Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jesse Hogan - back injury

DeeSpencer

Yeah, although you can look at it that he was saying they were aiming for all three to be back by then, but the media message is slightly shifting each time we hear anything.

He meant the above. The journalist tried a segue and it wasn't explicit though.

Talking Footy just had a brief interview with Jesse and he was just as vague about his return as he was the other night on the Footy Show.

He said 2-3 weeks at best but he doesn't really know and he's not sure when.

Even he doesn't look like he believes the 2-3 weeks line.

:(

Talking Footy just had a brief interview with Jesse and he was just as vague about his return as he was the other night on the Footy Show.

The message here is forget him till May they simply don't know.

He is classic 426

I saw that. Didn't sound great. As you say said maybe 2-3 but when pressed again said 3-4

If we were a better club we wouldn't care.

I was about to give you a like, because I largely agree.

I suppose it's disappointing for many of us who have been looking forward to seeing Viney (concussion) in his second year and Hogan take the field. Not to mention getting all of Clark, Hogan and Dawes together.

You're right in that it's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, it's just that I seem to have far less to look forward to for round 1 than I was hoping.

• Like 3

I suppose it's disappointing for many of us who have been looking forward to seeing Viney (concussion) in his second year and Hogan take the field. Not to mention getting all of Clark, Hogan and Dawes together.

You're right in that it's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, it's just that I seem to have far less to look forward to for round 1 than I was hoping.

Can't say I feel the same way... yes, it's slightly disappointing, but I am now looking forward to seeing just how Roos adjusts his plan to compensate for this lack of forward line presence. Viney's absence I feel will be easily covered and we saw glimpses of how we can still kick (and defend) a winning score in the Richmond game, a feat that was almost replicated in the Geelong game.

• Like 1

I agree. Anyone who pretends that not having Hogan, Dawes, Clark and Viney available for round 1 doesn't worry them is kidding themselves or doesn't really follow us closely.

• Like 1

Can't say I feel the same way... yes, it's slightly disappointing, but I am now looking forward to seeing just how Roos adjusts his plan to compensate for this lack of forward line presence. Viney's absence I feel will be easily covered and we saw glimpses of how we can still kick (and defend) a winning score in the Richmond game, a feat that was almost replicated in the Geelong game.

Game plan adjustment will be trying to hold possession of the ball for long periods by kicking sideways or backwards off half back because there are no forward targets. Didn't go too well against the Dawks should do better against an injury ravaged Saints. Saints game will be interesting as they have no backline against our no forward line and our good backline will be against their ok forward line. So set up quite nicely. On the face of it our midfield looks better, so we should be ok.

• Like 1

Game plan adjustment will be trying to hold possession of the ball for long periods by kicking sideways or backwards off half back because there are no forward targets. Didn't go too well against the Dawks should do better against an injury ravaged Saints. Saints game will be interesting as they have no backline against our no forward line and our good backline will be against their ok forward line. So set up quite nicely. On the face of it our midfield looks better, so we should be ok.

Yes, I think that even with a forward line we would still have struggled against Hawthorn... in fact, most teams barring Freo will struggle against Hawthorn. I believe we have the backline and midfield to give us the power to go forward, enabling us to amass a winning score based on weight of numbers (of forward 50 entries) coupled with the law of averages :-)

Let's face it, we suffered last year by never having Clark and Dawes play a single game together and we will be worse off than we otherwise would without that duo and Hogan. Notwithstanding, we have a much better midfield and if their work ends up getting the ball inside our 50 more than last year we should improve significantly. Then, hopefully, when they return (whenever that is) we will improve even more.

• Like 1

The real problem is that we as a club really can't afford injuries to the guys who are injured.

Our list has improved but not to the point that Clark,Dawes,Hogan,Jamar/Gawn,Viney and Garland all missing at once will not be felt, and felt a lot.

I still look forward to round 1, as I do every year, however I have to keep reminding myself that this team is currently a work in progress and the further into the season the better we should get.

Just as a side issue has anyone else noticed how much air time St.Kilda's injuries have been receiving today, yes they have some missing but so do we, yet it is being made out like our absolute best 22 is playing the Saints 3rd. 18. Sure they have injuries but so do we and ours are equally as important.

I agree. Anyone who pretends that not having Hogan, Dawes, Clark and Viney available for round 1 doesn't worry them is kidding themselves or doesn't really follow us closely.

I wonder if Clarko would be worried if he was facing a decent team round 1 without Roughy, Hale and Gunston and Gibson down back? It is a similar situation. I think he would reckon he could compensate for a few weeks given their other talent but it would take a toll over 5 or 6 weeks surely.

• Like 1

Agreed. To Hawthorn, these losses would have been bothersome. To us it's devastating.

What a bunch of sad-sacks we are. Of course almost anything is possible. Some always rush to assume the worst because we are the MFC. Is this a defensive mechanism, an almost superstitious feeling that the more we wring our hands about negative outcomes that that will somehow avert the disaster (or give us an excuse to hit the whiskey bottle)?

No just a wise head calling it as he's seen it over many decades. I don't think anything we say on here has any impact on MFC disasters

As long as we don't have passages of play where we are kicking/running/passing as if we're kicking toward's the opponents goals like we did against the Cats on at least 3 to 4 occasions (didn't see the Dawks match thank goodness) then yes we might sneak over the line.

However, i have no optimisim at all about Sunday's game. I'm sitting completely on the fence on a "wait and see" policy. I've seen Reiwoldt tear us a new one pretty much every time we've played them with him in the team. And he has about 200 plus games more experience than any of our "part time" rooky forwards... probably combined lol.

Given our usual injury fiasco and our amazing record at Shityhad... i am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

I was shot down on the Clark thread after the footy show interview when i stated...

"And i hate to be a pessimist but after watching Hulk on the footy show with Gazza the other night, i wouldn't be holding my breath on his return this year either. He looked shattered IMO. Hopefully it was just over the thought of missing a few games and the start of the season and nothing more serious. Body language not good though."

I still stand by that view. Yes like everyone, i'm hoping for a very early return, but i'm now prepared for the fact that we might not see him until some time in the 2nd half of the season (assuming the injury isn't career threatening).

I await further arrows and barbs lol

I was shot down on the Clark thread after the footy show interview when i stated...

"And i hate to be a pessimist but after watching Hulk on the footy show with Gazza the other night, i wouldn't be holding my breath on his return this year either. He looked shattered IMO. Hopefully it was just over the thought of missing a few games and the start of the season and nothing more serious. Body language not good though."

I still stand by that view. Yes like everyone, i'm hoping for a very early return, but i'm now prepared for the fact that we might not see him until some time in the 2nd half of the season (assuming the injury isn't career threatening).

I await further arrows and barbs lol

No barbs or arrows, however The update on the website says he's back running and will be back doing contested work this week or next. Positive news

• Like 3

Maybe we were a bit quick to get rid of Sellar [given events since]. I expect that there were some who had reasonable expectations that we might have been awarded a Priority Pick for only winning two games and we could of used that on Jesse Hogan and we would have been sweet in the forward line.

I wonder if Clarko would be worried if he was facing a decent team round 1 without Roughy, Hale and Gunston and Gibson down back? It is a similar situation. I think he would reckon he could compensate for a few weeks given their other talent but it would take a toll over 5 or 6 weeks surely.

Agreed. To Hawthorn, these losses would have been bothersome. To us it's devastating.

Hawthorn would be screwed with those losses.

• Like 1

Maybe we were a bit quick to get rid of Sellar [given events since]. I expect that there were some who had reasonable expectations that we might have been awarded a Priority Pick for only winning two games and we could of used that on Jesse Hogan and we would have been sweet in the forward line.

We weren't quick to get rid of Sellar. Inadequate backup is worse than having no backup, because is takes up a spot on the list.
  • Like 2

If Dawes can be back by round 2 the loss of hogan first half of the year won't be such a big deal. If Dawes isn't playing VFL this weekend i'll be shattered. Seriously, one half of footy in an intra club all pre season. The guy is made out of paper mache.

• Like 2