Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC board meeting - 12 PM

What

Umm, it is the media. Nothing new with that sort of behaviour. Just have to suck it up and get on with it. Maybe some in the media know something we don't. Ever heard of "leaking"?

Yes it is. This didn't happen 15 years ago. Media is different from journalism. There is virtually no such thing as journalism these days, it's about sound bites, quick scoops, headlines, and advertising revenue.

To make money they need as many web site hits as possible. To get web site hits they need to whip up a storm about everything whether it needs one or not. There are so many media outlets competing they need to our do each other to get the hits etc.

It isn't the way it's always been.

Well Damien Barrett has made the big calls...He knows the Sound Grab world...

1. Neeld Gone

2. Mclardy Steps down

3 Peter Jackson full time

Big Calls Barrett in one day

Couldn't all happen in one day. The club can't handle the instability that'd cause imo.

Yes it is. This didn't happen 15 years ago. Media is different from journalism. There is virtually no such thing as journalism these days, it's about sound bites, quick scoops, headlines, and advertising revenue.

To make money they need as many web site hits as possible. To get web site hits they need to whip up a storm about everything whether it needs one or not. There are so many media outlets competing they need to our do each other to get the hits etc.

It isn't the way it's always been.

Right on every count, but neither you nor I will change it. Time to move on.

Seems to be mixed opinions of this board meeting:

7am: Here we are at a decisive Monday for the Melbourne Football Club. Coach Mark Neeld is set to face his board at 2pm Melbourne time after yesterday's 95-point shellacking at the hands of Hawthorn. After the loss, Neeld again said his job was not in jeopardy but the external pressure continues to build. Demons president Don McLardy yesterday said that significant change was coming to the club but did not go into specifics. Neeld has just a 15.62 winning percentage as coach since taking over at the start of last year, but the coach is adamant the club is on the right path under his tutelage and the results were to be expected. While not good reading for Neeld, here's some further stats which may be brought up at today's board meeting:

- 32 games coached for 5 wins, 27 losses

- Only teams beaten are GWS (three times), Gold Coast and Essendon (six points)

- Lost 13 games by more than 60 points (and 16 by more than 50)

- Lost three games by more than 100 (and six by more than 90)

Average losing margin in 2012: 50.7

Average losing margin in 2013: 76.6

Average losing margin under Neeld: 63.65 points

7.30am: AFL.com.au's Peter Ryan has identified the five key questions the Melbourne board must consider:
1) Have Neeld's changes been good for the club?
2) Is the Demons' recruiting in good hands?
3) Does the board share Neeld's belief that the club's long-term goals are on track?
4) Is Neeld the man for the job?
5) Can the club weather the fallout if Neeld is retained?

8am: AFL great Robert Walls has weighed into the Neeld debate on SEN Radio

"If the board feel … (it) is falling away and disenchanted, they (will) probably feel compelled to make a move on Mark Neeld. But if they feel that the sponsors will stick fat, (and) the members say, 'We'll support you to the end of the year,' and the players aren’t dead-set against the coach, they might just say, 'Well, we just battle on for the remaining 12 games.'

"If they sack Mark Neeld, a prospective coach would look at them and say, 'Well, they've sacked Dean Bailey, they've sacked Mark Neeld, they've sacked (former CEO) Cameron Schwab, they've sacked this one (and) that one; I don’t know if I'd want to go into that environment.

"I think if they did go for another coach, why wouldn’t you look at Rodney Eade or (Mark) 'Choco' Williams? Because I think they need to have someone who’s got some credits, who's been there and done it … and are still in the game, still at the workface, and Eade and Williams tick that off."

8.15am: AFL.com.au's Matt Thompson is at Demons headquarters and says a media contingent has been covering multiple entrances to AAMI Park since before sunrise.

8.30am: Football manager Josh Mahoney has arrived at AAMI Park, when asked by reporters whether Neeld would survive he said it was a case of 'wait and see'.

9am: Mark Neeld has arrived in club gear at Melbourne's AAMI Park headquarters. He drove through a boom gate and entered via a back door. Venue security prevented media from getting close enough for him to answer questions.

10am: Demons president Don McLardy has arrived at AAMI Park, but has declined to comment on whether the coach's fate would be decided at today's board meeting.

"It's a board meeting, mate; it's been scheduled all year," he told AFL.com.au reporter Matt Thompson.

"No other expectations."

11am: Potential caretaker coach Neil Craig has just arrived at AAMI Park and was swamped by news crews, reports AFL.com.au's Matt Thompson. He politely declined questions, referring reporters to the club's media manager.

A young Demon just confirmed that the players have no Idea if Mark Neeld will still be coaching at the end of the day.

Midday: The board meeting is due to start now at the MCG. Neeld scheduled to front the meeting at 2pm.

If the Dogs had lost their past two games Brendan McCartney's coaching record would be identical to Neeld's (5-26) #AFL
The weak decision today would be to sack coach Mark Neeld. Would be a choice to placate a few members. Nothing more. #melbfc #afl
Footy starts and ends in the middle. Melbourne have no midfielders. No coach can win games worth no midfielders. What is Neeld to do?

If true, I find the 8.30 comment by the Footy Manager, amazing.

If true, I find the 8.30 comment by the Footy Manager, amazing.

Comes across as pretty unprofessional if something is happening with Neeld. Shouldn't he have just said 'no comment'?

Because our team is performing badly and it pains me to see where we are heading at this time, i doesn't stop me from watching and why should it ?? I have been watching MFC play for over fifty years through some good and mostly bad times and I do not intend deserting them now. Come up with something constructive and I may give it more time but "why do you watch" doesn't deserve any more attention..

That's the whole point. you watch and then come on here and just whinge and whine, why put yourself through it, as I have said before it doesn't matter whether you have supported the team for 5 minutes or 50 years, if you don't enjoy it why bother, it hints at latent masochism........a lot of posters don't whine and whinge on here, they offer constructive thought, there is a group on here that is just "sack everybody we are crap"

Well Damien Barrett has made the big calls...He knows the Sound Grab world...

1. Neeld Gone

2. Mclardy Steps down

3 Peter Jackson full time

Big Calls Barrett in one day

That is nothing but all about Barrett, the media person, I won't call him a journalist, has become the story

Edited by Satyriconhome

Comes across as pretty unprofessional if something is happening with Neeld. Shouldn't he have just said 'no comment'?

Yep a simple "no comment" would have been much more professional. A "you'll have to wait and see" amounts to the same thing but could be pressed better to avoid scrutiny.

I wonder if this is a symptom of the pressure being felt by the football department.

I have been a little on the fence with Neeld, sort of of the opinion that the players needed to take more responsibility and Neeld needed some more time, but geez when you read the following then it really hits home how terrible it has been!!!

• Like 1

I hope that the board takes time to reflect on PJ's report.

I assume he will have made recommendations which the board having pre read should ask questions and rubber stamp, there should be NO surprises at the meeting today. Very pleased that for once we haven't leaked like a sieve.

If the coaching structure is wrong then board members should be first to stand down as they gave the OK for a "Rebuild on a rebuild." Hopefully PJ will agree to stay on until the mess starts to sort itself out. Restructure FD and make decision on coaching by round 18 unless there are key personel who will not sign on for the future. The most important item I want the board to tend to is to ratify offering contracts of variable and suitable lengths to Watt's, Sylvia, Davey and other players deemed essential to us moving forward. The coach may or may not survive this year but a clear replacement plan is essential if a caretaker is installed (which I doubt).

Note I saw Don and Russel Howcroft after the game yesterday and both were jovial and smiling. I certainly had no reason to share their mirth.

Note I saw Don and Russel Howcroft after the game yesterday and both were jovial and smiling. I certainly had no reason to share their mirth.

Maybe they were laughing at what Russell was wearing......

I spoke to Don and he seemed like he always is, vanilla.

I have been a little on the fence with Neeld, sort of of the opinion that the players needed to take more responsibility and Neeld needed some more time, but geez when you read the following then it really hits home how terrible it has been!!!

You have highlighted the key point here. It is not the number of losses it is the number of big losses. 50% of Neeld games we have lost by 8 goals or greater. That is the damning bit.

• Like 1

Sun just reported that Neeld has claimed his job is safe. Nothing in that really, essentially no news yet.

Have the players been interviewed by PJ to see how they feel about MN? The media keep saying that he has lost the players and the the big names won't re-sign if he stays.

Didn't he claim that in the presser last night?? Are you sure that's a recent statement and not the one from last night?

Maybe they were laughing at what Russell was wearing......

I spoke to Don and he seemed like he always is, vanilla.

So when you walk into a room, your charisma floors everybody else?

Vanilla?

I would be the same when approached by any supporter at the moment.

This is a guy who does a job voluntarily that has thrown one time bomb after another for the last 12 months

Have the players been interviewed by PJ to see how they feel about MN? The media keep saying that he has lost the players and the the big names won't re-sign if he stays.

No Peter Jackson has been sitiing in his office with the door closed, just reading the Herald Sun and listening to SEN