Demons in Sorrento

Demon_Chef

Very strange.

About an hour ago the memory of the players heading down to Lorne (?) before the Geelong game in '05 came flooding into my mind.

We did that a few years ago too after a bad lost and they went off to Lorne? and tell some "home" truths amongst each other. It didn't work.

it actually stank of follow the leader.

Geelong did it in their first premiership year where they went off together and were honest with each other so of course we did too.

The famous one was when the leadership group challenged Ablett Jnr.

One of my favourite quotes of Ablett's.

"I thought I worked hard and trained as hard as I could but when my peers questioned my application, I pushed myself to find another level in training and there was another level"

I'm hoping to god our players are brutally honest and a few stand up.

I'm hoping a certain Jack Watts talent can be harnessed.

• Like 2

Good idea. Away from the spotlights.

TALK BOYS. LET IT ALL OUT.

As long as it's not [censored] TALK.

As much as I like a wee dram or a glass of RED.

It doesn't achieve much if you are nissed as a pewt and can't remember what you said the night before.

I'm speaking from experience of course.

• Like 3

As long as it's not [censored] TALK.

As much as I like a wee dram or a glass of RED.

It doesn't achieve much if you are nissed as a pewt and can't remember what you said the night before.

I'm speaking from experience of course.

i doubt the fridge would be open (hope!)

I don't mind it.

We clearly can't turn our fortunes around in one week but the most glaring and most easily fixable problem we have is confidence.

Getting the group together to believe in each other again and work together is a good start. Hell, it can't hurt us anymore than we are already hurting.

Just wish when my work sucked and I wanted to stab everyone that they would pay for a getaway. Bastards won't even pay for flu shots!

• Like 3

after watching Scarlett on Open Mike, he said the team was lacking cohesiveness and work ethic, they had a terrible Culture.. going out.. sinkin [censored].. half assed training...

he said the open.heart chats to each other made them the powerhouse they are..

i know we arent Geelong talent wise.. but its a start!

I found the Scarlett interview fascinating, given our current predicament vis à vis theirs at that time.

The big question is - do our boys care enough? Do they HURT enough? The Cats did, but really do ours? Be honest. Do they really HURT? Some looked like it Saturday post match, but...............?????????

Good idea. Away from the spotlights.

TALK BOYS. LET IT ALL OUT.

Talk is fine, but only if it translates into ACTION.

TIME IS ON THE WING, GUYS: IT CANNOT GO ON LIKE THIS FOR LONG ALL BEFORE IT BECOMES TERMINAL. DO YOU CARE?? REALLY REALLY CARE?

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

Or maybe it is about rebuilding the confidence of a group of young men whose ability and ego has been trashed. To be booed off and trashed by your own supporters is something the younger men may not have encountered. Jimmy Toumpas was inconsolable after round 1, and the way Watts was shamed on the evening was deplorable coaching. The older guys way be able to take it but we have 4 first year players in the team and maybe this is when the old recruits bought in help rebuild the club of field??

• Like 4

the way things are going for us this will turn into some boozy fight outside the portsea pub

I hope they go on a week long bender. Let's face it, they would play far better [censored].

• Like 2

what a load - they just got lucky with recruiting and had some talented players. If they were underperforming we'd here more about that bloke that got caught with coke. Dees were a powerhouwe back in the early 2000s and people were saying the same thing about Geelong.

its simple - the dees just dont have the talent on the list

I have a sweet spot for the cats and follow them relatively closely as my father follows them. I remember the year the cats took their trip to Lorne. I remember discussing how bad they were with a cats supporter mate around the time of the trip. I remember looking at their list and thinking they are in real trouble. Joel Corey, Enright, Kelly were just not good enough. 18 months later they won a flag.

If you go back to the draw We had with them I think at the end of that year and trace the success of both teams they are polar opposites.

Things can turn around pretty quickly.

• Like 2

Nothing like a bonding session over a few too many 'sherbets', 'frothies' or 'jars', whatever your choice of terminology..

Stilnox?

Peptides seem to have helped a certain team, even if just a placebo effect.

Gotta try something.. Hope it's the start of some new attitudes on field. Not expecting miracles, just would like to watch a game without thinking about launching the remote at the TV :)

Apparently Neeld and the assistants went too. Glad about that, Neeld needs to endear himself more to the group, win them over, start earning respect rather than demanding it.

There you go, stuie.

Maybe Neeld is listening too? And learning? And developing, just like the players?

There you go, stuie.

Maybe Neeld is listening too? And learning? And developing, just like the players?

I really hope so Jumbo. The last thing we need is lose a coach.

As an aside if Neeld did go and Viney became caretaker again would that be the first time a bloke has been a caretaker coach at a VFL/AFL club more than once (at the same club that is)

• Like 1

There you go, stuie.

Spot on. If Neeld starts listening, there might be hope for us yet.

For a start, when his game plan isn't working (and it never has & never will) ... FGS let them try something different!

And instead of zone defence and kicking to contests ... can he even be persuaded to try manning up when they've got it and kicking & running into space when we've got it? Good basic accountable footy - like every other side does?

Apparently Neeld and the assistants went too. Glad about that, Neeld needs to endear himself more to the group, win them over, start earning respect rather than demanding it.

My view stuie is how can it possible make us worse.

It is worth the effort.