Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Roos sounding like Neeld (The Age)?

John Crow Batty

At the end of the day will it make a difference?

How much worse can they play after that spray? Surely you can't accept that performance on the weeked? I know we're starting a long way back but that performance on the weekend from a professiona club can not be tolerated as the performance the MFC serves up each week.

I have no issue with Roos getting stuck into the players. However, I just hope what he said was considered and he just wasn't running off at the mouth. It may have also been a better idea to let 24 hours pass and then to get stuck into them. He could have been able to collect his thoughts and have given a measured, thoughtful analysis of the performance. That doesn't mean it would be a good analysis. In fact, I am sure that he would be calmer but the issues he bought up would have benefited from more insight and reflection.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe the players need a 'cuddle' after performances like that. I was a little concerned that Roos broke a rule he had previously set in stone.

100% behind Roos. Most of this list cannot be coached because they are not AFL standard.

Roos knows this we know this!

Tripe article with zero cred.

100% behind this. If Roos can't get us competitive then we may as well fold because nobody else will bring in a group as qualified to coach a footy team. Edited by Lamashtu

To disregard the similarities is to be a delusional numpty.

Neeld I don't think was the best coach, but he went in with high expectations, had a team that seemed to gel well in the lockeroom, but ultimately lacks any real drive or urgency to win, or at the very least perform.

There was nothing really wrong with how Neeld approached the team publicly. He was honest, and that's what the fans wanted after a whole bunch of PR fluff. Ultimately it got to a point where all he could say was, "What do you want me to say? Do you want me to lie? It is what it is."

Roos sounded very Neeld-esque on Sunday, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Neeld and Roos are a universe apart in the way of forming relationships, building trust and actually knowing how to win. Neeld went in with no plan B. Roos I imagine has a plan B, but he'll refuse to use it until this team learns the basics. The absolute basics. Like taking a chestmark on the lead 5 meters ahead of your opponent.

Neeld imo was greatly underrated in how he was able to acknowledge and approach the team dynamics. He just couldn't get through to them. That makes him a bad coach, but he acknowledged it almost immediately and the bloke did what he could to change that.

I know it's only two rounds in, but Roos now really knows the task ahead of him.

He is now similarly placed as Neeld was two years. I don't believe for a second this team hasn't made progress, but their worst is absolutely deplorable.

Give Neeld some respect, because he tried to instil structure and discipline among the playing group. He lost them very early, even though the playing group was saying, "He's made a difference," if we all remember correctly.

Eerily, Roos has also "made a difference".

These players are truly at a crossroad. Every single one of them.

• Like 4

When it came out of Neelds mouth he sounded like an arrogant turd

When u hear Paul Roos speak it's totally different. He has runs on the board.

Not even in the same class and it's an insult that they compare the two.

If they're saying the same thing what does a matter what the person's history is?

Roos sees exactly what Neeld saw. Don't throw Neeld to the sword for his other fallacies. The bloke wasn't an idiot.

I have no issue with Roos getting stuck into the players. However, I just hope what he said was considered and he just wasn't running off at the mouth. It may have also been a better idea to let 24 hours pass and then to get stuck into them. He could have been able to collect his thoughts and have given a measured, thoughtful analysis of the performance. That doesn't mean it would be a good analysis. In fact, I am sure that he would be calmer but the issues he bought up would have benefited from more insight and reflection.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe the players need a 'cuddle' after performances like that. I was a little concerned that Roos broke a rule he had previously set in stone.

Yeh fair enough i hear what you're saying... and i agree the club will go no where if there isn't trust in the group

Time will tell i guess how the players will respond.... Heard Roos on AFL 360 tonight and I think he is a pretty level headed bloke

From my personal POV I was disgusted with Sunday and some performances I guess I wanted Roos to spray them haha

Roos is on AFL 360 tonight did anyone see what he said?

The short take I saw on Talking Footy showed Roosey on 360 saying his coaching performance was deplorable, that he had to take responsibility for a 97 point drubbing as well.

He may well have calmed down and be trying to re spin his message to the club and players

I know you will take up the challenge of arguing for the sake of arguing but here goes.

I don't doubt that something needed to be said to the players. However, I DO hope Roos didn't go in there all guns blazing, with his mouth running off before his brain.

It seems also a little strange and a little concerning that Roosy has broken the one rule he has set since he started coaching 'Don't blast players after the final siren.'

lol... You do realise your talking about Paul Roos yeah?

He isn't considered one of the best coaches in the AFL, because he yells and screams at players.... Im very confident that even if he did give them a bake, It would have been a structured powerful home truth that the players needed to hear... When someone yells at people all the time, it becomes normal and ineffective... When a guy who is normally calm and considered raises their voice in disapproval, the message is usually load and clear...

I think that a few home truths needed to be told but I'm a little more concerned that it was straight after the final siren.

It needed to be said eventually but I think timing was the issue. Roos has always been about clear thinking and I hope that he thought through everything he said.

Dropped chest marks, missed handballs from 2 and 3 metres. Anyone who thinks these are acceptable and shouldn't be put to the players straight after the game is dreaming. IN the presser he was very composed. Neeld shocked everyone because he was so uncomposed. He was almost breathless and crying.

Roos was a long way from that.

Can't keep saying the list is shyte or not afl level.they came from the same places as the other tattooed whankers playing at other clubs.

It's only footy- not fkn rocket science.

No guts ,no pride, no respect for themselves or others is the only issue.

The rest is balls.

• Like 3

Dermie's full of [censored].

Yep I wouldn't believe what comes out of his mouth. Remember he made that crap up about the storm players saying melbourne didnt train and were lazy. That was denied then he said on queens birthday last year the coaches wernt at rehab.

I am a little concerned hearing this. I thought Roos was big on not spraying players directly after the game as that, in his words, is the time relationships can be permanently broken.

I would only be concerned if we had a person at the helm without runs on the board. While i understand some players might be carrying scars from recent sagas they are also getting paid well to play at AFL level and some of them paid very handsomely.

As long as you don't hold a grudge with any one player afterwards and make it clear that the non-negotiables apply to everyone, and move on and be professional in your application thereafter. I believe Roos is more than capable of doing that and mending any nose joints as the weeks roll around. I also believe him and team are capable of sorting out the wheat from the chaff and filling the gaping holes over the next few draft periods.

But it will probably take more than a 2 year commitment for the players to understand and respect that Roos isn't just another MFC fly-by-nighter either and he really is here for a decent period before any handover. 2 years is probably not quite long enough to convince every player to get on board the Roos train IMO (see Frawley).

PJ needs to get at least one more year out of Roosy, and quickly.

• Like 1

I would only be concerned if we had a person at the helm without runs on the board. While i understand some players might be carrying scars from recent sagas they are also getting paid well to play at AFL level and some of them paid very handsomely.

As long as you don't hold a grudge with any one player afterwards and make it clear that the non-negotiables apply to everyone, and move on and be professional in your application thereafter. I believe Roos is more than capable of doing that and mending any nose joints as the weeks roll around. I also believe him and team are capable of sorting out the wheat from the chaff and filling the gaping holes over the next few draft periods.

But it will probably take more than a 2 year commitment for the players to understand and respect that Roos isn't just another MFC fly-by-nighter either and he really is here for a decent period before any handover. 2 years is probably not quite long enough to convince every player to get on board the Roos train IMO (see Frawley).

PJ needs to get at least one more year out of Roosy, and quickly.

I'd like to like this more than once :)

It's about time that the real problem is focussed upon, and with it the responsibility and blame go towards. The playing group. It doesn't matter if you have all the best coaches with an unlimited amount of $$ to spend on development, if the playing group as a whole have the wrong/lazy/ignorant attitude, nothing will improve, the cracks will just be painted over.

This football club needs to become extremely stringent, so much so that even before players' walk in through the door, they know they have to earn every dollar of their contract. These players are getting paid premium dollars, yet they are continually putting in sub-standard performances. Since when is putting in less than 100%, or their absolute best 100% of the time, less than adequate?

If they were in any other industry, they would have been shown the door long ago. I know it's wrong to single out one player, as many are guilty, but i'll use Frawley as an example. He is going to be demanding quite a contract come years end, but does he deserve it? No. He continually chooses when to put in a good game or bad game, or whether he will put in 100% or not.

That simply isn't good enough. This is the highest level in the world where a person can play aussie rules. Nothing less than there absolute best is acceptable! Do they not realise that it's a privilege to play at the highest level? How many people try to get on to an AFL list, and how many actually make it?

How can we change the team in round 2 with so many injuries let alone at the end of the season when no one wants to come play for us and no one of high standard would want to stay on our list.

• Like 1

The fact he was surprised at basic skills and composure is of great concern but if you have been at other clubs and not seen it, so it should be. Roos was at Fitzroy where they were routinely smashed but the skills and commitment were clearly better than us.

CLearly we train differently to the way we play. As Neeld used to say - "we train well but we just aren't bringing it to game day". Roos has now experienced the same thing albeit in week 2 not ni week 1.

The alarm bells will really be ringing after this week. And that is when he will really start to earn his money.

Good point JMac I have watched training occasionally over the past four or five years and at the same time looked at our match day performances. There is a mismatch. Going back to The bruise free footy jibe in 2010 or 2011 I have wondered do we need to train in match conditions at least for part of every session? One part of training is to practice basic running drills, kicking to targets etc but that is under zero pressure. Shouldn't another part of training involve playing a simulated game in a confined space where players have to make quick decisions under intense pressure? I have not seen it in our training unless we are playing an early intra club but that is on a full ground space. If we want to play as we train we surely need to recreate the pressure of game day in decision making, disposal and perhaps even the physical pressure as well. But given the physical fragility of our list, this would be a high risk strategy I admit.

• Like 1

Roos had every right to be angry. I was. First time I've left early since 2005 elimination against geelong. I wouldn't have cared if this was an isolated performance, but this is the norm for us. I left because I've had enough watching these VFL quality players (at best) getting paid big bucks to fluff the most basic of skills. I feel exactly the same as Roos. Seriously get your S*** together. You were drafted as football players. Start acting accordingly.

• Like 1

Can't keep saying the list is shyte or not afl level.they came from the same places as the other tattooed whankers playing at other clubs.

It's only footy- not fkn rocket science.

No guts ,no pride, no respect for themselves or others is the only issue.

The rest is balls.

Pretty much bang on mate. Always seems to be excuses being made for our PLAYERS. It's always someone else's fault. Seriously time to start playing like men not boys before it's too late for our club. Surely many of them are embarrassed when they watch back on the video of some of their 'contests'. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

Quality journalism

Journalism has a role to inform: objective reliance on the facts.

This is an opinion piece. The author takes the facts, forms an opinion with the intention of fuelling debate. He has succeeded.

In other words, his "journalism" is as defined.

Rather than knifing the cynics that blast the team, why don't we take the neutral supporter's opinion on board and constructively discuss it?

Otherwise, we are just one-eyed loonies that can't separate reality from fantasy.

ie. Greens voters *runs and hides*

The media and footy experts generally continually talk about our "culture" and poor coaching (Neeld and Bailey) as the reasons why we are such a terrible side. They're factors, but the biggest one is this; we've had too many players who are simply not up to it. When you fumble constantly, drop chest marks, struggle to hit targets 15 m away, and don't run to the right spots to get the football, it doesn't matter how hard you try. It wouldn't have mattered if Norm Smith was the coach yesterday, we are dreadful with ball in hand. Our recruiting has been absolutely deplorable. Yesterday they had Darlingwe took Cook at 12. They had Shuey. We took Strauss and Blease! Unbelievable.