Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Wednesday 12th February, 2014

Whispering_Jack

I went, my report isn't as vast but what I can say is that there will be seven new faces in the side on Friday night.

Okie-dokie guys, I went absolutely insane this morning. If anyone wants to know I got up at 8:20. Normally get up much earlier to go but alas I slept in a little. Next bus from Mernda was 10 minutes away and I'm eight minutes away from the stop if I get a favourable run so I just RAN like we were a goal down in a Grand Final with a minute left just to catch this bus. With an iPad in my bag. Caught the bus, now there was a matter of catching the 8:53 train to Flinders from South Morang. Small matter of traffic delayed me until 8:51 so MORE frantic running and I got there with ONE minute to spare. I think I will be 20 minutes late max. And that is the story of how I got to this morning's training session. If only the 2013 Dees showed as much heart.
Righty, so although I was 20 minutes late I can tell what we're doing. Stretches and runthroughs as always.
Spotted Riley walking back towards AAMI Park as I walked in. Unsure why. If it was last year I would have spotted Neeld walking back 15 minutes into the session. Hogan is doing rehab, as is Clark. Two blokes dressed in white in the middle. I have nought idea who they are. Umpires?
Cross and Hunt are back this morning after bring ill.
Short kicks are the agenda as I get here, practically the first 20 minutes writes itself.
Bit of upper strength drills now.
Boys split into three groups. One doing some groundwork, one small group of Pedo, Dawes and Fitzy doing some leading drills and another group doing some stoppage drills.
Solid crowd building up at Gosch's. Better than Mondays that's for sure. 40 odd people here.
Maia Westrupp on the sideline doing some handball work.
Jamar is walking laps too. Clark slow running laps around the oval.
Two groups called in, probably quarter time for the session.
Short handballs now. Voice is up.
Change up the drill a bit and the boys handball into traffic, this is where a few balls hit the deck and it's something we must rectify if we want to improve as a team.
Short kicks now. The ruckmen are as generally accepted very awkward, Salem's using the ball beautifully.
Hogan practising set shots at goal. Not convinced by the stutter mid run up but he's nailing his shots.
Longer kicks now. Toumpas and Tyson looking classy as ever.
Groups split into two for a bit of stoppage work. Viney goes for a run and is tackled and floored by Kent. Competitive instinct in the bloke coming out. It's good to know that we'te moving a bit faster but one thing that disappoints me is that we're not really following up our disposal with shepherds.
Familiar switch/down the line/goal drill. The new recruits - Tyson, Michie, Vince - using it beautifully. Salem's first kick is a nasty shank. Toumpas is using it very well yet again, as is Kent. The 2012 kids are looking good. Intensity is decent.
Change up of this drill now. Defenders added but it's still the same basic drill.
Viv Michie's been quietly chugging along and he's using it very well.
Jay Kennedy-Harris starts with a kick and then runs the length of the ground to get two more touches and kicks a goal! Outstanding.
God help me. Damian Barrett is here. Probably here to give us a spray about the appointment and drafting of everyone ever.
Newish drill, some defenders in bibs and a group designed to get the ball down the other end. Dawesy hits a free running JKH on his own 50m away and JKH runs in and kicks the easiest goal ever.
What I like seeing is Sam Blease being used off half back in this drill and being a playmaker. Now that's what I want to see.
Boys called in once again. Time is flying, didn't realise it was 11:00 already as I type.
Looks like the squad is doing some extra training - a few have pulled off.
Training finished after a short while.

• Like 22

I was at the session today. Very stock standard session, free flowing skills to prepare for Friday night. Same drills as per past few weeks. Clark still doing very little, jogging around the boundary. Hogan trained away from group, but is fine. Mahoney told me he will be in full training and play intra club next Thurs.

One thing I will say, Chris Dawes is in no way injured. Did every drill, moving very well. Could of played Friday if the game actually mattered.

Happy to answer questions... :)

• Like 8

Went down from 10 to 11.30. Much more noise from the players than last Monday. I'll leave it to others to fill in the details so just a couple of comments:

- Jamar left early after doing a few laps

- Hogan trained by himself ( with trainers) for first hour then joined group. Still has knee lightly taped

- Pedo def training as a forward

- Gawn & Dawes trained with the whole group in the full ground exercise

- Watts & Trengove both trained with the main group but, I think, both left early

- Dawes & JKH were the targets during the full ground stuff

- fair few skill errors but seem to be training to, if anything, kick the ball short of the target rather than long and then also training the players to pick it up at the first attempt. Last season saw balls being kicked too high and putting target player under the pump. This might be a better option.

- N.Jones & Howe had a shoot out from hard on the LH the boundary to finish off. Both missed the first 6 shots until finally Howe nailed one. Jones finished off with another miss.

- Toumpas, Cross & Pedo still practising goalkicking when I left

• Like 5

Went along from 10ish onwards. Will comment in dot points and in no particular order.

• Clark did some handball drills with Westrupp on the sidelines before running laps of the oval. Looking good but very like he wishes he was with the main group.
  • Dunn vocally pushing, directing and encouraging others. A lot of voice. Also pushed very hard with his running, especially in the full ground drills.
  • Vince must have one of the nicest, most natural looking long kicks.. bombed a couple goals from 50-60m between drills. Good work rate.
  • Have been impressed with Salem to date in the couple times I've been to training, but seemed fumbly today. Dropped a sitter and shanked a couple kicks.
  • Dawes looking good and hungry to play. Got frustrated at one point during full ground drill with some poor decisions/disposal up the ground and then his leading and shouts ignored. Dropped he f-bomb in front of a young school group! Woops....
  • Tyson also a bit fumbly but his poise and class in traffic still evident.
  • Can't fault Cross.. what a great bloke.
  • Must say Howe's looking top notch. Was marking everything and picking up every ground ball without a hitch. Actually I lie, he dropped one mark but played on around defender, snapped and goaled.
  • Nicholson dropped a couple and sprayed a couple but also did some very nice ground level work picking up balls.
  • JKH lively and running hard to give options, which paid off with him kicking some nice goals in full ground drill.
  • Hunt used his speed to good effect in one of the 5 vs 5 ball movement/handball drills to get the ball to the other end.
  • Viney was looking good. Kicked well, saw only 1 dropped mark. Got nailed by Kent in the same ball movement/handball drill trying to break a tackle. Pinged.
  • Kent looks to be over his patella soreness, looking good and in everything.
  • Hogan practiced some goal kicking and got most. Also ran laps and trained on other ground for awhile. Still rehab but moving well.
  • Jamar ran slow laps had some physio work to his legs before leaving early.
  • Toumpas good by hand and foot in all the drills. Practiced some goal kicking from tight angles after most had left with Miller and Roos and young Roos. Roos showed him up and kicked a nice one! Then young Roos kicked off against his dad and nailed it. Nice kick on the young fella! All had a good laugh, quite funny.
  • Jones worked hard and was used often as an option through the middle and in forward 50 after hard running. Encouraging the group after breaks.
  • Grimes was in everything and also looked good.
  • During the last drill Viney, JKH, Salem, Harmes, Jetta, Hunt and I think Tapscott did some laps with timed sprints around the ground.
  • Before leaving Howe and Jones had a kick off from 50m on the boundary for who would shout lunch. Took about 6 kicks.. Jones hit both the left and right post before Howe won it straight through the middle. Had a good laugh and Howe shouted that he'd like his roll in about 40 minutes.
  • Strauss looks quite built and was nailing kicks, have been quite impressed so far.
  • King and Spencer stayed behind for additional ruck training with ruck coach and what looked like 2 umpires in white. Appeared to be some discussion about what would and wouldn't be penalised in the ruck.
  • Didn't watch others as much but Trengove, Clisby, Terlich, Bail, Watts, M Jones, Pederson, McDonald, Frawley, Jetta, Barry, King, Spencer, Michie, Byrnes, McKenzie, Blease, Evans, Gawn, Georgiou, Tapscott and Fitzpatrick all basically in full training.
  • Didn't see Garland or Riley.
  • Like 14

God help me. Damian Barrett is here. Probably here to give us a spray about the appointment and drafting of everyone ever.

I hope you pointed out Dom Tyson to him, apparently he has never seen him play. Didn't stop him from having a dumb opinion about the trade though.

• Like 2

I hope you pointed out Dom Tyson to him, apparently he has never seen him play. Didn't stop him from having a dumb opinion about the trade though.

Honestly DB would not know a tram was up him till the connie rang the bell

• Like 11

Showing your age there OD. How many would remember when trams actually had conducters to sell tickets? Ah the days of customer service and full employment.

And Melbourne teams that won games Reverend.

With that about to change who knows about the connies?

• Like 1

And Melbourne teams that won games Reverend.

With that about to change who knows about the connies?

It is about to change OD. Our time is approaching. I'm so excited I can hardly control my anticipation. Can you believe my wife was disappointed when I asked her if she would to go out on Valentine's Day? Well she wasn't until I explained that Melbourne were playing Richmond at Etihad! Some women are hard to please.

• Like 1

It is about to change OD. Our time is approaching. I'm so excited I can hardly control my anticipation. Can you believe my wife was disappointed when I asked her if she would to go out on Valentine's Day? Well she wasn't until I explained that Melbourne were playing Richmond at Etihad! Some women are hard to please.

Impossible comes to mind Reverend.

Honestly DB would not know a tram was up him till the connie rang the bell

Connies. Love it!

conductor red and bluebeard. We had one on the 75 line when I was a lad who would serenade attractive girls and tease school boys with sleight of hand tricks to do with tickets. A by gone era.

I know -- just stirring OD. I remember the tickets they used to hand out, as well as the red rattler trains, and the old trams, which had character, but were a bit uncompromising on the comfort scale ...

Thanks for the reports guys, so much better than Roger's earlier attempts but he did improve for one report ...

Try this on for size then:

From CAPTAIN JACK at Big Footy:

Toumpas looked great, really running over the ground unlike last year. Trengove likewise - running much more freely. Tyson also looks a class act.

Dawes was in the main group for most of the session, looking pretty good I think. He doesn't look far off playing - obviously will be in the intra-club next week, not quite ready for Friday though apparently.

Hogan was really put through his paces off to the side on the rugby field... his fitness would have to be below par at the moment you'd think. Should play close to goal when he does make the grade IMO.

Clark looks nowhere near it. I would be surprised to see him before Round 7-8 or so.

Spencer is definitely the incumbent first ruck ATM... Jamar walking laps as above, Gawn did a fair bit of training too but the Spencil will be the preferred, bigger bodied option IMO.

Blease looks bigger I think. Like tas said he could be a weapon off half back... getting through the pre-season is a great start for his (limited) fitness base. As soon as he falls behind he's not going to catch up that fitness gap, that's just the sort of athlete he is, so it's good to see him in full training - and he should be named in the team for Friday too.

Tapscott was an interesting one - had a bad case of the fumbles. I suspect he hasn't been in the main group much from memory.

Viney might still be behind the 8-ball a bit - he won't play Friday as he dropped out of the 'playing' group near the end of the session along with a few others. Hopefully he is good to go next week... if not he would have to be in some doubt for Round 1. tas should have a full list of this part - who will play and who won't.

JKH is so smooth. Love it. Should play games early I hope. Barry is obviously in a similar mould... has put on some size but is still pretty skinny.

Lowlight of the session was, as above, seeing the Purple [censored] himself, the oxygen thief, the speculating gossip masquerading as a journalist, Damien Barrett. Ew.

• Like 5

Try this on for size then:

From CAPTAIN JACK at Big Footy:

Toumpas looked great, really running over the ground unlike last year. Trengove likewise - running much more freely. Tyson also looks a class act.

Dawes was in the main group for most of the session, looking pretty good I think. He doesn't look far off playing - obviously will be in the intra-club next week, not quite ready for Friday though apparently.

Hogan was really put through his paces off to the side on the rugby field... his fitness would have to be below par at the moment you'd think. Should play close to goal when he does make the grade IMO.

Clark looks nowhere near it. I would be surprised to see him before Round 7-8 or so.

Spencer is definitely the incumbent first ruck ATM... Jamar walking laps as above, Gawn did a fair bit of training too but the Spencil will be the preferred, bigger bodied option IMO.

Blease looks bigger I think. Like tas said he could be a weapon off half back... getting through the pre-season is a great start for his (limited) fitness base. As soon as he falls behind he's not going to catch up that fitness gap, that's just the sort of athlete he is, so it's good to see him in full training - and he should be named in the team for Friday too.

Tapscott was an interesting one - had a bad case of the fumbles. I suspect he hasn't been in the main group much from memory.

Viney might still be behind the 8-ball a bit - he won't play Friday as he dropped out of the 'playing' group near the end of the session along with a few others. Hopefully he is good to go next week... if not he would have to be in some doubt for Round 1. tas should have a full list of this part - who will play and who won't.

JKH is so smooth. Love it. Should play games early I hope. Barry is obviously in a similar mould... has put on some size but is still pretty skinny.

Lowlight of the session was, as above, seeing the Purple [censored] himself, the oxygen thief, the speculating gossip masquerading as a journalist, Damien Barrett. Ew.

So what do you really think of DumMan BarRat? Thanks for report.

Sorry to get off topic but how big a [censored] is barrett? never seen Tyson play... goes on a bender telling anyone who will listen how stupid we are..

i wouldn't have been upset if we swapped Tyson for pick 2, Salem looks a top 5 quality player to me as well, reckon we easily got the better of that deal but Barrett is just a bias idiot.

• Like 1