Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

We must trade pick 2

Guest Demon Abroad

Guest Demon Abroad

It is fairly obvious that this draft/trading period is absolutely critical to the future of the MFC, it is even more obvious that we urgently need high quality midfielders.

When I look at our list on paper I feel relatively content with the forward and backline stocks, we are all looking forward to a Clark, Dawes, Hogan and Howe setup and Garland and Frawley are top line defenders with McDonald having a chance to join them if he can fix some deficiencies in his game.

Without a midfield however they don't have a chance - the backline is under constant pressure and the forward line doesn't get a look in, if the midfield issue is addressed and soon, could we dream that the rest of it could come together more quickly than many would think? Probably this is just MFC supporter hope but this is all we have in times like these.

On the basis of the above we need to be super aggressive in addressing this midfield problem and our main bargaining power to do this (along with a potential PP and salary cap room) is pick 2. Now is not the time for our hopes to be pinned once again to an 18 year old high draft pick who we have to wait to develop into a quality player - we need experienced and quality mids right now and the club needs to move heaven and earth to get them including trading away pick 2.

The Melbourne faithful have been sold hope for years and the draft has been the most exciting time of the season for many but if insipid performance like today continue the future of the club will be put in serious jeopardy, one only has to look at the effect of this years on field performance on the bottom line to see this.

So please football department, do not even consider which 18 year old might be on offer at pick 2, get aggressive and get the best midfielder(s) that can give the club the immediate boost that is needed.

• Like 3

trade pick 2? It would have to be a bloody good deal for us to do that.

It is blatantly clear that we need midfielders, so we need to draft/trade for needs basis (not best available).

Even if we get a high priority pick, we still need to go all out with midfielders.

pick 2 + PP + 2nd round pick all need to be mids.

We could draft the likes of Aish, Dunstan and Hartung with those types of picks. From past draft experiences, not all will be stars (we will be lucky to get one very good player out of them), but we need to keep on bringing in new mids and hopefully land a couple of gems.

As for trading, who in their right mind would want to come to us anyways?

• Like 1

is there enough talent besides boyd to warrent a serious offer though? maybe the crows or bombers if they lose draft picks

That's the question the reverse is which club would give up a quality mid for a future mid that may or may not reach the same level. The answer is no club will, on offer will be fringe players only.

This is why the call to trade pick 2 for a quality mid is unrealistic, it's just not going to happen.

If we had Boyd then it would be a different story but I wouldn't trade him, I would trade others.

• Like 1

Guest Demon Abroad

We need mids in the 22-25 age bracket, not 18 year old that may have promise but take time to develop as we are seeing with Toumpas this year. The club needs players that can improve the side immediately not in 4-5 years time. We cannot afford many more years like the last few purely from a financial point of view as much as anything.

Admittedly is will have to be a good deal for pick 2 but at the same time we have all gotten obsessed with high draft picks being our only hope of improving - I think Geelong and Sydney have proven this to be false.

It will be a gamble but we need to risk losing a player that MIGHT be a champ in the future to gain one an A grader that may never be a champion but can improve the club right now.

With regards to who will come to the club, we could have said the same about trying to land Clark and Dawes in previous years - it is given we will have to pay overs though but not impossible I don't think.

Edited by Demon Abroad
  • Like 1

if we get a priority pick ahead of gws, absolutely we should be trading it.

but trade pick #2? no. apart from boyd, this is a midfielder's draft.

the only players i'd be willing to trade a pick 2 in the draft for would be:

dangerfield (but they wouldn't do the deal)

murphy, with their first round pick

thomas, with their first round pick

heppell

fyfe, with their first round pick

selwood (but they wouldn't do the deal)

prestia, with their first round pick

adams, with their mid-first round compensation pick, and their second round pick

lewis, with their first round pick

boak

cotchin or martin

kieren jack or tom mitchell

in short, it ain't gonna happen.

• Like 1

Guest Demon Abroad

heppell

adams, with their mid-first round compensation pick, and their second round pick

boak

cotchin or martin

You have listed quite a few options there so I don't see why you can then state it ain't going to happen.

I can't see why people don't see how urgent this need is and think that another 18 year old player that takes time to develop is going to fix it.

In short if we don't improve on field soon the club will not be financially viable into the future and the biggest scope for us to improve list wise is to bring in quality mids - it must be done.

Not going to say a deal will be easy - but we have the pick plus the cap room so we have to be bold and thinking left field of the normal trade scenarios.

Guest Demon Abroad

mate its more why would someone trade a star mid for someone who might be a star mid one day

So are you saying pick 2 doesn't have much currency?? This would be at odds with everything I have ever heard in recent times.

I am not saying we are going to get a superstar but we should be able to get at least an A grader that can improve our side.

Guest Demon Abroad

i am saying at this point james aish would be better than anything we would get offered

At some point we have to stop overrating these junior footballer when comparing them to current players.

Surely we have been burned enough with top picks to get this and for once we have to risk that we might lose a player that could be better in the long run to get one that it a known quantity and can improve us now.

By the time this years draftees are playing their best footy we will be out of business if we don't improve fast.

Edited by Demon Abroad

Guest Demon Abroad

a kid with star potential is better than a fringe player

If you think the currency of pick 2 in the draft is a fringe player you don't have much of a clue

Find me the list of ready made midfielders available and I'll consider it.

I've got no doubt we'd be all for trading pick 2 for a Judd in his prime just like Carlton did but simply I'm not aware of any high class player who is out of contract and keen to come home to Victoria who we could land for that.

So we hit the draft board and we have faith.

Today we played like we did under Neeld against a team of flat track bullies on their home ground where they've led some of the best teams in the comp and destroyed Richmond only a few weeks ago. The last few weeks have given us optimism about what can be achieved with some proper coaching.

Why would you make a rash deal for a B grade player. That won't help us it will just hinder us.

Effort and confidence will go along way. Our backline today couldn't stand up without our 2 best rebounders in Terlich and Garland. Our forward line can improve dramatically with Clark and Hogan and Dawes getting the second or third defender.

North's midfield aren't full of stars. So yes that makes us look shocking. But consider what some coaching and belief can do. Today we got towelled up by Swallow, Wells, Ziebell, Bastinac and Cunnington with Harvey front running as he can only do against bad sides. Have some faith in our coaching and we might get Jones, Sylvia, Toumpas, Viney and co to compete against North and beat some much lesser teams.

• Like 1

Unless we can get back a massive talent thats been in the system for a few years already and about to explode - like we did when we traded pick 2 for Jeff White - then it wont happen

The new coach will back himself in anyway to develop whoever we take at pick 2.

Guest Demon Abroad

Unless we can get back a massive talent thats been in the system for a few years already and about to explode - like we did when we traded pick 2 for Jeff White - then it wont happen

The new coach will back himself in anyway to develop whoever we take at pick 2.

I would have thought a new coach would prefer a player than can benefit him immediately rather than have a player who is no good to you because you will have already been sacked as our recent history has shown

If you think the currency of pick 2 in the draft is a fringe player you don't have much of a clue

Find out who is available with pick 2.

With free agency these days clubs don't want to [censored] off their established players. They are already up against it. Plus none of the top 8 are really going to trade away genuine midfielders. Bottom clubs don't have enough of these types hence why they are bottom clubs! For example we wouldn't trade away Nathan Jones for that exact reason.

Carlton will offer Yarran and other clubs will come up with similar scenarios of talent who don't fit exactly what they need.

The bird in hand is still worth two in the bush.

We'd get a good player, but we won't get what we need.

We should attempt to trade our second rounder for a young up and comer with potential like Sydney with Josh Kennedy, Port with Monfries and Brad Ebert, Geelong with Josh Caddy etc and hope they can blossom into a gun with more opportunity.

• Like 1

Guest Demon Abroad

Not sure why people would think that pick 2 would only get us a "B grade" or "fringe" player this is just ridiculous thinking.

We got Mitch Clark with pick 12 why can't we get a quality mid with pick 2 if similar circumstances present themselves.

It is not as though the intentions of every single player regarding their contract is known through the media so the club must investigate every option is what I am saying.

Guest Demon Abroad

Find out who is available with pick 2.

With free agency these days clubs don't want to [censored] their established players. They are already up against it. Plus none of the top 8 are really going to trade away genuine midfielders. Bottom clubs don't have enough of these types hence why they are bottom clubs! For example we wouldn't trade away Nathan Jones for that exact reason.

Carlton will offer Yarran and other clubs will come up with similar scenarios of talent who don't fit exactly what they need.

The bird in hand is still worth two in the bush.

We'd get a good player, but we won't get what we need.

We should attempt to trade our second rounder for a young up and comer with potential like Sydney with Josh Kennedy, Port with Monfries and Brad Ebert, Geelong with Josh Caddy etc and hope they can blossom into a gun with more opportunity.

There can always be reasons where a club is forced to make a trade as the player wants a change or is chasing the $$$$ we have to explore these options - clearly we are going to have to pay overs but if the lure of money can work for Gold Coast and GWS why can it not for us?

I would slot Callan Ward into our side any day of the week.

Edited by Demon Abroad

Not sure why people would think that pick 2 would only get us a "B grade" or "fringe" player this is just ridiculous thinking.

We got Mitch Clark with pick 12 why can't we get a quality mid with pick 2 if similar circumstances present themselves.

It is not as though the intentions of every single player regarding their contract is known through the media so the club must investigate every option is what I am saying.

I'm just thinking back to when people made trades for draft picks that high.

We had Jolly traded to Collingwood for a first round pick. Tarrant to Freo. Clark. Judd for 1st rounder and Josh Kennedy. Shaun Burgoyne for a first round pick. Ottens for 2 mid to late first rounders. And the Croad and McPharlin to Freo for pick 1 deal. Our own Scotty Thompson to Adelaide for a first round pick on traded for Moloney.

I'm just thinking it seems most of the time the player wants to leave and right now there isn't much out there available in regards to true midfielders.

We'd get some decent offers but you'd want a prime quality midfielder aged 22-25 who's keen to come play for us to give up pick 2. Or a superstar of the comp aged 25-27 you might consider.

There can always be reasons where a club is forced to make a trade as the player wants a change or is chasing the $$$$ we have to explore these options - clearly we are going to have to pay overs but if the lure of money can work for Gold Coast and GWS why can it not for us?

I would slot Callan Ward into our side any day of the week.

Callan Ward didn't just get overs, he got over overs! Not to mention he fought long and hard about leaving.

We might be able to squeeze him in the cap but it also established a bad precedent for the rest of our midfielders if (and I hope they do) they got up to his level. You'd have to pay Jones the same already and then Viney would ask for a chunk in a couple of years.

I'd still be all for pick 2 for Callan Ward in a lot of ways but I just can't think off the top of my head of a player of his quality a club would be looking to give up even for the prize of pick 2.

It just makes sense if we leave Nathan Jones as the star for now. Get 2 more workman like midfielders say from trading a second round pick and a player or FA and then use pick 2 on a potential star.

Things are bad with our list but I'm not convinced we are completely heading for a 0 win season next year. With half decent coaching and confidence from preseason and some simple list changes I'm sure we could win 6 games. That's not a lot but it would more than restore confidence to the club and if we won 3 of our first 8 to say we'd be up and about and on the right track.

heppell

boak

cotchin or martin

For pick 2 your right, we won't get murphy, dangerfield, keiran jack, cotchin, martin.

But i think its realistic to offer a club like the dogs pick 2 and forward for griffen.

Bernie vince is a prospect.

Freo have a wealth of mids and a lack of forward options which we could address. of quality players off the top of my head they have Hill, Main, Fyfe and barlow. to a lesser extent mzungu. I dont want trade a fwd of ours but it may have to happen. Fitzy is a likely candidate as much as im enjoying him. Pick 2 and fitz for fife main or hill or barlow i think is not a bad deal. Freo also have guys like deboer, mzungu, danyle pearce, clancy pearce, that could be a target other than the main target of getting a star.

Brisbanes Hanley and zorko surley have a price. Not necessarily the star we are after but in addition to a big name could be very handy.

I do think if the mid field can get some structure then we can make serious in roads for 2014. fwd and def looks pretty good on paper.