Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MELBOURNE TEAM FOR ROUND 1, 2014

felixdacat

Exactly he was moved into the midfield with Jack T because we had no body else

I would much prefer Grimes at the bank flank but his disposal must improve

He has been turnover King recently with poor kicking and poor vision and bad decisions

He will be a victim if he doesn't improve

I reckon in future he only has to land a 25m pass on the chest or handpass to a passing runner and all will be good. There WILL be a lot more ppl presenting options from now on.

FB: Garland Frawley Terlich

HB: Grimes McDonald Toumpas

C: Watts Tyson Vince

HF: Hogan Dawes Trengove

FF: Howe Clark Blease

Foll: Jamar N Jones Viney

Int: Michie M Jones Fitzpatrick

Sub: Dunn

Emg: Evans McKenzie Gawn

I'll stick fat with the big russian for now but I'd be showing him vids of his AA year and telling him if he can't find something near that form he'll be overtaken very soon. He needs to get back to competing for the ball after the tap, in 2010 he was a beast at the stoppages and was winning plenty of clearances himself. Needs to start taking marks around the ground again as well.

Terlich and Clisby are fighting for the same spot imo and I'll put Terlich marginally ahead right now but there's not much in it. Same goes for Blease, Kent and Byrnes in a fp. Blease has kicked 5 in a game and looks the most dangerous around goals. Kent is probably ahead in terms of output but imo Blease has the higher ceiling if Roos can iron out the flaws in his game.

Not keen to have Mitch as second ruck until he's got a few games under his belt and some confidence back in his body, hence Fitzy makes the bench. It makes us a bit top heavy but all of our talls except Dawes are pretty mobile.

If we sign Cross, M Jones comes out, Tyson goes to the bench and Cross starts in the centre.

FB: Terlich, Frawley, Garland

HB: Grimes, McDonald, Dunn

C: Toupas, Viney, Trengove

HF: Watts, Dawes, Tyson

FF: Hogan, Clark, Howe

Foll: Gawn, N Jones, Vince

Int: McKenzie, Blease, M Jones

Sub: Michie

I haven't included anyone not currently confirmed on the list - pick 9, Cross and other draft picks may well come in.

I think we need to have Dunn in the team at this stage, I'm in favor of the back 6 having 4 taller guys rather than 3 tall/3 re-bounders as most have suggested.

I'm also assuming Clark is up and going enough to give Gawn a chop out in the ruck.

Still think we are a tall back (as back up) and small forward short

Edited by Red and Blue realist

Enjoying reading some of the prospective best 22's here.

As for pick 40 for us, I'm crossing my fingers we pick Chris Cain up.

That would top off an unbelievable trade period, (on paper), but I believe it will bring about significant change.

I've posted this in other threads but Cain is a mature age VFL listed player who is very classy and in my eyes will be the 'pick' of the mature age recruits. For varying reasons, he was never able to get on a list but as we've all seen, some mature aged players just need that chance and change. Similar build to Magner but not in ability. Cain is a natural footballer with elite skills and hands in close. Classy mid and a smart footy brain. The bonus is that he has a hardened body and I've known since playing with him through the ranks that he'd be able to make the cut at AFL level. Similar footy smarts to someone like Mitchell.

If we get him, (and Cross), this is the following injection of mids we'd have to choose from:

Michie

Vince

Howe

Viney

Trengove

Watts

Cross

Tyson

Cain

Toumpas

Pick 9

Kent

That's an unbelievable upgrade of talent on our list and there's still a great balance of contested ball winners. Huge depth change having brought in those players and all of which have fantastic skills and footy brains, (with the exception of Cross maybe)

That leaves McKenzie, Bail, Matt Jones, Jetta, Blease, Strauss, Nicho, Tapscott, Taggert really battling hard to get a game and will only be a positive for the development of these players. It means we'll have to have these types playing at the top of their game for Casey and doing it consistently before being given a game. I'm sure you can swap some of the names listed here for the ones above but I've chosen the ones above because of their ability as well rounded players as apposed to the ones listed in this paragraph. Unlike last year, we've actually added talent and ability to our midfield as well as creating fantastic depth.

I want Cain. I want Cross. I'll be buying all demondlanders a beer if it happens.

Michie

Vince

Howe

Viney

Trengove

Watts

Cross

Tyson

Cain

Toumpas

Lennon

Kent

I would also add Hogan as a long leading into the mid field CHF as an added bonus.

Wow. Even nicer. Either way, it is a huge advance.

Edited by Dees2014

I think it was RPFC who showed his team line up in this structure a while ago and I think its easier instead of placing them on the historical field view to stop arguing over who is a back flank, whos a forward flank and who is on the wing.

Backs: Frawley, Garland, McDonald on the talls with Terlich the lock down small defender.

Forwards: Hogan, Dawes, Clark, Howe

Mids: Grimes ©, Jones, Viney, Toump, Vince, Watts, Tyson, Kent.

Rucks: Jamar (watch him wind back the clock now Neeld has gone). Happy for Gawn to take over when he can run out a full game. Clark can swap with the Russian for the occasional chop out.

Grimes to be on the defensive side for the mids with Kent on the attacking.

This team lists 17 of the only definite's I would play at this stage. I don't know enough about Michie to include him other than the 5 mins of highlights on youtube.

Cross is a definite if we get him as well as Pick 9.

The remaining 3 players can earn it and I don't care who it is, as long as they are playing good enough footy to deserve it.

Big year for Tappy, Strauss, Taggert and Blease. If they don't show anything this year it's adios.

Jordie, Byrnes, Evans, M Jones, Fitz and the Snake are really there for depth players. Shouldn't be getting a game in a full strength team. Not sold at all on Barry yet (mainly due to being burnt so many times over the last few years by players I over rate) but as long as he keeps improving at Casey I will be happy.

All over for Nicho, Dunn, Bail & Jetta. If we spliced there DNA and removed the ordinary parts we could have a star but instead we have 4 NQR's who would not be on any other list but ours.

my thinking was to set about getting the spine looking solid hence my:

Garland Frawley Jones Clark Hogan. everything sorta hangs off of this..

Reality is there's probably 10-12 permutations that depending on the day ( and match-ups ) will all look pretty good , and hopefully work even better :)

Really? Spencer as emergency when you already have Dawes, Clark, Hogan, Gawn, and Fitzy in the same 22? Better hope it doesn't rain...

Spencer as depth .

You can expect to lose some talls throughout the year.

Jamar and Spencer are depth talls to me .

Max and Fitzy are the rucks.

Yes the forward line is Big.

I named Spencer as emergency to acknowledge that he is probably next in the team.

I would carry all those talls in the rain at this stage because there simply aren't any crumbing player worthy of selection.

i think everyone has the same basic template for a team.

Except i think that:

Our Fringe players are:

Viv Michie

Jimmy Toumpas (at the moment)

MItch Clisby

Matt Jones

Dean Terlich

Jake Spencer

Max Gawn

Dean Kent

Michael Evans

But i think This year we could see some stars in the making with players like Trengove, Toumpas, Clisby, Evans, Tyson blossoming into real guns.

Viney, Jones and Vince are already Pretty good, along with our whole forward line.

Amazing how few of you have Matt Jones outside the best 22. Top 5 B & F in his first year of AFL, playing for an excremental mess of a team. We have not seen the best of this guy, and with his work ethic and durability, and with structure and belief around him, he's in for a huge 2014.

• Like 1

Amazing how few of you have Matt Jones outside the best 22. Top 5 B & F in his first year of AFL, playing for an excremental mess of a team. We have not seen the best of this guy, and with his work ethic and durability, and with structure and belief around him, he's in for a huge 2014.

When we talk about our midfield being deplorable, certain names have to make way for the new blood, and he's one of them.

Full credit to him for what he achieved in his first year of AFL, but I think the fact he came 4th in the B&F is more a reflection on the year we had. Given his age, I'm not sure he has many more gears to go to. Next year he may well queeze into the side but I can't see him lasting much beyond that tbh. Not if we want become a genuinely good side.

• Like 2

When we talk about our midfield being deplorable, certain names have to make way for the new blood, and he's one of them. Full credit to him for what he achieved in his first year of AFL, but I think the fact he came 4th in the B&F is more a reflection on the year we had. Given his age, I'm not sure he has many more gears to go to. Next year he may well queeze into the side but I can't see him lasting much beyond that tbh. Not if we want become a genuinely good side.

Considering he wasn't even a VFL player until mid 2012, to then say that after one season (where he outperformed all but Nate Jones in the midfield) he has reached his ceiling is just laughably presumptuous. To be basing his relegation to the fringe I guess is a product of the rosy hue that comes with the enthusiasm for last week's recruits, odd considering that Tyson, Michie and pick 9 are unproven. The reality is from a base of nothing, and against all the odds, Matt Jones became one of our best players. To forecast his demise based on new recruit romance is fantasy.

Considering he wasn't even a VFL player until mid 2012, to then say that after one season (where he outperformed all but Nate Jones in the midfield) he has reached his ceiling is just laughably presumptuous. To be basing his relegation to the fringe I guess is a product of the rosy hue that comes with the enthusiasm for last week's recruits, odd considering that Tyson, Michie and pick 9 are unproven. The reality is from a base of nothing, and against all the odds, Matt Jones became one of our best players. To forecast his demise based on new recruit romance is fantasy.

That's all fair enough, but we're talking about a midfield that is pure and utter shizen. To say he was arguably the second best, in the broader picture, isn't saying alot.

I don't want to be overly critical of him because I have nothing but admiration for what he did in his first year, and I'll be happy to be mistaken if he becomes a longer term best 22, but realistically he's a slow decision maker with pretty average skills. If he improves again next year, great, but at the level he's at right now, the likes of Tyson, Toumpas, Pick 9 and Michie should be going past him pretty quickly.

• Like 2

That's all fair enough, but we're talking about a midfield that is pure and utter shizen. To say he was arguably the second best, in the broader picture, isn't saying alot. I don't want to be overly critical of him because I have nothing but admiration for what he did in his first year, and I'll be happy to be mistaken if he becomes a longer term best 22, but realistically he's a slow decision maker with pretty average skills. If he improves again next year, great, but at the level he's at right now, the likes of Tyson, Toumpas, Pick 9 and Michie should be going past him pretty quickly.

'Should' be going past him based on presumed potential frankly less reliable than the form he showed this year. He was far from slow in decision making, and his skills were in the top handful of this years's list. There's a big difference between slow decision making and having limited options, and MFC were this year nothing if not a team of limited options!

'Should' be going past him based on presumed potential frankly less reliable than the form he showed this year. He was far from slow in decision making, and his skills were in the top handful of this years's list. There's a big difference between slow decision making and having limited options, and MFC were this year nothing if not a team of limited options!

Okay, you rate him higher than I do, clearly. No biggy. I hope he continues to improve.

B: Dunn Frawley Garland

HB: Strauss McDonald Grimes

C: Watts Tyson Vince

HF Toumpas Dawes Trengove

FF Clark Hogan Howe

Fol: Gawn Jones Viney

Int: Michie, Cross, McKenzie Sub Blease

I Just can't see Terlich or Matt Jones keeping their places, which I know defies the logic of the B&F, but I don't think Roos rates Terlich, heard him say he plays too loose. Saying that, I like his thirst for the contest so whlo knows. Pick 9 I haven't included because who knows who it will be? I would like to think that Roos could get something out of Strauss & Blease (probably wishful thinking).

I've got to say, I thought when Sylvia left the sky was falling, and I raised eyebrows at the trade with GWS (mainly because of the Pick 20 being included). Now I look at the team, and on paper, we are STREET ahead of this time last year. We actually have a midfield. Who would have thought. As well, Dunn worries me in the backline, he may be the one who swaps with Terlich...but I guess the focus from me is that the midfield actually looks like a capable unit. I am also assuming Michie was traded for to play Seniors, not to be at Casey. I guess we'll wait and see.

• Like 1

FB: Terlich Frawley Dunn

HB: Grimes McDonald Garland

C: Watts Jones Vince

HF: Howe Dawes Trengove

FF: Kent Clarke Hogan

Foll: Jamar/ Spencer Viney Tyson

Bench: Mckenzie, Cross, Blease

S: Michie

With the incoming players from the draft this give us more depth in the midfield: grimes, vince, howe, kent, viney, tyson, mckenzie, cross, blease

Depth players: pick 9, M. Jones, byrnes, Luke Tapscott, Mitch Clisby, evans, fitzpatrick, pederson.

B: Clisby - Frawley - Garland

HB: Grimes - McDonald - Terlich

C: Trengove - N Jones - Vince

HF: Hogan - Dawes - Howe

F: Fitzpatrick - Clark - Byrnes

Foll: Gawn - Cross - Viney

I/C: Michie - Tyson - Watts

Sub: Toumpas

Emerg: Dunn - Jamar - M Jones

Further depth:

McKenzie

Blease

Strauss

Magner

Evans

Kent

Kids:

Barry

Stark

PSD #2

Various Rookie draft picks

Not up to it (?):

Pedersen

Nicholson

Tapscott

Jetta

Spencer

Bail

i'm not as sold on jamar being 'finished' as others. i'm hopeful that he can still contribute when required. he's a lumbering dinosaur, but they have their time.

some would say i'm being harsh on some of those i see as not being up to it, but on the evidence thus far for me they're just not good enough to be afl level players.

edit: just looking at my proposed side, we are crying out for a class distributor from half-back. hopefully toumpas can become that player.

Edited by DemonAndrew
  • Like 2