Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dylan Shiel

I love what Howe brings to the table. His awareness in the air is something special, but to be honest I wouldn't be devastated if we traded him for something good. He has currency, and as we've often been told, you need to give up something to get something. It's absolutely nothing against him but I don't think his loss would really hurt us that much. As a forward we can cover it and he's just not that great in the middle. Offload him for a quality mid and we'd be ahead of the game.

Howe 's ariel prowess is great, but so was Warwick Cappers... this is precisely why Howe would be huge in that GWS forwardline, pulling in the crowds.

This makes him valuable, both for trade value to us, but also $$$$$ contract from GWS to Howey.

This could get us Dylan Shiel, as no-one else has this crowd pulling potential & they missed out on 'Buddy'. & we need a player of the quality of Shiel, much more than any Robbo 'mini-me' high wire act.

... alternatively if Chip won't renew this month, GWS need a Key-Back bigtime. & Chip would be worth Shiel & Ploughman together, throw in the Russian. we can pickup an older defender to fill in, someone like a Glass?

Howe 's ariel prowess

xCV5o3G.jpg

Not sure how good she really is in the air. Reckon Howe might have her covered.

And by the way... you can sprout off all you like about Howe's supposed trade value, but it doesn't change the fact he is an important part of our club going forward. Should not, and will not, be traded.

• Like 2

xCV5o3G.jpg

Not sure how good she really is in the air. Reckon Howe might have her covered.

And by the way... you can sprout off all you like about Howe's supposed trade value, but it doesn't change the fact he is an important part of our club going forward. Should not, and will not, be traded.

If thats the case, send him to the midfield then, & let him use his footskills & running.

& by the way, who is that girl? & is that Chappy hovering in wait?

Edited by dee-luded

Trade Howe? FFS. You blokes have totally lost the plot.

About the only guy that we have covered (Clark, Dawes, Hogan & Fitzpatrick) that another team might be interested in. You have to give to receive.

• Like 1

Howe 's ariel prowess is great, but so was Warwick Cappers... this is precisely why Howe would be huge in that GWS forwardline, pulling in the crowds.

This makes him valuable, both for trade value to us, but also $$$$$ contract from GWS to Howey.

This could get us Dylan Shiel, as no-one else has this crowd pulling potential & they missed out on 'Buddy'. & we need a player of the quality of Shiel, much more than any Robbo 'mini-me' high wire act.

... alternatively if Chip won't renew this month, GWS need a Key-Back bigtime. & Chip would be worth Shiel & Ploughman together, throw in the Russian. we can pickup an older defender to fill in, someone like a Glass?

We need Howe ourselves, he is a useful marketing tool.

In saying that, I'd let him go for Shiel... Howe, second rounder for Shiel, where do we sign up.

To be frank, I couldn't care less about using players as marketing tools. We need to get our footy team winning and that'll be all the marketing that is needed.

Howe holds his spot in the side easily, takes hangers, puts bums on seats, creates interest in our club, etc.

Unless he has lost a leg or something, we should keep him, plenty of others to offload before Howe.

We have a whole list of blokes who don't perform, why get rid of one of the very few that does?

I agree we need to win matches, but I'd only offload Howe if we could bring in a bona fide gun like Shiel.

Shiel is that good, I've watched him all year, would be a dream to land him.

We need Howe ourselves, he is a useful marketing tool.

In saying that, I'd let him go for Shiel... Howe, second rounder for Shiel, where do we sign up.

we won't need gimmicks when we start playing real contested football.

Howe has great potential, but is just getting sucked into playing like a former north tassie player.

its time for him to start playing real footy, or look out$ide our square.

To be frank, I couldn't care less about using players as marketing tools. We need to get our footy team winning and that'll be all the marketing that is needed.

thats right, the last time we allowed one of our players be exploited by our marketing brains-trust, we almost destroyed his career before it even started.

We won't need gimmicks like Howe's marking once we start winning... But once we're a better side I think he will be more of a weapon.

The more players we have that the opposition needs to worry about, the easier it will become for Howe, as there will be less concerted effort to block his run at the ball for a mark.

He'll get a lot more of it and become more damaging, purely from his marking.

I also expect Roos to help further develop the other areas of his game, especially his defensive running, given his excellent running ability.

Howie looks more a triathlete than a footballer.

We won't need gimmicks like Howe's marking once we start winning... But once we're a better side I think he will be more of a weapon.

The more players we have that the opposition needs to worry about, the easier it will become for Howe, as there will be less concerted effort to block his run at the ball for a mark.

I also expect Roos to help further develop the other areas of his game, especially his defensive running, given his excellent running ability.

Shiel will help form our Midfield Now.

to me I'd rather as an option,,, {Shiel for Howe,,, & + either Swallow or Aish/Kelly/Freeman or Brad Crouch from P2}

I'm not against Howe, but we need to boost our midfield Now. for instant improvement.

Howe holds his spot in the side easily, takes hangers, puts bums on seats, creates interest in our club, etc.

Unless he has lost a leg or something, we should keep him, plenty of others to offload before Howe.

We have a whole list of blokes who don't perform, why get rid of one of the very few that does?

I agree we need to win matches, but I'd only offload Howe if we could bring in a bona fide gun like Shiel.

Shiel is that good, I've watched him all year, would be a dream to land him.

Let me be clear, 316. It's not about "offloading" Howe, willy-nilly. It's about recognising his trade value, amongst a dearth of SFA else on our list and pulling the trigger on a deal. If he was able to net us that 22-24 year old midfielder, we'd be laughing. That opens the door for pick #2.

Trading him for someone like Shiel is what I'm proposing we do. Trade him for someone of value, because he himself has perceived value. I think we can cover him and as you allude to, someone like Shiel will more than fill that void.

• Like 2

This is obviously the other side of the coin. Howe's undoubted X-factor. I'll be the first to admit, I've never been that excited by him. But I can see with his engine and his marking, he has the ability to offer that extra ingredient that could help win you a flag one day. Whilst I would be interested to see if Roos could lift his work rate, if a trade could be done to get us that potential A grade mid, I'd be all over it.

Howe for Shiel won't happen but not because we say no.

The thing about trading Howe is you have to weigh up his use to our team vs what he might attract in a trade that could make our team better. Currently he is a high-marking, high half-forward who struggles through the middle and has average to above average goal kicking accuracy. We also have a number of other KPF/high half-forward options in Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Fitzpatrick & Watts. If we can trade him out for a midfielder to add depth to our third world midfield it will be a win.

You also have to look at these kinds of players and trade them out when their value is high. No point trying to offer Tapscott in a trade as no one will want him for anything more than a 4th/5th round pick. It's the same logic that should have seen us try to offload Jamar two years ago and Sylvia several years ago. We got something decent for McLean at the right time but not a choice of our own making however got a decent pick back for Travis Johnstone when we saw he still had some value.

Considering a trade for Howe doesn't mean he is not rated, in fact it's the opposite. It's just that his relative value to our team is low compared to what we might get for him in return and his value is likely to decrease with age over the next couple of years rather than increase. You don't throw him away for nothing but if you can get something back that will improve our team (namely a midfielder), you do it.

• Like 3

The question to ask yourself is what would you accept for Howe (in terms of draft picks) or for any other player for that matter. Then an what picks you would trade for an opposition player. Then balance it out.

I'd accept pick 1 for Howe. Maybe I'd accept pick 2-5, although I don't know enough about the draft. For us he is worth more than a pick in the teens, although to other clubs he may only be worth teens or early second round.

Sheil is definitely worth top 10, and to us probably more.

We have lots of forwards and Howe, despite his highlights, is probably the least important and most easily replaced. Watts can play his role as a tall flanker. Hell, he won't do it half as well but Dunn could play that role of needed. But Clark and Hogan are much harder to replace.

Extrapolate: what you expect people to pay for Tapscott or Blease? No more than a 4th rounder for Tappy and maybe a 3rd rounder for Blease if someone sees potential.

The question to ask yourself is what would you accept for Howe (in terms of draft picks) or for any other player for that matter. Then an what picks you would trade for an opposition player. Then balance it out.

I'd accept pick 1 for Howe. Maybe I'd accept pick 2-5, although I don't know enough about the draft. For us he is worth more than a pick in the teens, although to other clubs he may only be worth teens or early second round.

Sheil is definitely worth top 10, and to us probably more.

We have lots of forwards and Howe, despite his highlights, is probably the least important and most easily replaced. Watts can play his role as a tall flanker. Hell, he won't do it half as well but Dunn could play that role of needed. But Clark and Hogan are much harder to replace.

Extrapolate: what you expect people to pay for Tapscott or Blease? No more than a 4th rounder for Tappy and maybe a 3rd rounder for Blease if someone sees potential.

Maybe? Pick 2 - 5 for Howe would be an enormous win for us.

• Like 4

If someone cane to us and said "we'll give you pick 5 for Howe in a straight swap" would you take it right now? I can't help but think that would be a backwards step for our current situation where we need onfield experience; Howe is about to hit that experience window where he can impact a game regularly, if he does it is more important to is than a kid who make it and surely will not impact next year, especially if there is no senior midfield support.

You're right I suspect, 2-5 we'd take but not sure we'd take 10.

But in that case in means swapping Howe for Sheil is a no brainer for us; we'd pay pick 2 for Sheil, and we'd happily trade Howe for pick 2 therefore the deal is acceptable to us. Would GWS be happy with the same?

Shiel for Howe is fantasy.

of course it is, thats where ideas start from.

I'd have a Shiel type, ahead of a Howe type every day of the week.

at the moment, I put howey in the Watts/Jurrah bracket. all talented, But. nothin.

but to GWS trying to get a foothold in Western Sydney's hearts & minds, he'd be GOLD. that to them should be Big Value. especially now Buddies way off their radar screen.

If someone cane to us and said "we'll give you pick 5 for Howe in a straight swap" would you take it right now? I can't help but think that would be a backwards step for our current situation where we need onfield experience; Howe is about to hit that experience window where he can impact a game regularly, if he does it is more important to is than a kid who make it and surely will not impact next year, especially if there is no senior midfield support.

You're right I suspect, 2-5 we'd take but not sure we'd take 10.

But in that case in means swapping Howe for Sheil is a no brainer for us; we'd pay pick 2 for Sheil, and we'd happily trade Howe for pick 2 therefore the deal is acceptable to us. Would GWS be happy with the same?

All day every day, where do we sign up for that one:)

My point isn't whether we would want to, it is what is he worth?

If Sheil is worth pick 2 but Howe is only worth pick 15, why would GWS trade?

For the same reason we want to spend pick 2 for Rockliff, Shuey, et al.

Skip the dev stage, give the bloke a role and watch him become a star.

I would trade him an established mid, but he has the skills to be Ryan O'Keefe. Get Roos to help him with his finger that's up his arse and get him to work hard off a wing/hff.