Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION

Demonland

THE TURN by Whispering Jack

It was a misty night in early September, 2006 when Melbourne last beat St. Kilda before 67,528 people who came to the MCG for an elimination final. The rain began to fall as half time began and those hearts that beat true for the Demons were downcast as their team, in arrears by 20 points (it could have been worse had they not scored the last goal of the second quarter), trudged slowly into the rooms. It would take a champion effort to turn things around.

The effort came in the form of a sensational last half by the team led by youngster Brock McLean (in his 46th AFL game) who played the game of his short football lifetime up to that point. The deficit was reduced to nine points by the final change and a devastating last term saw Melbourne home by three goals. They lost ruckman Mark Jamar with a broken foot and Matthew Whelan to a shoulder injury and lost the Semi Final in Perth the following week but still finished in a higher position in 2006 than any of the other Victorian clubs.

Since then the teams have met eight times and the result has always been the same - comprehensive victories for the Saints (the best effort was an 18 point margin last year) before ever dwindling numbers and an ever increasingly gloomy outlook for both clubs; in Melbourne's case it has touched on despair.

It is not for the first or even the second time since that finals encounter - but the third - that Melbourne has found it necessary to play out a season with a caretaker coach. It is the fourth occasion in that time that the team has reached the halfway mark of the season with but a single victory to its name.

Most at the club have had enough of this but the question still hangs in the air. Is there anything that can be done to turn things around?

THE GAME

St. Kilda v Melbourne at MCG Saturday 22nd June, 2013 at 4:40pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall St. Kilda 85 wins Melbourne 118 wins 1 drawn

At MCG St. Kilda 33 wins Melbourne 58 wins

Since 2000 St. Kilda 10 wins Melbourne 9 wins

The Coaches Watters 0 wins Craig 0 wins

MEDIA

TV Fox Footy Channel Live at 4.30pm

RADIO ABC K Rock

THE BETTING

St. Kilda to win $1.13 Melbourne to win $6.00

THE LAST TIME THEY MET St. Kilda 16.11.107 defeated Melbourne 12.10.82, Round 20, 2012 at the MCG

Sam Blease had a stand out game with five goals and helped the Demons come from a long way behind to give the Saints a minor scare before emerging winners by 25 points.

There was some doubt earlier in the week as to whether Saints' small forward Stephen Milne would play because of alleged homophobic comments towards Heritier O'Brien of Collingwood. He made it and played but he's not so lucky this time around.

THE TEAMS

ST. KILDA

Backs Rhys Stanley James Gwilt Dylan Roberton

Half backs Jarryn Geary Sam Fisher Jack Newnes

Centreline David Armitage Sean Dempster Terry Milera

Half forwards Nick Dal Santo Justin Koschitzke Clint Jones

Forwards Trent Dennis-Lane Nick Riewoldt Jack Steven

Followers Ben McEvoy Leigh Montagna Farren Ray

Interchange Sam Dunell Seb Ross Tom Simpkin Jimmy Webster

Emergencies Brodie Murdoch Ahmed Saad Arryn Siposs

In Sam Fisher Justin Koschitzke Terry Milera Tom Simpkin

Out Beau Maister (hamstring) Stephen Milne Ahmed Saad Josh Saunders

MELBOURNE

Backs Lynden Dunn Colin Garland Dean Terlich

Half backs Tom McDonald Cam Pedersen Mitch Clisby

Centreline Jeremy Howe Jack Trengove Matt Jones

Half forwards Aaron Davey Chris Dawes Sam Blease

Forwards Shannon Byrnes Colin Sylvia David Rodan

Followers Jake Spencer Jack Watts Nathan Jones

Interchange Jack Fitzpatrick Dean Kent Daniel Nicholson Jimmy Toumpas

Emergencies Max Gawn James Magner James Sellar

In Shannon Byrnes Mitch Clisby Dan Nicholson Jake Spencer

Out Michael Evans (foot) Mark Jamar (toe) Jordie McKenzie (elbow) Luke Tapscott

New Mitch Clisby (23, North Adelaide)

TWILIGHT ZONE

There's a game this Saturday scheduled to take place in a time nestled between day and night usually reserved for fixtures that aren't quite right. Like most matches between 16 and 17th placed teams it deserves its placement outside the normal hours for the game and indeed, until the events of last week, it would have attracted minor interest from those outside the group of avid fans of the respective clubs. The strange case of Stephen Milne and the charges of rape from nine years ago and the equally strange (on a different plane) case of Mark Neeld's dismissal have combined to ensure that there will be a substantial amount of public interest in this game. After all, the media ghouls have been feasting on the two stories for the entire week.

The back story from the Milne affair is the alleged player revolt at St. Kilda in support of their teammate and the question marks against the entire culture of a club whose history of extracurricular party boy activities precedes it and has become the stuff of legend. How will they respond this week?

There are a myriad of questions about Melbourne in the wake of Neeld's departure, mine being about the confidence of the playing group and whether the changes that are taking place both on and off the field under a quasi AFL regime will have a positive effect to their mindset. Do the players trust the people in charge?

Selecting the winner remains easy on paper. You only have to look at each team's most recent performance. The Saints were genuinely unlucky not to bring home the four points against the Eagles in a pressure cooker game while the Demons could only maintain one quarter of pressure before the Magpies swamped them.

While St. Kilda is missing personnel who have hurt Melbourne in the past - Hayes, Milne (always seems to kick the opening goal in these games), Meister etc. - the missing Demons are so important in terms of the strength and team depth that are so crucial in young, inexperienced sides.

Ultimately, the difference between the two might be determined at the top of the class in terms of the two Saints celebrating their 250th games for they personify two of the main ingredients that the Demons lack. Nick Riewodlt is a true champion of the game, a key position player with a great engine and plenty of courage and Nick dal Santo is a clever and classy midfielder. Both can turn the course of games but their team won't need to change anything this week. I expect them to be far too strong.

St. Kilda by 37 points.

Let's see some corridor footy.

Just go for it boys. Who knows what can happen when you're let off the chain.

• Like 1

I seriously believe that if we can get enough of the ball out of the middle we can get the win. They are missing some key players from a structural perspective. Hayes may not play, Fisher may not play, Blake is out, Maister is out. They are relying on Dempster, Gwilt and Stanley in the back line and some other kids, but they have little size down there.

The main concern for me is that this week both Dal Santo and Riewoldt play their 250th. That's sure to give them a lift.

But, aside from their midfield, there is little that gives me worry. I just hope Jamar actually sticks on McEvoy and doesn't let him roam far and wide to do whatever he wants.

They're struggling a bit. Milne, Maister, Goddard, Gram, Gilbert and Blake will be missing from the side we last played.

Hayes and Fisher are subject to test and Kosi has been playing VFL.

This is not to say that we have not been struggling but it seems now there is some light at the end of the tunnel if not a glimpse of the blue skies that Bailey spoke of from time to time.

Melbourne round 13 team
B: Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Dean Terlich
HB: Tom McDonald, Cam Pedersen, Mitch Clisby
C: Jeremy Howe, Jack Trengove, Matt Jones
HF: Aaron Davey, Chris Dawes, Sam Blease
F: Shannon Byrnes, Colin Sylvia, David Rodan
FOLL: Jake Spencer, Jack Watts, Nathan Jones
I/C: Jimmy Toumpas, Daniel Nicholson, Dean Kent, Jack Fitzpatrick
EMG: James Magner, James Sellar, Max Gawn
IN: Shannon Byrnes, Mitch Clisby, Jake Spencer, Daniel Nicholson
OUT: Mark Jamar (toe), Jordie McKenzie (elbow), Michael Evans (foot), Luke Tapscott
NEW: Mitch Clisby (North Adelaide)

Dam no Chip. What is with the toe and foot injuries. Bloody hell, how do you get a toe injury anyway?

​Apart form Clisby who im looking forward to watching and Byrnes yes I think he can help our forward line im not excited by those other ins.

Why the hell is Spencer in the team ahead of Gawn?

They are awful selections.

Agree! i believe Gawn is far better around the ground than Spencer!

G'day Mae, I guess Spencer has been on the cusp all season. He's been an emergency for every game this season, except rounds six and seven, when he played and he wasn't an emergency against Collingwood. Given he's been so close to selection and Max has had a bit of a taste this year, I'm sure the thinking would've been to give Spencer an opportunity, plus the fact he has dominated several matches with Casey this year. Matt.

This is from Matt Burgan

Dam no Chip. What is with the toe and foot injuries. Bloody hell, how do you get a toe injury anyway?

​Apart form Clisby who im looking forward to watching and Byrnes yes I think he can help our forward line im not excited by those other ins.

I'm told the Jamar toe injury relates to a minor case of leather-poisoning.

• Like 1

Ben McEvoy must be sitting over at moorabin with a grin from ear to ear. Interesting for watts, I think ruck rover is the only position he hasn't played, along with ruck. Which I'm sure he will get a chance to try over the next few weeks.

I expected taggert across half forward or maybe Davis to come in, something to give us a little bit to look forward to. Best of luck to Mitch clisby though!

I think it's a work load issue for Gawny. With Fitzpatrick not a recognised back up at AFL level - he looks ok but he's not really great at rucking yet they think Spencer is more likely to stand up to a heavy game in the ruck. He's an epic spud though, which they are clearly overlooking.

If we had 2 Gawn's I think we'd go for Gawn and Gawn. But instead we see Spencer and Fitzpatrick a more likely combination than Gawn and Fitzpatrick which I guess is fair enough. We need to work out if Spencer is any hope in hell of making it. Why we gave him a 2 year deal last year is beyond a joke, who was going to poach him!!!!

Byrnes for Tapscott is fine as long as Tapscott has a clear direction to work on something at Casey.

Clisby for Evans is an obvious one for Toumpy and Matt Jones back to a wing.

Nicholson for McKenzie is one defensive hard running mid for another but it's a worry they are our only options. We should have young mids who can do defensive jobs lined up. Looks like it might be Nicholson to Dal Santo, although don't discount Trengove to Dal Santo and Nicholson on a wing.

Spencer over Gawn is an interesting one. Really can't see how Spencer is better than Gawn. I don't like that one. Also can't say I'm a big fan of Nicholson but they will have gone for someone with pace to replace Evans.

But the biggest glaring thing about this team is that Dunn has kept his spot. That is disgraceful.

• Like 5

G'day Mae, I guess Spencer has been on the cusp all season. He's been an emergency for every game this season, except rounds six and seven, when he played and he wasn't an emergency against Collingwood. Given he's been so close to selection and Max has had a bit of a taste this year, I'm sure the thinking would've been to give Spencer an opportunity, plus the fact he has dominated several matches with Casey this year. Matt.

This is from Matt Burgan

I'm thinking Max may not have the match fitness to run out a full game in the ruck, but he is streets ahead of Spencer in all other aspects of his game.

Like Watts as mid and Clisby in. Hope Rory Taggert gets moving the next couple of games at Casey and there's a place available for him.

Byrnes ahead of Tapscott?

Spencer ahead of Gawn.

What far king idiots. Coach for the future Neil, not for your résumé.

You really think a coach looking at his resume would include Spencer. There are reasons behind it and it's certainly not because it's going to win this game with that miracle move. It's the same reason Kosi gets played at the saints - and will probably end up kicking a bag on Pedersen!