Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday 11th November, 2013

MO FINE

I don't know if there is an official session on Monday but if so, I would be interested in how Max Gawn is travelling.

This will hopefully be Max's first full and uninterrupted pre season and given his past history of injuries, he will benefit enormously if that happens. The consequence of having so much time missing from the track was that he often didn't have enough in the tank to see out games at AFL level but in the more easy paced VFL, his potential as a ruckman who could do damage when going forward was there for all to see.

This preseason will be important for all of our players but none more so than Max. I've heard that he's already been working hard and I'd be keen to hear how he goes on Monday or whenever.

• Like 1

I assume that training is on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and that it continues on Monday (unless there's an armistice on Armistice Day).

Anyone know if it is on and what's the time and place?

Oh a wise guy eh! Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!

Maybe if the moderators find out future training details they could post a new, dated, thread in advance.

Thanks

I don't know if there is an official session on Monday but if so, I would be interested in how Max Gawn is travelling.

This will hopefully be Max's first full and uninterrupted pre season and given his past history of injuries, he will benefit enormously if that happens. The consequence of having so much time missing from the track was that he often didn't have enough in the tank to see out games at AFL level but in the more easy paced VFL, his potential as a ruckman who could do damage when going forward was there for all to see.

This preseason will be important for all of our players but none more so than Max. I've heard that he's already been working hard and I'd be keen to hear how he goes on Monday or whenever.

Very much agree with you WJ. I think a fully fit Max Gawn will represent one of our key areas of improvement this coming season. He is an enormous unit, and very athletic for such a big man. Since he has been at Melbourne he has never been fully fit (due to injury) and i think it is testament to the potential the club sees in him that he was played so often when available in the last couple of seasons. He has played some good games at AFL level, but some absolutely dominant games at Casey where his marking around the ground was outstanding and at that level unstoppable.

From what I have seen from the first two training sessions, he is well and truly up for a big preseason. Interestingly on Friday's rather foreshortened session, he left early, I think to run around the tan with a couple of others rather than do the flat out competitive run around the oval three times. Maybe they are managing his fitness training slightly differently to the others as both Spencer and Fitz were involved in the oval run.

Max is a potential A- grader for us, I have no doubt.

• Like 1

Got this from bigfooty:

Just finished watching training and chilling in Edwin's Café just down the road haha. Few notes I took from the session...

Training notes
Jackson here
Roos working with Gawn + Kent
Watts + Barry's first session (that I've seen)
Toumpas performing well in running drills - hopefully over hip complaints which forced him to start a little behind last season
Clark still struggling but give him time
Tom McDonald is killing it in the running drills!
Viney, Jamar, Tapscott, Hogan, Nicholson, Michie and Tyson in the rehab group.
Howe running laps
Gawn and Kent left session early
Considering he is coming back from a toe injury Evans is going well in running.
Byrnes running laps
McDonald, Spencer and Evans joined rehab following running drills. The rest of the group focused on ball handling
Frawley and Dunn had a stroll around the park, having a run before returning next week
Tyson is still feeling a pinch in his hamstring and grabs it from time to time
Main group focusing on reaction time with ball in hand, quick handballs and kicks to players in quick succession
Considering he is still learning the game, Westrupp went alright in the reaction drill
Jamar running laps, Tyson and Tappy also
Kicking was reasonable in windy conditions
Toumpas is using the ball extremely well so far during pre season.
The group came together at 11 to observe a minute's silence which was a very nice touch. Session then concluded.

Also, Roos is becoming more vocal and is very supportive of the boys. A lot better than Neeld as you would expect.

• Like 1

Went passed at about 10 and stayed for an hour until they finished.

Unsighted (by me): Gawn, Vince, Cross, Jones, Strauss, Blease, Kent, McKenzie, Dawes, Frawley, Dunn, Garland, Jetta, Bail

2 or 3 different rehab groups with players swapping in and out doing a variety of running and light skills. Hogan, Michie, Spencer, Evans, Viney, Nicholson in one but all looking pretty good. Jamar doing a little kick to kick then running a few laps. Byrnes doing a few sprints. Brett Allison took a drill with basic kick to kick 25m apart but before each kick the players would do a figure of 8 drill with short steps then move forward a step and kick the ball. Thought it was a very innovative drill to make basic kicking much more game like. Tommy McDonald took part in that drill. Poor Spencer is still all over the shop with basic kicking. Tapscott and Tyson looked the furthest back of the rehab group they just did laps and headed off. Tyson has a big frame though, he'll be a 90kg mid when he fills out. I think it's time Tapscott tells the fitness staff that his career is on the line and gets in to main training. Whatever is wrong with him this endless rehab group isn't helping his footy.

Back in the main group they did a few hand ball drills picking the ball off the deck and spreading it around. Looked very much like Roos is starting with the basics which makes sense. Then moved in to some relaxed kicking around a triangle then a square. It was pretty windy and the kicking looked decent considering that and the time of year. Just looked like a light drill to finish off. Watts' kicking stood out as did Mitch Clark's bounce and energy. Toumpas moved well in the handball drills.

Todd Viney came out at 11 and got a minute of silence going and after that it was pretty much done.

Michie and Viney (jnr) finished the session with a few more laps. Hogan did some 300m run throughs. All 3 looked to be moving well.

• Like 4

Don't tell me I put the mozz on him?

It is 11th November WJ lets not get too worked up yet.

Having said that I don't share a lot of the enthusiasm around MG.

Seems average to me but I would like to see him uninjured and a good pre season behind him before I make a declartion.

IMO like a niumber of others 2014 may be the start of something great or curtains.

Really excited about jimmy toumpas this year. I'm not comparing him as a player, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a chad wingard type of breakout season. The guy is too dedicated and focused not to succeed at this level.

I agree, some on here have smashed this kid, he is different from our top end draft failures of the past 10 years, he wants to work and wants to be the best football player he can be. He is not happy to be just an average AFL player. He needs to keep his body right through out pre-season, if he can do this we will see the real talent he is. Our forwards will be excited by Jimmy running through the middle delivering to the lace out.

• Like 1

I agree, some on here have smashed this kid, he is different from our top end draft failures of the past 10 years, he wants to work and wants to be the best football player he can be. He is not happy to be just an average AFL player. He needs to keep his body right through out pre-season, if he can do this we will see the real talent he is. Our forwards will be excited by Jimmy running through the middle delivering to the lace out.

The problem with young Toump last year was he put so much expectation on himself and the harder he tried the worst it got........went back to Casey, settled down and put some really good games together, looks really sharp at training

It is 11th November WJ lets not get too worked up yet.

Having said that I don't share a lot of the enthusiasm around MG.

Seems average to me but I would like to see him uninjured and a good pre season behind him before I make a declartion.

IMO like a niumber of others 2014 may be the start of something great or curtains.

Old Dee I agree but Max Gawn is 2 years behind in his development than where he should be due to the two knees, he does need as much of the pre season he can get.......it is a bloody enourmous hamstring to tweak unfortunately

Yes I have been immensely impressed by the level of improvement he has made from last season to this. Clearly he has put a lot of work in in the off season so he can improve rapidly after his hips became right. All power to him.

Having Jack Trengove, Jimmy Toumpas, Jack Watts, Dom Tyson, Jesse Hogan, Bernie Vince (and pick 9) All top ten picks, and all firing in or around our mid field next year is a mouth watering prospect, especially since none of them have really fired up for us in the past, and if they all go off at the same time, it would make a huge difference to our performance.

Edited by Dees2014

The problem with young Toump last year was he put so much expectation on himself and the harder he tried the worst it got........went back to Casey, settled down and put some really good games together, looks really sharp at training

Old Dee I agree but Max Gawn is 2 years behind in his development than where he should be due to the two knees, he does need as much of the pre season he can get.......it is a bloody enourmous hamstring to tweak unfortunately

Let's hope it is not as bad as it might have looked. Presumably the club will advise soon enough. No news is good news I suspect.

Went passed at about 10 and stayed for an hour until they finished.

I spoke to one of the players last year who is a good mate with Riv. He was critical of the training program last year with its focus on fitness. His comment was that they would start every session with their running requirements and by the end of it they were spent. Anyone who saw the running last year knows how demanding it was and I regularly saw players vomiting as a result.. He said by the time they got to the footy drills they were so tired they really couldn't practice their skills. He contrasted this with Geelong who do all their footy skills stuff first whilst they are fresh and then if they need to do extra running they do it at the end of the session. This comparison came from Riv who experienced Neeld in his first year only. The second year was supposed to be a step up.

For those that have been to training this year how is it organized? It may be that because of limited numbers they are not yet doing the footy drills first or it may be Roos is continuing to do the running first. But I thought it was an interesting observation and one that on the surface at least seemed to make sense.

FWIW Shannon Byrnes has said that Melbourne last year trained harder than he had at any time at Geelong. Our poor performance last year certainly didn't relate to a lack of effort in preseason.

• Like 1

I spoke to one of the players last year who is a good mate with Riv. He was critical of the training program last year with its focus on fitness. His comment was that they would start every session with their running requirements and by the end of it they were spent. Anyone who saw the running last year knows how demanding it was and I regularly saw players vomiting as a result.. He said by the time they got to the footy drills they were so tired they really couldn't practice their skills. He contrasted this with Geelong who do all their footy skills stuff first whilst they are fresh and then if they need to do extra running they do it at the end of the session. This comparison came from Riv who experienced Neeld in his first year only. The second year was supposed to be a step up.

For those that have been to training this year how is it organized? It may be that because of limited numbers they are not yet doing the footy drills first or it may be Roos is continuing to do the running first. But I thought it was an interesting observation and one that on the surface at least seemed to make sense.

FWIW Shannon Byrnes has said that Melbourne last year trained harder than he had at any time at Geelong. Our poor performance last year certainly didn't relate to a lack of effort in preseason.

Mind you, at some stage I'd like them to be making skill-based decisions when they're tired so as to simulate game day experience