Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Kennett future MelbourneFC President?

Satan

Jeff essentially is in this for Jeff and he is a publicity [censored]. Compare him with another premier who served just as long as he did, Steve Bracks. Do you hear Bracksy on the radio shooting his mouth off about this that and the other?

Rubbish. It's certainly not for publicity. Jeff has foot and mouth disease. Always has. Never been able to help himself.

You may dislike the pr1ck, but his motives are good. But judgment not always.

• Like 1

Kennett is a typical money-grabbing Liberal. As long as the private sector is seen to be booming, who gives a toss about the rest. He closed down copious public schools and hospitals. Opened up Crown, what irony, given his later position at Beyond Blue and brought the mind-numbingly dull Grand Prix with its environmental and noise pollution to our door steps. Seemingly a [censored] of a guy. But if you can look past all his moral breaches and money grabbing, he's an extremely successful business person. Not only this, he's also overseen a football club who has prospered amazingly and won a flag in his time at the helm. Right now I couldn't give a toss who takes over our presidency. If Kennett's heart is in it, get him. I will however flag I do hold some trepidation, given his past stance on the MFC and mergers.

My thoughts exactly AF (good initials those) really wont comment either way till I hear it's more than a publicity stunt and if not what he/the ticket has to bring to the table

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly AF (good initials those) really wont comment either way till I hear it's more than a publicity stunt and if not what he/the ticket has to bring to the table

You agree that he's a "money grabbing Liberal" ? When it's Labor Governments that spend spend spend. It's Labor that turn surpluses into deficits.

You people are stupid beyond belief.

If they hadn't gone out there wouldn't need to be.

Hmm not sure about that, as strong and powerful as guys like Kennett and Howard were as leaders I doubt even they would be immune from crashing financial markets around the globe and the cumulative effects of 3 decades of neoliberal policies coming home to roost. Thank god though for the minerals still in the ground or Australia really would be a banana republic but even they won't last forever.

Jeff essentially is in this for Jeff and he is a publicity [censored]. Compare him with another premier who served just as long as he did, Steve Bracks. Do you hear Bracksy on the radio shooting his mouth off about this that and the other?

"Bracksy" did stake his entire career on laying low so that he couldn't disenfranchise anyone and risk losing votes though. Probably figures it served him well then no reason to change now.

Hmm not sure about that, as strong and powerful as guys like Kennett and Howard were as leaders I doubt even they would be immune from crashing financial markets around the globe and the cumulative effects of 3 decades of neoliberal policies coming home to roost. Thank god though for the minerals still in the ground or Australia really would be a banana republic but even they won't last forever.

Crap. They left a huge surplus, always balanced the books, and were consistently smart economic operators.

Disappointing for you, I know.

Crap. They left a huge surplus, always balanced the books, and were consistently smart economic operators.

I wonder why he was voted out? The state was clearly a utopia for all during the wise reign of King Jeff.

No scratch that. Why did three independents, two who were conservatives, vote him out? And why did this lead to 11 years of Labor government in Victoria? (Soon to be 15 years out of 19 years of Labor government in Victoria)

Edited by Guest

Idiots, Dicker did all the hard yards at Hawthorn, and you have a number of premiership players from the 80's all in key roles at the club perpetuating a culture that Allan Jeans entrenched, Kennet adds nothing and is NOT Melbourne, morons here giving this the time of day cannot see that he is just further stirring the pot at a club he hates.

We shall see.

Back to the footy - where are the Melbourne people putting their hand up for the role? I think everyone acknowledges McLardy is not up to it and I haven't heard anything from Freeman to give me confidence in him particularly as he was chosen by the current board as the heir apparent. We need something to happen now and we need people with business AND footy connections/knowledge to challenge the board. Leaving it til the end of the year is no good as we need to get things sorted before then so that we can begin planning for the off season and 2014 as early as possible.

"Bracksy" did stake his entire career on laying low so that he couldn't disenfranchise anyone and risk losing votes though. Probably figures it served him well then no reason to change now.

Bracksy has had other jobs after his premiership i.e. working in Timor and for the federal Labor party. He just isn't a [censored] like Jeff.

You agree that he's a "money grabbing Liberal" ? When it's Labor Governments that spend spend spend. It's Labor that turn surpluses into deficits.

You people are stupid beyond belief.

BH you do not know me from a bar of soap and the same goes with my knowledge of you, barring what I read on this forum so lets not get personal. I do not know Jeff from a bar of soap either but I know a lot of politicians and although I vote Liberal I trust none of them, have worked with many of them over the years and see through a lot of them, but they are a necessary evil.

All I know is whatever Jeff's or other candidates faults I will see what they bring to the table before I declare who my preferred choice is. Jeff has plenty of positives and there are also possible pitfalls if he comes on board, but IMO we would be foolish not to listen if his intentions are genuine

no, anything to get a Training Facility & Social Hub started... you helped me realise that we need to be outside the 'G' so we can not only watch training,, but also for after matches,, & watching Interstate games there.

.. so Richmond it needs to be... I take it you wouldn't attend by your tone?

I think years ago some were looking at the caulfield racecourse to setup a football training venture & social centre.

But that was way before the Olympic Park precinct presented itself around the time of the Gabriel Zondy - Paul Gardiner Boards... we lacked Entrepreneurs.

I sense you don not think we can win back more grass roots supporters with a Social Facility at our training ground.... but its the grass roots end of our supporter base which isn't growing, no?

DL if you wish a social Hub facility set it up in the CBD near the Town Hall. Everybody can get there.

We are Melbourne.

DL if you wish a social Hub facility set it up in the CBD near the Town Hall. Everybody can get there.

We are Melbourne.

nup, I don't think so, we can't train in Swanston St & its too close to Etihad for comfort... we play @ the 'G', & we train just over the train-line, & thats where the Social Hub & Offices should be,, overlooking the training ground, & only a 70mtr stroll, across the road to the Richmond Station...

we missed the boat @ the Olympic building,,, so the key should be, to be able to watch training from the Lounge & Offices...

Big bad Ben,

When you sell a public asset and use that money to "balance the books", the asset never comes back.

Jeffs fire sales of prime city real estate took assets, sold them and then counted it as revenue.

Knight Frank Baillieu did well from it.

The constituents not so well.

and you want him at the MFC.

• Like 3

It's a lot easier to have a surplus when you're not spending it at all. If you take it out of places like the education system and the health system, it's very easy. We then end up with a mind-numblingly stupid, conservative populous and a third world health 'infrastructure'. There's more to life than simple economics. This is the fundamental problem with the Liberals. It's their only card. They also claimed we'd never have profits under Swan, but what do you know. Still 21 years straight of economic rise in this country. Granted it takes plundering the earth, but it'll be the same when that fundamentalist Christian gets into power too.

RE: the OP. The more I think about it, the more I believe Kennett isn't the right man to fill the next incumbency. We need stability first. That will hopefully be Peter Jackson and his organisational structures. We then need a President that can sell/echo his CEO's messages, without conflicting ego. I don't think Kennett can do this. I wouldn't write him off in the future though.

• Like 1

It's a lot easier to have a surplus when you're not spending it at all. If you take it out of places like the education system and the health system, it's very easy. We then end up with a mind-numblingly stupid, conservative populous and a third world health 'infrastructure'. There's more to life than simple economics. This is the fundamental problem with the Liberals. It's their only card. They also claimed we'd never have profits under Swan, but what do you know. Still 21 years straight of economic rise in this country. Granted it takes plundering the earth, but it'll be the same when that fundamentalist Christian gets into power too.

RE: the OP. The more I think about it, the more I believe Kennett isn't the right man to fill the next incumbency. We need stability first. That will hopefully be Peter Jackson and his organisational structures. We then need a President that can sell/echo his CEO's messages, without conflicting ego. I don't think Kennett can do this. I wouldn't write him off in the future though.

... we may already have the future president in our ranks, but the timing may Not B right, just Yet !!!

lets just let the dust settle & get some stability, before the jerks raise their knees.

just imagine, Rhino & Fan on the Board with Jeffry & 2 Yes men... LoL.... :wacko:

He advocated Hawthorn should merge with us in 1996 but that didn't stop the Hawks from having him as President.

Yeah but he wasn't becoming Hawthorn prez when they were at their absolute lowest ebb with mergers and extinction not completely out of the question. And even if you completely strike out that part of my argument we're still talking about him presiding over Melbourne, not Hawthorn.

Anyway I reckon a lot of people are missing the point. He's arrogant, ******* arrogant, yeah. Loves the sound of his own voice, yeah. But that could be great! We could do with someone who'll stand up for us and the cause. Like Eddie for Collingwood. A figurehead, a take no prisoners administrator, etc. Everyone who's saying "but we could definitely do with someone who can do these things" and that "serious change is potentially needed", I agree. And Jeff's personality and experience is appealing in that sense.

BUT (and it's a ******* MASSIVE but)... the problem is he won't give a flying **** if he ***** up! He doesn't give two shits about us, deep down, and anyone who's been paying even the bare minimum of attention these last few years would know that's the truth. If we ever went under, when the dust had settled he wouldn't even give a [censored]. Combine that with his arrogance/personality (the difference between someone like Jackson and him) and it's kind of dangerous stuff

BUT (and it's a ******* MASSIVE but)... the problem is he won't give a flying **** if he ***** up! He doesn't give two shits about us, deep down, and anyone who's been paying even the bare minimum of attention these last few years would know that's the truth. If we ever went under, when the dust had settled he wouldn't even give a [censored]. Combine that with his arrogance/personality (the difference between someone like Jackson and him) and it's kind of dangerous stuff

This is my concern on a Jeff ticket too. He is ruthless, and doesn't care about the supporters of this club at all. If he has to screw us to get the job done he will. Move to tassie? Why not? If we were to get a good deal out of it he'd be all for it.

I cannot believe that you guys are all arguing about Jeff's performance as a premier. Although I am one of those that consider he did a good job as Premier, it was over a decade ago. What about his more recent role as head of Beyond Blue? Nobody is criticising his commitment to that and what he achieved! I say bring him on!

• Like 2

This attitude is really starting to jack me off! We are a basket case and not in a position to tell people to F off.

A lot of MFC supporters are just P/Weak and dust collectors who are against change. FFS serious change is needed here.

I'm not against change. Far from it. I'm against Jeff unless you can't distinguish between the two. I get people want someone of Jeff's capabilities but he is a total [censored] who has advocated our club be shifted. If you want to pack your lot in with someone like that you can nick off as well.

But I don't see a conga line of ready made Directors and potential Presidents standing up making a case.

That said I would have Don anyday over Jeff. Lets find a diehard Demon that has qualities we need.

Any member on this site who supports Jeff for President can and hand in their membership and close the door on the way out. I will not accept a Hawthorn supporter who advocates we relocate and or merge as President regardless of my personal opinion on Jeff and the skills he may or may not bring he is not wanted by me and I think the majority of dedicated passionate demons.

If you want and example of this clubs culture problems that people have ranted about then you should have a good hard look at yourselves. Can you imagine Essendon fans or Collingwood fans supporting a Carlton supporter as their President?

For all of McLardys possible errors or faults and am not convinced there have been that many he loves this club and feels our pain and I would keep him everyday rather than a Hawthorn person.

• Like 3

I dont think Kennett is right but I pose the question - is it that more and more the Presidency of football clubs is either the domain of celebrities or of financial titans and perhaps McLardy is neither?

The celebrity President - Eddie / JB is great for fundraising, promotion, sponsorshp membership perhaps even recruitment - creating momentum

The financial titan - brings strong governance, adminstrative structure, economic disciplines and coterie (influential and affluential)

Kennett was somewhat in between celebrity and financial titan given his background in advertising and his Premiership of the state he had elements of both celebrity and financial titan.