Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Intraclub Practice Match - Thursday 20th February, 2014

furious d

I know there has been a lot before but for what it is worth, my observations are the following:

1. Hogan at the moment is not fit for round one. In this I make no judgement on his long term potential, but from what I saw today (post quarter time) he got one mark, one goal and two touches for the whole match. He is not fit for round one.

2. It was a very windy morning, but the marking was outstanding: Fitz, Max, and Dawes were really exciting in taking marks inside 50. We saw on show what our gameplan will look like with a forward line. It was very exciting. I saw Robbo walk past as Max missed the third shot for goal after taking an outstanding mark and said "Robbo, teach him to kick straight". Yes I know - ROBBO. Max is an immense force, but he exhibited the dominance he showed at Casey today in the seniors. I do not understand those on here who minimize his influence in the medium term.

3. The forward line showed how we would shaped the gameplan today. It was great to watch.

4. The positives we saw against the Tigers, were reconfirmed again: JKH was brilliant, Blease shied encouraging attack (I even saw him get a free kick on the HF line, get up,and take off towards the boundary line - a much worse position - but we sort of knew what was happening. I also saw him tackle an apponent on the boundary line just in front of me ( literally two metres from me) and he crashed the opponent into the fence over the boundary line. It was not malicious, but it showed he had got the message about intensity. Good signs I would suggest.

5. Watts will be a star this year: he has so much time, so much skill, and the best kick at the club. He s.one will propell us into an elite midfield,

6. Jack Viney is underdone; I have absolutely no argument with his intensity, but he is not yet fit enough to deliver it, and

7. Tom McDonald is a star - enough said.

• Like 5

A few more observations from today.

I think the pre-game drills were again terrific, especially the three-on-three tackling. The drill variety is way up on anything we've had before and seems really well organised.

I saw Mitch Clark head off and run a lap of the Tan early which is better than not doing anything - but did anyone spot Jamar - does he still exist?

I suspect a lot of Roosy's thinking is revealed in the players given leave of absence from today's game and whilst most were obviously senior players who got leather poising v Richmond - eg: Vince, Cross, Jones, Howey, Grimes, Dunn Frawley - the two who will surprise some Demonlanders were Pedersen and McKenzie.

While I'm sure Roosy is managing players to make sure they don't have too many pre-season games, I think you can write all of those guys into the side for Round 1 - barring injuries between now and then - how many of you had Pedo and Jordie in your lineup for Rd1.

The only youngster given the morning game off was Jimmy T - which was interesting and also shows Roosy has him high up in his thinking.

Like everyone else I thought Viv Michie was BOG today and he was playing with the weaker white side.

Fitzy played himself into the side for Alice Springs and assuming they are deemed fit, both Dawes and Gawn will also make the trip.

It was great to see Jonesy, watching from the side, give it to Gawny in a nice way when he was outmarked by Max King today.

I sense that both Viney and Hogan are going to have to work their way into the senior side and won't be picked for Rd 1 and maybe Kent as well, who again looked pretty good. Salem is no chance IMO.

I think Roosy likes making younger guys work for their spots - which is why Jimmy T's omission today was a bit of a surprise, although he has been doing all the hard yards pre-season and is now in top 10 in terms of endurance base.

The only other young player who may make the Rd 1 side is JKH, who has the freakish skills that all coaches like - although I reckon he'll be our sub for Rd 1.

Roosy also took time out to explain things to Bleasey and there's no doubt he's viewed as a key ingredient in his thinking - lock him in for Rd 1.

Of those who lost ground today - I'd reckon Byrnes (one memorable hold of ball when he had an option), Dom Barry (still doesn't seem to know whether to run or hold) and Jetta (did he play, he was that quiet?). Clisby and Nicholson also were less clean and prominent as Strauss and Terlich in the battle for the one or two running defender spots.

One final thing - did anyone else notice that when Casey players got the ball they tended to go back and kick long to a contest in the Neeld style, while the Melbourne listers all looked sideways - another example of what a possession-minded gameplan can do? It's a game plan that will see good kicks - and we have a lot of them although you wouldn't have known it last year - come to the fore.

Two questions:

1) Who was the ponytailed tallish Casey defender - he was the pick of the Casey boys in my mind?

2) This is my fourth session I've been to now and I'm still yet to spot Jayden Hunt - was he out there today?

Finally side for Rd 1 is now starting to take shape (see below) - although with two more practice games against good opposition and with potential injuries, there'll be a few more changes yet.

Defenders (7) - Grimes, Frawley, Dunn, Pedo, Strauss, Terlich, Tom Mc or Georgiou

Midfielders (8) - N.Jones, Vince, Cross, Tyson, Trengrove, Watts, McKenzie and Michie

Rucks (1) - Spencer (Fitzy, Pedo as back up).

Forwards (5) - Dawes, Howey, Fitzy, Blease, Toumpas

Sub: Bail or JKH

Emerg: Kent, Viney, Gawn

• Like 7

Bit of a nothing hit out. 3 short quarters. Lots of Casey guys

Negatives

- No real differentiation between the small defenders gained with Georgiou, Strauss, Terlich but they did look better than the fresh Jetta and Clisby

- No real differentiation in the small forwards with Blease, Byrnes, JKH, Kent or Salem

- Tappy injured

Positives

- good to have Viney and Watts back both played to their strengths

- Michie, Matt Jones and Tyson looked a cut above

- Kent and Salem both involved

- the big boys out there with Gawn and Fitzy impressive (in battle for round 1?)

- minimal injuries

- game style was still on display

How Roosy manages Salem will be very interesting. He has obviously played well in both intraclub games now. Will he be held back and given a long period of development at Casey or will he be put on the big stage earlier than normal for young players under Roos?

Our management of younger players in the last 5 or so years has been widely criticized, but will we as supporters be patient enough and let Roosy do it his way?

he sounds like he's close.

maybe to play off the bench or sub?

By the way I don't neccessarily agree on this notion of needing a 200cm defender for new age forwards. I think McDonald and Fralwey are big enough.

But with the way he moves and kicks the ball plus a natural overhead ability we should seriously consider Max King as a backman.

12 months as a defender never hurt anyone plus he can build endurance that way.

Poor Kingy got smashed in the ruck by guys with height and significant weight on him but still impressed around the ground with some nice marks and a lovely weighted kick to a leading forward.

• Like 3

I sometimes wonder of Fitzy would make a good backman. Strong overhead with some real zip he really just needs to read the play better.

Just putting it out there.

I sometimes wonder of Fitzy would make a good backman. Strong overhead with some real zip he really just needs to read the play better.

Just putting it out there.

Surely he couldn't kick worse than McDonald...

Just a point on Hogan. Of course he is underdone. He jarred his knee and has had limited training for at least a month. However, round 1 is still a month away. He will get plenty of match fitness in that time and barring any further injuries will be 100% by round 1. Same goes for Viney.

• Like 5

Just a point on Hogan. Of course he is underdone. He jarred his knee and has had limited training for at least a month. However, round 1 is still a month away. He will get plenty of match fitness in that time and barring any further injuries will be 100% by round 1. Same goes for Viney.

Good remark. Easy to think Round 1 is next week!! Still 4 weeks from the season proper which is ample time for Hogan and Viney to be ready and firing!

Ditto Dawes.... maybe. Jury is seriously out on his calf issue

Garland... should be ready a week prior to Round 1 perhaps.

Clark.... no

Hey GNF I know it's off topic but have u heard anything in regards to Frawley signing?

Based on your past posts we all know u are well connected .

Cheers

Only played three periods. Michie and Watts good throughout. M Jones and Trengove built as the match went on. Hogan not many opportunities couple of grabs and probably 5 touches all up. Hopefully Dawes is just a knock on the calf as he looked good for the first two periods.

Not in Melbourne but read that it was cold.....but was it ice hockey cold? Three periods!!!!

Just reading social media this is what ive leanrt. Dees extremely buoyant today. Players bubbly, staff up and about .. a world away from the scene at Gosch's last year. A tweet from Stevo.

also JKH obviously played well and will probably play r1.

When I saw a headline demon down I thought oh god who is it. But I htink we can cope without Tappy for a few weeks. But good to read Watts is settling into the midfield. We just need to see it in the real stuff now.

Just reading social media this is what ive leanrt. Dees extremely buoyant today. Players bubbly, staff up and about .. a world away from the scene at Gosch's last year. A tweet from Stevo.

also JKH obviously played well and will probably play r1.

When I saw a headline demon down I thought oh god who is it. But I htink we can cope without Tappy for a few weeks. But good to read Watts is settling into the midfield. We just need to see it in the real stuff now.

I think we can cope without him full stop.

I went today to specifically watch a few players he was one of them.

Now I will admit I am biased against him as I have never seen play a game that he has justified his spot.

He was not on for long but in that time he did the usual, bugger all.

He will be gone in 2015 IMO.

Simply NGE.

A few immediate things that came to mind.

Kingy is 2 years and 15kg away from playing AFL.

Hogan is lacking some serious match practice if he doesn't get that over the next couple of weeks, I can't see him lining up Round 1.

Tyson & Salem look ready to go.

With the doubts on the Big Three. I can see Gawn and Spencer lining up Round 1. (Spencer should teach Jamar how to palm the ball to a player and hit them on the chest)

JKH played all over the ground. Reads the play well and sets up plays.

Hunt has speed to burn, actually looks faster than Blease.

Don't be surprised to see Fitzy at CHF Gawn at FF Howe at FP Round 1. ( don't think the other 3 are any where near right yet)

What about J Toumpas?

By the way I don't neccessarily agree on this notion of needing a 200cm defender for new age forwards. I think McDonald and Fralwey are big enough.

But with the way he moves and kicks the ball plus a natural overhead ability we should seriously consider Max King as a backman.

12 months as a defender never hurt anyone plus he can build endurance that way.

Poor Kingy got smashed in the ruck by guys with height and significant weight on him but still impressed around the ground with some nice marks and a lovely weighted kick to a leading forward.

...but you do think 200cm is too small for a ruck man now? or was it someone else that posted this the other day.

King may well end up a KPP.

1. Hogan at the moment is not fit for round one. In this I make no judgement on his long term potential, but from what I saw today (post quarter time) he got one mark, one goal and two touches for the whole match. He is not fit for round one.

Not a word of a lie, this is the most awesome comment in this thread. What a statement it would make to the league at large if we took the next mega-hyped-saviour-superstar, the guy everyone has been asking "is this the next Wayne Carey?", and said "he's not quite ready for senior footy yet, but if he continues to work hard he will debut when he is ready". How different an introduction that would be for him compared to what Watts, Trenners, Toumpas, et al, have had to endure.

• Like 1

I giggle to myself every time I hear of the progress of Fitzpatrick.

So many writing him off in the early days. He still has a long way to go but there is a take home message - Big boys around 200cm take longer to mature and develop. Guys like NicNat tearing it up from the onset are the exceptions rather than the rule.

NikNat didn't tear it up at the onset, he's still inconsistent, but threatening with a big body now.

I would say that Brodie Grundy tore it up last year in his first season. I would have Grundy over NikNat, atmo.

I agree with You, Fitzy IMO will be fine, & I think he'll be a creative Big Man.

• Like 1

I watched the first half of the game And I don't have a lot to add to what is already written by others Just a few observations.

- The days was very windy compared to the game two weeks ago and this made it more of a scramble .

- Due to a number of the better players missing and the numbers being made up of Casey players the standard of the was considerably lower than the game two weeks ago.

- Baring Injury Spencer will be the first ruck in round 1,

- Gawn surprised me I thought he played well and took a couple of big grabs in the forward line. He was obviously short of a run. If the beard stays he will be Ned to me from here on.

- As others have mentioned I was impressed with Watts, I did not see him put a foot wrong and as others have said seemed to always have time to do things. I will be very surprised if he does not have a big year.

- Fitzy played well I thought, he has size, Good hands and kicked well today. He is going to take a good backman every week, if teams don't give him full attention he will hurt them on the score board.

- Nicholson if he plays AFL this year we will have a large number of serious injuries. His disposal is not AFL, I doubt it is good enough for VFL.

- Dawes I thought he played well until injured but there lies the rub. Injured again, honestly will this ever end. I seriously question his worth if you cannot stay on the park you are not worth a cracker.

- Byrnes whatever got him in a premiership team at Geelong is long gone. Honestly play a kid not him. If we have injuries play a kid, anyone who has a possible future because he does not.

• Like 5

NikNat didn't tear it up at the onset, he's still inconsistent, but threatening with a big body now.

I would say that Brodie Grundy tore it up last year in his first season. I would have Grundy over NikNat, atmo.

I agree with You, Fitzy IMO will be fine, & I think he'll be a creative Big Man.

I may have overstated on NikNat tearing it up. Let me put it this way - Niknats first season had lots of nice moments for a highlight reel - a preview of things to come. Fitzy's first seasons had ,lets say, some comic relief ? That is no disrespect to Fitzy because I somewhat expect it but four years on and he is maturing nicely.

Those tall blokes in the main are big and gawky and take time to grow into those bodies.

My point is that at the end of the four or five years the Fitzy type of player may still be a "spud" and then you may need to cut them but I don't call it on blokes that size until they are around 23.

...but you do think 200cm is too small for a ruck man now? or was it someone else that posted this the other day.

King may well end up a KPP.

Dont know if I said that but it's borderline.

Think most teams will go for a ruck 205+ or 200cm with a big leap. That's a role more suited for Spencer and Gawn. King is coming along with Clark and Fitzy as that 200cm ruck/forward. Or as I think they should investigate as a key defender

I giggle to myself every time I hear of the progress of Fitzpatrick.

I reckon that he is tracking very nicely. Stunned that there were some calling to trade him.

• Like 1