Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Why is James Magner on the rookie list?

What

Magner is 25, plenty of development and years to come from him in the guts whilst others learn.

Give him a go i say.

I think we know that and the club, so tell Magner keep your form up and your guaranteed a spot on the list for next year.

but lets see what Clisby can do ? I see Craig threw his name up along with Magner and couch.

• Like 1

I think we know that and the club, so tell Magner keep your form up and your guaranteed a spot on the list for next year.

but lets see what Clisby can do ? I see Craig threw his name up along with Magner and couch.

I noticed that too, and a few people have mentioned that he has shown abit, surely if they were to upgrade one player it would have to be Magner? we are crying out for mids at the moment.

Next year may be very interesting though.

I noticed that too, and a few people have mentioned that he has shown abit, surely if they were to upgrade one player it would have to be Magner? we are crying out for mids at the moment.

Next year may be very interesting though.

If we thinking of right now, of course Magner I agree. but we looking to the future.

Magner must come in for Grimes , and Couch as a tagger at the expense of Mckenzie. (replaces Clark, to get off rookie list.)

This will free up Jones and Sylvia as well.

We have to try things like this because nothing else is working, and Mckenzie , as likeable a lad he is, aint no AFL player.

Almost with you on that DeeZee.

I would go one further. Magner in for Grimes. Couch in for Trengove. Jones as Captain. Sylvia VC.

Trengove needs to recover at Casey and find his fitness/footy mojo again as it's completely shot atm. Couch can at least provide a contest and get a few more disposals (not overly confident but willing to roll the die!). I would keep McKenzie and Viney on the bench for later rotations as per below.

My Starting line up in the middle would be Jones (free), Sylvia (free) and Dunn (as the "go to" similar to the role on Judd last week, interchanging with Mckenzie off the bench on the same player or maybe we bring in McKenzie to try and shut down a 2nd option if things are getting out of hand in the mid....again lol). I would rotate Magner for Jones as to me they are similar in style (albeit Jones boy is a few rungs above at this point obviously).

Viney off the bench once the heat's out of the game a little. Say no earlier than 10 minutes or so into the 3rd. Sometimes watching is just as good as being out there, provided you have someone skilled/experienced sitting alongside you giving pointers and adding some value. I prefer Viney in this role as he wont blow up too early in the match and find himself a yard or so behind the play by the 2nd or 3rd if he's on from the get go. Being able to keep up and influence a few more contests and plays deeper into the match might help in his development and confidence. Although the only problem with this strategy is we are out of most games by about half time lol. So we would need to pick and choose when to play Jack. Sometimes at Casey (as a learning/protective measure) and sometimes in the seniors depending on who we're up against. In a quality team this wouldn't be an issue. But we need to manage this kid real careful if he's to develop into what we expect and not throw him to the wolves too early.

Edited by Rusty Nails

But what would you think that would do to Magner's confidence, let alone the detriment to building a decent culture at the club.

"Hey James, you have done everything right in all aspects of training, preparation and game day performance so we'll reward you by giving you a spot on the list next year. In the mean time do you mind if we reward someone who hasn't done nearly as much as you because they were lucky enough being born after you, and you know, like...we have screwed our season so we are kinda doing that...you know...development thing. Hope you understand."

Sorry Deano, but if you are trying to build a successful elite, hard working and winning culture, you reward players for professionalism and performance, not for age. We want to have a future side where a lot of players are competing for spots because EVERYONE is professional and performing well in both the AFL and VFL. And we need to start this NOW.

Mitch is starting to show signs, yes. But there is none more deserving at this current time as Magner, and he will have an immediate impact if Neeld lets him play his natural game (as see last year).

I understand about "the future" but who says Magner couldn't be apart of our future for a good number of years?

Especially while some others develop (i.e Viney and co.)

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

But what would you think that would do to Magner's confidence, let alone the detriment to building a decent culture at the club.

"Hey James, you have done everything right in all aspects of training, preparation and game day performance so we'll reward you by giving you a spot on the list next year. In the mean time do you mind if we reward someone who hasn't done nearly as much as you because they were lucky enough being born after you, and you know, like...we have screwed our season so we are kinda doing that...you know...development thing. Hope you understand."

Sorry Deano, but if you are trying to build a successful elite, hard working and winning culture, you reward players for professionalism and performance, not for age. We want to have a future side where a lot of players are competing for spots because EVERYONE is professional and performing well in both the AFL and VFL. And we need to start this NOW.

Mitch is starting to show signs, yes. But there is none more deserving at this current time as Magner, and he will have an immediate impact if Neeld lets him play his natural game (as see last year).

I understand about "the future" but who says Magner couldn't be apart of our future for a good number of years?

Especially while some others develop (i.e Viney and co.)

Magner deserves ago, but its about the team ongoing. Im sure if you said to Magner you got a contract for 2014 as part of the proper list he would grab it, After all he is still on the rookie list, Its all how they sell it to him. I spose im throwing out there what else can we find to start in 2014? Lets say they punt on clisby for 8 weeks and thats what we are talking about. We arent talking about a full time gig. So we put Clisby on half back and hello we go geez hes another Terlich or M Jones. All of a sudden we can put him and Magner up for 2014.

If they dont experiement we wont know.

btw i didnt suggest it because of age. its because of his form playing off the half back flank which is why his name is being thrown up.

Edited by Deano74
  • Like 1

I'd upgrade him and couch, and play both for 8 weeks. I'd dare say there would be another LTI by then (or the midseason upgrade) as a lure.

Bit like the scene in batman, with the joker and pool cue, let them show who wants it

More

Magner deserves ago, but its about the team ongoing. Im sure if you said to Magner you got a contract for 2014 as part of the proper list he would grab it, After all he is still on the rookie list, Its all how they sell it to him. I spose im throwing out there what else can we find to start in 2014? Lets say they punt on clisby for 8 weeks and thats what we are talking about. We arent talking about a full time gig. So we put Clisby on half back and hello we go geez hes another Terlich or M Jones. All of a sudden we can put him and Magner up for 2014.

If they dont experiement we wont know.

I see what your saying, and i understand the logic of it but it just won't happen.

We (the MFC) need to stop playing and planning for next year not even half way through our seasons like we have the past few years.

We need to focus on winning bloody games NOW, to build this winning culture we are trying to build and to keep and gain some fans, and most importantly to get some freakin' belief in this once great club again.

Magner will immediately assist that, he'll play this week.

But hey...in a perfect world...we could have both.

tumblr_lpsnroN5iP1qc6mrfo1_500.gif

• Like 2

I see what your saying, and i understand the logic of it but it just won't happen.

We (the MFC) need to stop playing and planning for next year not even half way through our seasons like we have the past few years.

We need to focus on winning bloody games NOW, to build this winning culture we are trying to build and to keep and gain some fans, and most importantly to get some freakin' belief in this once great club again.

Magner will immediately assist that, he'll play this week.

But hey...in a perfect world...we could have both.

tumblr_lpsnroN5iP1qc6mrfo1_500.gif

Its hard to disagree with you, but dont be surprised, after all people arent fans of Nicholson or Strauss.

• Like 1

The thing with nicholson, due the fact he is the fittest guy on the list and has the best endurance he is worth perserving with.

Cause if he can start racking up the stats combined with his running ability he would be a good player.

Brett Kirk was a local from Albury. We all know hes premiership star, captain etc.

But he wasnt the quickest, not the best kick, not tall, but he was absolute work horse who just kept on getting the ball.

Nicholson has endurance to become a player like that.

• Like 2

Guest rednblue4life

Hope Magner gets his chance, Craige said IF Grimes is on the lti list!! id suggest even if grimes is ganna be ready to play in 6/7 weeks id keep him out a week longer and bring in Magner.

Id also tell Magner he has a 8 week block where he wont be dropped to prove he can play at the highest level

Edited by rednblue4life

I'd not be surprised if the Powers that Be chose not to manipulate LTI durations to enable a Magner elevation but rather waited until mid-year when it could be done for free.

If we do see such stinginess it'd be a shame, especially when players such as Davey get nearly three times the Elevation Fee whenever they play one game at AFL level.

I'd not be surprised if the Powers that Be chose not to manipulate LTI durations to enable a Magner elevation but rather waited until mid-year when it could be done for free.

If we do see such stinginess it'd be a shame, especially when players such as Davey get nearly three times the Elevation Fee whenever they play one game at AFL level.

I think that the 'thinking' is that if you put Clark and Grimes on the LTI it makes it certain that they cannot play for 8 weeks.

I really think that this FD is overthinking things and trying to be too smart. Magner is no world beater but he should play this week, and he should have been playing from the start of the year.

• Like 1

The thing with nicholson, due the fact he is the fittest guy on the list and has the best endurance he is worth perserving with.

Cause if he can start racking up the stats combined with his running ability he would be a good player.

Brett Kirk was a local from Albury. We all know hes premiership star, captain etc.

But he wasnt the quickest, not the best kick, not tall, but he was absolute work horse who just kept on getting the ball.

Brett Kirk was a natural footballer though. In and under and hard. He wouldn't fumble as much in his entire career as Nicholson does in one game.

Nicholson to me is a poor mans Stanton. Elite endurance, shonky kick. The difference is Stanton is at least always in the right spots.

Another comparable player with Nicholson would be Harry O'. They've moved him to a win because he can't defend and his endurance and speed make his handy.

With the loss of Grimes I feel that we have to get someone in who is ready made for AFL. Magner is that. He has worked his butt off at VFL level and now there is not one but two LTI, Clark has been given a best case scenario of 6 weeks but Grimes has been given 8-10 weeks.

He deserves it and we need a player other than Jones that can get the ball out of the guts.

And who else did very well on the weekend: David Rodan. Valenti has been getting high stats in the VFL for years, but was found out at AFL level. Cam Pedersen has also consistently performed at a "class above" level in the VFL.

High possession count in the VFL is no guarantee at all that a player will do the same or similar at AFL level.

In any case, Magner will get his chance, but I for one have difficulty seeing that it will make all that much difference.

Valenti was adjudged by the old footy dept, under bailey If I remember rightly, who had a different game style in mind...

who knows if he (Valenti) would be OK under this footy admin', who have a strong respect for hard workers who can get to contests & impact them?

the point is we need in/under ball magnets who can win the ball in tight & get it to our runners.

We need to be able to control or at least break even,,, on stoppages & clearances.

The team in its current level of physical presence at the stoppages need a player like Magner

There is no doubt that Magner is limited as a player but he is not alone by a big margin

Another one of those very effective VFL players that is NQR at AFL Level (Valenti is another)

One thing he does that lots of others dont do is have a crack and thats the reason he should be upgraded

I am rather confused at why Neeld wants players who thrive on the contest yet has no place for Magner

No rookie upgrade this week = no Magner.

Big week for him and Couch this week in the VFL (oh wait there is no VFL this week)!

To be honest I think Clisby would be in the picture as well, he hasn't racked up the big numbers like Terlich did in his one VFL game but Clisby is another speedy and skilled type that could be a chance if Nicholson or Strauss play poorly.

Sorry but discussing Nicholson and Kirk in the same post is quite unbelievable at this stage.

If Kirk donates his brain (footy brain that is) to Nicho then we might have a chance with him.

• Like 2