Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Suns

Dannyz

Whatever/whoever they change they better make the right decisions.

I'm ditching the ol' girl to be at the game to hopefully see a win.

Sorry in advance Mum.

I know you are joking Tsfka but please don't call your mother the "ol Girl"

Without her you would not exist.

Please enjoy her while you have her, every day but especially Sunday.

Given how woeful Mcdonald was on Waite (and inexplicably left there for 3 1/2 quarters by the coach before finally shifting Frawley who had been wasted on hampson moved onto him) could we mix things up a little and move Tommy down forward for a freshener and some confidence next week? He played some impressive games early in his career in practice games up forward.

outs: Grimes (inj)

Nicholson (woeful disposal)

Kent (clearly not ready yet)

Spencer (unlucky, had more hitouts, touches and tackles than Gawn but not

as dangerous up forward)

ins: Dawes (no brainer after Saturdays game)

Jetta

Blease

Fitzpatrick

Joel Mac, Rodan and Spencer to be emergencies.

Toumpas needs to play more than 1 decent game to earn a recall.

Taggert has played good halves in the past couple of games but not a full 4 quarters

Sellar also unlucky played quite well down back against Port

I know you are joking Tsfka but please don't call your mother the "ol Girl"

Without her you would not exist.

Please enjoy her while you have her, every day but especially Sunday.

i love my mother to absolute death, our family has gone through many hardships and she is our shining light.

I use "ol'" lovingly as in "ol' yeller." (except without the rabies.)

• Like 4

What does everyone actually think about Luke Tapscott's year so far? I reckon he's been in our worst five players every weekso far, but he's just got this physicality about him whose value is really difficult to rate.

Sam Blease is another guy whose value to the team extends beyond just his possessions. These two guys have qualities that are very rare on our list, and yet their actual performances have been relatively poor. They're both very difficult to judge.

In fact, you can add Colin Sylvia to that list; he butchered the ball like nobody's business yesterday, and yet he exudes a kind of ball-bursting class that we just don't have.

Thoughts?

I think he's been great this year. Very harsh to rate him so poorly. He's finally stepping up and showing us what he can do. If he gets over his yips he'll be hitting the scoreboard as well. I don't think they'll even consider dropping him if he keeps this up.

• Like 3

From the VFL player review

Chris Dawes: Chris had 13 disposals, seven marks and kicked 3.1. He played the majority of the game this week and his attack on the ball, particularly when outnumbered was really important. Chris ran out the game strongly.

Jack Fitzpatrick: Jack has now played three really good consecutive games. He is working hard as a key forward and as the second ruck. He had 13 disposals, seven marks, 23 hit outs and kicked 3.2 for the game, which was a very good contribution.

We need to bring them both into the side. These two plus a resting ruck will be a massive headache for the GC defence.

• Like 1

I would like to see Fitz in the side. He has great agility for a big man and we need a tall forward to work with Dawes.

I have only seen a limited amount of Fitz but I have wondered if he could play the same role that dustin fletcher has played for the bummers? How good is his awareness of the ball in flight, his man etc?

I would not like to see him delisted. Is he a better version of Stefan Martin?

Edited by deefuture

Given how woeful Mcdonald was on Waite (and inexplicably left there for 3 1/2 quarters by the coach before finally shifting Frawley who had been wasted on hampson moved onto him) could we mix things up a little and move Tommy down forward for a freshener and some confidence next week? He played some impressive games early in his career in practice games up forward.

outs: Grimes (inj)

Nicholson (woeful disposal)

Kent (clearly not ready yet)

Spencer (unlucky, had more hitouts, touches and tackles than Gawn but not

as dangerous up forward)

ins: Dawes (no brainer after Saturdays game)

Jetta

Blease

Fitzpatrick

Joel Mac, Rodan and Spencer to be emergencies.

Toumpas needs to play more than 1 decent game to earn a recall.

Taggert has played good halves in the past couple of games but not a full 4 quarters

Sellar also unlucky played quite well down back against Port

I dont think Gawn or Fitzpatrick are no 1 ruck, more a 2nd Ruck and forward.

Therefore will Fitzpatrick replace Gawn this week ? I dont tihnk they would play both.

I like Gawn but he only had 6 touches.

Dawes is defenate in.

Magner will surely be elevated and come in the side ?

And i think Blease needs to come back in for Kent at this stage.

Outs:

• We are here to develop and become the hardest team to beat. You aren't expected to win while doing so.
  • The first option at all times is to look outside and kick towards the boundary, but don't overdo the handball!
  • The 2nd option - "Hit the Boundary!"
  • It's ok to Kick/Hack the ball towards a contest when under any degree of pressure, even to a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 1 against.... as long as it's towards the boundary!
  • Generally Ignore disposals to overlap runners who are clear and heading inside ie., towards the corridor
  • Generally Ignore disposals to overlap runners who are clear and forward of play and free ie., heading quickly towards our goals and likely to impact the scoreboard or give it off to someone who can!
  • Defenders/Mid Fielders, feel free to run & carry, but all other defenders/mid fielders who don't have possession can only move laterally and slowly. Don't run forward in waves to support or spread in order to create heaps of overlap options!
  • Allow other mid fielders and on ballers to generally get the ball first so you can then tackle them and create another stoppage.
  • If you happen to get first possession at a stoppage do not handball quickly to fellow players using the old "1 2" and definitely no "3" to an outside runner!
  • Do not overdo the handball, in fact you should rarely handball unless it's to a target standing still or looking like they're about to be gang tackled!
  • There's no such thing as a speedy/classy outside runner around here!
  • Anyone looking like a speedy/outside runner will spend weeks at Casey.
  • Anyone overdoing the handball in order to effectively clear the congestion in an attempt to find a speedy/classy outside runner that we don't have...will spend more weeks at Casey
  • No 2nd or 3rd efforts in order to protect the ball carrier once you've given off that 1 (and 1 only at a time) handball, any firther handball attempts in succession should be at the feet of fellow player
  • No 2nd or 3rd efforts in order to create another option for the player you just gave the ball to, especially running forward of that player!
  • Training like AFL footballers on the track means you are close to being one on game day. Just do the same on game day. Keep training. It will happen. Use more Pantene. It will happen. It will!
  • Brian Royal
  • Jade Rawlings
  • Leigh Brown
  • Paul Satterley
  • Aaron Greaves
  • Andrew Nichol
  • Neil Craig
  • Mark Neeld

Ins:

• We are here to win at all costs or die trying
  • If that means defending a lead in order to win (and you are told to), defend. If that means attack at all costs in order regain the lead....go all out attack (Pssst....you don't need to be told to do this part!).
  • If we are in the lead you can still attack and try and smash your opponent unless told otherwise.
  • We never give in and we don't accept 2nd best....period.
  • Anyone who looks like they've given up during any passage of play or shirks a contest is in danger of spending weeks at Casey and risks never playing seniors football with this club again (subject to a severe injury/hammy during a chase or heading towards a contest)
  • Reversal of the above "Outs" (excluding Coach references)
  • Bomber Thompson or Paul Roos (Coach)
  • Mark Neeld (Assistant Coach)
  • Dermot Brereton (Forward Line Coach)
  • Cameron Mooney (Forward Line Development Coach)
  • Cameron Ling (Mid Field Coach)
  • Simon Black (Mid Field Development Coach)
  • Matthew Scarlett (Back Line Coach)
  • Darren Milburn (Back Line Development Coach)
  • Brad Ottens (Part Time Ruck Coach)
Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 3

Terlich, Chip, Jetta

Nico, Tommy, Garland

Blease, Dunn, M Jones

Howe, Dawes, Byrnes

Trenners, Gawn, Tappy

Jamar, Col, N Jones

Int: Viney, Evans, Strauss

Sub: Bail

In: Dawes, Jamar (Fitzy if not fit), Jetta, Blease

Out: Pencil, McKenzie, Grimes, Kent

Terlich, Chip, Jetta

Nico, Tommy, Garland

Blease, Dunn, M Jones

Howe, Dawes, Byrnes

Trenners, Gawn, Tappy

Jamar, Col, N Jones

Int: Viney, Evans, Strauss

Sub: Bail

In: Dawes, Jamar (Fitzy if not fit), Jetta, Blease

Out: Pencil, McKenzie, Grimes, Kent

Wow that's entirely sensible. Get out! Except I'd give Kent a chance as sub (hopefully he lasts there until the 3rd quarter so he can come on as an impact player). He kicked one goal on the run and missed another after burning Kade Simpson. That's talent that we don't have a lot of. Either drop Bail instead or don't include Blease

The reality that pretty much all of us would prefer not to accept is that we are getting nothing out of Jack Trengove at the moment. James Magner is languishing on the rookie list when currently he is probably faster, certainly much more of a ball getter, an undoubted physical and defensive presence at stoppages, and would effectively take enormous pressure off Nate Jones. It is hurting the team having Trenners in and Magner unavailable. A LOT.

Dean Kent had 3 quarters for 3 touches. That's not enough to be reselected. Yes he's exciting and has great upside, but Sam Blease must be elevated whenever he plays well and does what he's told at Casey, because his upside is even greater and he is a game breaker in the making.....consistency will hopefully develop, but only with game time.

Jack Fitzpatrick simply has to be rewarded for his form, or what's the point of him being on the list? I'm completely uncertain about him, but he MUST be given his chance when it's deserved.

I'm anxious for Chris Dawes, as he's carrying a huge expectation from supporters, and is an ordinary AFL footballer. He is not and will not be the messiah. In a well structured forward line, he'll be very valuable hopefully, but NOT as the no.1 forward.

• Like 1

FB Garland Frawley Jetta

HB Terlich McDonald Strauss

C Evans Dunn M. Jones

HF Howe Fitzpatrick Tapscott

FF Bail Dawes Gawn

R Spencer Jones Sylvia

Int Trengove Mckenzie Viney Kent (sub)

Outs - Byrnes Grimes Nicholson

Ins - Fitzpatrick Dawes Jetta

This is how i would like to see us line up. If Magner is upgraded, i would bring him in. Probably at the expense of Kent, although i think a game against younger bodies would do him the world of good.

I want to see us try and stretch Gold Coast's defence by playing 3 big guys, all of whom are agile and good on the ground for their size. It will also help us with the get-out kick down the line, and the quick kick into the forward line, which we struggled with last week.

Grimes is an obvious out. Nicholson gets replaced by Jetta, who i think offers just as much defensively, but has better skills.

I would tag Ablett with Dunn/Mckenzie in short bursts, with Dunn told to look to push forward any chance he gets to make Ablett work and keep him accountable.

Barring injury, I would look to sub Spencer out half way through the third, and ruck for the rest of the game with Gawn/Fitzpatrick to provide us with more run.

Evans to run with Harley Bennell, and like Dunn, to push forward and spread hard to keep him accountable.

Byrnes out, while he has been ok in a couple of games, I think Bail offers better pressure in the forward line, and better run through the middle when needed. I don't mind him having shots on goal, there have been a couple of times when he could have passed, but i like the fact he has the confidence to do it.

Edited by leehow

I can't see Byrnes being dropped at any point this season. He's doing exactly what we needed him to do and playing pretty well. He'll be kept on to provide leadership and an example for the whole season.

If they keep Byrnes, which they probably will for the reasons you've named, I would drop Strauss, move Dunn to the back line and have Mckenzie tag Ablett all day. Just like the option of having both Dunn and Mckenzie available to tag Ablett.

if Toumpas is recalled after 1 good game at Casey i'll be dissapointed.

So would I. We need to keep him there for at least a month, we always stuff around with players- sending them to Casey for a week, making them be emergency, elevating them then dropping them back to Casey again and they can't get any kind of continuity in their game. We need to do what the big clubs do- play the kids in the second tier until they are actually ready. I am aware the big clubs can afford to do that with their lists but we aren't doing ourselves any favours throwing our kids to the wolves all the time.

• Like 1

So would I. We need to keep him there for at least a month, we always stuff around with players- sending them to Casey for a week, making them be emergency, elevating them then dropping them back to Casey again and they can't get any kind of continuity in their game. We need to do what the big clubs do- play the kids in the second tier until they are actually ready. I am aware the big clubs can afford to do that with their lists but we aren't doing ourselves any favours throwing our kids to the wolves all the time.

The way I would do it if I was coach would be to never give a player just one week anywhere. Someone plays one game and is worst on ground? Give them another run to redeem themselves. If they can't do it, then you send them back to the VFL.

Same thing goes with people you've demoted. They're in the bests, you say? Make 'em do it for another week, and if they can't, then leave them there until they can.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 2

i love my mother to absolute death, our family has gone through many hardships and she is our shining light.

I use "ol'" lovingly as in "ol' yeller." (except without the rabies.)

Good news then TSFKA.

Glad to hear it I lost mine at quite a young age so I am perhaps a little senstive on the subject.

Have a great Sunday and I hope the dees get up for you as well.

• Like 1

What is the fallout if we lose this one? Same dribble rolled out by Neeld and Donny boy?

Same as the last 18months

We just have a poor playing list and until that changes nothing else will.

Good to see so much team debate - just show how crap a side we have become.

Here's mine.

In:

Dawes (no point paying him $500K a year to play in the VFL)

Toumpas (given they cocked up when to play him originally and he missed out on GWS game, surely he must play against the Suns - VFL has bye anyway)

Fitzpatrick (deserves a shot after recent VFL form, but must come at expense of Spencer otherwise we will be back to the top-heavy days of Rds1-5).

Blease (they love saying how good he's going to be, yet they keep subbing or dropping him. Let him play and make mistakes, but we need to know if he has vision to make it).

Out:

Grimes (will be sadly missed)

Spencer (he will make a really good VFL ruckman one day).

McKenzie (is he really going to stop Ablett?)

Kent (he might make it down the track, but this is the game for Toumpas and Blease)

• Like 3

Good to see so much team debate - just show how crap a side we have become.

Here's mine.

In:

Dawes (no point paying him $500K a year to play in the VFL)

Toumpas (given they cocked up when to play him originally and he missed out on GWS game, surely he must play against the Suns - VFL has bye anyway)

Fitzpatrick (deserves a shot after recent VFL form, but must come at expense of Spencer otherwise we will be back to the top-heavy days of Rds1-5).

Blease (they love saying how good he's going to be, yet they keep subbing or dropping him. Let him play and make mistakes, but we need to know if he has vision to make it).

Out:

Grimes (will be sadly missed)

Spencer (he will make a really good VFL ruckman one day).

McKenzie (is he really going to stop Ablett?)

Kent (he might make it down the track, but this is the game for Toumpas and Blease)

Yep i'm with you on most of that. They won't drop McKenzie though so if its a choice between Blease and Toumpas i hope they go for the Toump as i'd like to see enjoy a win. Having said that it is a real concern, given the improvements he made last year, that an apparently fit Blease can't force his way into this team (or stay in it once in).

Fitz in Spencer out a no brainer (though i love the pencil's spirit)

• Like 1

In : Cooney, Thomas , Foley at any cost 1 million a year each, Joe Gutnick to help out.

The way I would do it if I was coach would be to never give a player just one week anywhere. Someone plays one game and is worst on ground? Give them another run to redeem themselves. If they can't do it, then you send them back to the VFL.

Same thing goes with people you've demoted. They're in the bests, you say? Make 'em do it for another week, and if they can't, then leave them there until they can.

Chook, think you will find that sometimes they get dropped not for the lack of possessions but what they do when they cannot get it is a reason for dropping them, Neeld believes in everyone plays their role even if your down on form.

Edited by demon3165

Chook, think you will find that sometimes they get dropped not for the lack of possessions but what they do when they cannot get it is a reason for dropping them, Neeld believes in everyone plays their role even if your down on form.

The way I see it, if you're playing your role you're not down on form.