Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons' Jack Watts ready to take on the elite

Romey

Pick we used on Jack Grimes.

Then we did very well indeed {and they would definitely be ruing the day).

I think Watts best position would be wing. Don't think he has the balls to be a midfielder but surely it can't hurt throwing him in there - he may just grow some.

With Watts height, speed, kicking/decision making and aerobic capacity he could use all of his strengths to his advantage playing on the wing. He could use his speed and aerobic capacity to burn off/tire opponents.

He is no good in congestion but playing as a wing man he could drift from back pocket to forward flank either clearing the ball from defense or setting up a goal with his kicking/decision making.

If learns how to use his height and weight he could also be a good target coming out of defense.

Watts needs to become the kind of player which keeps his opponents always on his toes - not the other way round. I just don't think I could stand a whole year of Watts trying to chase midfielders around with half arsed tackles.

• Like 4

Despite there being many sceptics, I am sure that we (nearly) all would love for Jack to succeed and become a very influential player this year.

If Roos can't help him discover himself, then I doubt if anyone can.

Over to you Jack.

• Like 1

Interesting article in today's Age on Jack Watts moving into the midfield. Given his efficiency with the ball, time in the system and improved fitness this could prove to be master stroke move by Paul Roos. Let's hope he becomes our own version of Scott Pendlebury given their basketball background and similar physiques.

Demons' Jack' Watts ready to take on the elite

I don't think we'll ever see him as a Scott Pendlebury, SP was always a midfielder and a highly rated one at that. Simply because they are both tall and have basketball backgrounds is not a good enough comparison for me.

I don't like doing player comparisons, but if I am to do one I believe his role will be more of a poor mans Nathan Fyfe [for 2014 anway]. Hopefully he can cement a position and role sooner rather than later so he can focus and build his game for seasons to come.

See Fyfe was also drafted as a forward. He too never really crashed packs, but had very clean hands with a nice leap to mark above or around them. He also had/has excellent technique with the endurance and athleticism to match. Making him able to get around the ground or into open spaces like the forward line (while on the offensive) with ease.

So there are many similarities I see with Watts, and I believe it's Roos' plan to make Watts into a big bodied and somewhat dynamic midfielder with the ability to push/ wonder into the forward line while on the offensive.

I think Watts best position would be wing. Don't think he has the balls to be a midfielder but surely it can't hurt throwing him in there - he may just grow some.

With Watts height, speed, kicking/decision making and aerobic capacity he could use all of his strengths to his advantage playing on the wing. He could use his speed and aerobic capacity to burn off/tire opponents.

He is no good in congestion but playing as a wing man he could drift from back pocket to forward flank either clearing the ball from defense or setting up a goal with his kicking/decision making.

If learns how to use his height and weight he could also be a good target coming out of defense.

Watts needs to become the kind of player which keeps his opponents always on his toes - not the other way round. I just don't think I could stand a whole year of Watts trying to chase midfielders around with half arsed tackles.

If Watts is on the wing that is nearly tantamount to being an outside mid as he can cover the ground quickly enough after the bounce to receive the ball from Jones, Cross, Tyson and Co. and then deliver it into our forward line [presuming we have some of them over their niggling injuries by the First round].

• Like 1

so you don't regard wing as midfield?

Watts has sublime moments of vision and finesse but also stuffs up when he gets caught thinking...

I'm not convinced he's as 'soft' as people say, but he often hesitates to go in when he gets caught thinking...

He's also quite a good shot at goal, but sometimes sprays it completely when he gets caught thinking...

So, what I'm saying is, Watts can be a great player when in a good mental space, calm but alert.

I wonder where we'd find a coach who was right into fostering that sort of thing? :)

I also agree in a perverse sort of a way

When I watch I see him hesitating after his initial instinctive action has been unsupported by those around him

he makes position in space but our players were unable to get the ball too him.

He collects ball but no one was running past to take his initial handpass or there was no-one leading to a vacant spot. He was often tackled as he "was thinking" but it was probably more on the line of WTF do I do now

He hesitates tackling as he knows that takes him out of the play when the ball comes out but it usually did not come out directed to him as it was the opposition or our players delivery was poor.

I hope that improved players, improved skills and improved coaches instructions will see JW involved more in the play where his instinctive actions are better used.

But I also agree that a lot of this is a mental approach and I hope he confirms the confidence he is talking at the moment to set himself some high performance standards that he meets.

• Like 1

so you don't regard wing as midfield?

What I meant was he would be better on the wing then starting in the circle. I guess I wasn't really picturing watt's in the corridor so not really your typical midfielder.

• Like 1

I have been advised wing is now mid and i am sure Roos wants Watts on the wing/mid taking the ball from defence and yes a great target in open spaces..Watts not a good option for inside mid..

• Like 2

Watts has sublime moments of vision and finesse but also stuffs up when he gets caught thinking...

I'm not convinced he's as 'soft' as people say, but he often hesitates to go in when he gets caught thinking...

He's also quite a good shot at goal, but sometimes sprays it completely when he gets caught thinking...

So, what I'm saying is, Watts can be a great player when in a good mental space, calm but alert.

I wonder where we'd find a coach who was right into fostering that sort of thing? :)

Yes, completely agree with this.

What I meant was he would be better on the wing then starting in the circle. I guess I wasn't really picturing watt's in the corridor so not really your typical midfielder.

sorry to be further pedantic, but i think you mean centre square rather than circle. the centre circle is quite small :)

• Like 1

If he really works hard he could be the new Cale Morton!

• Like 1

IIRC, Jack has only really played 1 game in the midfield which was Rd8 2012 v Swan (we lost by 101 points) and by playing in the midfield i mean that he lined up at the centre bounce.

In reality "playing in the midfield" that night was essentially playing as 7th, 8th, 9th & 10th defenders as the I50 count was 71 to 35 (33 scoring shots to 12).

Stats for the game:

34 Disposals (18 kicks; 16 HB)

11 Marks (2 contested)

1 tackle

1 free for

1 free against

12 contested possessions (equal 5th on ground)

76.5% disposal efficiency (26 effective disposal - equal BOG)

4 clangers

2 clearances

8 rebound 50s (only 6 dee's players didnt record a R50)

3 1%'ers

150 Supercoach points (2nd behind Kieran Jack)

If you dont remember the game, dont go watch it... it was horrible; but Jack and Sam Blease (maybe Garland) were the only good things that arvo for us.

Even Neeld recognised Jack's efforts in his special backhanded way when he said something along the lines of

"Well when your best midfielder is playing his first game in the middle, you know you are in trouble"

Someone might be able to help with that quote.

But my main point is that he has never played in the midfield in the AFL so don't write him off.

But if you have watched any of the games he played at Sandringham he was used as a midfielder, he only played CHF for Vic Metro and even then he ran through the midfield in parts of games.

I believe that we all want Jack to succeed, but we all have different expectations on him which will lead to knockers no matter what but as supporters rather than sitting here doubting him before he has even kicked a ball this season, which is just plain disrespectful, why dont we look at what he is doing on the track (i havent been this pre-season). It does seem from the reports that he is more involved, pushing harder, he has moved up into the "top" group in the running and is generally working harder in training (which is a knock everyone seems to have on him).

It is hard being positive after so many years of mediocrity, but finally it feels like we are moving in the right direction. If we are to climb to the top it is guys like Jack, Trenners, Tyson, Toumpas, Mitchie & Viney who are going to be the driving force and guys like Cross & Vince are there to add depth, experience and protection for the younger guys.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 6

IIRC, Jack has only really played 1 game in the midfield which was Rd8 2012 v Swan (we lost by 101 points) and by playing in the midfield i mean that he lined up at the centre bounce.

In reality "playing in the midfield" that night was essentially playing as 7th, 8th, 9th & 10th defenders as the I50 count was 71 to 35 (33 scoring shots to 12).

Stats for the game:

11 Marks (2 contested)

1 tackle

1 free for

1 free against

4 clangers

2 clearances

3 1%'ers

If you dont remember the game, dont go watch it... it was horrible; but Jack and Sam Blease (maybe Garland) were the only good things that arvo for us.

Even Neeld recognised Jack's efforts in his special backhanded way when he said something along the lines of

"Well when your best midfielder is playing his first game in the middle, you know you are in trouble"

Someone might be able to help with that quote.

But my main point is that he has never played in the midfield in the AFL so dont write him off.

But if you have watched any of the games he played at Sandrigham he was used as a midfielder, he only played CHF for Vic Metro and even then he ran through the midfield in parts of games.

I believe that we all want Jack to succeed, but we all have different expectations on him which will lead to knockers no matter what but as supporters rather than sitting here doubting him before he has even kicked a ball this season, which is just plain disrespectful, why dont we look at what he is doing on the track (i havent been this pre-season). It does seem from the reports that he is more involved, pushing harder, he has moved up into the "top" group in the running and is generally working harder in training (which is a knock everyone seems to have on him).

It is hard being positive after so many years of mediocrity, but finally it feels like we are moving in the right direction. If we are to climb to the top it is guys like Jack, Trenners, Tyson, Toumpas, Mitchie & Viney who are going to be the driving force and guys like Cross & Vince are there to add depth, experience and protection for the younger guys.

Sorry for the rant

Don't be sorry for the rant. It was well thought out and well written DB. I hope your right. Too many here and elsewhere question effort from the players. It's not as if they want to be out there losing week in week out. It must be so demoralising! The guys all have the tools to succeed now. We have got plenty of good, A Grade players on our list. With Roosy et al showing the way, we will definitely be a much better side this year. I'm hoping for a few more wins, but more importantly, a more competitive outfit this year. I don't want to be watching 20 goal losses again. I think we have the team to do it.

Don't be sorry for the rant. It was well thought out and well written DB. I hope your right. Too many here and elsewhere question effort from the players. It's not as if they want to be out there losing week in week out. It must be so demoralising! The guys all have the tools to succeed now. We have got plenty of good, A Grade players on our list. With Roosy et al showing the way, we will definitely be a much better side this year. I'm hoping for a few more wins, but more importantly, a more competitive outfit this year. I don't want to be watching 20 goal losses again. I think we have the team to do it.

" Plenty of A grade players"

Sorry I don't agree IMO

We have a few a grade players and a host of kids who have yet to prove themselves and the majority will take two or three years to be regular players.

The progress IMO will be slow and lots of patience will be necessary.

• Like 1

" Plenty of A grade players"

Sorry I don't agree IMO

We have a few a grade players and a host of kids who have yet to prove themselves and the majority will take two or three years to be regular players.

The progress IMO will be slow and lots of patience will be necessary.

We can agree to disagree Old Dee. IMO Watts, N Jones, Clark, Hogan, Viney, Garlo, Frawley are all A Graders. With the calibre of young ones coming in added to the likes of Vince, Cross and Tyson, we have the nucleus of a very good team. I'm not saying its going to happen a la Port 2013, but it WILL happen. Have faith guys.

We can agree to disagree Old Dee. IMO Watts, N Jones, Clark, Hogan, Viney, Garlo, Frawley are all A Graders. With the calibre of young ones coming in added to the likes of Vince, Cross and Tyson, we have the nucleus of a very good team. I'm not saying its going to happen a la Port 2013, but it WILL happen. Have faith guys.

Hogan has not played one game and fits in the Kids class IMO. Not sure I would give Vince and Tyson A grade status yet.

So IMO your eight stated players out of forty does not qualify as Plenty.

We need way more than eight to force our way back to respectability.

I hope you are right I don't need another season like 2013.

Edited by old dee

Stats for the game:

11 Marks (2 contested)

1 tackle

1 free for

1 free against

4 clangers

2 clearances

3 1%'ers

He played in the back-line mainly as the sweeper. His "opponent" was Jude Bolton.

That is a sh it comparison. The most relative (or heard about) is Pendlebury, and I believe he has the tools to be that good.

Watts is a victim of poor development in a poor team. If he was drafted by Collingwood in '08 he'd be a vastly different player. Roos will extract everything we've seen glimpses of in Jack on a regular basis.

Pendlebury is a good comparison, but surely Pendlebury's sidewards agility is grades above.

As for the victim of poor development? While I think Neeld treated him appallingly (subbing Essendon game 2013), hunger for the pill should be so intrinsic that it can't be taught or erased.

Personally, I can't see Watts the midfielder. I want to see it, but I can't. I know Roos is trying to emulate the Freo midfield giants (Mundy, Fyfe etc..), but I can't see how Watts can be the transitioned into the midfield.

I really wonder whether Roos knows this (Watts midfield) will work. The good thing is it won't do him any harm trying. His engine will be better. His body will be more hardened and his tackling intensity etc. will be better.

But he will end up forward; he is a natural; and he is the guy I want having 8 shots at the big sticks come GF day 2018.

• Like 2

I'll raise that with yours being a sh it analogy. My clear understanding is that Pendlebury played a position in basketball that required significantly more peripheral awareness than the position Watts played.

They both played as point guards, you twit.

What are you on about??

• Like 1

For those who don't recall, Watts played a few games in the midfield in 2011 before he was tried out in the backline for a further few games. I seem to remember him being thrown into the midfield after an early game against the Gold Coast when he didn't see much of the ball. By the time we defeated Essendon in round 11 of 2011, he was playing in the backline as a loose man in defence.

When he played those few games in the midfield, he at times looked ok and he won his own ball to a fairly acceptable level. His possession rate against North, the Saints and Carlton was reasonably good in those games as well (rounds 8,9 and 10) It's not much to go on but I thought he showed a bit - nothing startling though. Not sure that he played the entirety of those games in the midfield but he was in there predominantly.

I've said since Watts was drafted: he'll play his best footy as a Pendlebury type role where he is getting the ball in the midfield, using his evasive skills and delivering it to the forwards, where he'll lead the AFL in goal assists.

I'm backing him in.

You can't tell me Pendlebury or Thomas were that hard.

I'm saw them play up close in juniors and they were both soft.

They just had the benefit of good coaching to toughen them up early in their careers.

Unfortunately for us, Watts hasn't had much of that until now.

It's not too late though.

• Like 3