Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Have things gotten so bad that...

hardtack

... no-one gets along to training anymore? Speaking for myself, but I'm sure others may agree, we interstaters genuinely appreciate any training reports that are posted on these forums as it provides more of a sense of involvement with the club where, obviously, we cannot physically show our support every week. Given all of the current talk on these boards, it would also be nice to get any (hopefully impartial) observations on the relationship between coach and players - is there a sense of distance, camaraderie, etc etc.

I believe that there was a training session at Gosch's Paddock yesterday, but have seen nothing on here and only an empty topic on 'ology.

• Like 1

same , being in the bush

was hoping we had a regular track watcher within to pass on info

Basically you will find the reports stop when the season is on, as there is nothing really to report, the MFC and Casey games are on and reported/watched/televised etc

If I go I try and chat to as many as I can, I then report the conversations

And because it is me, this may be regarded as not impartial, but the story that Neeld has lost the players. is one thing, [censored]

• Like 5

You are probably right about people not reporting much once the season is up and running, but I would have thought that considering the way things have been going, there might have been a few reporting on the state of the nation...but things went from calls to rally around the team at training one week, to crickets the next.

On game day it's easy to simply say "the coach has lost the players" on the back on a seemingly lacklustre disinterested performance, but I would have thought that to get the best insight, attending training would be the way to go... this is where most of the interaction between coach and players and rest of football department takes place. So, on that score, I'm glad to here your view Satyriconhome, as I know first-hand that you do have contact with players and football department members at those sessions. Appreciated.

• Like 1

I will tell you how bad it is. Supporters have posted on this site that they will accept a 70 point loss to Carlton FFS!

Speaking for myself - I hate this mentality and at this level of AFL Winning is Everything!

Anyone who accepts mediocrity at the MFC please do yourself and everyone else a huge favour...move onto something else in life.

Our culture MUST change urgently...and that includes supporters who accept the status quo year after year.

• Like 2

i think the lack of training reports reflects the general jaded nature of supporters.

The lads can train the hosue down all they like, but now we're into the season propper it would be nice to see them play well on match day, not just train well.

Neeld's press conferences also seem jaded. Saying things like "a 5 goal loss on the road is a small win for us" and "brisbane are a very good side" is basically the words of a broken man who doesnt believe we can win

• Like 2

i think the lack of training reports reflects the general jaded nature of supporters.

The lads can train the hosue down all they like, but now we're into the season propper it would be nice to see them play well on match day, not just train well.

Neeld's press conferences also seem jaded. Saying things like "a 5 goal loss on the road is a small win for us" and "brisbane are a very good side" is basically the words of a broken man who doesnt believe we can win

It is sad... This period in this club's history is one of the worst I have experienced.

1996-1997 was bad but it turned around in 1998. I'm wondering where the turnaround will come from this time around. I was a little surprised in 2000 when they made the GF as I thought there was too much turnover so who knows?

I will say that the mother of all clean outs needs to continue. As the Ox said, Cameron Schwab was the first step.

I will tell you how bad it is. Supporters have posted on this site that they will accept a 70 point loss to Carlton FFS!

Speaking for myself - I hate this mentality and at this level of AFL Winning is Everything!

Anyone who accepts mediocrity at the MFC please do yourself and everyone else a huge favour...move onto something else in life.

Our culture MUST change urgently...and that includes supporters who accept the status quo year after year.

Yes, I understand all of that, but I started this thread in the hope of getting insight into whether there really is a disconnect between the coach and the players... there are plenty of other topics on this board if people want to vent about the club and supporters.

Basically you will find the reports stop when the season is on, as there is nothing really to report, the MFC and Casey games are on and reported/watched/televised etc

If I go I try and chat to as many as I can, I then report the conversations

And because it is me, this may be regarded as not impartial, but the story that Neeld has lost the players. is one thing, [censored]

You don't know this and neither do I. One thing is for sure the players would not tell you if he had.

People are using their observation of how we are playing and coming up with this as a reason. I don't know if that's the case but something is not working and it's not just the poor playing list, surely the list is not that bad and up until this game most players have been on the park.

you post on every thread the same LETS get rid of neeld

i may agree with you but this was a thread about people watching training

the we hate neeld thread is else where

• Like 1

... no-one gets along to training anymore? Speaking for myself, but I'm sure others may agree, we interstaters genuinely appreciate any training reports that are posted on these forums as it provides more of a sense of involvement with the club where, obviously, we cannot physically show our support every week. Given all of the current talk on these boards, it would also be nice to get any (hopefully impartial) observations on the relationship between coach and players - is there a sense of distance, camaraderie, etc etc.

I believe that there was a training session at Gosch's Paddock yesterday, but have seen nothing on here and only an empty topic on 'ology.

You know, re the ambience`, the coach when at Ocean Grove, must have had the players playing for him over some years, to win the Flags.

... @ collingwood, they're Midfield seemed excellent, under his guidance & was one of the best.... since he came to Melbourne, the Pies lost the Grand Final, & IMO, they have gone backwards around their midfield? they are Not dominant like they were.

& the Pies team has a 'feel', of being easier to score against them.

I have not seen anything to suggest that the players are not getting along with Neeld, except the Mifsud affair, which was debunked,,, & this year Davey looks sharper than the last couple of years, but older.

... many of our players have gotten better under Neeld, including Jones, Grimes, Gawn, Fitzy's flying @ Casey, Evans, Spencer, Clark when he's foots OK, Dunn's improved, Garland looks to be stepping up over the last 2 weeks, HOWE is flying under Neeld & has signed a 3 Yr contract I believe, Davis is playing top footy by reports down @ Casey as a Key defender, & to me Tapscott & Jetta both look threatening to break through,

.... thats a fair list of improvements for mine, & Did I say, Casey are so far UnBeaten,, on the top of the ladder...

this is always the way a club undergoing fundamental changes, shows its improving.... from the bottom Up.

Just as it did under Barassi & Jordan.

... the rotten wood has only just been removed, & the new Growth is just starting to appear. the new wood is very green but supple.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 4

It is almost too depressing going to watch s%#t skills on game day, let alone them training to be s#%t!

Oh no, their lack of interest and enthusiasm is rubbing off on me....

I didn't go this week but I went last week. Surprised there wasn't a thread because the turnout was pretty good being ANZAC day.

Anyway last week was probably the worst training session I've ever seen. So far below AFL level.

They started with a switching from the backline drill that resulted in several balls being kicked clear over players heads. Just when they fixed it and kicked one actually to Strauss at the insistence of Nath Jones to get Straussy the ball he did one of the worst shanks of all time.

They then did a fast moving spread drill that was again pretty poor. Sam Blease actually lit it up with some runs through the middle.

Jack Grimes then brought the group in to tell them to lift.

After that it was on to smaller drills with handball practice mainly. Brian Royal invented an absolutely pointless drill where players would handball to and fro to a guy in the middle whilst another team stood in a circle around them. He'd blow the whistle and then the handballing team would work the ball around and kick a goal. Due to the structure of the drill the defending team had no chance which made it pointless.

Neil Craig oversaw most of the training. Apparently Mark Neeld was there but he just isn't active in training enough for a senior coach. He needs to be out there supervising, getting his hand on the ball with players, grabbing blokes and pulling them aside. Pretty much asserting himself. It's a small thing but if he doesn't do it the players won't play for him. They won't listen or respect him on match day.

Mitch Clisby didn't train - we now know he was shin sore. And Clarky came out to watch 10 minutes before jumping in the back of the golf cart.

With their trusty public toilet now too far away the players have taken to pissing on the old Collingwood advertising boards down near the punt road freeway exit end behind the goals.

There's my retrospective training report for ANZAC day.

• Like 3

I didn't go this week but I went last week. Surprised there wasn't a thread because the turnout was pretty good being ANZAC day.

Anyway last week was probably the worst training session I've ever seen. So far below AFL level.

They started with a switching from the backline drill that resulted in several balls being kicked clear over players heads. Just when they fixed it and kicked one actually to Strauss at the insistence of Nath Jones to get Straussy the ball he did one of the worst shanks of all time.

They then did a fast moving spread drill that was again pretty poor. Sam Blease actually lit it up with some runs through the middle.

After that it was on to smaller drills with handball practice mainly. Brian Royal invented an absolutely pointless drill where players would handball to and fro to a guy in the middle whilst another team stood in a circle around them. He'd blow the whistle and then the handballing team would work the ball around and kick a goal. Due to the structure of the drill the defending team had no chance which made it pointless.

Neil Craig oversaw most of the training. Apparently Mark Neeld was there but he just isn't active in training enough for a senior coach. He needs to be out there supervising, getting his hand on the ball with players, grabbing blokes and pulling them aside. Pretty much asserting himself. It's a small thing but if he doesn't do it the players won't play for him. They won't listen or respect him on match day.

Mitch Clisby didn't train - we now know he was shin sore. And Clarky came out to watch 10 minutes before jumping in the back of the golf cart.

With their trusty public toilet now too far away the players have taken to pissing on the old Collingwood advertising boards down near the punt road freeway exit end behind the goals.

While I can't support public urination, that line is one of the funniest things I've ever read on Demonland.

• Like 3

It was terrible wasn't it. Went along expecting a good session after the last quarter against GWS and on phone leaving said to the old man on phone that we'd be belted if we played in Brissie the way we trained.

Didn't write a report as I had absolutely nothing good to say. Haven't been able to get down there this week.

I was at the same training sessuon, so I will try and counter your rather jaundiced view, seems you took the opportunity to follow your "the coach is a dud agenda", as Hardtack said there is another topic for that, notice most of the usual suspects have joined in, gets rather tedious seeing the same old posts repeated ad nauseum

If you had listened to Royal, the drill was all about voice, nothing too dramatic but getting the handball away to the voice, and picking the clear option

Neeld was out in the middle for most of the session, strange you didn't notice him, except where he came off to have a quick chat which Mitch Clark before Clark left, maybe he was asking what he was having for lunch Called them all together in the middle, (not Grimes) at one point to point something out

True some of the kicking in the kicking drill mentioned above was a bit ordinary, but it certainly wasn't as disastrours as you have said, by the way there was two of us and we thought the same thing, think this was more of a shakedown session before the trip to Brisbane, don't forget they had Friday as well, if you also listened carefully you would have heard the 'Leaders' having a dip at the miscreants anyway, one in particular was Trengove at Spencer for a lazy effort.

Mitch Clark by the way was there for about half an hour

As for Neeld losing the players, this is so far from the truth, Neeld encourages trainers and players, if they are asked a question, to tell the truth, I have asked quite a few and get the same positive answers about him. But most of the usual suspects won't believe that, so hey what can I say

It is quite simple at the moment apart from Nat Jones and Col Sylvia, we have a midfield that probably has a combined total of less than 30 games, that is where the problem is, experience

Edited by Satyriconhome

I was at the same training sessuon, so I will try and counter your rather jaundiced view....

Agree with a lot you say, earlier post was unfair on coaches, thought Neeld more involved than many other sessions I have seen.

But I thought our skill were terrible, have been to training at least half a dozen times this year and to me, last Thursday was the worst by a long way.

I normally leave training feeling like things are not as bad as most here seem to believe, last week I left feeling baffled as I had expected so much more but instead got what was IMO a very sloppy performance skill wise.

Agree with a lot you say, earlier post was unfair on coaches, thought Neeld more involved than many other sessions I have seen.

But I thought our skill were terrible, have been to training at least half a dozen times this year and to me, last Thursday was the worst by a long way.

I normally leave training feeling like things are not as bad as most here seem to believe, last week I left feeling baffled as I had expected so much more but instead got what was IMO a very sloppy performance skill wise.

Was nowhere as aharp as you say as some we have both watched, that's why thought it was more of a shakedown session, a lot of emphasis on voice rather than skills, but that said, I thought some of the field kicking at times against Brisbane was excellent, so go figure

I've been to training a few times this year.

My one big take away from all of it is how much it feels and seems like work for everyone involved. This is not only true for the MFC I'm sure, but I think modern day footy for all it's professionalism seem to lack a certain spirit that you find of other footy clubs where they have limited time together and so make the time they do have together 'feel' more important. I will say that I noticed the kicking level in general is as you would expect given our on field performances. As expected the more consistent trainers are also the more consistent players. Jones is an elite athlete in terms of his presentation and training performance and it's at least nice to see that translate into good personal performances from him.

I haven't noticed anything in particular in regards to the relationships between players and coaching staff. Neil Craig does seem to like to get out there amongst it.

If I go again soon I'll be sure to post or start a thread for those of you interested. Sadly, as the Stark family motto ominously warns, 'Winter is Coming' and it puts a pretty severe dent in my desire to stand outside on a Friday morning and watch guys in there 20's run around and kick a ball in the general vicinity of each other.

Edited by The heart beats true
  • Like 1

Well that pretty much highlights why most of the time our players handball to static team mates. I'm a coach and I've gotta say that sounds like a drill you might get away with in primary school. A disgraceful lack of innovation for AFL standard.

I was at the same training sessuon, so I will try and counter your rather jaundiced view, seems you took the opportunity to follow your "the coach is a dud agenda", as Hardtack said there is another topic for that, notice most of the usual suspects have joined in, gets rather tedious seeing the same old posts repeated ad nauseum

If you had listened to Royal, the drill was all about voice, nothing too dramatic but getting the handball away to the voice, and picking the clear option

Neeld was out in the middle for most of the session, strange you didn't notice him, except where he came off to have a quick chat which Mitch Clark before Clark left, maybe he was asking what he was having for lunch Called them all together in the middle, (not Grimes) at one point to point something out

True some of the kicking in the kicking drill mentioned above was a bit ordinary, but it certainly wasn't as disastrours as you have said, by the way there was two of us and we thought the same thing, think this was more of a shakedown session before the trip to Brisbane, don't forget they had Friday as well, if you also listened carefully you would have heard the 'Leaders' having a dip at the miscreants anyway, one in particular was Trengove at Spencer for a lazy effort.

Mitch Clark by the way was there for about half an hour

As for Neeld losing the players, this is so far from the truth, Neeld encourages trainers and players, if they are asked a question, to tell the truth, I have asked quite a few and get the same positive answers about him. But most of the usual suspects won't believe that, so hey what can I say

It is quite simple at the moment apart from Nat Jones and Col Sylvia, we have a midfield that probably has a combined total of less than 30 games, that is where the problem is, experience

Lazy coaching. Try and replicate a situation the players might face on game day. Intensity. Pressure. The things we clearly don't cope with. That way on game day, when faced with the same situation, they might improve.