Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC Merchandise and Branding

Chook in Perth

Those of you who use Twitter regularly may be familar with a guy who tweets as @jmac. Funny guy (horrible communist though). John runs a web development business and has professional knowledge of graphic and web design, fonts etc..Basically what looks good.

Long and the short of it - his professional view is the Melbourne Football Club is bloody terrible at merchandising and could do so much better. Here follows an (approved for posting by John) email he sent the club last night.

Would be good to get feedback from posters on this issue. I get the sense a groundswell may get some improvement here as the club tries to swim away from the turd waters of the Schwab era.

Hi all!

I've been giving you a fair bit of stick on Twitter recently about MFC merchandise (my handle is, ahem, @jmac). I mostly try and keep it light-hearted/civil, but every now and then I get a bit... ranty. And sweary. At the suggestion of the inimitable @demonblog, I decided to gather my thoughts and words from the gutter and try and give some more constructive criticism. If you're still reading at this point, thanks for indulging me.

You see—and I'm sure everyone who writes to you to complain says this—I love the Melbourne Football Club. I haven't been a member for as long as some, but I've followed the club since I was born. My Dad barracks for the Dees, and so do my two brothers and sister. My son Angus does now too, and with any luck so will his sister, Zara. Angus has been a member since he was born, and I'm hoping to sign 6 month-old Zara up this year too. My Dad is lucky enough to have seen the club win a Grand Final back in the day – in fact, had we not won the '64 GF, I might've been a Collingwood supporter like my grandfather and mother. Dodged a bullet there.

Anyway, the point of the email is this: in my opinion, Demons merchandise is terrible. Incredibly, shamefully, cringe-worthily bad. It's not just a bit average, or so-bad-it's-good, or even boring. I could deal with any of those; most merchandise is not great. But ours is quantifiably abysmal. I'm not sure who is to blame -- I certainly hope I'm not bad-mouthing some dedicated and dutiful volunteer. But if you are paying someone to concept and design this stuff, you need to stop and find someone else, fast.

Take this beanie. I understand the intent: you want to make a beanie that looks like the ones we used to wear back in the day. But instead of making a faithful replica, this design says "vintage" on it. VINTAGE. That's kind of like getting and elderly person and writing "OLD" on their forehead in permanent marker. Like the pompom and chunky knit didn't give that away already? And what is with that font? Completely inappropriate. None of it makes any sense, and so it is awful. Wouldn't wear it if you were giving them away, sorry. How would I make it better? Lose all text, emphasise the demon illustration on the patch, and done. Simple. Was bad, is now acceptable.

What about this watch. Apart from looking terrible on the website (the image is stretched almost beyond recognition) — really? *That* logo on a cheap-looking Citizen knockoff? Apart from not having any info on what it is you're selling on that page, this is just a terrible idea. Again, I understand the intent: you want to sell something at low cost with high markup. Solid plan, can't fault it. But this looks like something you'd find in a plastic egg in one of those $2 toy dispensers. And you don't do anything to make it seem anything better than that by stretching the image and giving no context.

I could name another dozen instances of extreme ugliness on the shop, but I'll leave it there.

At a higher level, there's this damned logo. Please, please drop it. Kill it with fire. Cut your losses. It's a kitchen sink, a designed-in-a-boardroom nightmare of a thing. It looks bad everywhere. The lettering is terrible. The entire idea behind it stinks. Whoever assembled it is a saint for attempting to thoughtfully cram 8,000 elements of face-palming obviousness into a single design, but that doesn't make it work. We are lucky to have a generally high standard of graphic design (and graphic designers) here in Melbourne -- you should engage with that community to come up with something better, something timeless, as our heritage demands. Christ, as *we* demand. Just use the MFC insignia for now and start looking for designers to come up with something that can help us supporters get behind the club while we rebuild, rather than be reminded of the horrors of the immediately pre-Roos era.

I wouldn't want a professional sporting team to look like some backwater amateur club. We should demand higher standards in how we present our team. Look to Manchester United or Arsenal, or any American sporting team (pro or amateur) for inspiration on this. There's a reason we 30-something-year-old dorks keep buying team merch from overseas -- it's good-looking stuff. It's aspirational, it's generally high quality, and it's well designed. I want to support the Demons in every way I can, and I'd actually buy and wear Melbourne stuff if it was anything close to acceptable. And how's this: Freo are doing a better job of their merch than we are. FREMANTLE. Their technicolour yawn of a brand is producing better gear than our steeped-in-history blue-blooded traditionalist team. What a travesty.

The club is clearly rejuvenated with the arrival of dual patron saints Peter Jackson and Paul Roosy Roos. We're all very excited about this, after aeons of profound heartbreak. But despite potential improvements in the football department, you shouldn't allow the rot to sit in any areas of business. There's no accounting for taste, sure, and I'm certain you've sold enough of this garbage that whoever is designing it can at least justify their employment (I hope). But don't you want MFC to be better than that? No one wants to barrack for Melbourne when supporters look like shopping centre bargain-bin dregs. We need people to be envious of us, to want what we have, in order to draw more people to us.

Actually, here's something positive (how refreshing, John) -- the new training tops with the large MFC insignia are fantastic. A real step in the right direction. I'll even forgive the AHG logo overlapping the insignia.

I obviously feel really strongly about this, and if you'd ever like to chat about it (haha!) feel free to get in touch. I'm a graphic/web designer and have been working with all sorts of Melbourne-based institutions for a long time, which is part of why I feel this passionate. I want to be proud of and excited by the Demons again; I want to not expect disappointment and mediocrity by default. And I want to wear a good hat/tshirt/scarf/anything to games. Please!

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

John McLennan

• Like 1

There's plenty of posters on 'Land who have knowledge of graphic design, I'm a freelance designer myself, who have bagged out the logo for the exact same reasons and posted here A LOT about it. However, if "jmac" was to research further he'd find that the MFC merchandise is almost exactly the same as every other club as it's all licensed, designed, and made by the same company for every team in the AFL. So while I agree about the logo, it's silly to single out MFC for their merchandise when the entire league has the same stuff. The club itself KNOWS how ugly some of the gear is, but not only do they have no control over most of it, but the uglier stuff sells more! Some if it is truly horrible tho.

Case in point, these horrible "superman" tshirts....

aflsuperman-1.jpg

• Like 1

I agree about merchandise majority is just awefull some is just ok. The logo however I like well the shield part anyway but can't stand the writing underneath that looks cheap tasteless and very tacky

Edited by Daz's Dee's

Got to love the '58 vintage stuff.

'58 the year we lost a Grand final!

To bloody Collingwood, no less! (yes I'm aware of the 1858 - but no one makes that link first off)

I agree with Stuie though, I'm not sure how much say the club have over it.

Overall, the post is spot on - it's sub-par and put to shame with any venture to an overseas sporting team, though the playing field is not exactly level!

There's plenty of posters on 'Land who have knowledge of graphic design, I'm a freelance designer myself, who have bagged out the logo for the exact same reasons and posted here A LOT about it. However, if "jmac" was to research further he'd find that the MFC merchandise is almost exactly the same as every other club as it's all licensed, designed, and made by the same company for every team in the AFL. So while I agree about the logo, it's silly to single out MFC for their merchandise when the entire league has the same stuff. The club itself KNOWS how ugly some of the gear is, but not only do they have no control over most of it, but the uglier stuff sells more! Some if it is truly horrible tho.

Case in point, these horrible "superman" tshirts....

aflsuperman-1.jpg

Ugh the Superman shirts. Terrible.

Thanks for posting this up Chook.

Stuie: I got a response from MFC first thing this morning -- very impressed with how quickly they replied. They mentioned the tricky position they're in with AFL-mandated suppliers, which I totally understand. Quality in terms of how merch is made, and what it is made of, and to some degree what it looks like is totally out of the Club's hands, in that respect. Can't blame the club for things mandated by the AFL.

And yeah, ugly stuff sells, there's no doubt. It doesn't sell because it's ugly though, it sells because it exists. The examples I pointed out are easily fixed into things that anyone would wear, not just people who don't/can't discern between 1858 and 1958 or that their vintage knockoff says VINTAGE on it (seriously, wtf). I'd wear that beanie if it didn't scream "I am a massive idiot".

My point is that it's up to the club to take a lead. Freo have, and it's working for them. Their stuff is consistent (albeit purple) and bold. That's all I want from our merch, to be strong and purposeful and consistent. And true to our heritage, because that's all we have to trade on right now.

And of course I also want the logo to die a firey death. It is abhorrent, and is representative of one of the worst periods in the club's history. It's a basket-case, and the club should recognise that. They wrote back with some pretty interesting stuff about the logo survey, might post it later.

• Like 1

thought we had a whiz-bang art director / advertising exec type on the board

Russel Howcroft? Yeah, would be interesting to hear his thoughts on all this. Haven't heard him speak enough about it really.

Ugh the Superman shirts. Terrible.

Thanks for posting this up Chook.

Stuie: I got a response from MFC first thing this morning -- very impressed with how quickly they replied. They mentioned the tricky position they're in with AFL-mandated suppliers, which I totally understand. Quality in terms of how merch is made, and what it is made of, and to some degree what it looks like is totally out of the Club's hands, in that respect. Can't blame the club for things mandated by the AFL.

And yeah, ugly stuff sells, there's no doubt. It doesn't sell because it's ugly though, it sells because it exists. The examples I pointed out are easily fixed into things that anyone would wear, not just people who don't/can't discern between 1858 and 1958 or that their vintage knockoff says VINTAGE on it (seriously, wtf). I'd wear that beanie if it didn't scream "I am a massive [censored]".

My point is that it's up to the club to take a lead. Freo have, and it's working for them. Their stuff is consistent (albeit purple) and bold. That's all I want from our merch, to be strong and purposeful and consistent. And true to our heritage, because that's all we have to trade on right now.

And of course I also want the logo to die a firey death. It is abhorrent, and is representative of one of the worst periods in the club's history. It's a basket-case, and the club should recognise that. They wrote back with some pretty interesting stuff about the logo survey, might post it later.

Please do, I am interested if you don't want it public PM it to me.

A lot of merchandising comes through the AFL so Melbourne won't necessarily have much control over it as it is the same for all teams.

True, but if we don't put pressure on MFC, how are they going to put pressure on the suppliers? Their only incentive to do so is if a) everyone stops buying (won't happen, enough people will buy anything to justify the crap) or b) enough people have a right whinge about it. I think the latter is more likely to end in a positive outcome.

• Like 1

I can see a place for the current emblem (which i don't mind as an emblem) and a place for a more marketing oriented logo (promoting the "Demons")

leave the current emblem for more official stuff and have a very simple demon logo for merchandising and marketing

can't see why you can't have both

A competition (with prize) for a (new) demon logo might be a good idea

P.S. wouldn't mind if the current emblem was slightly simplified too

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 1

Everything the club sells has to be through an AFL license holder. These aren't cheap and you will find all the clubs have the same stuff. The design side our club sucks, I still believe we should be pushing our colours more to the red rather than Blue.

All club apparel should be red. Look at the sporting brands with Red as their main colour. Get away from the Navy. I remember a few years back we played Hawthorn at the MCG, what stood out to me was the yellow in the crowd

To bloody Collingwood, no less! (yes I'm aware of the 1858 - but no one makes that link first off)

I agree with Stuie though, I'm not sure how much say the club have over it.

Overall, the post is spot on - it's sub-par and put to shame with any venture to an overseas sporting team, though the playing field is not exactly level!

Given that it's slightly stretching history to claim we were formed in 1858 - (e.g the players who would later form the Melbourne Football Club played together as 'Melbourne' a couple of times the MFC itself didn't exist until 1859) maybe we should chuck '58 and put '59 on things instead? Or just drop the 1800's altogether...

For what it's worth I couldn't decide between a Demon logo and the monogram when that email came around. I've got no love for the current logo, but I'm not as violently opposed to it as some.

Edited by Supermercado
  • Like 2

lots to agree with on the thread all sides of the story so yeah the survey results may be helpful but also needs the context of the survey. (Never hold an inquiry/run a survey unless you know the result is going to be what you want)

Howcroft has some genuine understanding of these things so interested in his perspective.

Spurs link was good but does operate in a different volume market which may impact on what is possible.

AFL control is to some extent to benefit from volume issues.

Orica green edge have link with clothing co (Croft I think ) and so there are obvious synergies with discrete manufacturers who may want to target a specific demographic.

These are just some of the product identification required in marketing strategies

The graphic design element also needs to consider how it reproduces Ie it may look good on a website in multi colours but the palette may not survive reproduction on a watch face or cup. I have many Demon items acquired over the years and most have been pretty ordinary. I have seen other AFL clubs with the same ordinary products so we are not alone and maybe there is a tiered market that can be reached by the club.

Good luck with your communications.

I did alert them to the Emu brand as potential sponsors(Ugg Boots and Clothing)who were launching on the international stage and even had a red and blue racing car team but never got a reply. There could have been product specifically supplied and an entree into other clubs as well.Would have been happy with "we approached them and they said that while the colours were sympathetic we did not want to be identified with a single Melbourne AFL club" but no response so would imagine that your ideas would fall into the, "Thanks but we are concentrating on other issues first" basket

I agree with everything else written on this topic. Geez even the SANFL side Sturt have a bigger range of merchandise than us. I think New Balance need a bigger input into this. Why don't they have a link to their own website? New Balance are mainly known as an athletic footwear brand anyway, not so much their clothing which is ironic as they don't manufacture football boots.

Honestly, I agree. The logo that Schwab came up with looks crap on merchandise and on television. It is overly complicated. I hate it on the jumper too. Looks like garbage. An unnecessary stain. Here is a better logo that we already use for the business community that would be better than what we currently use

Unknown_zps479887ca.jpeg

Edited by Leoncelli_36
  • Like 1

Honestly, I agree. The logo that Schwab came up with looks crap on merchandise and on television. It is overly complicated. I hate it on the jumper too. Looks like garbage. An unnecessary stain. Here is a better logo that we already use for the business community that would be better than what we currently use

Unknown_zps479887ca.jpeg

The Melbourne "Leaves"? Or is it an olive branch as we just want to be friends rather than get beaten all the time? Not exactly sure how that says "Demons" or even football... It's a nice corporate logo but I'd prefer the current logo, and that's saying something...

The Melbourne "Leaves"? Or is it an olive branch as we just want to be friends rather than get beaten all the time? Not exactly sure how that says "Demons" or even football... It's a nice corporate logo but I'd prefer the current logo, and that's saying something...

where is the demon link in the current logo Stuie? The stupid Trident?