Private School boys with Oakleigh Chargers/ Sandy Dragons TAC background

DeeSpencer

If we draft Christian Salem, it would mean that we would have three players from Brighton Gammar School. The other two are Jack Watts and Chris Dawes.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

So many cheap shots dished out in that article. Only for the end conclusion being that scholarships have increased some what, private schools are often using teachers supplementary skills in football and what might be the biggest change is that the good footballers of the 80's, with some correlation between footballing income increases are now sending their kids to private schools.

Pretty typical Jake Niall. Good thoughts, rubbish delivery. Strikes me as a bit of a petty chap who probably doesn't have many friends and might smell.

So, four BGS alumni in our 2014 list, 4 ex-Xavs at the successful Swans.

Last time I remember 4 ex-APS guys from the one school in the same team was the Hawks' initial premiership in 1961 - Winnikee, Law, Olsen and one other (possibly Hay though I stand to be corrected) were ex-Scotch.

Do you believe in omens???

Last time I remember 4 ex-APS guys from the one school in the same team was the Hawks' initial premiership in 1961 - Winnikee, Law, Olsen and one other (possibly Hay though I stand to be corrected) were ex-Scotch.

I'll take this one.

Sydney 2012 grand final team - Richards, Johnson, Hannebery and Kennedy all Xavier. Roos has simply shifted schools! Maybe he's planning on having some more kids and getting cheap school fees, not that he cant afford them now with the pay package he's on.

BGS is the softest ,weakest football school in that comp. Ever.

Xavier is usually the best as they have the most boys, a very blokey culture,country boarders etc.

I'm not keen on a Brighton lead revival -FFS-unless it's social climbing were are discussing.

BGS is the softest ,weakest football school in that comp. Ever.

Xavier is usually the best as they have the most boys, a very blokey culture,country boarders etc.

I'm not keen on a Brighton lead revival -FFS-unless it's social climbing were are discussing.

That might have some merit if we were drafting based on players who were developed for AFL football by their school teams but that's not the case. Junior clubs, TAC cup;and metro championships have played a more significant role in these boys development than whatever school jumper they put on.

Dawes missed most of his final year at school with a knee injury I believe. Watts wasn't even primarily a footballer at school regardless of what school he went to. You can't say he would've been tougher if he went to Xavier or any other school because he coasted by on extreme talent and physical gifts whilst playing basketball. Salem has been in the Vic Metro state squad since age 12.

Jayden Hunt is the one who's truly a product of his school team having missed out on TAC. And yes I'd have doubts as well about picking a guy on APS form and from BGS but the biggest vote of confidence is that his school coach wasn't just a random sports teacher but Robert Shaw.

With threads like this no wonder people label us a 'silver-tail' team. Incidentally, some of us had a state school education, and amazingly, we still manage perform the basic functions of a citizen. It's also great that we can fulfil the menial roles in society and provide factory fodder for the 'better calibre' of people who contribute to this site.

posts like this are hilarrious

people are so keen to be offended they actually manufacture the offensive content themselves and then get righteously indignant about it. Actually it's not funny it's pathetic and sad.

Was Strauss from Oakleigh / Scotch College too?

Now all we need for Roosey to do is get Nick Smith on board too, to make it a jolly good show for the chaps.

(Mind you Dean Chiron and Campbell Brown aren't exactly stereotypical ex-Scotch boys, are they?)

Yep. Strauss was captain of Scotch.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned yet (can't be bothered reading back through), but James Strauss was an Oakleigh Charger that went to Scotch.

Not that it necessarily means much.

Vide supra, Machsy

So whatever happened to the AGS, including Assumption & Marcellin, who betweemn them have produced dozens and dozens of A Graders? In my last year, I played against Neale Daniher, Simon O'Donnell and from memory Peter Schwab playing in the one Assumption team. Very strong school.

So whatever happened to the AGS, including Assumption & Marcellin, who betweemn them have produced dozens and dozens of A Graders? In my last year, I played against Neale Daniher, Simon O'Donnell and from memory Peter Schwab playing in the one Assumption team. Very strong school.

They stopped beating the Kids with sticks and whips.

BBO was er,,,,,,removed to Romsey parish and discipline went downhill.

Not actually true. Ray Carroll used to get kids from the Murray on scouting missions and pay their school fees out of his own pocket just so they could be in his football team. That is one of the reasons why Assumption had such a strong team. They also still take a number of boarders from that area still who can play football.