Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Kennett future MelbourneFC President?

Satan

If you read the headline from the AFL ("Kennett considers Melbourne presidency") you'll see his agenda is simply to big note himself by implying the Presidency of the MFC was his for the taking should he be bothered taking us poor saps on...

There are actual Melbourne Supporting people capable of improving our club, we simply need to find and support them.

The article was written by Matt Thompson so be aware of that...

But yes if Jeff is serious i expect to see him signed up as a member with scarf on monday!

• Like 1

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/melbourne/news/2013-06-06/mclardy-hits-back-at-kennett-comments.workstation

McLardy hits back at Kennett comments

By melbournefc.com.au1:59pm AEST Thursday, June 6, 2013

MELBOURNE President Don McLardy has responded to comments made by former Hawthorn President Jeff Kennett, who said he would consider standing for the Melbourne Presidency.

Kennett told 3AW’s Neil Mitchell program on Thursday morning that “there [are] Melbourne members out there who have approached me in the last few weeks [and] who have asked me would I be a part of a group to stand against the incumbent board”.

In response, McLardy said that Kennett’s views, particularly those from the past, did not reflect the members of the Melbourne Football Club.

“Over the last few years Jeff has been very vocal in his thoughts on our Club. His suggestions for our Club have included merging with North Melbourne and moving to the Gold Coast. We don’t believe Jeff’s views on our Club align with our members,” he said.

McLardy said he would look forward to updating members and supporters at Monday’s Queen’s Birthday game against Collingwood at the MCG with more information on our Club’s plans moving forward.

Is that it? Typical of McLardy, doesn't get his back up over anything, even the future of his own position. Wish we had someone a bit more strongly spoken.

• Like 1

Two things are ABUNDANTLY clear. Kennett should not be our President. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to sell me some of what they are smoking.... We would be his plaything, his ego stroke.

The second thing is that McLardy's presidency is untenable.

On the second issue, he knows it, and my info is that an announcement of his resignation for Freeman was already put off once because of the CS/PJ issue, but it is coming in a matter of weeks.

Hawthorn's success was all via the groundwork of Ian Dicker.

All Jeff ever did was get his head (and crappy jacket) on TV as often as possible.

Oh .. and get the coach off side.

Interestingly I had heard that if Jeff was staying, Clarkson wasn't.

Neil Mitchell (who I believe is a MFC supporter) has been running an agenda on the board for a while, but lacks the kahonas to put his own name forward.

Like so many Melb people in the media (Lyon, Swartz, Mitchell) they are happy to take pot shots but unable to commit like Eddie or whats his name from North.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 2

Neil Mitchell (who I believe is a MFC supporter) has been running an agenda on the board for a while, but lacks the kahonas to put his own name forward.

Like so many Melb people in the media (Lyon, Swartz, Mitchell) they are happy to take pot shots but unable to commit like Eddie or whats his name from North.

Well bloody said, what I have been saying, let them put up or shut the [censored] up

Those members who have personal dislikes of Kennetts political views need to put these to one side. Kennett is a rare beast who knows what to do and how to do it. He would bring unimaginable press coverage and interest to our club which would result in a much higher profile club. This in turn would result in higher sponsorship, better attendances, more members, player interest and success. He has a track record of making basket cases into success stories. Love him or hate him, the turn around in this states finances and economy while he was Premier was simply incredible. At the time Victoria around the world was known as "the economic miracle". Likewise he went in as Hawthorn President at a time that Hawthorn was considered a basket case financially with on-field weakness and turned it into a powerhouse. Simply Kennett would be the best possible candidate for President of the MFC.

I have lost all hope with the current board. Their failure to fire Neeld, and except the tanking fine sums up their inept ability. The pathway they have put us on has brought us to our knees. There is more to a football club than just "Debt Demolition" which is their ONLY success.

If there was to be a competing ticket for the board led by Jeff Kennett I would pin back my ears and campaign free of charge, member to member convincing them to vote for this ticket. It would indeed be a godsend.

Go for it Jeff!!!

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 5

I'd say why not.

He is a strong minded, strongly spoken public figure and although he is often outspoken, at least he makes himself heard.

People keep harping on about what he did to the state of Victoria but this is a football club, and there is a difference. The Hawks won a flag under his tenure and remain one of the strongest, if not the strongest club in the league. He wouldn't settle for anything aside from success and is a much better option than McLardy, who seems to have lost any kind of conviction or voice a long time ago.

Definitely worth a go.

• Like 3

Is that it? Typical of McLardy, doesn't get his back up over anything, even the future of his own position. Wish we had someone a bit more strongly spoken.

I'd be careful what you wish for there Django. I don't think Don should be getting his back up everytime someone takes a dig at our club. If he did he would be paying a lot of his hard earned towards chiros. He knows the dire situation and the last thing we want is him out in the media firing back at everyone looking like is losing his control.

Firstly, I really think most people completely under value the work Ian Dicker did prior.

Jeff definitely would be in the field of a 'strongly spoken' individual but I still believe he is just being an attention seeker here. Most Hawthorn supporters never took to him and he was continually in the media for the wrong reasons. Even players had to cover for him at times when he ran his mouth (remember when he compared homosexuals to paedohiles or something alike).

Also, Jeff's position was made a great deal easier by the football team himself. Just prior to him becoming president Hawthorn had already bottomed out and received some absolute superstars via prior drafts in Hodge, Mitchell, Birchall and Roughead.

His job was made even easier when arguably one of the most exciting players of all time in Franklin arrived which straight away added another 20,000 bums on seats and set up supporters for another generation.

Unfortunately our bottoming out didn't net the same results.

• Like 1

lol

What a horrendous thing to even contemplate, let alone support. How many times has he gone on record berating the club, calling for mergers etc, Publicly smashes Clarkson after a loss, then apologises, putting it down to just venting "like a supporter". This amongst all the other garbled nonsense that comes out of his mouth these days. Sure, let's give that guy the keys.

Agree. This has some serious undertones to me.

A non MFC supporting Board that merges us or leaves Victoria in line with maybe an AFL direction, could be catastrophic.

I could probably live with Jeff as a non voting Chairman in some form, as long as all of the necessary safeguards were in place, that would stop any major change that would be against the interests of the members.

FWIW he is not even a member and may be ineligible as a result.

One other little matter, what if he can't get on with PJ, that alone could be catastrophic.

No, there are other people who support the club that would be available and apparently Freeman has been brought on board for that purpose.

I would pass on this one. Self promotion if you ask me, or some hidden agenda.

• Like 1

I'd be careful what you wish for there Django. I don't think Don should be getting his back up everytime someone takes a dig at our club. If he did he would be paying a lot of his hard earned towards chiros. He knows the dire situation and the last thing we want is him out in the media firing back at everyone looking like is losing his control.

Firstly, I really think most people completely under value the work Ian Dicker did prior.

Jeff definitely would be in the field of a 'strongly spoken' individual but I still believe he is just being an attention seeker here. Most Hawthorn supporters never took to him and he was continually in the media for the wrong reasons. Even players had to cover for him at times when he ran his mouth (remember when he compared homosexuals to paedohiles or something alike).

Also, Jeff's position was made a great deal easier by the football team himself. Just prior to him becoming president Hawthorn had already bottomed out and received some absolute superstars via prior drafts in Hodge, Mitchell, Birchall and Roughead.

His job was made even easier when arguably one of the most exciting players of all time in Franklin arrived which straight away added another 20,000 bums on seats and set up supporters for another generation.

Unfortunately our bottoming out didn't net the same results.

I don't track his every comment but I'm yet to really see Don fire up and defend himself or the club in more than an apologetic way and it's kind of pathetic. If he has, I haven't seen it.

Early days. Would like to see the make up of the ticket first. Would need some quality "football" savvy/experienced club people with him in order to bring some common sense/smart football decisions and direction to the club.

This board is difficient in that it doesn't speak openly or forthrightly to it's members and prefers to skirt around all the major issues, run and hide in the corners of the Green room and just throw out a few morsels to the members once in a while hoping this will keep the masses quiet. And not just this board. Been that way for decades now. Gardner was a little more out there in terms of representing but IMO never really stood up passionately for the club. Szondy...hmmm.

While McLardy might be a nice bloke, he rarely steps up and represents on any issue nor does he defend us (or Neeld) when we/he are being potted pillar to post by every media scribe in the country. I cant recall the last time i heard McLardy front the media outside of a Melbourne presser. McLardy is no leader. There's no other "Melbourne" led ticket in the wings that I'm aware of.

After 49 years of under performance I say bring it on. I'm all ears!

• Like 4

Jeff Kennett was not the person who restored Hawthorns financial position. as note it was Ian Dicker with lot of his own money. Jeff came in on the back of Dickers long and sustained efforts, including the transition to Waverley so not the achiever some her crediting him for.

Remember the AFL approched MFC and tried to entice us with $6m carrot to take over Hawthorn which was so broke they could not pay playars and went to AFL to toss in the towel! Kennett has always bragged about how was against the merger.

As previously a Hawthorn Pres and high profile spokesman is is clearly not suitable as potential Chairman of MFC. If he is put up and gets up it could only be with AFL's backing and in that case we will be in the reverse position to 1996 - with MFC the basketcase this time. Result will be that another club perhaps Hawthorn will swallow up MFC.

Jeff Kennett is not a unifying person and was divisive as Pres of Hawks. Ask Al Clarkson. Also he is not at all the sort of person who MFC members would regard well as president.

If he gets up would only confirm the club I have supported all my life (almost) 60 years will have died

• Like 2

Don McLardy isn't fit to carry Jeff Kennett's dirty jocks. As per usual with Don he's very quick to get on the defensive - already released a statement about Jeff's comments. Would have thought he'd be a bit busy to respond and so quickly at that...... Oh Don walk away for the love of God!!!

Don McLardy isn't fit to carry Jeff Kennett's dirty jocks. As per usual with Don he's very quick to get on the defensive - already released a statement about Jeff's comments. Would have thought he'd be a bit busy to respond and so quickly at that...... Oh Don walk away for the love of God!!!

That's very funny, one poster slams Don for not responding and another slams him for responding. Love Demonland.

• Like 3

That's very funny, one poster slams Don for not responding and another slams him for responding. Love Demonland.

It's called people having a difference of opinions - we're not robots and we don't all think the same. Were you expecting all of us to be in agreeance on the topic? Pft......

He would merge us on a whim. I would not continue my membership.

Just who would he merge us with? Casey? We could do a lot worse then merging with the Suns (and playing all our home games at the "G")! If it happened your membership would be inconsequential if we had 60,000 members!

It's called people having a difference of opinions - we're not robots and we don't all think the same. Were you expecting all of us to be in agreeance on the topic? Pft......

Trust me I am used to different opinions, I read Demonland.

• Like 1

Listening to Kennett in the YouTube video, I agree with most of what he says. But then I remember the big noting 'I've been approached!' and his past and I realize this is a bad idea in jeans and yet another of the cheap gimmicks this club has been renowned for.

Don may not like the comments Jeffrey said, but the bottom line is Don your record from the past 6 years is totally abysmal sadly.

If Jeffrey has a strong ticket waiting in the wings the supporters will welcome it i have no doubt.

• Like 2

Hawthorn's success was all via the groundwork of Ian Dicker.

All Jeff ever did was get his head (and crappy jacket) on TV as often as possible.

Oh .. and get the coach off side.

Interestingly I had heard that if Jeff was staying, Clarkson wasn't.

Or another idea, reinstate Kennett at Hawthorn and send us Clarkson!