• Podcast:      

• Podcast:      

Jack Watts - More Discussion (for those who haven't had enough)

dees189227

You'd rate his worth a lot higher than me or opposition clubs. I accept I'm not balanced when it comes to Watts. As a footballer he's worth more than a packet of stale Twisties to me. He just doesn't impact games. I also accept that supporters value him on "upside" and can't get past his lovely skills.

Where do you think Hannebery, Sloane, Shuey, Steve Motlop, Christiansen, Fyfe and countless others were taken in the draft ?

I don't know what the prima donna is worth, but I do know there's value in the draft if you can identify it. Getting Taylor Adams for Watts would be a huge win for me. But I don't think he's worth Adams.

I think a lot of opposition clubs would back themselves to get a lot more out if Watts than we have.

I think he has been terribly mismanaged and they know that.

Granted, all of those players have come from later in the draft, but they are the exception to the rule.

Personally, I think he has a bit of maturing still to do, and will be a much better player for it.

Hell, these days he'll kick a lazy couple of goals and still have a poor game.

It's way too early to give up on a 23 year old.

• Like 2

Sometimes I wonder if D'landers watch other teams play.

Jack Watts is a slightly above average player in the AFL. We would be paying him more than he is worth, on output. We would get good value if we traded him now. It's an easy decision to trade him for mine. More salary cap room, more mids.

• Like 1

I will state that I have been a JW fan.......But his attitude on the Footy show made me angry.....This club does not exist for Jack Watt's benefit....

The whole "If the club starts winning games I will consider playing for them" bulltish makes me mad

A foolish decision to let him be on the Footy show.(I think his manager has a lot to do with it)

• Like 2

You mean you're not smart enough to realise those comments were an aside and not directed at the topic ?

I shouldn't be surprised.

It was getting a little sidetracked but you pick out the meaningless segue if you want. We will have a conversation around you.

I just heard it on SEN before, I loved Derms response and a few of the other blokes. I hope the club grills him for it. He is in no situation to hold the club at ransom, the club is bigger and greater than him. If he chooses to play these games I hope the club tell him to pi$$ off and start getting the best possible deal for the MFC.

EDIT: typo

Edited by ignition.

I just heard it on SEN before, I loved Derms response and a few of the other blokes. I hope the club grills him for it. He is in no situation to hold the club at random, the club is bigger and greater than him. If he chooses to play these games I hope the club tell him to [censored] off and start getting the best possible deal for the MFC.

I hope it's the players who do that. Compare those comments to those of Jack Viney. Hopefully a few players point out that if he wants a leader to take us there, he should be that leader. Edited by deanox

I just heard it on SEN before, I loved Derms response and a few of the other blokes. I hope the club grills him for it. He is in no situation to hold the club at random, the club is bigger and greater than him. If he chooses to play these games I hope the club tell him to [censored] off and start getting the best possible deal for the MFC.

what were those responses ?

cheers

I said a couple of weeks ago not to play him.

I haven't seen a lot of Taylor Adams. From what I have see he is strong clever and hard at it. He is only 179cm. Jack Viney is 178cm, Nathan Jones 180, Luke Tapscott 180, Dean Kent 179, Pickles Evans 180. I fear that we are already loaded up with hard at it types who are under 6 feet tall. He is definitely strong but I would like to trade for or draft some strong but taller mids.

What I have done has gone through each team and picked their premier mid or mids from the present or recent past (in the case of Hayes and Judd)

Dane Swan may look like a fat waddling duck but he is 185. Pendles is 191. Jimmy Bartel, 187. Jobe Watson 191. Dusty Martin 187. Paddy Dangerfield 185. Trent Cotchin 185.

Travis Boak 183. Chris Judd 189. Lenny Hayes 186. Matt Priddis 185. Ryan Griffin 188. Callan Ward 185. Michael Barlow 189. Andrew Swallow 182.

Even "little Gazza" is 182.

Sam Mitchell is only 179 but is surrounded by bigger and taller mids.

Marc Murphy is only 180 but you could also argue that Carlton's midfield have not been very effective this year.

I haven't seen a lot of Taylor Adams. From what I have see he is strong clever and hard at it. He is only 179cm. Jack Viney is 178cm, Nathan Jones 180, Luke Tapscott 180, Dean Kent 179, Pickles Evans 180. I fear that we are already loaded up with hard at it types who are under 6 feet tall. He is definitely strong but I would like to trade for or draft some strong but taller mids.

What I have done has gone through each team and picked their premier mid or mids from the present or recent past (in the case of Hayes and Judd)

Dane Swan may look like a fat waddling duck but he is 185. Pendles is 191. Jimmy Bartel, 187. Jobe Watson 191. Dusty Martin 187. Paddy Dangerfield 185. Trent Cotchin 185.

Travis Boak 183. Chris Judd 189. Lenny Hayes 186. Matt Priddis 185. Ryan Griffin 188. Callan Ward 185. Michael Barlow 189. Andrew Swallow 182.

Even "little Gazza" is 182.

Sam Mitchell is only 179 but is surrounded by bigger and taller mids.

Marc Murphy is only 180 but you could also argue that Carlton's midfield have not been very effective this year.

what you say has merit with respect to building an ideal midfield.

In our situation though, hard at it, quality midfielders who are of true B+ grade and above are required, no matter how tall. If we can get a solid functional midfield, and can then worry about slotting a star in. Unless we are going to trade a player and two first round picks we won't get a star.

I don't think we should be as focused on star factor as we are with guaranteed quality this year. And of that means trading the potential for the sure thing, I support that if the risks are weighed up.

what were those responses ?

cheers

Dermie and Robbo were filthy on him, even Huddo and Wallsy said it was very poor.

Dermie said if he was on the board or football department and heard that, the first words he would say was lets put him on the market and see what we can get.

I can't really remember the exact words but they were really dirsty on him.

• Like 1

99% of facts presented on Demonland are not in fact, facts. Fact.

And what percentage are dumb arse posts that don't actually advance the discussion/debate at all.

I have spoken to three opposition coaches and they've all stated that Sylvia is the one MFC player they respect/fear.

In 'fact', listen to the Nathan Jones interview on the official website to see who's been getting the tag in recent weeks.

But only do so if you actually like hearing the facts.

Dermie and Robbo were filthy on him, even Huddo and Wallsy said it was very poor.

Dermie said if he was on the board or football department and heard that, the first words he would say was lets put him on the market and see what we can get.

I can't really remember the exact words but they were really dirsty on him.

Are they flogs too like those of us here who have been disappointed with the comments he reportedly made on the show.

I really like Watts and have relied on him becoming a champion..... It pains me to think he is gone.... But after the footy show, i think the Jack Watts dream is over... Just like the Jurrah dream and the Scully dream....

In a funny kind of way... Maybe losing Jack is what we need.....

No more Heroes!

Heroes aren't gonna save us.... The team... The club... The supporters as a whole... That's what will save this club...

Are they flogs too like those of us here who have been disappointed with the comments he reportedly made on the show.

I haven't seen the interview with Watts. So I won't comment our than to say what I said above which was not an opinion, just what I heard.

So no idea why you thinki have thought people commenting on this are flogs?

Whats he meant to do there? Hill is extremely agile and Watts also had 2 players cut in front of him

this is precisely why we suck. A culture that excuses this type of thing. What in the name of god does your opponents agility have to do with your own ability to actually move your legs? Do you have any response to the second bit of footage, I guess not huh

Edited by Curry & Beer

I'm not a fan of Watts and it's fine to say that he isn't putting in the work, we should trade him etc.

But I think we should refrain from downright insulting our players, not sure there is anything to be gained from this thread

• Like 4

Whats he meant to do there? Hill is extremely agile and Watts also had 2 players cut in front of him

What crap.

Watch how hard Spencer is running after two opponents, both far far quicker than him, and how Matt Jones chases after Hill despite it being a futile exercise at that point, while Watts stands and watches.

I saw Viney quite seriously frog jump into and over a pack to get the ball. I'm not expecting Watts to break his nose every week, but I expect basic effort, especially down the back when his laziness is directly costing us goals!

And yes, Hill is a great player and super quick. Guess what, Watts is quick too and could be a great player if it wasn't for his application and attitude.

Some of his lazy kicks yesterday screamed "I don't want to be here".

It's infurating when guys like Magner, who have 4% of his talent, work their arse off in the VFL, get 51 disposals, and don't get senior games because they don't have the potential of Watts. But realistically, rewarding Watts on potential, and his draft ranking has only hurt him and us.

He is cheating himself and his teammates. If I was Tom McDonland or Colin Garland I'd have lost my sh*t at him.

Edited by Jaded