comment' doesn't mean I damn him for it.

If he stays, he stays. Great. If he goes, we will move on.

But unless he has already signed a contract elsewhere like Scully, this just doesn't bother me.

If I was in charge of the FA rules I would make it a rule that you can't re-sign until the FA period begins.

Just do not see it as a failure of leadership; clubs do it to players all the time and then the club turns around and demands everything of those players they nearly spurned.

• Like 9

Maybe I am just no that concerned with the situation - I don't know why this doesn't bother me.

LeBron James has an opt-out clause he can use in a few weeks and he has steadfastly decided not to talk about it.

Just because Frawley is not smart enough to give the old 'no comment' doesn't mean I damn him for it.

But unless he has already signed a contract elsewhere like Scully, this just doesn't bother me.

If I was in charge of the FA rules I would make it a rule that you can't re-sign until the FA period begins.

Just do not see it as a failure of leadership; clubs do it to players all the time and then the club turns around and demands everything of those players they nearly spurned.

That pretty much encapsulates my attitude rpfc

Chip wouldn't be that big a loss to our side, he goes out Hogan becomes our second forward in his place and we get a top 5 pick for our troubles,

No point stressing about blokes leaving its going to happen more and more in modern footy

Fair enough.

However, you haven't made mention of his efforts onfield so far this year.

How would you assess his performances? I'm talking about his intensity and willingness to work as hard as he can for the side.

His onfield leadership.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

This was my problem with Scully and now Frawley. I respect ( but dislike ) that contract talks will be put on hold until the end of the contract. It is the players prerogative - it is their livelihood and the player and his manager need to do what is best for them.

But why do our boys find the necessity to talk about the situation. Compare to this Gazza Jnr - it drove the supporters and his coach balmy but he said nothing except - "I will make decision at seasons end".

I understand this new world of free agency and we will see more and more players leave their final decisions until seasons end. Just shut up about it and say nothing rather than do a Scully and lie through your teeth. I am so dirtied by the Scully situation that I take the stance that any player that hasn't signed by mid-season is gone - if they stay it is a bonus. I emotionally detach myself from that player.

And Ablett played one of his best seasons for the Cats as a departing gesture. Oddly Frawley does not seem to be doing his best to play up to the value of the enormous sums being touted for his future services. Me thinks done deal locked in ages ago. Edited by america de cali

Past history would suggest that " I'll look at my options at the end of the year " is code for " See Ya "

90% sure he's gorne. So be it. The take that it all depends on Roos is a furphy. Going to a new club would see new coaches for him anyway. It's all about the $s I'm afraid.

Past history would suggest that " I'll look at my options at the end of the year " is code for " See Ya "

90% sure he's gorne. So be it. The take that it all depends on Roos is a furphy. Going to a new club would see new coaches for him anyway. It's all about the $s I'm afraid.

I agree...but we havent had a Roos b4. Dynamics are interesting ...lol

As much as I'll be ridiculed I dont really care. I dont rate Chip anywhere above good. Theres a lot of good out there to select from...if you wheel and deal and it seems weve learnt how to :)

Fair enough.

However, you haven't made mention of his efforts onfield so far this year.

How would you assess his performances? I'm talking about his intensity and willingness to work as hard as he can for the side.

His onfield leadership.

It hasn't been glaringly bad. That vision of Terlich being left to his fate is damning but being a forward myself I am sympathetic when you are dragged to the backline and you are stuffed and you can't give an acceptable effort. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt for that.

I have seen a few games live and I have seen he works very hard to be that lead up target.

Where he suffers is when he doesn't have the confidence to mark the ball out in his hands in front of his face and also when he doesn't engage in simple forward target 'plays' such as double leading, zig-zag leading, pushing off opponents before leads, etc. He seems to have a particular desire to stand his ground and take a mark on his 'side' at waist height. It comes off from time to time for some unknown reason and he continues to do it. I think Clint Bizkit has seen this as well from memory...

So I will mark him harshly for that because I know that anyone can do these things. Is it a failure of leadership? Yeah, sure. I would say it is on the low end of the richter scale when it comes to leadership failures. And I also will say that he has had games where he has broken out of that and been a monster down there. He just looks like the ultimate confidence forward and if you can get him up and about early he will repay the faith.

With all that said - our forwards have received some terrible service all year - it is still spasmodic and slow to come in, and when it does come in it is rarely on the right side for any of our tall-medium forwards.

Lastly, there was one poster who wanted to drop Dawes after last week which I think would be met by utter disbelief by Roos and co. down at the Dees. I still think that our troubles, and by extension Frawleys, remain ball use forward of centre - both the lack of it and the delivery of it.

And that is why judgement of Frawley is so fraught this season.

• Like 1

I agree...but we havent had a Roos b4. Dynamics are interesting

I am starting to think that maybe he has agreed to a deal with another club last season when we were going so well and didn't expect Roos to become our coach.

Now that Roos is our coach he has come up with "wanting to c the direction of the club, c improvement in the club, wanting to know who our next coach will be after Roos" etc so that he can basically stall till end of the season.

There is talk about how many coaches he has had in his career but moving clubs will continue this trend too.

Edited by DemonOX

He will be a significant loss if he goes. At some point we have to stop rebuilding and developing and start achieving. Turns 26 in September and has played 128 games. Defensively has the strength and speed to play on mid and key forwards. Experienced Key Defenders of his quality are hard to find.Look at how many clubs would make him an offer. If he does choose to leave it will be a team like the Hawks who can promise finals footy year in year out.

Losing Frawley for a first rounder will not be a win for the club. Of course it is his choice not ours.

• Like 2

are you guys serious about this. a non shepherd means he is leaving ? he lead up all day and took plenty of marks. Watts signed a new contract and misses shephards, tackles and lacks intent at times week in week out.

Frawley was playing as a key forward and was racking up the km's

As I said Common trait which is hard to break or reading to much into

Committed to the cause - Yes Roos is big on the 1%ers and this was a clear case of him not doing it and it is not the first time, please don't give me that km's run excuse, he was already there all he had to do was use his bigger frame and some grit to work Elliott away from Terlich.

I have no idea whether he is staying or going but this just wasn't good enough, it would have been highlighted during PGR with the players

James Frawley has shithouse body language and is not a leader in any way shape or form. If he wants to leave, I say let him. Let's use the pick we get for him on someone who can help make the players around him better.

So ignoring your MFC-paranoia bias, does that mean you think both Mundy & Fyfe are leaving Freo too?

How do we know for certain that he's we're going to get band 1 compensation? Has the AFL not kept specific details of their formula secret? I think they've said the 2 factors are the size of the new contract and the age of the free agent. If he went to a Hawthorn for example, he wouldn't be on huge $$$ so perhaps we'd only get an end of first round pick? Around here everyone has been very quick to assume we'll get a top 5 pick as compensation. I think the AFL has proven over the past few years that it's safe to assume nothing as they seem to make up rules as they go!

How do we know for certain that he's we're going to get band 1 compensation? Has the AFL not kept specific details of their formula secret? I think they've said the 2 factors are the size of the new contract and the age of the free agent. If he went to a Hawthorn for example, he wouldn't be on huge $$$ so perhaps we'd only get an end of first round pick? Around here everyone has been very quick to assume we'll get a top 5 pick as compensation. I think the AFL has proven over the past few years that it's safe to assume nothing as they seem to make up rules as they go!

I'd be surprised if we didn't get band 1 compensation because I have no doubt Frawley will be offered a lucrative contract. I would assume one of the major reasons for his departure would be money. I can't imagine Frawley crossing to Hawthorn for 300K a year, where he could get at least $600K a year with us.

I know Frawley wants to play finals but he's not going to play for peanuts.

On a side note, if Frawley has made up his mind to leave (which he probably has) I wish he'd have the balls to man up and tell everyone and stop lying through his teeth. I would respect his decision a hell of a lot more if he was up front about it, rather than finding out next year that he'd already made up his mind in late 2013 / early 2014.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1

With all that said - our forwards have received some terrible service all year - it is still spasmodic and slow to come in, and when it does come in it is rarely on the right side for any of our tall-medium forwards.

Lastly, there was one poster who wanted to drop Dawes after last week which I think would be met by utter disbelief by Roos and co. down at the Dees. I still think that our troubles, and by extension Frawleys, remain ball use forward of centre - both the lack of it and the delivery of it.

I wouldn't have thought that this is so hard to understand. We can praise the improvement in our midfield and how miserly our defense has been but our entries into the forward 50 are definitely are a very big work in progress.

James Frawley has shithouse body language and is not a leader in any way shape or form. If he wants to leave, I say let him. Let's use the pick we get for him on someone who can help make the players around him better.

I don't know what you are seeing that I'm not. He may not be a leader of the club but poor body language ? He doesn't drop his head - he doesn't slag off his team-mates. does he make mistakes - sure - but so do all our players. He took 11 marks on Monday and I counted on three occasions where he should have put his arms out on the lead and taken it in front of the body - instead he got it punched away by opting to chest mark. He is working hard on repeat leading and constantly presenting.

He is not our best this season but far from our worst and is playing in a new position - alternating CHF with Dawes which is the hardest position on the ground to play.

I feel people are willing to mark him way down because of his contractual situation.

• Like 2

Someone mentioned poor body language from Frawley ?

Let's revisit this after last night.

His unbridled joy after the win and in the singing of the club song was palpable.

I thought he worked really hard last night. There was no better indication of this than the last Kent goal. Watching the replay, Frawley was sprinting his guts out to catch up on the outside of Kent, I suspect to help if the Kent run went pear shaped. ( not sure he could have caught up to provide an option).

He may well be gone but I don't think he is playing football with a "switched off " attitude.

• Like 6