Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Kennett future MelbourneFC President?

Satan

Right now, we have the footy club in way too many different camps: those who were with the playing group during the reign of Schwab and those who were mates of the CEO, those who were pro-merger or anti-merger, those who were with Gutnick and those who were not. Some might think that those last two are old hat but I can guarantee there are those in the club who still hold enmities over these old battles. There needs to be some reconciliation between these groups and I think a bloke who once offered to sleep with the female contestants of a Greek beauty pageant and who was caught on a mobile phone describing a conversation with John Howard that was far from harmonious might not have the people skills to smooth over these personality clashes.

100% agree here , we need to Unite , I am already on record of my position back with the merger and we need to move on, its now part our our HISTORY 17 years ago

we need to be back as one football club

whether Jeff can do this on I dont know

• Like 1

Yes. Richard Colless has been President of Sydney for nearly 20 years and seen two flags. He was the inaugural President at West Coast.

thankyou I had forgotten his time at WC

Blame the Greens and Labor's desal plant for your cost of living, smart guy.

How funny. You have no problem with the Government that bankrupted the state, but are critical of the one that dragged it up again. There should be a tax on stupidity.

I won't respond further. Stick to the footy.

you clearly don't have a clue, jump from one era to another so yes we will stick to footy.

We need a big personality at the club; coach, CEO, president, champion senior player, to promote and raise a positive profile of the club. I argue we have none of these. Malthouse, could have done this, so could have Judd, maybe PJ will do this, but I have no doubt, that Jeff would definitely be able to do this for the club.

Only problem, could we stand his gloating when we win the flag!

I say, YES!

He would merge us at the first chance.

Kennett's record of selling everything to the highest bidder should make every Melbourne supporter very scared. If he nominates, I will be at the meeting to vote against him!!!!

• Like 1

100% agree here , we need to Unite , I am already on record of my position back with the merger and we need to move on, its now part our our HISTORY 17 years ago

we need to be back as one football club

whether Jeff can do this on I dont know

I think that's the problem though mark. I don't think he can. If he was coming to a club whose only problem was that they were satisfied with mediocrity (which we are) but everyone was basically at peace with one another, then he might be a good candidate. In that case, all we would need is a rattling of some cages. Unfortunately, there are too many people at each other's throats and we need a peacemaker, not a fire starter.

I think that's the problem though mark. I don't think he can. If he was coming to a club whose only problem was that they were satisfied with mediocrity (which we are) but everyone was basically at peace with one another, then he might be a good candidate. In that case, all we would need is a rattling of some cages. Unfortunately, there are too many people at each other's throats and we need a peacemaker, not a fire starter.

I have always hoped we would get over all the infighting and sometimes wonder what might have been back in 1996 but seems there will always be people that want to bring the club down and are never happy unless we are fighting , I had a staff member like this and he was only ever happy when he caused problems . was very good at his job but loved it when no one was getting on. it has taken me a few years to get other techs as good as him but everyone gets on and we have a much happier work place and way more productive

Kennett is a typical money-grabbing Liberal. As long as the private sector is seen to be booming, who gives a toss about the rest. He closed down copious public schools and hospitals. Opened up Crown, what irony, given his later position at Beyond Blue and brought the mind-numbingly dull Grand Prix with its environmental and noise pollution to our door steps. Seemingly a [censored] of a guy. But if you can look past all his moral breaches and money grabbing, he's an extremely successful business person. Not only this, he's also overseen a football club who has prospered amazingly and won a flag in his time at the helm. Right now I couldn't give a toss who takes over our presidency. If Kennett's heart is in it, get him. I will however flag I do hold some trepidation, given his past stance on the MFC and mergers.

• Like 1

You have to love Melbourne supporters. The club is a basket case. It's seen no success for 50 years. It has an opportunity to have an achiever take over and give it a chance to become relevant. But no, it seems some don't like his personality. Some of you lot deserve the crap you witness each week.

As for merging ? He's already stated that Melbourne is a strong brand and I believe he retracted those comments years ago. CLEARLY, if he wants to become Chairman it's to have the club become a success in its own right. Even his ego would love that challenge.

It's bloody great scenario.

I don't like his politics but I'm happy to leave that for others to debate.

I'm open minded about him as Chairman. As has been noted; he's a high achiever, he has a track record of good governance and he is passionate & visionary. He ticks a lot of boxes for a prospective Melbourne Chairman.

That said I have concerns with his personality - does he have the emotional intelligence to be our chairman? Our club is in a fragile state - do we need another massive ego to come in (ala Neeld) with a my way or the highway attitude? Our current lot is that we are relying on the AFL - can he resist the temptation to run his mouth at city hall? Our next coaching appointment could be the defining moment in the club's history we must get the best coach available (or not) -will prospective coaches look at the JK/AC relationship and find a chairman who so openly and reactively bags his coach a turn off?

Our club is at a critical juncture in its history - we're virtually playing Russian Roulette with only one empty round in the chamber. We can't afford to be closed minded about anything in ensuring our survival.

• Like 3

I think Rangey needs to do a Poll.

I just want to know how many D'Landers would actually vote for the king of all P**ks to become President.

I am bewildered.

I would vote yes. I don't care for politics. All I know is politics make for good Rage Against The Machine material and Jeff has the runs on the board as a President of a successful club. In case anyone doesn't know we are a [censored] hole of a footy club and need change.

• Like 1

Agree - he is a [censored].

But he is a successful [censored]. Yes, it is success in some ways and horrible failures in others. And I don't want success at ANY price.

Ian Dicker may have done a great job but the Hawks would not have won a flag without Jeff's leadership.

He achieves results. I want some results. I want a flag.

I will admit there are probably better candidates than Jeff - but he is the best to present so far.

I don't agree with that at all, they may have won more with Dicker.

Jeff has no passion for Melbourne whatsoever. Loves the publicity and without hesitation merge the club or a move interstate. Wake up!!

In all honesty I doubt this has legs, but let's face it, we've had a lot of "passionate" people on our Board, but it hasn't counted for much, has it ?

And in the main, most Board members I've come across haven't had the footy acumen of many on here.

• Like 2

In all honesty I doubt this has legs, but let's face it, we've had a lot of "passionate" people on our Board, but it hasn't counted for much, has it ?

And in the main, most Board members I've come across haven't had the footy acumen of many on here.

Now that I agree with you about the board members.

Im not really sure about this one.

This board doesn't inspire. the club really needs to remind people that this club has won 12 premierships and was a powerhouse.

The club has always had some strange administrations - the ones that sacked Norm (there was crying in the streets); the ones that told Hassa that they thought he was no good anymore so could leave; the one that moved us towards merger combined with a majority of members;

Melbourne needs an Eddie Maguire - love him or hate him he doesn't take any crap and he vigorously supports the clubs position in all things. For years every member of the football media fraternity has taken constant pot shots at MFC - listen to Venom tomorrow morning and we will be a rabble and a joke. I have always defended the club but sometimes your belief wavers in the administration and the footy department - our development of players has been a joke afterall.

Providing I was certain that this new ticket had our bests interests at heart - was manned by diehard demons that wouldn't let Jeff go off on weird tangents and allowed Jeff to concentrate on accountability and governance - two areas where we have struggled it seems - then I don't think im against the prospect potentially.

Don is a nice guy there is no doubt but he comes across as a bit laid back or stressed.

• Like 1

Agree - he is a [censored].

But he is a successful [censored]. Yes, it is success in some ways and horrible failures in others. And I don't want success at ANY price.

Ian Dicker may have done a great job but the Hawks would not have won a flag without Jeff's leadership.

He achieves results. I want some results. I want a flag.

I will admit there are probably better candidates than Jeff - but he is the best to present so far.

I find it funny how you could write that let alone believe it

• Like 2

To reiterate a point - if the ticket was a combination of people who would not sell out the club to a merger and allowed jeff a mandate for accountability and governance I think the idea sounds ok... Jeff didn't ruin Hawthorn - quite the opposite.

Apparently Beyond Blue asked him to do it because there were too many MFC supporters bothering them?

You should thank the Liberal Party for the country you live in. Imagine if there were 4 year terms. It doesn't bare thinking about.

You mean the same Liberal party that was responsible for the Great Australian Lockout?

Massive increase of our foreign debt?

Children Overboard?

Tampa Boat Crisis and breach of international law?

Privatising Qanatas/Telecom who's service has gone backwards?

I could go on further but this is a discussion about football so I wont.

• Like 4

I for one would think it an absolute disgrace if Jeff Kennett came anywhere near our club.

Jeff is absolutely delusional if he thinks he will have the support from our members, considering how disrespectful he has been toward Melbourne over the last 5 years (don't even get me started on the merger suggestions after everything we have all learnt about mergers).

His words this year about Clarkson were completely inappropriate and extremely destructive. He runs around screaming and runs over everyone on the way through. Hawthorns success can be credited to a lot of people other than Kennett (Dicker, Clarkson, Fagan, Fox etc). "Hawthorn have a mental edge over Geelong" - he is a loud mouth dictator who puts his foot in it.

He is a divisive and abrasive person and that is exactly what we don't need at Melbourne right now. We can't afford to have someone come in and offend the employees and players.

I don't care what he did as Premier or at Hawthorn. Hawthorn was in a completely different position than Melbourne at the time of his presidency.

It would be an unmitigated disaster.

• Like 3

I know this is off the topic, but it might be worth while watching...Chris Dawes is on the footy show tonight.

I only posted it because I reckon it's the first time this year that I have seen a melb player being on a footy show....SAD I know!

• Like 1