Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

I am not in the business of speculating - I believe it will be a very considered decision by the powers concerned - there is no room for error anymore.

Fair enough.

Who would u like as our next coach H?

what exactly would be bad about Rodney Eade coaching us?

He is the easy, mediocre option. Around the level of Gary Ayres or Neil Craig.

He is not Leigh Matthews, nor Paul Ross, not even the Chocmaster.

He is a boring easy option who will leave the club lethargic and battling to make finals.

We need a "great" coach, not a good coach, if we want to win a premiership.

If they have already selected eade without speaking to Lethal, I will not renew next year. I've had a gutful of lazy, boring, stuipid and 2nd rate decision making. I am a winner, I want my son to be a winner, the last 6 years if this clubs history has been nothing short of disgraceful. Selecting eade with canvassing premiership coaches will be the last straw for me.

Edited by tonatopia

He is the easy, mediocre option. Around the level of Gary Ayres or Neil Craig.

He is not Leigh Matthews, nor Paul Ross, not even the Chocmaster.

He is a boring easy option who will leave the club lethargic and battling to make finals.

We need a "great" coach, not a good coach, if we want to win a premiership.

If they have already selected eade without speaking to Lethal, I will not renew next year. I've had a gutful of lazy, boring, stuipid and 2nd rate decision making. I am a winner, I want my son to be a winner, the last 6 years if this clubs history has been nothing short of disgraceful. Selecting eade with canvassing premiership coaches will be the last straw for me.

Bit harsh there. Eade has a career coaching record of 54%, a great effort considering the amount of games he has coached (317) and that he did most of it with the cash strapped Doggies. (317).

Not many coaches bat above .500, but hes doing it easily.

Sure he hasnt won a flag, but that doesn't mean he isnt good enough to.

He had the Bulldogs in the top 4 for 3 straight seasons and they are arguably less resourced than even us. He coached the Swans into a Grand Final in his first season on the job.

Absolutely laughable to suggest he would be a bad appointment for the MFC.

• Like 3

Bit harsh there. Eade has a career coaching record of 54%, a great effort considering the amount of games he has coached (317) and that he did most of it with the cash strapped Doggies. (317).

He had the Bulldogs in the top 4 for 3 straight seasons and they are arguably less resourced than even us. He coached the Swans into a Grand Final in his first season on the job.

My wish list HH is the following in order of importance:

Roos

Mathews

Choco

Eade

Harvey

I'm agreeing with most people in regard to Eade, he did exceptionally well at both Sydney and Bulldogs both clubs were very cashed strapped and less rescoured than us, Eade is a great motivator and a great peoples person, would be a great fit for this club. Ayres on the other would also be a great fit for us too another Allan Jeans pupil, having a good winning rate a both Geelong and Adelaide and seems to have done an exceptional at Port Melbourne. Both of these guys have been involved in a powerhouse club in the 1980s playing in grand finals and premierships!!

Not too keen on Matthews now he hasn't coached since 2008 and these days you must still be in the coaching system to have a chance, he is far better now as just a mentor!

Worsfold doesn't appeal too much, I know he got the Eagles to the 2006 flag but that still seems a very tainted premiership with some of their stars. He has also coached some ordinary eagles lineups in recent times finishing near the bottom doesn't really comes across as a great motivator either!

Harvey/Ratten, Simple NO. Just don't have enough runs on the board to qualify for our needs they just seem to be good assistants!

My whishlist:

Eade

Ayres

Williams!

My wish list HH is the following in order of importance:

Roos

Mathews

Choco

Eade

Harvey

Same as mine, although Ratten & Woosher would be in there somewhere

Edit: + Ayres

Edited by Tricky

Same as mine, although Ratten & Woosher would be in there somewhere

Agree. Both have done pretty well getting teams off the carpet.

Ratten would be my first pick (from an armchair board member position). I reckon he did pretty well with a poor list + Judd.

If Matthews, Roos, choco, worships, clarkson & Thompson say No, then go for eade.

Right now, we need a "great" coach, who can win premierships.

If we select eade, we might aswell sack neeld now and give the coaching position to Neil Craig. Both B+ grade coaches.

Fair enough.

Who would u like as our next coach H?

I do have my own 'ideal world' choice if he was available, but let me answer your question in a roundabout way.

I believe MN was a poor choice, partly because of the way he was chosen - one person making the choice is not good. I do not want to see that again and I do not believe it will happen this time around.

My preference for coach is not relevant - this time around it would appear that the choice will be made on a much more considered basis.

If due process is followed, I will support whoever is chosen as Coach of MFC - the Club is bigger than the individual.

• Like 1

Rodney Eade = Another MFC fail and possibly the last appointment prior to us being relocated against our wishes by the then Administrator (The AFL).

Assuming Neeld is going to be axed before his contract finishes (and I dont think he should until he's been given the bulk of next year to see how things go after a 3rd pre season, subject to no further 148 type disasters), If we're to have any chance of resuscitating this comatose club the only acceptable replacement is a proven premiership coach...

Thompson; and then in no particular order or preference

Choco Williams

Worsfold

Clarkson

By appointing a premiership coach the players have to step up or step aside. There'll be no more "Can this bloke coach" questionmark.

Given enough time (ok this might take 5 years or so lol) I reckon Neeld would be as capable as Rodney "Uninspiring" Eade

Edited by Rusty Nails

Some people are seriously underselling Rodney Eade in this thread. 1 GF, 3 Prelims and a 54% winning record.. good tactician and communicator. May not be a Premiership coach but nobody is deluded enough to think we will be pushing for one any time soon do we?

Eade will get us back up the ladder in time.. that's all we need at the moment.

By appointing a premiership coach the players have to step up or step aside. There'll be no more "Can this bloke coach" questionmark.

Given enough time (ok this might take 5 years or so lol) I reckon Neeld would be as capable as Rodney "Uninspiring" Eade

I really don't think you have thought this part of your post through!

Some people are seriously underselling Rodney Eade in this thread. 1 GF, 3 Prelims and a 54% winning record.. good tactician and communicator. May not be a Premiership coach but nobody is deluded enough to think we will be pushing for one any time soon do we?

Eade will get us back up the ladder in time.. that's all we need at the moment.

Eade will get us up the ladder, that's all we need ATM?

Come on mate, culture change means ridding the place of mediocrity, complacency and excuse making.

Compare eases record against Leigh Matthews 4 premierships as coach and greatest player of all time, then ask yourself, who would give us a better chance of winning a premiership.

Do I really have to explain to you that Matthews is the best coach currently not coaching?

Sometimes I think that I am talking to kindergarten children who are only 4 years old.

Get a grip, if Leigh is interested, GET HIM!!!!!!!!

Eade is a master tactician, don't undersell what he did with the doggies...he developed a game to suit the list he had. If he had Hall a year or 2 earlier they would have won a flag.

I'm sure this time through Leigh will be sounded out but I'm not so sure he is the man for the job, being out of the game for nearly 6 years is a long time in football and I find his expert commentary a fair bit behind the game when compared to someone like Ling who is recently retired.

People mention the likes of Alex Ferguson as older coaches but he never left the game, he was always involved.

Eade will get us up the ladder, that's all we need ATM?

Come on mate, culture change means ridding the place of mediocrity, complacency and excuse making.

Compare eases record against Leigh Matthews 4 premierships as coach and greatest player of all time, then ask yourself, who would give us a better chance of winning a premiership.

Do I really have to explain to you that Matthews is the best coach currently not coaching?

Sometimes I think that I am talking to kindergarten children who are only 4 years old.

Get a grip, if Leigh is interested, GET HIM!!!!!!!!

A few things.

1. Yes Eade will get us up the ladder. HIs 54% winning record and multiple Top 4 finishes with Dogs/Swans would point to that.

2. Leigh Matthews has not coached at AFL level for over 5 years. In that time, tactics, sports science, rule changes etc have evolved at a rapid rate. Should we sound out Denis Pagan, Kevin Sheedy, Malcolm Blight while we're at it? They are just as successful as Lethal.

3. Personal insults don't help your argument.

I'd prefer Eade over Matthews. Lethal has been out of the game a while now, and his commentary leads me to believe there have been a few more screws loosened in that time. And there is of course THAT comment about the Clark selection. Frankly I'd be very surprised if he had any interest at all in the position.

Rocket's finger has never left the pulse, and his record, whilst without the ultimate success, speaks for itself. I think he'd be up for it and would be a great get, althogh Roos and Choco are still ahead of him on my wish list, whilst Clarkson is a pipe dream.

• Like 1

A few things.

1. Yes Eade will get us up the ladder. HIs 54% winning record and multiple Top 4 finishes with Dogs/Swans would point to that.

2. Leigh Matthews has not coached at AFL level for over 5 years. In that time, tactics, sports science, rule changes etc have evolved at a rapid rate. Should we sound out Denis Pagan, Kevin Sheedy, Malcolm Blight while we're at it? They are just as successful as Lethal.

3. Personal insults don't help your argument.

Don't you think it is strange that players can have good games and bad games. Also, all teams have good games and bad games. The tactics, structures and strategies do not really change week to week , it is the emotional and mental attitude taken into those games which really defines how well a team is going to play. I think Bailey, who valued spirit, was a prime example of this. Also neeld, and his lack of eq and pure focus on strategy was his downfall.

Football's current 'fad' of sport science will quickly be replaced by 'master motivators' supported by a simple game plan.

Our club was duped by this 'sport science at all costs' bulltish.

Afl is a gladiatorial sport, no matter how good your 'game plan' is, if your not mentally and spiritually ready to go to battle, then you will not win.

For this reason, I would select a coach who is a master motivator who also is an elite strategist. Leigh Matthews is the best in the business, and he is still heavily involved in football, by being paid plenty of $$$ to be an elite football analysts. He is still heavily involved in the game, reading patterns and game plans.

His presence alone would create an automatic 'buy in' from players, supporters, board members and the media.

To dismiss Leigh because he has been simply studying the game for the last 6 years is a bit narrow minded.

If he thinks he is ready to coach, you should not be arrogant enough to over-ride him and say 'no, you can't. Our club has made that mistake too many times. We must surrender our arrogance.

Lethal must be approached!

• Like 1