Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Bomber got that pretty much correct on this occasion I would have thought.

After all it was just hyperthetical nonsense coming from the market leader in fantasy hyperbole, fat Robbo.

It amazes me that Brad Sewell hasnt punched him sometimes given the nonsense he speaks.

I thought the Dons would be clean enough but todays reports make me think that if they arent in deep trouble then its because they are a protected species.

Bomber would appear to be derelict in his oversight duties at the very least

Lost his cool a bit too readily there, Bomber.

You dont think it was an offensive question that added absolutely NOTHING to the issue.

Typical Robbo crepe...it was a miracle he didnt intone "I believe in sport as in life blah blah blah" before he started..

The man is almost as useless and unpleasant as Denham and Wilson. Anyone who can make me feel sympathy fro Bomber is a reeeaallyy negative influence on the game

Bombers will come out of this without any issues, not because they are not guilty, but because the AFL would not like this to be the case. Given Danks past history you would have to expect what he used at other clubs would be what he used at Essendon, thats his formula. plus players having 40 injections of supplements over the year...

The question is what were the coaches and doctors doing while all of this was going on, surely someone must have/ should have been asking questions on this.

It is very hard to defend the indefensible.

If Bomber does not get the chop then I don't know what you have to do to get chopped.

He bought The two " wonder Boys" with all there tricks into the club.

It then appears he and a number of others had no control over them and did bugger all checking to see what they were doing.

The result was the Big Feb press conference where the club admitted they did not know what had taken place.

I agree with PS and CS

The fact they did not know what was going on and the fact they could have put their club at risk for its very existance

Is reason enough for them to go and Bomber is close to the head of that group.

• Like 1

Bombers will come out of this without any issues, not because they are not guilty, but because the AFL would not like this to be the case. Given Danks past history you would have to expect what he used at other clubs would be what he used at Essendon, thats his formula. plus players having 40 injections of supplements over the year...

The question is what were the coaches and doctors doing while all of this was going on, surely someone must have/ should have been asking questions on this.

Spot on Deecisive If they come up with no case to answer.

The fact is on their watch they could have ended the Essendon FC.

Reason enough for them to find employment elsewhere

You dont think it was an offensive question that added absolutely NOTHING to the issue.

Typical Robbo crepe...it was a miracle he didnt intone "I believe in sport as in life blah blah blah" before he started..

The man is almost as useless and unpleasant as Denham and Wilson. Anyone who can make me feel sympathy fro Bomber is a reeeaallyy negative influence on the game

Robbo's neither here nor there for me. Bomber's sitting there next to him. He knew what what was coming, but couldn't keep his emotions in check. Imagine how he'll go when the grilling really starts from serious men with serious intelligence.

It was the reaction of a man who's about to walk the plank IMO.

• Like 1

Robbo's neither here nor there for me. Bomber's sitting there next to him. He knew what what was coming, but couldn't keep his emotions in check. Imagine how he'll go when the grilling really starts from serious men with serious intellgence.

It was the reaction of a man who's about to walk the plank IMO.

He's always been like that his press conferences in his last year at Geelong were pathetic.

Nah, Robbo's great. Mind you, we don't need another Robbo. One is enough.

I actually don't mind him, either. He's a boofhead and a bit simple at times, but you can't doubt his passion for footy. He lives and breathes it, sometimes audibly!

Unlike a certain cynical tabloid gossip columnist masquerading as a football journo at The Age. I don't think she even particularly likes the game, just her own overhyped notoriety and erroneous sense of power in relation to it.

• Like 3

They will probably survive long term but I think they are in deep at the moment and the AFL will not be able to bail them out.

What happens if they are found guilty of using banned substances? what about the unfair advantage they will have going into this season if it is the case? How do the AFL deal with games already played? Maybe they should be suspended until a decision has been made, at the least the club or personnel at the club should be suspended for bringing the game into disrepute.

Seems to me the Bombers (backed by the AFL behind the scenes) believe this is a storm in a tea cup.

The Bombers obviously feel they have so many "out of jail" cards that they're quite happy to stonewall this and see it through. Possibly that the outcome will result in, at worst, a minor strike against them. But more than likely not even a strike, just a slap on the wrist or some stern words from Vlad/AFL hierarchy once the outcome is known and the wrist slapping starts.

There's just too much $ at stake here for everyone involved. The AFL are therefore happy to play the onlooking neutral observer role and say all the right things as per media management 101.

I personally don't think ASADA have anything hard or fast on anyone at Bomber land (apart from a few loose lipped ex bombers) and if there is an "EX bomber employee/contractor" found to be up to no good re PEDs, then the Bombers believe they (and their players) can simply plead ignorance due to all their "outs". I'll be very surprised to see anything severley damaging a la the imploding Sharks.

If it was an AFL "B League" club such as us, the Doggies or North, things might be different. But this is an AFL "A League" club. And "A League" clubs are a very protected species indeed.

Seems to me the Bombers (backed by the AFL behind the scenes) believe this is a storm in a tea cup.

The Bombers obviously feel they have so many "out of jail" cards that they're quite happy to stonewall this and see it through. Possibly that the outcome will result in, at worst, a minor strike against them. But more than likely not even a strike, just a slap on the wrist or some stern words from Vlad/AFL hierarchy once the outcome is known and the wrist slapping starts.

There's just too much $ at stake here for everyone involved. The AFL are therefore happy to play the onlooking neutral observer role and say all the right things as per media management 101.

I personally don't think ASADA have anything hard or fast on anyone at Bomber land (apart from a few loose lipped ex bombers) and if there is an "EX bomber employee/contractor" found to be up to no good re PEDs, then the Bombers believe they (and their players) can simply plead ignorance due to all their "outs". I'll be very surprised to see anything severley damaging a la the imploding Sharks.

If it was an AFL "B League" club such as us, the Doggies or North, things might be different. But this is an AFL "A League" club. And "A League" clubs are a very protected species indeed.

I'm pretty sure you are wide of the mark here. Manly are now in the firing line in Sydney and they are the top of the heap as far as A league clubs go in league territory. The dons day will come and the ignorance defence will have worn thin by then, ASADA don't deal in get out of jail cards.

There are two levels to this story. The first is the processes taken by those responsible for overseeing the activities of the sports scientists in the player's supplements regimen. The club has apparently conceded that some practices were irregular and is investigating them. The potential is there for both the AFL and Essendon to engineer outcomes that might whitewash the conduct - a fine, some sackings and then business as usual.

The second level is where it gets difficult for the Bombers and that is if the supplements used in injecting players is identified. They may be entirely legal or they could be banned substances. Then there's also the possibility that they were substances that have not yet been classified. With Dank having been involved at Bomberland after he was flicked by the Sharks, there's room for more than just concern. Even Robbo said it was "alarming". I haven't heard what Caro's had to say about the latest revelations but it would be unusual for her to stay quiet.

There are two levels to this story. The first is the processes taken by those responsible for overseeing the activities of the sports scientists in the player's supplements regimen. The club has apparently conceded that some practices were irregular and is investigating them. The potential is there for both the AFL and Essendon to engineer outcomes that might whitewash the conduct - a fine, some sackings and then business as usual.

The second level is where it gets difficult for the Bombers and that is if the supplements used in injecting players is identified. They may be entirely legal or they could be banned substances. Then there's also the possibility that they were substances that have not yet been classified. With Dank having been involved at Bomberland after he was flicked by the Sharks, there's room for more than just concern. Even Robbo said it was "alarming". I haven't heard what Caro's had to say about the latest revelations but it would be unusual for her to stay quiet.

On the first level I think what you say about engineering outcomes could well be what happens. A bit of the "don't have an enquiry if you don't know the outcome" here I think, particularly with an Essendon person in charge. To my mind it doesn't take an enquiry to tell you there has been a governance issue so this is about providing a sacrificial lamb who I would be sure is already in the gun.

The second level is a concern, so far Essendon have stuck tight, a bit of their famous arrogance at work here but if things don't go their way then it would be near impossible for the big 4, Hird, Robson, Thompson and Corcoran to stay at the club and the possibility that Evans would fall on his sword would be likely. Their attempt at whitewashing with a sacrificial lamb won't wash.

On another level 'Jack', would the players have a right to take legal action against the club? Would what they signed off on have a barring on their right to take action?

On another level 'Jack', would the players have a right to take legal action against the club? Would what they signed off on have a barring on their right to take action?

I don't claim great expertise in this area and don't know what was in the documents the players allegedly signed but my guess is they might struggle to succeed. For players to voluntarily undergo the sort of "treatment" that allegedly took place at Bomberland last year and not ask some serious questions seems problematic. Perhaps a few of them really are dumb?

AFL tribunal, not ASADA, to decide drug penalties

With this news and based upon recent AFL form, I think we can expect some interesting findings. Perhaps a smallish fine and a couple of individuals (who are never going to get jobs in the industry) banned for life and yibbida yibbida, that's all folks.

I think they pretty much have to follow the ASADA recommendations though 'Jack' or make themselves a laughing stock in world sport. It's more a procedural type of thing.

I think they pretty much have to follow the ASADA recommendations though 'Jack' or make themselves a laughing stock in world sport. It's more a procedural type of thing.

I agree in the case where it is proved that the substances injected are banned or possibly awaiting WADA assessment but if the evidence strongly indicates banned substances without direct proof, the capacity to whitewash is limitless.

I agree in the case where it is proved that the substances injected are banned or possibly awaiting WADA assessment but if the evidence strongly indicates banned substances without direct proof, the capacity to whitewash is limitless.

Yep you got it WJ

I actually don't mind him, either. He's a boofhead and a bit simple at times, but you can't doubt his passion for footy. He lives and breathes it, sometimes audibly!

Unlike a certain cynical tabloid gossip columnist masquerading as a football journo at The Age. I don't think she even particularly likes the game, just her own overhyped notoriety and erroneous sense of power in relation to it.

At least with him he will get around to watching nearly all the games (if not by Tues) each round. That's his job. Some others however, don't.

Wilson is more your political journalist, less football nous.

True, but having the energy for the job is another matter:

Tom appeared on the sidewalk with a bucket of whitewash and a long-handled brush. He surveyed the fence, and all gladness left him and a deep melancholy settled down upon his spirit. Thirty yards of board fence nine feet high. Life to him seemed hollow, and existence but a burden. Sighing, he dipped his brush and passed it along the topmost plank; repeated the operation; did it again; compared the insignificant whitewashed streak with the far-reaching continent of unwhitewashed fence, and sat down on a tree-box discouraged. (Mark Twain: Tom Sawyer 1876)

• Like 4