Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Intraclub Practice Match - Thursday 20th February, 2014

furious d

Forgot to mention my mate Bail.

Never been impressed.

By all accounts he played well against Richmond and surprised me today on a couple of occasions.

Gee I hope I have to eat my words by August.

Aside from his abysmal set shots Bail was really good against the Tigers. His workrate really showed through and he kept on popping up and finding space. He could easily find a spot playing as a rotating mid/HF this year, especially if he learns to kick from a set shot . Should have had four goals last Friday.

• Like 1

So impressed with George Stone, couldn't ask for a better bloke to be in charge of our young midfield and think in time he will be as valuable to our club as Paul Roos

Yep. As good a builder of footballers as anyone coaching in the AFL.
  • Like 1

I think that was only about list balance and trying to work out a way to keep draft picks whilst bring in experienced talent. But if by some miracle Clark, Dawes and Hogan all played the entire year and Fitzy didn't get a look in he'd probably be asking for a trade himself so it's not crazy. Personally I don't think you trade your depth in the one area of the ground you actually have some in. That's crazy.

My only concern about Fitzy is now that he's brought his unique style of game to the AFL is he going to iron out the weaknesses. This goal kicking action with a ball drop from about 1m high is unacceptable. He looks thicker framed this year to help his body but can he get to that really good body shape with the right combination of speed, strength and endurance especially given his health issues. And will he learn enough ruck work to be a competent back up. Last year when he went in to the ruck it was like oh well we may as well concede the hit outs lets hope he can use his speed around the ground.

Re Fitzy : overall, would you prefer Fitzy who gets some hit outs, though maybe not enough, AND who provides a lot around the ground and up forward, to Jamar who the last couple of years has had far more hit outs (though very few resulting in clearances, surely the aim of wining a hit out) AND seriously about zero around the ground? I know who I would prefer

• Like 1

Re Fitzy : overall, would you prefer Fitzy who gets some hit outs, though maybe not enough, AND who provides a lot around the ground and up forward, to Jamar who the last couple of years has had far more hit outs (though very few resulting in clearances, surely the aim of wining a hit out) AND seriously about zero around the ground? I know who I would prefer

If your coaching group is smart enough then you can set up your mids to rove to the opp ruckman. I'll take a mobile big man over a tap ruck man every day of the week.

• Like 1

I think we can cope without him full stop.

I went today to specifically watch a few players he was one of them.

Now I will admit I am biased against him as I have never seen play a game that he has justified his spot.

He was not on for long but in that time he did the usual, bugger all.

He will be gone in 2015 IMO.

Simply NGE.

you must have missed his first season then, because he had a couple of ripper games.... He hasn't looked the same since his hip injuries, at the end of his first season. Those injuries have probably ended his career...

I'm stating to get the feeling that the 'Russian' may only get games, when the others need a rest this year.

I've only been on Demonland for a short period of time, so I'm unaware of past pre-seasons... But a lot of people seem to be so damn hopefully and positive about the players progression, how they're going in intra club matches, etc so forth.

I'm unaware if it's always been pretty positive, or a lot of people see potential and are real hopeful?

It isn't a bad thing by all accounts, I'd just hate to have another crap year.

Go Dees.

As the ruckman who plays 75% of the game I'd rather Jamar. But mainly a Spencer or Gawn!

Hit outs are overrated but getting destroyed in hit outs really kills you.

As the second ruck competing with the opponents second id rather Fitzy. But it's not Fitzy v Jamar for that it's Fitzy v Gawn who is a better ruck and a better contested mark forward even though Fitzy is a far superior forward in all other aspects

I've only been on Demonland for a short period of time, so I'm unaware of past pre-seasons... But a lot of people seem to be so damn hopefully and positive about the players progression, how they're going in intra club matches, etc so forth.

I'm unaware if it's always been pretty positive, or a lot of people see potential and are real hopeful?

Go Dees.

It possibly has always been positive and it might seem like that again, but, I'm sure it's not! Does that make you feel better?? Probably not but there is a way of gageing the way the boys feel and this is definitely different. This year will be much different, not just a little!

Go Dees.

Theres always confidence. But usually it's based on hope of this and hope of that. This year we've at least actually seen some results already.

In previous years we'd be saying Salem and JKH are key parts of the team. This year we hope they can give us some decent games and play a role

• Like 1

Theres always confidence. But usually it's based on hope of this and hope of that. This year we've at least actually seen some results already.

In previous years we'd be saying Salem and JKH are key parts of the team. This year we hope they can give us some decent games and play a role

Good point, St Kilda are a bit like that this year, getting all hyped up on Jack Billings. I have no doubt he'll be a great player, as like the rest of the top 10 draftees of 2013, but you don't want to get them too hyped up just yet. I could understand us when we were hyping Viney though, if he's anything like his old man (which he is), he'll be good (which he is), he'll only get better too.

It possibly has always been positive and it might seem like that again, but, I'm sure it's not! Does that make you feel better?? Probably not but there is a way of gageing the way the boys feel and this is definitely different. This year will be much different, not just a little!

Too true, I definitely saw a different Melbourne side on Friday night. Yes it was pretty much a practice match blah blah, but we still showed how serious we now are.

Go Dees.

it's like this every year mate, hope rises, dwindles, rises and finally dwindles again fast round these parts. it's a vicious cycle.

Welcome to the sickness.

• Like 1

ive never seen a kid more ready to play. a joke posters want to baby him at casey for another year. he played 15 games last year at casey n won the bnf. you got to play sometime.

he has a month to rd 1 to get touch and get more miles.

also gawn and fitz for rd 1. imo spencer only plays when every thing fails.

Fitzy has improved and I love his work but if both are fit, Dawes is a class ahead. More experience, works smarter, better contested mark, knows where to run and a leader.

Based on today's form, I don't think they will play Hogan in round1, so Fitz definitely plays, with Jamar in the ruck and Max ruck forward pocket. Max was outstanding today marking in the forward pocket. (as was Fitz) but I would give him half and hour personal kicking for goal practice every training session. I counted five set shots within 25 metres of goal and I don't think he got any. Admittedly it was a windy day, but others such ascFitz and Dawes were pretty accurate including Fitzy kicking one of his famous reverse side of the boot from the boundary line about 40 metres out - his speciality!

I am very excited about our tall men this year, max, Fitz and Dawes appear to be in very good form. hogan will get there but needs to be fitter and needs to find his form at Casey while he does it for maybe 6 weeks or so. Tom Mac down back is also just getting better and better. He is in for a terrific year as is Chip Frawley based on Friday's form.

Just a point on Hogan. Of course he is underdone. He jarred his knee and has had limited training for at least a month. However, round 1 is still a month away. He will get plenty of match fitness in that time and barring any further injuries will be 100% by round 1. Same goes for Viney.

Yes I think Viney will be ready to

Just a point on Hogan. Of course he is underdone. He jarred his knee and has had limited training for at least a month. However, round 1 is still a month away. He will get plenty of match fitness in that time and barring any further injuries will be 100% by round 1. Same goes for Viney.

Yes I agree Viney will be ready to go round 1, but I doubt Hogan will. He looked a bit over weight and not fit enough right now. I cant see that being corrected in a month, let alone match fitness. Anyway I think letting him ease into AFL with half a dozen rounds at Casey (which he will dominate) sends a really good signal to the rest of the competition, one where we could well be 4:2 by then and in the eight. Bringing him in then and have him dominate would show we are a strong club with plenty of firepower.

Of course if he has a dramatic form reversal in the next month, then I would certainly play him, but if he is just average, best to gain that form at Casey. We should not "do a Jack Watts" with him as I'm sure Roos has no intention of doing, as he has flagged often enough in his numerous comments on the topic pre season.

I was there yesterday but work commitments left me with little time to comment and most of what transpired has already been well covered above.

The whole session, including the real first "quarter" which was the pre game training session looked well structured. It was interesting that a group of about 10 or 11 players (mentioned on page 3 of this thread) left immediately afterwards and did not take part in the intraclub game. Instead, they did a lot of work starting with sprints on the adjoining oval. With the exception of Aidan Riley who's coming back from injury, the rest were all reasonably significant contributors last Friday night and I'm wondering if some or all of them are going to be rested for next week's game?

We should also thank the contingent from Casey who helped make up the numbers. This sort of warm up will benefit the Scorpions in 2014 as well.

We also seem to be receiving a fair amount of publicity these days with most of the articles reasonably factual and, refreshingly, very little of them agenda based.

Top Melbourne draft picks Christan Salem, Jay Kennedy-Harris firm for Round 1 after intra-club practice match

Melbourne Power Rankings: Every Demons player rated ahead of the 2014 AFL season

Demon Luke Tapscott injures knee

I never thought I would say this but I agree OD. Dawes and Clark are an enticing prospect but I too am now starting to doubt whether they will ever get on the park together. I remember a post I wrote in November when I said after October training that Clark and Dawes will not appear fully fit until well into March and may be not even then. There were houls of outrage from the soviet on here, but it wasn't far off the mark ( unfortunately).

Another issues, not really discussed on here today at at any length, was the very substandard performance of Hogsn today. He seemed to me to be unfit, and overweight. I doubt whether he will play round one. He shouldn't. He doesnt deserve it. Which I guess is what Roos has been saying all along. Those in form will play, those who are not wont - irrespective of their potential or reputation.. And I think that is a good thing

I totally agree with you Dees. On what I saw yesterday Hogan is a long way off in deserving a spot in Round 1. He didn't run enough to create opportunities and thus appeared to be part of a crowded forward line. His body language wasn't great either. He looked frustrated at times with the ball delivery. When he did run into space, they looked for him. As mentioned he isn't fit enough. On form I would have Dawes, Fitzy and Howe as our tall forward setup for the opening round.