Next years guernsey

Chook in Perth

I really find it hard to believe that after all this time people still can't accept that we have no choice but to wear white.

There is so much nostalgic foot stomping on this site it's ridiculous.

This reads like WYL wrote it.

To say the away jumper 'doesn't even remotely resemble our traditional jumper' is biased nonsense - one is white, one is blue, but they both have the same distinctive red V.

The fact that a red jumper would avoid a clash with Port does not solve the issue, because a red jumper doesn't solve the issues with Adelaide, Essendon or St Kilda.

How ridiculous.

You're assuming that the AFL won't or can't change their mind on the issue. Are you that gullible that you don't question anything? Nothing is gospel with regards to any decision the AFL might make - it's astonishing that people like you don't realise that.

A bit of advice - don't believe everything you're told in life.

Every Demon fan I know hates the white jumper with a passion - who buys and wears them? I rarely see them being worn at the footy - the only time I see them is when our team plays in them.

The white jumper does not have a place at our club and in a few years, it will be a thing of the past (that's if our club has the gumption to stand up to the AFL)

Edited by Macca

I really find it hard to believe that after all this time people still can't accept that we have no choice but to wear white.

There is so much nostalgic foot stomping on this site it's ridiculous.

This reads like WYL wrote it.

To say the away jumper 'doesn't even remotely resemble our traditional jumper' is biased nonsense - one is white, one is blue, but they both have the same distinctive red V.

The fact that a red jumper would avoid a clash with Port does not solve the issue, because a red jumper doesn't solve the issues with Adelaide, Essendon or St Kilda.

How ridiculous.

you quisling

You're assuming that the AFL won't or can't change their mind on the issue. Are you that gullible that you don't question anything? Nothing is gospel with regards to any decision the AFL might make - it's astonishing that people like you don't realise that. I can only assume that you're a bit wet behind the ears.

A bit of advice - don't believe everything you're told in life.

Every Demon fan I know hates the white jumper with a passion - who buys and wears them? I rarely see them being worn at the footy - the only time I see them is when our team plays in them.

The white jumper does not have a place at our club and in a few years, it will be a thing of the past (that's if our club has the gumption to stand up to the AFL)

I'm a Demon fan, and I don't 'hate the white jumper with a passion'. I also live in an extended family of Demon fans who don't care about the white jumper. I certainly prefer the home jumper to the away jumper, but I really don't care about the white jumper as much as I care about the actual game being played in it.

As for all this conspiracy/scandal/anti-establishment talk, you're sounding increasingly delusional.

As for all this conspiracy/scandal/anti-establishment talk

Now you're putting words into my mouth.

Go away and bother someone else - and learn how to talk to people in a civil manner.

Now you're putting words into my mouth.

Go away and bother someone else - and learn how to talk to people in a civil manner.

I haven't put a single word in your mouth. That's just how I view your take on the relationship between Melbourne and the AFL. I see it as delusional.

As for civility, maybe you'd do well to take your own advice, after calling me 'wet behind the ears'.

This isn't the first time we've disagreed on something, it probably won't be the last, but your arguments are a lot better (e.g. on the fixturing stuff) when they're not fanciful.

... your arguments are a lot better (e.g. on the fixturing stuff) when they're not fanciful.

Read my next post in reply to 'dpositive' if you believe I'm being fanciful.

Edited by Macca

I have tried to resist but with no like button feeling compelled to indicate my support for many of the arguments I would place foremost Maccas attempts to placate many of objections and his reasonable submission

I would further like to see him prepare a submission to the club for presentation to the AFL

Like him I believe there are powerful reasons to argue for our red and blue (consider the theme song being belted out on national TV when we win in the white strip. A striking conflict? The AFL may have forgotten that this can happen)

and I believe that the AFL are also about asthetics and will understand that contrast can occur with red and blue with no white required.

And if we can show that as we win our increasing support base will continue to buy greater numbers of jumpers the economics can be satisfied.

Couldn't agree more 'dpositive'.

When I had a few moments last week I matched up all the AFL teams jumpers with ours (side by side) and there's really only once or twice where the clash of jumpers is a real issue.

1) Against Carlton, the Eagles, Port and Freo we could have a bit more red (a bigger V)

2) Against the Lions, Dogs and Crows we could have a bit less red.

3) I don't believe we clash with St Kilda at all.

4) Essendon might be an issue and that's where a clever design could be done.

5) The rest, no issues.

6) In many ways, to avoid a clash of jumpers, the answer could be a quite a simple one - increase or decrease the depth of the red 'V' on our existing traditional jumper ... and it may not have to be a substantial adjustment.

Further to the above, if we're the home team against any of aforementioned teams, it's should be up to those teams to change their jumper.

Lets be straight here, the white jumper is not "exactly" a clash jumper, it's more of an away jumper. Apart from all that, as a marketing ploy, it hasn't worked.

Edited by Macca

This may have been answered somewhere, but is one of the reasons why our clash jumper is predominantly white because of these 'rules' people speak of?

I think the answer is yes but also it shows the rules seem so flexible. I'd almost prefer if the AFL moved in to full time home and away jumpers so every team had to play by strict rules instead of how it is currently. Essendon and Collingwood just made a mockery of the rules by thickening their sash or stripes. For the same reason if Essendon can just bulk up the amount of red to change a dark jersey to the light one then we could do the same. Or replace our blue with a light blue.

At the end of the day the current clash jumper doesn't bother me too much. It retains red and blue in the proper colours, with the red V and just replaced a chunk of blue with white whilst keeping some blue down the side.

I'd rather we focus on winning games instead of worrying about the jumper.

I think the answer is yes but also it shows the rules seem so flexible. I'd almost prefer if the AFL moved in to full time home and away jumpers so every team had to play by strict rules instead of how it is currently. Essendon and Collingwood just made a mockery of the rules by thickening their sash or stripes. For the same reason if Essendon can just bulk up the amount of red to change a dark jersey to the light one then we could do the same. Or replace our blue with a light blue.

At the end of the day the current clash jumper doesn't bother me too much. It retains red and blue in the proper colours, with the red V and just replaced a chunk of blue with white whilst keeping some blue down the side.

I'd rather we focus on winning games instead of worrying about the jumper.

I know we all hate Collingwood with a passion but one of their colours is white. And their away strip does a good job of maximising the white and becoming a white clash jumper.

Essendon would look much better in white with a black and red sash than they do in that awful grey thing.

As for your last line:

god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

I know we all hate Collingwood with a passion but one of their colours is white. And their away strip does a good job of maximising the white and becoming a white clash jumper.

Essendon would look much better in white with a black and red sash than they do in that awful grey thing.

As for your last line:

Yeah I suppose the pies haven't gone too badly in the end but I think there was a year or so that the clash and main was the same thing. Nowadays it's better and cause they didn't really clash anyway it's not a huge deal.

Bit of a shoutout to Melbourne Victory who after years of disaster with some crazy colours have done well with the white and light blue I think this year.

(sarcasm alert)

I reckon all those in favour of the white jumper should go out and buy one of these "items" and wear it proudly at our games. Just wear it every time to square the ledger. Apparently sales are a bit slow and the club could do with the extra revenue (let's face it, we're stuck with it so we may as well embrace it)

Furthermore, I call on the Demonland administrators to change the jumper type of the 8 melbourne players who are on the banner. Put them all in the white jumpers please (say for 5 years or so - the other "traditional" jumper has had a decent enough run)

The club's logo needs a stack more white in it too - there is a disproportionate quantity of "white" involved and it needs urgent attention.

Let's all sing together ...

"It's a grand old flag
It's a high flying flag
It's the emblem for me and for you
It's the emblem of the team we love
The team of the red, white and blue
Ev'ry heart beats true
For the red, white and blue
And we sing this song to you
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
Keep your eye on the red, white and blue!"

(sarcasm alert)

I reckon all those in favour of the white jumper should go out and buy one of these "items" and wear it proudly at our games. Just wear it every time to square the ledger. Apparently sales are a bit slow and the club could do with the extra revenue (let's face it, we're stuck with it so we may as well embrace it)

Furthermore, I call on the Demonland administrators to change the jumper type of the 8 melbourne players who are on the banner. Put them all in the white jumpers please (say for 5 years or so - the other "traditional" jumper has had a decent enough run)

The club's logo needs a stack more white in it too - there is a disproportionate quantity of "white" involved and it needs urgent attention.

"It's a grand old flag

It's a high flying flag

Ev'ry heart beats true

Did you know that the MFC were called The Invincible Whites back in the 1860s?

Did you also know that the MFC spent around 80 years of its existence NOT being called the Demons?

Should we go back to the Fuschias? If we don't want to spoil our rich heritage than would be ruined by change how did we let that former Richmond jerk 'Checker' Hughes change our moniker?

And our Traditional Jumper is a red yolk on navy blue. Switch it around - ruined. Have mainly red - ruined. Have a demon on it - ruined.

There is no such thing as a good alternative strip, it's an oxymoron.

Did you know that the MFC were called The Invincible Whites back in the 1860s?

Did you also know that the MFC spent around 80 years of its existence NOT being called the Demons?

Should we go back to the Fuschias? If we don't want to spoil our rich heritage than would be ruined by change how did we let that former Richmond jerk 'Checker' Hughes change our moniker?

And our Traditional Jumper is a red yolk on navy blue. Switch it around - ruined. Have mainly red - ruined. Have a demon on it - ruined.

you still peddling that rubbish about the invincible whites and the white cricket clobber?

as for concentrating on winning games - we did that for the last 7 years for SFA results

i say we concentrate on getting rid of that goddam awful abortion of a clash jumper and then worry about winning some games

you still peddling that rubbish about the invincible whites and the white cricket clobber?

as for concentrating on winning games - we did that for the last 7 years for SFA results

i say we concentrate on getting rid of that goddam awful abortion of a clash jumper and then worry about winning some games

It's not rubbish, daisycutter, it's our history. You can't with one voice say 'but our song says 'red and blue'!!' but at the same time say 'the Invincible Whites stuff is rubbish'.

Focusing on our clash jumper instead of winning is the true rubbish. It's also somewhat hilarious, given that's the kind of attitude that led us to hate Cameron Schwab.

Sorry dc but you have it arse about!

then again our song is based on this

You're a Grand Old Flag
by George M. Cohan

You're a grand old flag,
You're a high flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave.
You're the emblem of
The land I love.
The home of the free and the brave.
Ev'ry heart beats true
'neath the Red, White and Blue,
Where there's never a boast or brag.
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Keep your eye on the grand old flag.

You're a grand old flag,
You're a high flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave.
You're the emblem of
The land I love.
The home of the free and the brave.
Ev'ry heart beats true
'neath the Red, White and Blue,
Where there's never a boast or brag.
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Keep your eye on the grand old flag.

Then again, we changed it to suit and there's NO white. I would prefer to keep it that way

It just joins a list of things about Melbourne I dont like.

Losing, selling games, losing, stupid white jumpers , losing....and most of all LOSING !!! ( a t f t !! )

but then Im just a grumpy old bugger ....im entitled

(sarcasm alert)

"It's a grand old flag

It's a high flying flag

Ev'ry heart beats true

Please. The biggest club in the world Manchester United are specifically the Red Devils. Their away jersey has been white, blue, orange and black in the last 7 years. In some cases because of sponsorship. It'll take one team to risk it with a sponsorship with the likes of Yellow Pages, for a yellow jumper for all away games get them to pay you $2-2.5 Mil a year because the publicity would be amazing for them and all clubs will do it. Mark my words.

Ev'ry heart beats true

Red White and Blue they're waiting for your call :rolleyes:

I don't believe we've seen enough experimentation or had anyone placed in a position to find out if there is or there isn't (a good alternative strip) We'll only have a definitive answer if all avenues and choices are exhausted.

Look at the Pies - what now looks like an obvious answer took at least a few years to come to fruition. Why didn't they think of it earlier?

As for the AFL, I believe if we came up with a decent alternative, they would at least entertain the thought (lets agree to disagree on that, shall we?) Someone with a bit more expertise in this area might come up with the answer. I've thrown out a few ideas in a few earlier posts.

So if someone was, you'd be OK with it?

Talk to me if that ever happens. Would provide a meaningful motive and outcome. ...as opposed to current circumstances.

edit...spelling

Edited by beelzebub

It's not rubbish, daisycutter, it's our history. You can't with one voice say 'but our song says 'red and blue'!!' but at the same time say 'the Invincible Whites stuff is rubbish'.

Focusing on our clash jumper instead of winning is the true rubbish. It's also somewhat hilarious, given that's the kind of attitude that led us to hate Cameron Schwab.

my dear t_u at the time a newspaper columnist called us the invincible white all effing clubs wore white (actually more cream) cricket clobber and only distinguished themselves from each other by wearing coloured caps. the term didn't even really catch on

and in rate it was all before the VFL times

if someone hadn't dug it out of a history book recently 99% of posters here would never have heard of it

the fucshias was far more of our history than invincible whites and i don't think anyone wants to wear the fucshia colour permanently like we did for the cancer match

anyway navy red and dark blue are our colours and no [censored] white - got it?

and rpfc and his invincible whites is just another of his red herrings

Like DC :)

( we really need the old like button back !! )

Edited by beelzebub