Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes next week - what to do?

Gorgoroth

You have to replace the roles that are there. I don't rate Byrnes but he kicked two and got his hands on it 14 times and we need an opportunist forward. Michie had limited ball in a midfield role until late in the game. Turned it over more often than not and from what I could see was the least accountable of our midfield group. He was clearly in our bottom 5 last night in my view.

i didn't actually see him turn it over too much, saw him out contested 2 to 1, and he won the ball back, i really like the way he goes about it. i think he deserves a little more persistence at this stage.

• Like 1

plus, too many changes to the mids and we might find our selves with more problems.

I dont think hes a star, and after years of debate we saw on the weekend Watts is comfortably better

But he will smash Spencer, if he doesnt ill be shocked, And we might just win.

Cox will smash Spencer, NicNat will do 1 high flying amazing hitout to advantage, 1 almost mark of the year, and 1 point of the year, but that's about it.

I think a lot depends on whether Fitz is fit. I suspect he won't be given the all clear given the way concussion is treated these days. That being the case Gawn comes in as a straight swap. If Fitz is by some miracle considered fit, we bring Gawn in for Pedersen.

I think JKH had his taste and didn't do too much. Time for him to go back to the seconds and "earn his spot" some more. While he killed in the pre-season, he just didn't look ready last night. We have a few options to bring in to replace him. I'm leaning towards Blease as the most useful of them.

If we look at the opposition, we need someone to sit on LeCras and a couple of tall stoppers on Kennedy and Darling. Frawley obviously takes one of the talls. The club tells us that Tommy should be right next week, so he covers the other. This leaves us with Dunn and Grimes to play on LeCras, so no real changes needed there.

There was an article today talking about Watts playing forward. If that happens it probably means no Pedersen even if Fitz doesn't play and gives us room for another mid. I'd love to see Viney, but I suspect it's too soon and they'll want him to play another at Casey. I really don't see who is going to come in to fill that spot.

So, looking at the above:

Out - Pedersen, Fitzpatrick, JKH.

In - Gawn, Blease, ?

This would seem a fairly likely scenario to me.

I'm wondering if we won't be able to muster up enough talls to counter theirs (and we almost certainly won't), we might just try and run them off their feet, especially up forward.

Which won't be easy to do, they're not a slow side. But what choice do we have?

That means including some of (in descending order of probability): Blease (definitely), Clisby (if fit), Nicho (getting lower down the barrel, but he has unique running ability, both pace and endurance), and even maybe Hunt (just for his pace). And keep Bail, who can run all day. Maybe play Watts CHF but play it like a mid.

But we'll need to include Viney if he's fit, and Gawn, and perhaps Jetta by the sound of things. That only leaves room for Blease, and perhaps Clisby.

We'll have to shed 2 or 3 slower smalls, so that's Byrnes, but who else? Toump? (who I thought was good - I love him with the ball just outside 50, he always spots someone up) Michie? Trengove??

And I'm betting we'll need Pedo just to make up the numbers as a tall defender.

OUT: Fitzpatrick (inj.), McDonald (inj.?), Toumpas

IN: Gawn, Clisby, Viney (if fit)

If Viney isn't available, then Kent. Seems to be a forgotten player ATM. Gawn needs to come in to help Spencer against Cox and Nautanui, and provide a tall target up forward (not much of a forward yet, but hopefully he can at least make a contest).

Toumpas many will disagree with but he gets pushed off the ball far too easily. A nice kick but a liability at the moment. I think he needs to bulk up and gain confidence in the VFL.

As some have said unfortunately we can't drop Pedersen due to lack of other options. How he missed that open goal is beyond me, summed up his game. We desperately need one of our quality KPFs back, it's going to be a constant struggle to win games with this spud as our forward target.

It's going to be ugly next Saturday unless the players start to believe.

Remember Round 2 2010

We were $17 outsiders as i remember. One of the last great games i have seen.

Has nothing to do with belief. It has to do with the fact that the top 25% of our list are running laps not kicking footballs.

Toumpas many will disagree with but he gets pushed off the ball far too easily. A nice kick but a liability at the moment. I think he needs to bulk up and gain confidence in the VFL.

I agree, if indeed we even have a strength and conditioning coach, then it's time he earned his pay.

Toumpas is going to be very good - but not until he has a strong core and a better tank.

The club tells us that Tommy should be right next week, so he covers the other. This leaves us with Dunn and Grimes to play on LeCras, so no real changes needed there.

Sorry, but if the club's telling us that, then I don't expect to see him back until Round 5 or 6.

Spoke to Jamar before the match said he was right to go in two weeks

As far as I have observed he hasn't even started running at training yet.

WE're gonna need someone to neutralise Bennell's run off half-back, he had 16 touches (5/11) yesdy.

I swear to God if he hits targets on Sunday I'll be flipping tables.

• Like 1

I thought Bennell could have been a good footballer, he may just prove that.

Old Dee will love watching him get 20 possies against us this weekend...

Safe as a church Gororoth

I will be in Sydney so I can be blissfully ignorant.

He will probably have an ok day he is playing against a bottom side.

Wait till he plays a decent side like Freo or Hawthorn or Geelong.

• Like 1

The primary reason we lost the game was a resource issue almost entirely due to injuries. Not only were we missing our big forwards before the game but Fitzpatrick, McDonald and Howe were all injured - McDonald and Howe early. I am confident we would have won that game without those injuries. Of the remaining players, JKH didn't do much, Pederson was poor and Cross and Michie didn't live up to expectations. However, a knee-jerk reaction of wholesale changes won't help.

I suspect Howe will be OK next week but Fitzpatrick and McDonald must be considered doubtful. If Fitz and McD don't play, Pederson is going to have to get another game, although he doesn't deserve it unless by some miracle two of Hogan, Dawes, Jamar or Garland play. If fit, Viney should play as should Gawn.

So, depending on injury,

Out: McDonald, Fitzpatrick, JKH

In: Gawn, Viney and McKenzie (if fit and if one of the miracles listed above doesn't happen).

It's not like for like - but there are no other fit big men to come in.

Changes for next week are entirely depend on who is out injured.

Whatever happens the following needs to happen IMO.

Gawn in as we will need help for Spencer and someone with height on the forward line.

Byrnes stays in ( god how I hate saying that ) there is no one with a higher ability and he did somehow manager to kick two goals.

Pedersen will stay in there is no one else (again I cannot believe we are so badly off we have to have him in the side).

If there are multiple injuries then the rest are a raffle as they should only play under these injury conditions.

PS I am assuming the likes of Viney are still out through injury and little game time.

I don't think garland has trained much in the past 6 weeks. I'd be surprised to see him this week

we need transition players who'll deliver.

imo, our weaknesses were small forwards & a lack of a tall focal points. Bail wasn't the answer up front. We need Viney/Evans to play forward. maybe push Bail up the field somewhere.

our lack of forwardline balance & potency, sapped the rest of the team of their belief.

Next week we need a team full of hard edged competitors.

Stating the obvious really no tall no small and the mid sized forwards were not good. So incompetent forward structure. Next week Gawn in, Blease in Viney in. Out Pedo, Byrne, and give JKH a rest.

Back: Terlich, Chip, Georgie

Half back: Grimes, McDonald, Dunn

(We get Dunn and Georgie to shut down LeCras, Grimes to provide support on the wing, Terlich to stay back down and take whoever is running around out, Chip just try and keep Kennedy out of it was poor on Riewoldt hopefully he goes better because we know he can do it, and McDonald to annoy Darling all day)

Mid: Vince, Trengove, Watts

(Watts is pure class, anything he would touch would turn into gold, he'll be able to out class West Coast mids i think, more classy than any of them, Trenners I liked on the weekend, he was strong, throw him on Scott Selwood to try and out muscle him, Vince give him the ball and he'll show you how good he is, he was a little nervous on goals get Roosy to get him on goal kicking drills a bit and we'll be right)

Half forward: Matt Jones, Jesse Hogan, Daniel Cross

Forward: Fitzpatick, Gawn, Howe

(Matt Jones to me was terrific, he knew when to run and boy he ran, he got absolutely rorted out of some of his tackles, get him to tag Hurn I think, Hogan if he is ready, Cross wasn't as bad as everyone made out, he tackled well, Fitzpatrick LET. THE. MAN. RUN thats what he did last year and he got enough goals, HOWEEEE throw him on a forward pocket and give him permission to fly and the goals will flow)

Followers: Spencer, N. Jones, Viney

(Spencer yeah he's a bit clumsy and frustrating but he does his job right, N. Jones stars with Tyson, Vince and Watts)

I/C: Tyson, JKH, Michie

Sub: Blease

(Blease perfect bloke to bring on at half time, let JKH start for Christ sake, Michie should get better, Tyson is a star)

So

Back: Terlich, Chip, Georgie

Half back: Grimes, McDonald, Dunn

Mid: Vince, Trengove, Watts

Half forward: Matt Jones, Jesse Hogan, Daniel Cross

Forward: Fitzpatick, Gawn, Howe

Followers: Spencer, N. Jones, Viney

I/C: Tyson, JKH, Michie

Sub: Blease

Edited by thedeeman