Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Christian Salem

If Salem turns out to be as good as Yze, we should count our lucky stars.

Adem was a top player, he certainly wasn't soft and he was not a frontrunner.

Sorry but they have. At Casey he isn't tagging, in fact a couple of games ago he was tagged. It's why he's getting such big numbers.

But you are right in the respect that they want to broaden his game and if he gets another shot he will be expected to do more than just stop his opponent.

I agree that he is not tagging at Casey but I think that Roos has a different idea on tagging.

The problem with McKenzie in the past is that his only focus was to stop his opponent and you can become too predictable. His opponents never worried about where he was so they could concentrate purely on hunting the ball.

Cross to me is what a tagger should be - a beautiful mix between shutting down but also taking opportunities to get your own ball when it is on offer. Cross's opponents need to worry a little where he is and that is a good thing for tagger. Basically McKenzie has to learn to tag (which is what I think is essentially his go) and have his opponents respect him enough to worry that he will hurt you if you dont watch him.

But on Magner - I had no problem with Neeld asking him to tag in the middle - but he put as a defensive forward deep in the forward pocket- almost the small forward role - a radical departure.

• Like 1

Yze was a outside player with a fantastic kick, I think Salem will be better. Much better.

Salem is actually more of an inside player. Thats where he played in the TAC cup games and he was averaging something ridiculous like 144 SC points a game. The kids can seriously. Cant wait till he hits the 70 game mark.

• Like 2

I agree that he is not tagging at Casey but I think that Roos has a different idea on tagging.

The problem with McKenzie in the past is that his only focus was to stop his opponent and you can become too predictable. His opponents never worried about where he was so they could concentrate purely on hunting the ball.

Cross to me is what a tagger should be - a beautiful mix between shutting down but also taking opportunities to get your own ball when it is on offer. Cross's opponents need to worry a little where he is and that is a good thing for tagger. Basically McKenzie has to learn to tag (which is what I think is essentially his go) and have his opponents respect him enough to worry that he will hurt you if you dont watch him.

But on Magner - I had no problem with Neeld asking him to tag in the middle - but he put as a defensive forward deep in the forward pocket- almost the small forward role - a radical departure.

I agree with all of that. The point I was trying to make is he is playing a different role at Casey. Under Neeld he lost all of his offensive side and he's trying to rediscover it. His numbers suggest he has but in the interim others have grabbed their opportunity and Jordie will have to make the most of it if he gets a chance.
  • Like 1

Salem is actually more of an inside player. Thats where he played in the TAC cup games and he was averaging something ridiculous like 144 SC points a game. The kids can seriously. Cant wait till he hits the 70 game mark.

That's what I meant by saying Yze was a outside player compared to Salem, but I think you are right, by the time Salem gets 50-70 games under his belt we will be watching a gem and bagging the PHW even more than we do now.

I can't believe so many people underestimated what he could do in his first year, but seriously what a confident and skilled player he is. The best thing is how he is being backed and staying in the team with Kennedy-Harris, hope they both stay in the team for the rest of the year. We've finally found a couple of good young players who are seriously in the top bunch, if neither get a nomination it's a joke. It'll be our best year for new players since Scully and Trengove, and I guess that was expected because they were 1&2 (I won't talk about how it turned out afterward)

I can't believe so many people underestimated what he could do in his first year, but seriously what a confident and skilled player he is. The best thing is how he is being backed and staying in the team with Kennedy-Harris, hope they both stay in the team for the rest of the year. We've finally found a couple of good young players who are seriously in the top bunch, if neither get a nomination it's a joke. It'll be our best year for new players since Scully and Trengove, and I guess that was expected because they were 1&2 (I won't talk about how it turned out afterward)

I sincerely hope he turns out better than those two!

What is it about left foot kicks that make so many of them look sublime?

(It's possibly not even backed up statistically, but it just seems there are so many who have this liquid style which isn't seen as often in right foot kicks).

I find it interesting that the current batch of left footers throughout the AFL now seem to have discovered their right foot as well. In the past as I recall many were regularly caught if required to use the right. Maybe just some sort of overall upskilling.

I must say (and I don't think I am alone) that I doubted whether both Salem and JKH would have stayed together in the team for so long in their first year. They are quite obviously fulfilling Roos' requirements and playing the roles he has assigned them.

Well done Chris and Jay, and well done recruiters, development staff and all the coaches.

We are certainly a prouder club for all your contributions.

I find it interesting that the current batch of left footers throughout the AFL now seem to have discovered their right foot as well. In the past as I recall many were regularly caught if required to use the right. Maybe just some sort of overall upskilling.

I must say (and I don't think I am alone) that I doubted whether both Salem and JKH would have stayed together in the team for so long in their first year. They are quite obviously fulfilling Roos' requirements and playing the roles he has assigned them.

Well done Chris and Jay, and well done recruiters, development staff and all the coaches.

We are certainly a prouder club for all your contributions.

I agree mono. I expected that maybe they would alternate in and out of the team, playing a similar role, for a combined total of perhaps a dozen games for the year (if lucky!). As it is they are keeping a string of more experienced players out of the team. The future is looking brighter and brighter.

I agree mono. I expected that maybe they would alternate in and out of the team, playing a similar role, for a combined total of perhaps a dozen games for the year (if lucky!). As it is they are keeping a string of more experienced players out of the team. The future is looking brighter and brighter.

...except for some of those experienced players being kept out of the team

• Like 1

(It's possibly not even backed up statistically, but it just seems there are so many who have this liquid style which isn't seen as often in right foot kicks).

Same with Cricketers, a left handed cover drive is a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

Same with Cricketers, a left handed cover drive is a thing of beauty.

Serious question Steve why is a left handed one any more beautiful than a well played right handed one?

Surely a good kick is a good kick no matter what foot it comes from!

Left footers, imo, are generally a better kick than right footers. However, they definitely kicky more around their body/kick with an arc, and are nowhere near as good on their opposite foot than right footers are on theirs.

Hawthorn came up with a similar theory 10 years ago and sure enough, left foot kicks had a marginally better kicking efficiency as opposed to right foot kicks.

Serious question Steve why is a left handed one any more beautiful than a well played right handed one?

Surely a good kick is a good kick no matter what foot it comes from!

Good question. I don't have an answer.

It just seems to look more natural, fluent, even effortless

• Like 1

Hawthorn came up with a similar theory 10 years ago and sure enough, left foot kicks had a marginally better kicking efficiency as opposed to right foot kicks.

That's true. They still use that philosophy now.

I'll add to that by saying the reason is because most opponents will instinctively guard the right side of a player. A left footer will turn the opposite way from the contest and get into more space to execute the kick without pressure.

The observation that they are worse off their right foot is an extension of the above reason, in that they are less often in a position where they will need to use it. Viney is a classic example of that. He needs to at least get it up to adequate to be an A Grade player, because as he becomes more damaging the opposition will start consciously guarding his left foot more.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere on here, but that passage of play last weekend with Toumpas in which he ran from the left side of Jimmy all the way to the right to not only shepherd, but knock Ebert to the ground and then run on and receive the ball was the most significant and exciting thing I've seen from a player at the MFC for sometime. And he is a first year player.

Sacrificial acts for the team like those in which Salem regularly executes have been sorely missed at our club for far too long and I'll go as far to say have contributed and filtered through to the rest of the players and the environment.

Never in years gone by would Brad Green, Cam Bruce, Col Sylvia, Moloney, etc ever even consider taking out a player in manner in which Salem did in that passage of play. They all would have stayed boundary side of Toumpas screaming for the forward handball until the youngster had to pass it for fear of getting a mouthful from a 'senior leader'.

The fact that Salem's instinct was to shepherd first, then push forward as an option is something that will stick in my mind for a long long time. To have that sense of team oriented play matched with the other unbelievable gifts and attributes he possesses is astounding.

Salem and Viney both have that instinctive team first attitude. It's an absolute gift to have them at our club.

Bring on the new breed..

• Like 3