• Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

• Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

GAME DAY - Round 6

Whispering_Jack

Some interesting points from AFL website:

1. Melbourne has won just one game but the Demons have shown vast defensive improvement. Last season the Demons conceded an average of 122 points per game compared to 82 per game in 2014.

2. The Demons are ranked last in the competition for centre clearances, averaging just eight per game. The stats has been one of the Swans' stronges as they rank sixth in the League with an average of 13 a game.

4. The Swans continue to struggle in the ruck following the departure of Shane Mumford. In 2013 they were ranked first for hit-outs and clearances. In 2014, they sit 12th and 10th respectively.

5. Melbourne's improvement within games has been noticeable, having won nine of the 20 quarters they have played in this year. The Swans have won just eight from their five games.

Odds:

Sydney $1.07

Melbourne $8.50

I really have no clue whats going to happen going in to this game - all I know is we need to come in with the intensity of the Carlton game (40 tackles is not good enough).

I am not sure if our defense will hold without Frawley/Garland (those are the two that I would put on Buddy).

I thought our midfield would have been performing better this year after the inclusions - (Viney, Jones, Tyson, Vince, Cross etc. and we can only manage 8 centre clearances a game)

We will get flogged and BT and Daaaaahhhhhhhhhcy would be horrible to listen too, good thing I don't hear them at the game.

Don't you say we'll get flogged on every match day thread?

Having said that I think we'll have a bit of a set back tonight. The step in class in opposition is stark compared to St Kilda, GWS, GC etc..(disappointing to lose to all those sides)

Don't you say we'll get flogged on every match day thread?

Having said that I think we'll have a bit of a set back tonight. The step in class in opposition is stark compared to St Kilda, GWS, GC etc..(disappointing to lose to all those sides)

Yep, but I think that we will get flogged in every game, sad but true.

Not one game I ever go to anymore do I honestly think we are a good chance to win this.

I usually only see us being... Well, us. And the opposition playing well and flogging us.

I hope Salem is not the sub.

I hope the Josk Kelly trade isn't going to be brought up by the greater demonland community (or media for that matter) if he doesn't get 25 touches, 2 goals and a rising star on debut. I'm not optimistic, in fact I'm sure we'll probably see some Toumpas-Wines action for good measure.

• Like 1

I hope the Josk Kelly trade isn't going to be brought up by the greater demonland community (or media for that matter) if he doesn't get 25 touches, 2 goals and a rising star on debut. I'm not optimistic, in fact I'm sure we'll probably see some Toumpas-Wines action for good measure.

Haha probably! Salem as sub may well happen, I'd just like to see him play a full game to get a good gauge as to where he is at.

PS I'm expecting 30 touches, 3 goals and him to be stiffed on rising star by a young no namer from GWS.

• Like 2

Surprisingly, I don't expect a flogging. I doubt we'll win but I hope we learnt a lot from a) the WCE match and b) The viewing of the intensity of the Cats v Hawks last week.

I actually see tonight as a great test to see if Roos is getting through to the players. Have they been able to learn from these experiences? If we can maintain our intensity and relentless attack, we'll still lose but we can hold our heads high.

• Like 1

Some interesting points from AFL website:

2. The Demons are ranked last in the competition for centre clearances, averaging just eight per game. The stats has been one of the Swans' strongest as they rank sixth in the League with an average of 13 a game.

4. The Swans continue to struggle in the ruck following the departure of Shane Mumford. In 2013 they were ranked first for hit-outs and clearances. In 2014, they sit 12th and 10th respectively.

Wait, so is it 6th or 10th?

We will get flogged and BT and Daaaaahhhhhhhhhcy would be horrible to listen too, good thing I don't hear them at the game.

I'm glad someone mentioned Darcy. Isn't he a self important, humourless [censored]. I know many dont like BT but at least he isn't the poster boy for the beige commentary and analysis that makes me want for the footy I knew a fair while back.

• Like 2

The article says "If you make a spoil, you can't be happy with yourself and think the play's over because he's like a 160cm midfielder."

This is good news because both T-Mac and myself both tower over Buddy.

yes I saw that - I don't think Buddy would be too pleased being called a 160cm midfielder.

I think McDonald is getting a bit ahead of himself - God knows what is going on in his head!

Sam-Newman-on-The-Footy-Show-6114007.jpg

If we could do this with spuds like Jamie Bennell, Adam Maric, Cale Morton and Paul Johnson in the team, we can do it again tonight

GO DEMONS

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

yes I saw that - I don't think Buddy would be too pleased being called a 160cm midfielder.

I think McDonald is getting a bit ahead of himself - God knows what is going on in his head!

Sam-Newman-on-The-Footy-Show-6114007.jpg

Did you actually read the article?? Or just going off a few phrases like usual??

Heading along tonight will be interesting to see how we handle the bright lights at night. If I recall correctly our last Saturday night game at the g we had a good, if a little uncertain, win over the doggies.

A lot depends on which Melbourne turns up. If its the team that beat Carlton, I can see us getting within 3 goals and giving them a huge scare. If it's the team that played last week against gc, where we pick and choose which contests to run hard and when to tackle, I think it could be 50 points.

Congratulations to ro bail, been a long time and you've had a lot of setbacks, best of luck in your 50th. Welcome back to jamar who's also had his setbacks over the past 3 years and good luck to Salem.

My tip, swans to kick away at the end but not after a huge scare

22 points

If he plays anything like he did last week, Buddy will slaughter us.

Chip can always go to Buddy

Frawley kills him every time, even with the ridiculous amount of supply the Hawks forwards always got against us

Would suck to lose Frawley out of the forward line, but Dunn can go there and give us similar output

Some Rankings and a look at the 2 teams age/experience etc. Please note that games experience/age/weight etc do not include changes for Rnd 6.

Average Attributes @ Rnd 5 2014

Demons Attribute Swans

187.4cm Height 186.0cm

87.3kg Weight 87.0kg

24yr 7mth Age 26yr 2mth

61.7 Games 101.9

Total Players By Games @ Rnd 5 2014

Demons Games Swans

12 Less than 50 6

5 50 to 99 4

3 100 to 149 6

2 150 or more 6

Note: Blue Headers indicate Demons ahead, red the Swans.

Contested

Demons 15 / 131 (Rank/Ave per game)

Swans 3 /148

Cats 5 / 147

*League ave 141

Uncontested

Demons 10 / 214

Swans 14 / 203

Cats 8 / 219

*League 221

Effective Disposals

Demons 11 / 252

Swans 14 / 243

Cats 8 / 262

*League 260

Effective Disposal %

Demons 8 / 71.9

Swans 15 / 67.9

Cats 7 / 72.0

*League 71.2

Tackles

Demons 14 / 63

Swans 1 / 78

Cats 3 / 74

*League 68

Clangers

Demons 8 / 46

Swans 17 / 50

Cats 13 / 48

*League 46

Contested Marks

Demons 15 / 7

Swans 8 / 9

Cats 2 / 11

*League 9

i50

Demons 18 / 43

Swans 8 / 51

Cats 1 / 57

*League 50

Marks i50

Demons 13 / 9

Swans 9 / 10

Cats 1 / 16

*League 11

Clearances

Demons 18 / 31

Swans 10/ 39

Cats 15 / 36

*League 39

1 %ers

Demons 9 / 52

Swans 4 / 55

Cats 12 / 50

*League 51

* League average figures exclude MFC

Data: courtesy of Footywire

Edited by Rusty Nails

Some Rankings and a look at the 2 teams age/experience etc. Please note that games experience/age/weight etc do not include changes for Rnd 6.

Average Attributes @ Rnd 5 2014

Demons Attribute Swans

24yr 7mth Age 26yr 2mth

61.7 Games 101.9

Total Players By Games @ Rnd 5 2014

Demons Games Swans

12 Less than 50 6

5 50 to 99 4

3 100 to 149 6

2 150 or more 6

We are still SO inexperienced!

When was the last time we had the oldest or most experienced list in the competition? And when will it happen again I wonder?

Edited by Chook