Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MELBOURNE TEAM FOR ROUND 1, 2014

felixdacat

There are still a few important moments to play out pre-draft and FA period, but this is on the proviso that we aren't given the #1 PP, in which case I'd be taking Boyd and slotting him in the forward pocket. We could play Dawes, Hogan, Clark and Boyd in the one team. Just shut up, we could.

MELBOURNE
B: Frawley Garland ***Strauss
HB: Grimes McDonald Toumpas
C: Trengove Jones Watts
HF: Sylvia Dawes *FA mid
F: Hogan Clark Kent
R: Gawn *FA mid Viney
I/C: Fitzpatrick **Draft mid Howe McKenzie
Emergencies: M Jones Spencer Evans

* Experienced free agent midfielder
** Our top drafted midfielder
*** On the proviso that he gets a full pre season
So we'd need to acquire two free agent mids and then we'd debut our highest drafted midfielder from this year's pool. A few of the above would have to work on their endurance and decision making, but I'd be happy with this side. Depending on those free agents, I think if coached well, it could be a competitive unit next year. We should be hoping for anything between 5 and 7 wins. This would probably see us out of the bottom four. That's a start.
This team would also have at least ten players that could rotate through the midfield. They are: Grimes, Toumpas, Trengove, Jones, Sylvia, Viney, McKenzie, two FA mids and one top end draftee. Toumpas may not venture inside the centre square next year, but I would hope eventually he might. The same would be said for the player we draft with our first midfield pick. I'd want McKenzie, Sylvia and Grimes in there for as little as possible, while I think Trengove, like Watts and Toumpas, is probably more suited to a wing, but that may change too.
Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

B Garland Frawley x

HB x McDonald Grimes

C Mckenzie Viney Trengove

HF x Dawes Watts

F Hogan Clark x

Fol Gawn Sylvia N Jones

Int (from) Dunn, Kent, Terlich, M Jones, Evans, Toumpas, Howe, Jetta, Blease, Magner, Fitzpatrick.

FILL THOSE X'S (Or fall back on some of the interchange (from) players)

Add 2-3 more midfielders and you get competition for spots. Another medium defender, another small forward perhaps. Perfect. With Dawes, Clark, Hogan and Watts all in the forward line, no room for 2 ruckman or Fitzpatrick. JUST went with Gawn. Clark will be back up.

Thoughts?

B: McDonald - Frawley - Terlich

BH: Grimes - Garland - Clisby
C: Viney - XXX - XXX
HF: Trengrove - Kent - Clark
F: Watts - Dawes - Hogan
FOL: Gawn - XXX - Jones
INT: Fitzpatrick - Howe - Toumpas - Evans

EMG: Jamar - Strauss - Byrnes

Haven't included Dunn, Silvia, and Watts can be replaced if he decides to go.

B: McDonald - Frawley - Terlich

HB: Grimes - Garland - Clisby

C: Viney - Cross** - Blease

HF: Trengove - Clarke - Dawes

F: Watts - Hogan - Howe

FOL: Gawn - Jones - FA Mid**

INT: Dunn - M.Jones - Sylvia - Toumpas

EMG: Jamar - Aish** - Evans

MELBOURNE

B: Frawley Garland Terlich/Clisby
C: Blease N. Jones Kent
HF: Howe Fitzpatrick Watts
F: Hogan Clark Trade (Crumber)
R: Gawn Trade (quality mid) Viney
I/C: M. Jones **Draft (mid - pick 2) Trengove Sub Sylvia
Emergencies: Spencer Evans Terlich/Clisby
Terlich must improve decision making
Clisby must improve strength
Blease must improve work rate so he can run both ways
Howe must get 20 touches a game
Fitzpatrick and Watts to play high and always give defenders an option
Fitzpatrick to give Gawn a chop out in the ruck and share i50 ruck work with Clark
Clark to lead to the 50, Hogan to drop into the square, he will outmark most 3rd tall defenders
We need to trade for an A grade first possession mid
We desperately need a ready made crumbing forward
We should win 6-8 games next year
Edited by deefan12
  • Like 1

Doubt very much we will get Boyd or even pick him if we can. We need midfielders

If we get PP1 then there is no doubt that we should draft Boyd [rather than see him line up with GWS or St. Kilda]. We will still have pick 3 and 20 to trade and gun midfielders may even actively assist in the process knowing they will be coached by Roos (with Ling as the midfield coach) and have Hogan and Boyd inside 50 to deliver to!

After today, i think it's time we dare to dream again..

what i consider a realistic MFC round 1 side

MELBOURNE

B: Colin Garland James Frawley Zac Jones
HB: Jack Grimes Tom Mcdonald Jimmy Toumpas
C: Jack Viney Nathan Jones Jack Trengove
HF: Jack Watts Jesse Hogan Colin Sylvia
F: Jeremy Howe Chris Dawes Mitch Clark
R: Jake Spencer Scott Selwood Taylor Adams
I/C: Sam Blease Dean Kent Matt Jones Dean Terlich

MELBOURNE

B: Clisby Frawley Garland

HB: Grimes McDonald Strauss

C: Watts Jones Toumpas

HF: Sylvia Dawes Kent

F: Clark Hogan Howe

R: Gawn Trengrove Viney

I/C: Fitzy, Tapscott, Taggert, Evans

I think that's the list that we should play because it has the most potential going forward.

Taggert, Toumpas and Kent get a spot for development more than form.

Barry and Blease have ???? over their heads.

Kent has overtaken Blease.

Hope we get some good mids to come in!

After today, i think it's time we dare to dream again..

what i consider a realistic MFC round 1 side

MELBOURNE

B: Colin Garland James Frawley Zac Jones
R: Jake Spencer Scott Selwood Taylor Adams
I/C: Sam Blease Dean Kent Matt Jones Dean Terlich

Solid Team selection D26.

Not sure about Zac Jones for round 1 (or if we will even draft him). I liked the look of Clisby this year, perhaps he could take that spot?

As for Selwood and Adams i would be happy with either of those players, cant see us getting both though. Fingers crossed i guess.

Also hopefully Gawn, Jamar and Spencer really battle it out for that ruck spot. competition can only improve our team.

Edited by Dan Fantastik

There are still a few important moments to play out pre-draft and FA period, but this is on the proviso that we aren't given the #1 PP, in which case I'd be taking Boyd and slotting him in the forward pocket. We could play Dawes, Hogan, Clark and Boyd in the one team. Just shut up, we could.

MELBOURNE

B: Frawley Garland ***Strauss
C: Trengove Jones Watts
HF: Sylvia Dawes *FA mid
F: Hogan Clark Kent
R: Gawn *FA mid Viney
I/C: Fitzpatrick **Draft mid Howe McKenzie
Emergencies: M Jones Spencer Evans

* Experienced free agent midfielder

** Our top drafted midfielder
*** On the proviso that he gets a full pre season
So we'd need to acquire two free agent mids and then we'd debut our highest drafted midfielder from this year's pool. A few of the above would have to work on their endurance and decision making, but I'd be happy with this side. Depending on those free agents, I think if coached well, it could be a competitive unit next year. We should be hoping for anything between 5 and 7 wins. This would probably see us out of the bottom four. That's a start.
This team would also have at least ten players that could rotate through the midfield. They are: Grimes, Toumpas, Trengove, Jones, Sylvia, Viney, McKenzie, two FA mids and one top end draftee. Toumpas may not venture inside the centre square next year, but I would hope eventually he might. The same would be said for the player we draft with our first midfield pick. I'd want McKenzie, Sylvia and Grimes in there for as little as possible, while I think Trengove, like Watts and Toumpas, is probably more suited to a wing, but that may change too.

I like the concept of your team 'AF'. We might be able to trade* for another experienced midfielder (preferably aged 22-24). How that can be done is the tricky bit, but if we can trade for one and as you suggested, pick up 2 free agents, that could give us 3 new experienced midfielders.

Couple that with our 1st round draft pick and a possible PP, we could therefore, in theory, bring in 5 new midfielders who can all play. Improvement would be expected from Viney and Toumpas so things can turn around very quickly with the right moves. It changes the dynamics and the make-up of the side quite dramatically. It's what we need. Instead of Jones carrying the can, suddenly we'd have real depth in the midfield - in one off season.

* We might have to give up some picks or trade 1 or 2 of our listed players for that experienced midfielder.

Edited by Macca

its interesting that people think that our currently listed players are basically good enough under the right coach.

its interesting that people think that our currently listed players are basically good enough under the right coach.

People who were spuds at Sydney became truffles, I love a good story about redemption and he made it clear he thought players were coachable, he was already delivering a message that he believes they can do it and it sounded so genuine. It would have been easy to say I need to do a rebuild blah blah and I need to sack a couple I think the only persons he ever spat the dummy with were Davies and Hall. But to my point, if you are a MFC player you have an asterix next to your name after being a member of the crew that has turned in 56% - the chance to get rid of that asterix - redemption - that Roos is selling is pretty bloody powerful, will work wonders, am betting on it.

edit forgot to put my team in, i think Brisbane is dying for some KP players and Voss has made some good midfielders, they have some spare, and the other is Freo they still need fwds I wouldn't mind a Ross Lyon coached defender - :

B: Colin Garland James Frawley (Paul Duffield)
R: Max Gawn (Tom Rockliff (wish Jack Redden)) (Dale Thomas (if he is medically worth it big bickies for him.))
Inter: Dean Kent Matt Jones Jake Spencer
Edited by ingenirooskinetic

• 2 weeks later...

with priority pick

B: Clisby TMAC Frawley

HB: Toumpas Garland Grimes

C: Evans Martin Trengove

HF: Sylvia Dawes Watts

F: Hogan Clark Howe

Foll: Gawn Adams Jones

Bench: Cross Viney Terlich

Sub Kent

If we were to get PP, i would be happy to trade both picks and get Adams and D Martin. Would also be very nice to get Cross. Would basically have a nice midfield then.

Without Priority pick

B: Clisby Tmac Frawley

M: Evans Martin Trengove

Foll: Gawn Viney Jones

Bench: Kent Cross Terlich

Sub: Matt Jones

No taylor Adams in there, still trade pick 2 for Dusty.

Would still be happy with this team, good building blocks

with priority pick

B: Clisby TMAC Frawley

C: Evans Martin Trengove

Foll: Gawn Adams Jones

Bench: Cross Viney Terlich

Sub Kent

I would love to see that team, however unlikely it may be.

I'd be pretty happy with

Garland Frawley Clisby

Grimes Mcdonald toumpas

thomas Martin Sloane

Sylvia Dawes Watts

howe Hogan clark

jolly viney cross

adams trengove blease jent

how is it possible that we get Sloane, Martin, Thomas and Adams.

Not enough draft picks for Martin, Thomas and Adams and not enough salary cap room

• Like 1

how is it possible that we get Sloane, Martin, Thomas and Adams.

Not enough draft picks for Martin, Thomas and Adams and not enough salary cap room

Thomas is a free agent

Martin chooses us and walks to the pre season draft

pick 2 to GWS for Adams and pick 10

the lure of coming home convinces Sloane to declare an interest in being traded for us, we have Pick 10 and they need top 10 picks

it's a big ask but the thread title said best possible.

Thomas is a free agent

Martin chooses us and walks to the pre season draft

pick 2 to GWS for Adams and pick 10

the lure of coming home convinces Sloane to declare an interest in being traded for us, we have Pick 10 and they need top 10 picks

it's a big ask but the thread title said best possible.

yeahh true, but how could we afford all those lads?

I'd love it though haha

I think these threads should be done in December after the drafts, trades and free agent periods.

so dont post

If we don't do any trades and don't pick up any free agents

Back: Tom McDonald, James Frawley, Lynden Dunn

Halfback: Dean Terlich, Colin Garland, Jack Grimes

Centre: Matt Jones, Jack Trengove, Jimmy Toumpas

Half Forwards: Jeremy Howe, Mitch Clark, Jack Watts

Forwards: Jack Fitzpatron'ick, Jesse Hogan, Rory Taggert

Followers: Mark Jamar, Colin Sylvia, Nathan Jones

I/C: Max Gawn, Jack Viney, Chris Dawes

Sub: Michael Evans

If we do trades and pick up players who are free agents (if we get PP pick 1)

Halfbacks: Dean Terlich, Colin Garland, Jack Grimes

Centre: David Swallow, Jack Trengove, Andrew Gaff

Forwards: Jack Fitzpatrick, Jesse Hogan, Mark LeCras

Followers: Mark Jamar, Dustin Martin, Nathan Jones

Bench: Colin Sylvia, Chris Dawes, Jack Viney

Sub: Jimmy Toumpas

Trade pick 1 for Andrew Gaff and Mark LeCras

Trade pick 3 for David Swallow and pick 19

Trade pick 19 and Jake Spencer, for Dustin Martin, Ivan Maric said the Tigers are looking for another young ruckman

Give Dusty a juicy 700 k 4 year contract.

Opinions would be appreciated :)

Edited by thedeeman

If we don't do any trades and don't pick up any free agents

Halfback: Dean Terlich, Colin Garland, Jack Grimes

Centre: Matt Jones, Jack Trengove, Jimmy Toumpas

Forwards: Jack Fitzpatron'ick, Jesse Hogan, Rory Taggert

Followers: Mark Jamar, Colin Sylvia, Nathan Jones

I/C: Max Gawn, Jack Viney, Chris Dawes

Sub: Michael Evans

If we do trades and pick up players who are free agents (if we get PP pick 1)

Halfbacks: Dean Terlich, Colin Garland, Jack Grimes

Centre: David Swallow, Jack Trengove, Andrew Gaff

Forwards: Jack Fitzpatrick, Jesse Hogan, Mark LeCras

Followers: Mark Jamar, Dustin Martin, Nathan Jones

Bench: Colin Sylvia, Chris Dawes, Jack Viney

Sub: Jimmy Toumpas

Trade pick 1 for Andrew Gaff and Mark LeCras

Trade pick 3 for David Swallow and pick 19

Trade pick 19 and Jake Spencer, for Dustin Martin, Ivan Maric said the Tigers are looking for another young ruckman

Give Dusty a juicy 700 k 4 year contract.

Opinions would be appreciated :)

Don't think any of those trades are realistic, sorry buddy.