Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC Media Appearances on "Black Sunday"

Gorgoroth

What did you make of the game last night Stuie? Where does the blame lie for you?

I just don't even know anymore. Instinct says the lack of effort means the players don't have an emotional connection to the club. Whether that means the coach, the admin, the club overall I just don't know, I guess only the players do. If we knew exactly where the blame lay we'd be able to fix it.

McLardy on ABC

(missed the start)

McLardy says that Neeld and Craig have strong personalities. They're not going to be 'dominated' by Schwab. Schwab works with them to get our on-field performances right. Our past two weeks are unacceptable. But we have to keep it in perspective. Only those on the inside know what it's like truly. We have to wait to see how we go.

What message will the club send to its members? What approach do we take? McLardy says the one thing we can't do is react to all the different comments. We have to believe in our process, however, we understand that there are problems. We had a calm discussion last night to talk about what we do this week. We know the media is going to come at us, we know heads will be called for. McLardy asks our supporters to trust that the club can handle serious issues; we've done it the last few years, and we need to do it again. We believe it that this is a football department issue, and as such, they will get the resources they need to make it better. We all know, players included, the players are underperforming.

What answers have the football department given the Board for our malaise? McLardy says there isn't an answer; if there was, we'd have fixed it. We know we trained well over summer, but we're not seeing that on gameday. Whatever the answer is, we need to find it and fix it.

Is Neeld's job guaranteed? McLardy says he hasn't even spoken to Neeld about his job. MFC has a history of knee-jerk reactions. Before McLardy took the job, he spoke to Frank Costa and others who have succeeded. They said that stability is crucial. We need stability to make progress. Radical change now is not good for the club. We need to see this through with calm and methodical processes.

• Like 7

Whateley has Schwab in his sights

Whately can go and crawl under a pile of horse sh!t .

Who cares what a weedy geek like him thinks.

• Like 1

Time to walk boys (club). I will not attend another game until the entire 186 Board is gone.

They are now the 186 Board.

Always thought you were a weak supporter, will now refer to you as why you loser............oh and close the door on the way out.

• Like 1

Time to walk boys (club). I will not attend another game until the entire 186 Board is gone.

They are now the 186 Board.

As much as it pains me I'm actually in agreement with this. I don't think I can attend until these incompetents are gone from our club.

• Like 1

Always thought you were a weak supporter, will now refer to you as why you loser............oh and close the door on the way out.

Think what you like.

Tanking has left a terrible legacy on this club.

When players want out the board must go.

I still support the club. Not the board

• Like 1

Pathetic comment. Keep cheering on the real losers though, sycophant.

well off you go then, I will still buy my membership and go to games, might not like what I see but I am still a member and supporter, but you go with why you loser!!!!

I actually respect Whately as I don't think he's sensationalistic. His points are valid about Schwab but I think we have to hold firm for the time being. It's obvious that the plan isn't working but changing 2 games in only makes it more difficult to get the quality to the club we need.

I know it sucks and believe me I know it's going to hurt. I hate sitting at the ground while we get laughed at but a new CEO won't improve our midfield this year, but come the end of the year he needs to go.

• Like 1

well off you go then, I will still buy my membership and go to games, might not like what I see but I am still a member and supporter, but you go with why you loser!!!!

Paid up member 3165.

How should i voice my discontent.

You keep clapping them off after each game...hoping JW turns it around.

Go number 4

I actually respect Whately as I don't think he's sensationalistic. His points are valid about Schwab but I think we have to hold firm for the time being. It's obvious that the plan isn't working but changing 2 games in only makes it more difficult to get the quality to the club we need.

I know it sucks and believe me I know it's going to hurt. I hate sitting at the ground while we get laughed at but a new CEO won't improve our midfield this year, but come the end of the year he needs to go.

No. He has to go this week.
  • Like 1

I like Neil Craig, i think he's a smart guy, it just seems that, like us, a lot of footy passion has been sucked out of him lately.

He is and it hasn't. Have spoken to him a few times. He is a realist. He is also very experienced in AFL football. We are a poor list and have a pathetic midfield. That can't be changed overnight, but it will be. More pain to come but it does need to change in the effort department. hardest challenge will be to keep everyone together and trying.

• Like 2

Do you just get on here to snipe at people? got anything related to football to say or are you just about calling people weak and of low character because they react to continual failure? Guess what mate - people can react anyway they like. If your ok with where the club is at that is fine - if you want to defend everyone at the club that is fine - but your incessant sniping is really starting to get annoying.

Honestly dealing with where the club is at is hard enough without some random bloke getting on and abusing people for venting their spleen. if you dont like it mate talk footy or go somewhere else.

• Like 1

"McLardy and Schwab are tied at the hip" just like some posters here........let me think Range Rover and Why You Loser, ring a bell.

instead of sniping how about some football insights. Got any of them?

I've already said as long as there's an MFC I'll buy my premium membership and buy one for my son. But supporting these incompetents isn't just futile it's reprehensible. I support the club not the CEO or President who come and go. Everyone has an expiry date and Schwab's and McLardy's gets closer everyday. I just hope we can rid our club of them before we lose guys like Frawley and Jones to free agency.

• Like 4

"McLardy and Schwab are tied at the hip" just like some posters here........let me think Range Rover and Why You Loser, ring a bell.

Like i said. Keep supporting the current Clown School.

Certain players want out. Do you understand that???

These guys are finished. TANKING STRATEGY FAILED.

GOODBYE....Go.

• Like 1

Yeah lets take advice from two wankers!!! a coach who got a bloke beat up as a training drill and a jurno who thinks he's bright, good one.

Agree. Lose 2 games badly, yes and then the AFL takes over the club. Demetriou would laugh his head off at the suggestion.

However, ask the AFL for some help, draft picks, money, reverse the fine, admin advice , sure that is feasible and would be seriously considered.

Schwab on MMM

We were a finals team up until 2006. We tipped over the edge after that. We were never as good as it may have appeared, back then. Now, Schwab believes it's not as bad as it appears. From the club's point of view, there's no need to look back. We're here now, and our job is to improve from here.

Since 2003 the club has had 14 first round draft picks - why haven't they worked? Have the resources been in place to help these kids prosper? Schwab says no Melbourne person can put their hand on their heart and say we had the resources to develop any player. However, that's not an excuse. We are judged by our drafting and our development, and that's how it is for all clubs. The players we take early are the ones who get scrutinised. We've begun to put in place structures which will maximise the quality of the players coming in. We now have a financial model which can support this; the first time in 2-3 generations of MFC players we can say this. It's been a challenge for us, but it's also been a challenge for other clubs who have been OK, so it's no excuse.

Carey talks about leadership. Strong clubs have strong leaders, in various roles. Carey looks at Melbourne and sees no leader in any area. Schwab responds by saying he understands that point of view. However, Schwab says he says the day-to-day stuff, he sits in on meetings, and he sees an emerging group. Some players show leadership in different ways; for some, it's obvious on the field (he mentions Jones), but for others, they do it other ways. He says we have a backbone. People underestimate Jack Grimes. He conducts himself as a strong leader. Trengove is 'not far behind him' in those regards, and Schwab says they conduct themselves well as leaders and they have the capacity to influence their teammates. The decision we took to appoint Grimes and Trengove as captains was a signal to the footy world of where we are at with our leaders. This is the core of our group, and it's very young.

Carey says we need more than Jones, Grimes and Trengove. Who else is there? Schwab says Mitch Clark goes in that group. Dawes also has an influence. He then says Viney and Toumpas will get there, but they're young. He mentions Tom McDonald as someone who plays with purpose. He then says Frawley can become a leader too.

He's asked where he's been in the media for the last few months. Schwab answers by saying he's had other things to do. He had to deal with the tanking investigation, he was a part of that directly, so he had things to do there. He says there is a time and place for CEOs to step forward and speak. He says that the strongest leadership can at times be to say nothing and allow others at the club (e.g. McLardy, Neeld) to have their space. He has no concerns about being quieter, he says it's a part of his role.

Did the tanking investigation bog us down over the preseason? Schwab said it had an impact on those who it involved, but it had no impact on the football group. There is a strong group - Neeld, Viney, Harrington, Mahoney. Schwab said he had a priority to let Neeld and co. have their space during the investigation, and he sees the quality coming from them. However, he admits we need to win or it hardly matters.

How is the playing group this morning? Schwab says he can describe last night. Schwab said he saw players who were genuinely upset. He says that he knows players can bounce back quickly, they have no choice but to bounce back. Their performance creates discussion and 'narrative' in the media, and we have to cope with that, but they need to rebound. He then says Grimes and Jones put their hands up to deal with the media, then this morning Garland and Clark, who are in the leadership group, stood up and did media stuff. He says the players are 'ambitious and caring' who know they have a long way to go, but they won't be sooking or feeling sorry for themselves.

Watts' name is then brought up. The crowd turned on him last night. Where is he at with his footy? Schwab said his preseason was good, but he's not been able to take that form and play well. His standard is not up to our expectations, or his. From Watts' point of view, the biggest challenge is playing to the best of his talent, being number 1 pick has nothing to do with it. The pressure doesn't help, but he deals with it well. His challenge is to play to his ability, and he's not doing that now. He has a 'critical role' to play, but he's been disappointing. The expectation is on him to improve, but he's not the only one who needs to.

What does Schwab say to those who are calling for Neeld's head? He says our goal is, despite the two games so far, to stick with Neeld and 'get around him'. He'll get support from everyone at the club.

• Like 2