Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

Jack Watts put in hard a few times and learnt that if you go in hard you don't get hurt.

This could be his come out game.

Controversial!!

• Like 3

Get on with it MFC

Bottom line is this is just not working for Neeld.....

Make the change as the brand is damaged, players confidence is shot!

Need to sell a new message of hope to keep sponsors,members & stop player exodus

For goodness sake MFC target a premiership coach, a coach to help mend the damaged confidence,replace these young captains to allow them to concentrate on becoming good players first!

Target free agency on midfielders as we have nothing!

Get the best payer development team to ensure our young players are developed right regardless if they are pick 1 or 70!

\

Dont ask for a priority pick.....work hard on developing no easer short cuts!

• Like 1

Food for thought:

FB: Evans McDonald Terlich

HB: Garland Frawley Kent

C: M Jones Grimes Sylvia

HF: Howe Dawes Watts

FF: Clark Hogan Davey

R: Gawn N Jones Viney

I: Trengove Strauss Taggert Toumpas

Absent from today's 'team' - Rodan, MacDonald, McKenzie, Fitzpatrick, Dunn, Bail, Tapscott, Jamar, Pedersen. In other words, the under-performing duds.

Obviously we're not going to have Clark or Grimes for a lot of 2013, nor Hogan at all, but give the majority of this team as much game time as possible, and ignore the duds, and maybe we'll get somewhere in 2014.

Maybe.

Edited by titan_uranus

Very interesting the way that Watts flies for contested marks. He has a very clever 'steal' action where he twists and snatches the ball away from defenders. if that could be developed he could still be an unorthodox but effective marking forward. A very accurate shot on goal, the best we have had since early-Brad Green.

Very much a confidence issue, that 's why i support the guys who high five efforts which still miss, such as Rodan's.

• Like 2

Very interesting the way that Watts flies for contested marks. He has a very clever 'steal' action where he twists and snatches the ball away from defenders. if that could be developed he could still be an unorthodox but effective marking forward. A very accurate shot on goal, the best we have had since early-Brad Green.

Very much a confidence issue, that 's why i support the guys who high five efforts which still miss, such as Rodan's.

People may laugh but I reckon Watts could be the best set shot in the AFL.

He is a strong mark also.

• Like 2

Our ruckman had 1 kick and 3 handballs for the second week in a row. Hale and Grimley had less hitouts but nearly 20 possies each and score as well. Most of Jamar's hitouts just hit the ground. That gives us a huge disadvantage in games.

Even rookie Fitzy who made mistakes, got some effective hitouts and also had about 15 possies and could have kicked 3 goals. He is more a chance to be our future than Jamar unfortunately.

I can see us having Gawn and Fitzy as our rucks next year with Clark helping out. With Hogan and Dawes in the side and maybe Watts up forward, we will be more versatile with Clark. Maybe it is Gawn and him as the rucks with Fitzy next in line.

• Like 3

On another note, every supercoach side in my league had Franklin captain.

Idiots!! Short memories as Garland has owned Franklin in the past and Frawley is the best backman in the comp.
Frawley got the job and didn't dissapoint, we just can't afford to lose Frawley, pay him what he wants and cut Sylvia is need be.

• Like 1

Our ruckman had 1 kick and 3 handballs for the second week in a row. Hale and Grimley had less hitouts but nearly 20 possies each and score as well. Most of Jamar's hitouts just hit the ground. That gives us a huge disadvantage in games.

Even rookie Fitzy who made mistakes, got some effective hitouts and also had about 15 possies and could have kicked 3 goals. He is more a chance to be our future than Jamar unfortunately.

I can see us having Gawn and Fitzy as our rucks next year with Clark helping out. With Hogan and Dawes in the side and maybe Watts up forward, we will be more versatile with Clark. Maybe it is Gawn and him as the rucks with Fitzy next in line.

I was critical about the club signing Jamar for 3 years, as A LOT of us were, but the fact of the matter is, Gawn is not quite ready yet, either is Fitz.

They aren't big enough, solid enough to handle the number 1 ruck position, especially boundry throw ins - where Jamar often out muscles his opposition rucks.

Jamar is giving our mids as good a use as we could ask for, agreed he doesn't do a lot around the ground, but without Jamar, we'd be getting monstered even more than we are.

Gawn will still take another year, he'll really threaten next year and in 2015, in Jamars last year, Gawn will be cherry ripe.

So, I am not as critical on Jamar anymore and maybe the club was right to sign him to a 3 year deal, because our developing rucks aren't ready.

I think he is one of the softest big men playing.

So let him play on the wing

I realize he is no Rod Grinter.

This is the day of the Peter Moore, Jim Stynes type ruck man. Grant Thomas was on to something when he said he didn't rate ruck men. I think Clark will be our best bet with Hogan coming in next year, he will be like having an extra mid and this is a big part of our midfield problem at the moment...we are one man down.

• Like 1

Magner would've helped us alot today. Such a frustrating omission.

The stats make for strange reading for a game we lost by 95 points. Won the tackle count pretty comfortably, won the hitouts, 329 possessions which isn't bad by 2012-13 standards at 73% DE, same as Hawthorn, and only minus 6 in clearances. Won enough of the ball, just succumbed to their defensive pressure too often. Too much hesitation to play on quickly, too many wrong decisions or simply lack of options, and the top teams will just squeeze until you cough it back up, which we did.

Clearly it's still nowhere near good enough at this level, but I saw a bit of the "combative" style Neeld has kept talking about today. If it's his last game, as it should be, it's not the worst one to sign out on. For decent periods, they were able to contain the best side in the competition.

• Like 2

And won't we all love it when Dawes takes 11 marks in a lead up CHF role, and when he bangs it 60 m to the top of the square, it will be Clark standing under it rather than Davey and Fitzpatrick.

Clarks recruitment has been an absolute failure , I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for his miraculous return, the guy never plays.

, I

• Like 1

Magner would've helped us alot today. Such a frustrating omission.

The stats make for strange reading for a game we lost by 95 points. Won the tackle count pretty comfortably, won the hitouts, 329 possessions which isn't bad by 2012-13 standards at 73% DE, same as Hawthorn, and only minus 6 in clearances. Won enough of the ball, just succumbed to their defensive pressure too often. Too much hesitation to play on quickly, too many wrong decisions or simply lack of options, and the top teams will just squeeze until you cough it back up, which we did.

Clearly it's still nowhere near good enough at this level, but I saw a bit of the "combative" style Neeld has kept talking about today. If it's his last game, as it should be, it's not the worst one to sign out on. For decent periods, they were able to contain the best side in the competition.

This is my point from earlier. We went toe to toe with them and for long periods broke even, but we never had the ascendancy and never hurt them on the scoreboard. They on the other hand took full advantage of any lapse on our part to score. I mad a sandwich at one stage and came back to find three goals had happened. The margin really does flatter them and says more about our poor F50 entries than it does about their domination.

Just want to ask a question.

When a care taker coach is appointed and lets say for argument sake its either Rawlings or Craig when does the club ask them if they want to do it?

I would imagine that it would be very uncomfortable for the care taker if they know today and still have to assist the coach on game day know exactly what is happening behind the scenes.

Sick of having to find positives in 10 goal plus losses, but I actually did have a few. At times I did like our style of play, many a time we stuffed up with skill or decision errors but I didn't mind some of what we were trying to do. A few players showed a bit. Unfortunately still down by 90 odd points.

Clarks recruitment has been an absolute failure , I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for his miraculous return, the guy never plays.

, I

He played half a season last year followed by a freak injury and got back to playing and might even still be playing if we were a finals team.

Having Dawes around him last year really could've prevented the injury because his load would've been shared

• Like 1

Some players that can hold their head high today: Frawley and Garland superb, Dawes a colossus at CHF and Nate Jones an inspiration in the midfield. Dean Kent is cheeky, quick and skilled.

A few others were servicable, but the rest can go and GF.

Bye bye Mark Neeld.

Next year: Hogan FF, Dawes CHF, Watts floating, Clark as 1st ruck. Might see us more competitive.

Can't see Clark being first ruck, not with that foot. I doubt they will risk him continually jumping in the harder centre area.

• Like 1

Got to agree, so many good signs yet so many freaking brain fades. For all that called rodan a spud today, 24 disposals 11 tackles. Yeah he missed a bloody sitter goal, but 11 tackles and 24 touches are a pretty decent return.

Still wanna know what went on with watts at half time.

I reckon he just went to the gents... no biggie... it happens.

• Like 1

Agreed, redleg. Fitzy kept presenting, chasing and never gave up. He's operating at vfl speed and must be guven 3-4 games in a row to see if he can make it.

Gawn and Fitzy are our future ruck combo. Grimley has had 3 years at Box Hill and Fitzy has more upside given his illness/injury riddled career thus far. Just needs some continuity and luck in the future.

• Like 1

I think he is one of the softest big men playing.

What I meant to add that this is clearly a basketball skill which is being transferred across to a different code. Could become effective if we can keep this guy at our club. He knows how to convert. A new coach may go left field with him and say forget about football, just play it like basketball. players like blicavs, natanui and daw thrive on their unorthodoxy whilst our coaching people are trying to hammer watts into being a conventional footballer. it isn't, and being made to conform is restricting is value. barassi was a failure until smith threw away the coaching manual and let him just play to his natural abilities as a tall rover.

Edited by bush demon
  • Like 1

Don't know about wholesale changes but I think Taggert could take Mc Donald's spot

Macdonald limited Sam Mitchell and played with good spirit. There's a reason Ling was raving about him for part of the game. He won't be dropped unless we get a new coach with a widespread changes.
  • Like 2