Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anyone remember 1987?

Dees2014

For those of you who remember 1987 AFL season, Melbourne had not been in the finals for 23 years. Out of the first 9 games we won 4. We ended up 12 wins and 10 losses and squeezed into the top five as it was then, winning six out of the last seven games. We had a very young and inexperienced side (including 19 year old jim Stynes in his first year in the senior) under new coach John Northey who tried to drum in unprecedented disciplines into the side's play including at relentless running game,

We eventually won two finals against the Swans and North only to be knocked out of the preliminary final in the last kick of the day by Hawthorn after the inexperienced Stynes ran through the mark after the siren resulting in a 15 metre penalty and Buckanara slotted the goal from 50 metres out.

It is not impossible for us to do this again. I see a growing self belief, with improvement every week as we go through the season with increasing confidence in the coach and his game-plan, just like Northey then. I don't buy that just because we have only won 3 out of 9, that it is impossible to improve greatly on that post bye. Let's hope history will repeat itself.

Go Dees!

• Like 6

For those of you who remember 1987 AFL season, Melbourne had not been in the finals for 23 years. Out of the first 9 games we won 4. We ended up 12 wins and 10 losses and squeezed into the top five as it was then, winning six out of the last seven games. We had a very young and inexperienced side (including 19 year old jim Stynes in his first year in the senior) under new coach John Northey who tried to drum in unprecedented disciplines into the side's play including at relentless running game,

We eventually won two finals against the Swans and North only to be knocked out of the preliminary final in the last kick of the day by Hawthorn after the inexperienced Stynes ran through the mark after the siren resulting in a 15 metre penalty and Buckanara slotted the goal from 50 metres out.

It is not impossible for us to do this again. I see a growing self belief, with improvement every week as we go through the season with increasing confidence in the coach and his game-plan, just like Northey then. I don't buy that just because we have only won 3 out of 9, that it is impossible to improve greatly on that post bye. Let's hope history will repeat itself.

Go Dees!

I, remember it well.

• Like 1

Go Dees!

Except for a win in the PF this time!! ;)

• Like 1

Best ever year as a Demon supporter, especially the last game when we beat the Doggies , and Hawthorn beat the Cats ,to propel us into the finals.

• Like 6

Go Dees!

Wasn't born yet, but this gets me excited.

Would give anything for my young fella to relive what I did during that great ride which saw my Dees make finals for the first time in my life.

For my own benefit I'd go through it again this year even the agonising Preliminary Final defeat

No one at arctic park will ever forget that day......'sniff' :(

Nothing's impossible.....but reality suggests theres a lot of work ahead

Happy to just take it a week at a time with no expectations.

In the final round we were 24 points down against the doggies at the Western Oval mid way in the third quarter and the cats were looking like they were going to win. It was almost like a miracle at the finish.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

We were behind the Melbourne goals for that Doggies game listening to the game from, I think, Kardinia Park (as it then was) as Hawthorn had to win for Melbourne to make the final five. Dunstall kicked a goal to put the Hawks in front with moments to go. There was a Huge roar at Western Oval and Robbie Flower, who was just in front of us, started walking off thinking the game had finished.

I remember attending training at the Junction Oval with what seemed like thousands. Northey was fantastic in encouraging the team to lap up the finals feeling and making us all feel part of the event.

We were behind the Melbourne goals for that Doggies game listening to the game from, I think, Kardinia Park (as it then was) as Hawthorn had to win for Melbourne to make the final five. Dunstall kicked a goal to put the Hawks in front with moments to go. There was a Huge roar at Western Oval and Robbie Flower, who was just in front of us, started walking off thinking the game had finished.

I remember attending training at the Junction Oval with what seemed like thousands. Northey was fantastic in encouraging the team to lap up the finals feeling and making us all feel part of the event.

You must have been near me. I still remember Robbie floating across the pack to take that mark...

Best day at an old suburban groundi have had.

Yeah and would have to say without doubt it is one of my 3 Best sporting memories and that takes in my own sporting career as a player ( Footy and Cricket) and spectating highlights as well!

Magic Magic moments! The last 7 games or so was totally exhilarating, just watching the team "Evolve" into a beautifully culture driven John Northey lead outfit!!

In particular that last game at Footscray!!

Ah The memories!!! Not to mention the after Match celebrations!

But that's another story!!

• Like 2

I was only one at the time but every Melbourne fan I know that was alive at the time relives the year with a glow in their eyes.

I've watched a few games from that year. Seemed like a great time to be a fan.

That said, the standards are higher, and the team is coming from a considerably further way back. I think the team is now in the 5-16 range in that they can beat anyone within that range, which is obviously very broad, but I'd say they're still towards the bottom of that list. They can beat anyone from 5th to 18th imo. But considering how on par 10-11 teams are on game day, it makes it a lot harder to make finals.

I tipped 6 wins at the start of the year, they can probably win upwards of 10, but there are still some very good teams to play (Hawks, Cats, Power, North, Freo, Pies), as well as away games against the Suns, Eagles, Power.

Can beat Bombers, Roos, Dogs, Lions, Giants. Reality kicks in and I'm just looking forward to seeing this team compete every week.

At some time during that era Mick Malthouse, who was Footscray's coach, said during a TV interview that he doubted Melbourne supporters knew the way to the Western Oval.

Well we found our way there that day and let Mick know we were there. The poor bugger and his coaching staff of one or two were perched on a raised wooden platform up a set of vertical metal steps on the wing in the outer. I can't guarantee it was that day but after a Demon win he was coming down the stairs and a mate yelled "yeah we know how to get here Mick. You just drive to sh!tsville and keep going". Happy days.

Back on topic, I can see some similarities between the 87 side and the current one although I think the 87 side was seen to be underperforming earlier in the season. Having said that both coaches are/were brilliant at getting the best out the men under their control

Edited by fndee
  • Like 3

We eventually won two finals against the Swans and North

Should say: we smashed them senseless from the opening bounce to the final siren. The game against Nth was the best I've ever seen us play.

• Like 5

My favourite year as a dees supporter I was 8 years old and my very first game was dees v swans final I was absouletly obsessed from that day on

I was at the game at Western Oval and the three finals matches mentioned. I remember sitting down on the terraces v Footscray (yes... very little seating in the outer in those days) listening to someone else's tranny which was tuned in to the game at Geelong. When the siren sounded and we knew we had made the finals we jumped the fence and danced on Western Oval. The next two games at the G were heaven! We thrashed North and belted Sydney (during the year the Swans had scored two 200 point games in a row). We played a magnificent game v Hawks and had several opportunities to put them away in the last quarter... the rest is history. I remember being bitter about the 15 metre penalty and still maintain that it was the result of a pedantic-minded umpire who was never in step with the spirit of the game!

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 3

At the western oval that day i reckon about 45,000 crammed into that little ground.

30,000 of them were Demons!

It really was insane.

Walking down Dynon rd. after the the game i heard a guy yell.

"We are there" and thats when it really hit me.

We were playing in September.

The next week the G was chockers and we absolutely killed Nought.

Glorious!!

• Like 3

At some time during that era Mick Malthouse, who was Footscray's coach, said during a TV interview that he doubted Melbourne supporters knew the way to the Western Oval.

Well we found our way there that day and let Mick know we were there. The poor bugger and his coaching staff of one or two were perched on a raised wooden platform up a set of vertical metal steps on the wing in the outer. I can't guarantee it was that day but after a Demon and he was coming down the stairs win a mate yelled "yeah we know how to get here Mick. You just drive to sh!tsville and keep going". Happy days.

Back on topic, I can see some similarities between the 87 side and the current one although I think the 87 side was seen to be underperforming earlier in the season. Having said that both coaches are/were brilliant at getting the best out the men under their control

we're inferior to the Dees '87 team, by some way yet. we're more like 85', or 86ish. the form is similar to 86, but the list isn't as good yet.

The last 2 months of '87 were incredible ...

I too was at the the Western Oval for that last H&A game of 1987 and the day was memorable, joyous and unforgettable. In the same round, we needed the Hawks to defeat the Cats at Geelong for us to have a chance to play finals. From memory, Hawthorn were 3 goals down against Geelong entering the time on period. They got up and won and in doing so, they made sure we were going to be playing finals again for the first time since 1964. I'll bet Hawthorn weren't thinking they'd be playing the Demons 3 weeks later in a PF.

We were underdogs against North and Sydney in the EF and SF but obliterated both teams playing a fantastic brand of footy. Also went to all the finals but I remember the PF most for all the missed shots and that we had a strong wind behind our backs for the first 3 quarters. We had our chances that day but didn't take them. The other lasting memory was how much support we had in the finals - both from our own supporters and also from those who supported other teams. Suddenly, we were the team to watch.

It was a great 2 months. At some stage in the next few years, I'm confident we'll get on a roll just like we did in '87.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2