Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Choco Williams

tonatopia

Don't worry about the money.

Remember the old saying if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

To get the best coach available you have to pay top dollar.

We'll see in the next 2 months what gonad$ the new board has.

Can somebody tell me why he's called Choco?

Exerpt from the Adelaide Advertiser.

Although some thought Choco was southern European, and many other believed he was part Aboriginal, Williams' cousin Christine Gibson has unravelled the family's history, revealing their great, great grandfather, Thomas Alexander Ferguson, was an Afro-Caribbean born 187 years ago - an orphan of the brutal transatlantic slave trade.

"It's something that I'm proud of," Williams said.

But Williams understands players, he cuddles them, he educates them, he gets the best out of them. Colin is just a country lad that needs direction. I'm sure Colin knows the clock is ticking on his footy career and I have a hunch Williams would get the best out of him.

Well he only has 2yrs to do it, Sylvia at the end of his AFL days, that what's makes me laugh about him leaving, the guys 28, he's had multiple chances to leave, Colin plays for money and our club offers him the best contract every time , if he wanted finals he would've left 3years ago.
  • Like 1

Well he only has 2yrs to do it, Sylvia at the end of his AFL days, that what's makes me laugh about him leaving, the guys 28, he's had multiple chances to leave, Colin plays for money and our club offers him the best contract every time , if he wanted finals he would've left 3years ago.

very easy coin for him

Which is why , should Choco come on board I dont think they'd gel

Happy for CS to leave and MW to join

Regardless of who we get as coach I think we need the person to step into the role this year ASAP.

Im not saying rush the decision, but give the uncontracted players a chance to play under the new coach and gel... this may help them re sign with us.

Head of other elite performance stuff: Neil Craig

Head of player development/recruiting/some other important role: Todd Viney

Ron, this sounds like the Schwab model: let's take these guys with names and find them a job, rather than working out what the jobs are and then finding the right names. This is how we end up with the situation where we've got staff with wishy-washy titles and seemingly no real responsibility.

To that end, I'd be surprised if Viney and Craig were both employees of the MFC in 2014.

• Like 4

Ron, this sounds like the Schwab model: let's take these guys with names and find them a job, rather than working out what the jobs are and then finding the right names. This is how we end up with the situation where we've got staff with wishy-washy titles and seemingly no real responsibility.

To that end, I'd be surprised if Viney and Craig were both employees of the MFC in 2014.

I agree but I don't like it.

Here we have two talented individuals who simply have the ignominy of being employed by the club at a time when their roles were altered.

I would hope that we explore any role - even if it is Development Coach - before we think about paying out their contracts.

• Like 1

Regardless of who we get as coach I think we need the person to step into the role this year ASAP.

Im not saying rush the decision, but give the uncontracted players a chance to play under the new coach and gel... this may help them re sign with us.

Unless we get Roos or Lethal we won't get them before the end of the year. Eade and Williams are both contracted till the end of the year and I think would want to see it through.

Youd probably find any Assistant coach would be able to move over pretty quickly. Nearly all have a get out clause. Media folk ..nothing really stopping them.

In reality any of Roos, Eade, Mathews ( highly doubtful imho ) Choco could start in a fortnight if that was their wish ( and agreement )

Was right hand man to Cahill during 1997 & 98 took over the following year and from memory took them to finals in his first year where they lost to North. There original draft concessions were not great (nothing like GWS & Suns) they traded there first pick in 1996 draft which Meth Coast used for Gardiner.

From 1999 to 2004 he had Port as a formidable side who finished minor Premiers 2 or 3 times. He then rebuilt the list from 04-07 and got them to the GF again in 07 where they lost to the powerful Geelong side. I think he had run his race with Port by the end of 08 and it was time for him to move on then but he basically built two very good sides at Port!

Port were pretty comptetitive from the start though mate. They were knocking on the door of the finals in their first two seasons and yes they didn't get the draft picks that GWS and Gold Coast did, but they certainly were given very generous predraft zone concessions centred on a prime AFL football state and predraft access to uncontracted players.

Peter Burgoyne, Stuart Dew, Roger James, Josh Francou, Brendan Lade, Darren Mead, Warren Treadrea, Michael Wilson all 100 game plus players for them from zone selections, plus a few other handy ones. Wanganeen and Primus as predraft uncontracted players. Not a bad start. Port were an example of how starting a club should be done at least list management wise.

• Like 1

This is in the wrong thread dd

Blame the idiots that keep bringing his name up. Wont ever happen the bloke is settled up in Brisbane with his Grand Kids and family. He has finished coaching and been too long out. Even himself has said in the media his coaching days are over and has no ambition anymore because he has already achieved the ultimate prize.

I think you're a good poster RB - but what's the obsession with Junior McDonald? He doesn't have the runs on the board.

He's got a double century on the board with this club IMO.

The players respect him, he was hard at it, he was a great midfielder, and he loves the club.

Fundamentally though, it's about culture.

We've been run by dispassionate management consultants for too long. We need to get some footy people back into the place and get these players loving the joint - die for the club and one another stuff.

And I reckon Junior has their respect - he can also perform a valuable role from a technical perspective.

No brainer IMO.

People like Choco with Junior as a key assistant would thrive in an MFC 'backs to the wall' environment IMO.

• Like 1

Blame the idiots that keep bringing his name up. Wont ever happen the bloke is settled up in Brisbane with his Grand Kids and family. He has finished coaching and been too long out. Even himself has said in the media his coaching days are over and has no ambition anymore because he has already achieved the ultimate prize.

Just havin a bit of fun mate.

Personally I think it's out of Roos, Choco and Eade which I then think it most likely will be Choco.

Any of these three I will be happy with.

• Like 1

Interesting seeing what others elsewhere are thinking.

Richmond folk are seriously worried about losing Choco. Really really rate him. They as a lot are hoping that Williams might be a little too eccentric , a bit too mad and rough around the edges, a little bit too blue collar for this 'white' collar club..

Funny how people perceive things.

Some things said rang as curious. Richmond have stepped up as a result of Chocos influence.

Roos would be good, but I really quite like the idea of how someone like Williams might reinvent this rabble.

• Like 3

I just don't know about Williams.

I think he is a good coach, even though I do think he was given a pretty good start to his career due to how Port was set up and he had a lot to work with. He was a key part in the development of a very dominant team although you could argue they should have won more than one flag. He also was able to rebuild his team and they were tracking well until the disaster of the Grand final loss to Geelong.

My questions are. Were the seeds of later fractures at Port sown in the aftermath of the 04 flag with Williams settling scores? What was Williams doing in the leadup to the Geelong grand final smashing, because whatever it was it backfired? Why did the Power fall in a heap after that loss? Why would he hire his sister as a club psychologist? That is a professional no no. Why was the club so fractured when he left?

A lot of rumours are circulating about his time at GWS, so why did he leave early and has he actually learned from some of the mistakes he made at Port?

I do think he can coach, but he also scares the hell out of me :)

I think he is a good coach, even though I do think he was given a pretty good start to his career due to how Port was set up and he had a lot to work with. He was a key part in the development of a very dominant team although you could argue they should have won more than one flag. He also was able to rebuild his team and they were tracking well until the disaster of the Grand final loss to Geelong.

My questions are. Were the seeds of later fractures at Port sown in the aftermath of the 04 flag with Williams settling scores? What was Williams doing in the leadup to the Geelong grand final smashing, because whatever it was it backfired? Why did the Power fall in a heap after that loss? Why would he hire his sister as a club psychologist? That is a professional no no. Why was the club so fractured when he left?

A lot of rumours are circulating about his time at GWS, so why did he leave early and has he actually learned from some of the mistakes he made at Port?

Not sure on all the port answers but in regards to GWS Williams left cause it was to do with the fact that he should have been coach this yr and they signed Sheedy for another season.

I would be pizzed too if that was the case.

Not sure on all the port answers but in regards to GWS Williams left cause it was to do with the fact that he should have been coach this yr and they signed Sheedy for another season.

I would be pizzed too if that was the case.

Leaving aside our clubs disapproval of those who have a dummy spit over not getting what they want, club captain... that sort of thing :)

Do you think that there might be more to it than that. Personality clashes for example. He couldn't wait another year? Wasn't he contracted for another one...not sure? It does seem a bit reactive to leave your job for a lesser role at another club that has to also be a lesser paying one. Strange.

Leaving aside our clubs disapproval of those who have a dummy spit over not getting what they want, club captain... that sort of thing :)

Do you think that there might be more to it than that. Personality clashes for example. He couldn't wait another year? Wasn't he contracted for another one...not sure? It does seem a bit reactive to leave your job for a lesser role at another club that has to also be a lesser paying one. Strange.

Dummy spit as u call it, if it was agreed to and then they changed their mind and reappointed sheeds it would be human nature to be annoyed. Verbal contract as good as a written one etc.

How do u know he is on less money at the tigs? We will never know the real reason but he has won a premiership with port which is in his favour.

Put it this way if he won one at the dees and left in bad circumstances I can live with that what I can't live with is the shite we are in now and we aren't even close to winning anything even a rigged chook lotto (sorry chook no offence)

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

Dummy spit as u call it, if it was agreed to and then they changed their mind and reappointed sheeds it would be human nature to be annoyed. Verbal contract as good as a written one etc.

How do u know he is on less money at the tigs? We will never know the real reason but he has won a premiership with port which is in his favour.

Put it this way if he won one at the dees and left in bad circumstances I can live with that what I can't live with is the shite we are in now and we aren't even close to winning anything even a rigged chook lotto (sorry chook no offence)

Fair points, but I do believe he is a bit too emotionally reactive and a polariser. He could be a spectacular success or a spectacular failure. I doubt there will be any middleground. There is a good chance he will be our next coach so I hope it is the spectacular success, because I am also sick of shite.

That is why I have questions. He is very unlikely to be on the same money at Richmond considering the money GWS have been throwing around and the fact that he was senior assistant there.

At least he hired one. That's something our lot could have done with for the last two years.

Yes please on Choco for me.

At least he hired one. That's something our lot could have done with for the last two years.

Yes please on Choco for me.

Whether he hired one is not the point. As the coaches sister she was always compromised and it was a very unprofessional appointment. I can't believe the club signed off on it, although it perhaps gives credence to the belief that some at the club were giving him enough rope to hang himself. Towards the end Port seem to have had as many dysfunctional relationships as we have had. It seems she also had a fair bit to say about how they sacked him with a speech at the best and fairest night after the event. She probably had some fair points, but again some of that would have been lost due to the view that she was just defending her brother. Nothing wrong with defending your family by the way, it is just that she had a terrible conflict of interest between her professional role and her loyalty to her family.

he is bona fide insane. a nightmare to deal with. sets up factions.

big no for mine.

watch his 3 part interview on you tube. with kg & the general ( phil smythe ).

see if you feel the same way.from 12 july 2010..

very informative & honest. especially his "chad cornes DRILL'"in part 3.( named after him for not getting off his bum)..

great record over a long time ..

last 2 years had 8 out the best 20 players injured..

I suppose in light of the allegations made about the past couple of coaching appointments we've made, all candidates will have to submit to some form of psychological testing in the future but what do these tests really tell you? Surely, if someone's clever enough, these tests could be manipulated?

Then there's the question of how you approach the subject. Imagine telling a seasoned, experienced coach like Roos or Sheedy that you wanted them to submit to that sort of testing as part of the selection process. I'm sure Carlton didn't do that with Malthouse.

Perhaps we just have to accept the fact that all coaches are nut cases.

• Like 3