McLardy, Schwab and Co must go

Muvver Jones

Mate it's not the title of the thread.... it's your continual moaning....I like reading other posters views whether I agree or not....But you have a bee in your little bonnet and are the most depressing poster on here......Just saying ....What is your alternative ....If they all go tomorrow......Who would you have replace them???????

The truth is depressing Bossdog. The title of the the thread is "McLardy, Schwab and Co must go". If you don't like the content herein ... don't read it.

• Like 1

The club and everone involved in it would have been galvanized by taking on the AFL.

One million is nothing compared to the ongoing damage to the club's morale and (whatever was left of) it's fighting spirit. The damage to its brand through lost memberships, kids turning away from us, jittery sponsors etc ... Not to mention the actual 500K fine we copped for exactly what who the hell knows!

It can't be stressed how critical a moment that was in the history of the MFC in terms of requiring strong leadership. But it didn't materialize.

You shouldn't have any fear putting your own money into it then.

Mate it's not the title of the thread.... it's your continual moaning....I like reading other posters views whether I agree or not....But you have a bee in your little bonnet and are the most depressing poster on here......Just saying ....What is your alternative ....If they all go tomorrow......Who would you have replace them???????

Not speaking for RR but if we cannot resolve our problems which seems the case then the AFL should step in and place in a temporary administration. The current board and CEO are disfunctional and in a state of paralysis. Replacing with a new admisitration that may not be completely neutral may not resolve the problems and internal divisions. The board should be disolved, the CEO sacked and replace them with competant baggage free professionals. In due time fresh elections can be held. Edited by Muvver Jones

Not speaking for RR but if we cannot resolve our problems which seems the case then the AFL should step in and place in a temporary administration. The current board and CEO are disfunctional and in a state of paralysis. Replacing with a new admisitration that may not be completely neutral may not resolve the problems and internal divisions. The board should be disolved, the CEO sacked and replace them with competant baggage free professionals. In due time fresh elections can be held.

Yes I don't see any other way at this point.

Not speaking for RR but if we cannot resolve our problems which seems the case then the AFL should step in and place in a temporary administration. The current board and CEO are disfunctional and in a state of paralysis. Replacing with a new admisitration that may not be completely neutral may not resolve the problems and internal divisions. The board should be disolved, the CEO sacked and replace them with competant baggage free professionals. In due time fresh elections can be held.

Do you really believe that it would be so simple?????

Where are you going to find all these people??????

Every body has baggage.......

A fresh start might be the answer but it may just destroy the club.......

You need first to find people that are prepared to do a hell of a lot of work....Unpaid work...and form a ticket to run against the current board....

I believe this club has done a lot since the last board was in charge......It on the field that we need to improve....and then no one would be moaning about boards and CEO"s boot studders and the like.....

Bossdog, what I have been trying to say, the only problem is on field, RR never prefaces his posts with I think, I will, just bald untrue statements, you will never win there, but he will also produce no action, he will try and convince others to carry out his agenda....keyboard warrior was coined for him...also Muvver are u going to stand in the elections coz I will...quite simple put up or shut up

• Like 1

An overview of the club and Schwab's "achievements" since returning to MFC;

I think that is fairly comprehensive though I have likely overlooked some things which I am happy to edit in if anyone cares to point them out. I have tried to be fair and include the positives as well but the negatives comprehensively outweight them from my assessment. Others can make up their minds on what this all means but for me it points to a dearth of leadership at the top of the club and a dysfunctional relationship between the CEO and the rest of the club.

A great summary Dr. Thank you.

In the end Cameron has no doubt had good intentions when he first came onto the scene and probably did some good initial work. I don't believe anybody comes into a position like this with the intentions to wreck the place. I'm sure his heart was in the right place and still is.

However, the significant influence of the premiership model, trashing of senior players in favour of youth policy/drafting. Then the apparent continual micro managing into the FD/players, appears to have had a lasting and a detrimental impact on some of the playing group and no doubt left a sour taste with some in the FD (prior to Bailey being sacked), some of whom still remain (players too). The fact that the board failed to recognise the reasoning behind the dire actions of the playing group after 186, is IMHO, a poor reflection of those at Board level, in particular McLardy, who was the main man in control at the time. CS having effectively been sacked during the actual occurrence and Jimmy in no state to be controlling or making decisions at this point. Regardless of the level of truth in this, perceptions in business (and in a football club) if they are persistent and damaging enough are in the end reality.

It is alleged that after 186, McLardy/Stynes also (according to reports) took advice from Mr G Lyon (again) on what was the best course of action before proceeding with the sacking of Bailey. The sacking of CS & Bailey at the time was spoken against as it would be seen as too unsettling for the club. In addition the board extended CS's contract for another year! A grave error IMO. Again, the main man making those decisions (even though reportedly a great bloke and someone who makes great sacrifices and who means well, and i'm sure he is and does)....McLardy.

As to why we keep turning to Garry for advice. Smacks of complete amaturism. Nothing to do with Garry as he's only getting involved after being asked. But it's an easy gig to come in and review or advise, then depart and watch/commentate from the safety of the media sidelines with no further involvement or accountability.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 3

'why you little' do you have a legal background? What is your understanding of the repercussions to the Club if they fought all the way to the Supreme Court and lost? The Director who coordinated our response to the tanking charges is Guy Jalland (profile below). He is an extremely experienced corporate lawyer, has worked for the Packers for 15 years. For mine he and the board did the right thing in reaching a settlement and avoiding a finding of tanking and draft penaltys. Interested in your response.

Guy is 51 years of age and holds a Batchelor of Laws degree from Melbourne University.

Commencing in 1998, Guy was employed as a senior executive of Consolidated Press Holdings Limited. Between 2004 and 2007 Guy acted as Group Legal Counsel and Company Secretary of Publishing and Broadcasting Limited (then 38% owned by CPH). Following the demerger of PBL last year, Guy returned to CPH.

Before CPH, Guy Jalland was employed as a senior executive with Village Roadshow Limited; as a partner in a Melbourne law firm; and worked in various positions in Asia and Europe.

Guy commutes between Melbourne and Sydney. He is married with 4 children, and is a lifelong Melbourne supporter.

So glad you are happy with the situation of paying Half a $mill for being not guilty...The repercussions of not showing fight imo can be beautifull summed up in 2 words....Last Sunday..

We ,may well have got hit hard in the courts, but i doubt it...One thing i do know is we would have shown some fight, something sadly lacking as we all can see.

• Like 1

Bottom line is that all these guys have worked hard, but after 7 years we are going backwards again. Yes they did some good things, but the reversal of strategy on the Tanking issue with the acceptance of a $ Half Mill not guilty verdict overshadows their entire reign.

To then refuse to speak to the shareholders about it is to me simpy untrustworthy.

It was their strategy to follow & they f$&@dd it up but remain in the cone of silence.

Not good enough for me, but i do understand we need an alternative plan.

Dr. G's above rundown is compelling reading

This is the sour icing on what is already a failed cake WYL.

It's the ultimate slap in the face for the supporters of this club, the players and the existing (potential!) sponsors. As RR has said many times.....has had a massive detrimental impact on the club as a whole. McLardy and Schwab must be replaced ASAP in order to halt the cancer they started under and during their watch.

Unfortunately you must have a decent replacement ticket in the wings and at this point, other than a wiff of a rumour about Greg Wells, there appears to be no "white knight" ticket putting its hand up. Maybe this will emerge as the year progresses.

• Like 3

In the Age today it states that the AFL are very concerned about the state of our club. And Demetriou saying that he is hoping we do well tonight. against Essendon. On face value this looks like wishful thinking. This may be a precurser to AFL intervention if things don't improve.

This is a worrying sign, i don't believe Demetriou would want the AFL to step in, as this would reek of complete and utter failure of a club's board/admin. However, our board has already shown itself to be extremely week and vulnerable to whatever the AFL "wishes" after rolling over on the tanking fiasco.

'why you little' do you have a legal background? What is your understanding of the repercussions to the Club if they fought all the way to the Supreme Court and lost? The Director who coordinated our response to the tanking charges is Guy Jalland (profile below). He is an extremely experienced corporate lawyer, has worked for the Packers for 15 years. For mine he and the board did the right thing in reaching a settlement and avoiding a finding of tanking and draft penaltys. Interested in your response.

Guy is 51 years of age and holds a Batchelor of Laws degree from Melbourne University.

Commencing in 1998, Guy was employed as a senior executive of Consolidated Press Holdings Limited. Between 2004 and 2007 Guy acted as Group Legal Counsel and Company Secretary of Publishing and Broadcasting Limited (then 38% owned by CPH). Following the demerger of PBL last year, Guy returned to CPH.

Before CPH, Guy Jalland was employed as a senior executive with Village Roadshow Limited; as a partner in a Melbourne law firm; and worked in various positions in Asia and Europe.

Guy commutes between Melbourne and Sydney. He is married with 4 children, and is a lifelong Melbourne supporter.

No doubt a well qualified and experienced man demoniac, but in the end he's under instruction. That instruction comes from the board as a whole, including McLardy. A well run board would also be seeking advice from Guy for sure. Maybe it's biggest influence. But the board would also have some input/advice from the CEO as he has to live with and deal with the fall out post the decision.

I'll put it in capitals for everybody so it may sink in

IF YOU WERE NOT STOOD NEXT TO THE PARTICIPANTS IN ANY OF THESE SO CALLED INCIDENTS/SCENARIOS MEETINGS......HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED...YOU DON'T ......you are relying pn rumour/innuendo etc etc......go to the game tonight if the players don't turn up AGAIN...THEN TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.....I will be personally agitating for changes to the whole FOOTY DEPT coz that is where the problem IS...offfield we are ticking along........here is a novel concept come in on Monday to ring around the members to renew, then you will get to speak to Club staff fand other members to get the real feeling

The truth is depressing Bossdog. The title of the the thread is "McLardy, Schwab and Co must go". If you don't like the content herein ... don't read it.

Bossdog is correct, i want the CEO gone as well but bitching about everyday is not going to make it happen, i think everyone knows how you feel.

• Like 2

Bossdog, what I have been trying to say, the only problem is on field, RR never prefaces his posts with I think, I will, just bald untrue statements, you will never win there, but he will also produce no action, he will try and convince others to carry out his agenda....keyboard warrior was coined for him...also Muvver are u going to stand in the elections coz I will...quite simple put up or shut up

Not everyone who commentates is able, or necessarily qualified, to stand for election on a board Satyric. Very few seats available anyway. But as paid up members we have the right to observe and make up our own minds. We also have the right to state them freely provided we aren't breaching any slander laws etc and retain some respect for those who are in these positions of control and power and no doubt trying to carry out a pretty tough gig on behalf of the club and its members.

• Like 2

Not everyone who commentates is able, or necessarily qualified, to stand for election on a board Satyric. Very few seats available anyway. But as paid up members we have the right to observe and make up our own minds. We also have the right to state them freely provided we aren't breaching any slander laws etc and retain some respect for those who are in these positions of control and power and no doubt trying to carry out a pretty tough gig on behalf of the club and its members.

Rusty, if enough people agree with you, you can get voted onto the Board, so you don't need to be qualified you just have to have a thick skin to put up with the [censored] on this board and in the media. we don't know the work the Board is doing, that is my point, the problem at the moment in my opinion is with the players

Don McLardy told me he went to the team meeting before training on Friday, what do you think he said, he didn't tell me directly but I got the gist and it wasn't "same again this week boys"

Same with Demetriou, what do you want him to say, "Melbourne's performance was a great advertisement for AFL"

Keyboard warriors on this site rant, rave and moan, ask for some action and it's "oh not me, I was just sayin"

• Like 1

Rusty, if enough people agree with you, you can get voted onto the Board, so you don't need to be qualified you just have to have a thick skin to put up with the [censored] on this board and in the media. we don't know the work the Board is doing, that is my point, the problem at the moment in my opinion is with the players

Don McLardy told me he went to the team meeting before training on Friday, what do you think he said, he didn't tell me directly but I got the gist and it wasn't "same again this week boys"

Same with Demetriou, what do you want him to say, "Melbourne's performance was a great advertisement for AFL"

Keyboard warriors on this site rant, rave and moan, ask for some action and it's "oh not me, I was just sayin"

Anything's possible Satyr but in the end you also have to have some clout/connections with big business circles or other circles of influence (say politically or within the AFL itself), offer some sort of professional asset (eg., Guy's legal/business background) or carry some significant weight with you football wise (ie., a past player like Greg Healey or past experience running a business/club etc). Anyone can put their name up sure, but if you're a no name with few connections other than as a long term member/supporter or aren't bringing a wod of folding stuff with you, a la Diamond Jo....you're just wasting your time.

Agree that some comments on this board, including mine, are seen as ranting and probably are, but in the end supporters rant because they want a better performance on the field. To get the best on the field you need eveyone to be pulling in the same direction and playing their part, including off it. I'm not saying that McLardy and the board aren't. All i'm suggesting is that they're past performance is an indication that we could have done better and should do so from here, subject to finding an alternative ticket that i believe is a reasonable to significant improvement on this one.

If you're saying the supporters aren't able to voice their opinion and attempt to "shape" the nature/culture of a football club, whether it's via emails, phoning the club, discussions with executive or on here, then i'm not sure how you would expect us to otherwise, other than when we vote for re-election of existing board members or new ones or maybe at AGMs (held only once a year) where there's little provision/time to do so.

If you don't like the warrior side of things on here, no one's forcing you to contribute or stay. But you're more than welcome to! B)

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

An update from outside the bubble (though I'm sure that others here go to the games of opposing clubs).

Last night, as I said in earlier posts, I bit the bullet. I decided I was sick to death of going to games that were over by half time and I decided to go to see Richmond vs. St. Kilda with my girlfriend (who has never seen a game of football before).

I realized there is something wrong with the club from the top (admin) to the supporters (not of their own doing but with the general vibe surrounding them).

St. Kilda are far from flying at the moment. Yet, I didn't sense the 'if we are still in it at half time, I might not go home.' vibe from their fans. Richmond supporters, whose team lost a lot of close games last year and have a reputation for turning quickly, didn't go to water as soon as St. Kilda got close. Both teams fought it out. At the end, Richmond won by a reasonable margin but if I were a St. Kilda supporter, I would be reasonably happy with the endeavor shown.

On top of that, unlike the MFC, there were no cheesy gimmicks designed to allow us to 'reconnect with our heritage'. No buglers, no marching bands, no BS. People were expected to go to the game based on, bear with me as you may fall over out of shock, THE ATHLETIC COMPETITION OUT ON THE GROUND!

Why can't we go back to being a club that is about football instead of stupid marketing ploys like blazers, buglers and open ended rebuilding projects that get relabelled 'footballing journeys' to make them sound more new age and less pathetic? We have been in the past. I remember the early days of Swooper Northey. The club actually was aiming to win the PREMIERSHIP! Who'd have thunk it? Even up till '94, that was our main objective every year. From 96 onwards, it seemed we just became happy to survive and we seemed determined to find some new wanky way to market the club. 2008 onwards seemed to be the absolute zenith of the ass hattery.

RANT OFF.

P.S. Don't come on here telling me how I should support someone else. I love the club and I want to see it do better but if you had a major problem, would you want people who would tell you some home truths or someone who enabled your destructive behavior to be your support network? I'm sick to death of a club that wants to celebrate stuff that happened before color TV, decimal currency and the Australian national anthem. THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MINUTE! Bloody Bob Menzies was the PM when we won our last flag! He has been dead for 34 years!

Edited by Guest

In the Age today it states that the AFL are very concerned about the state of our club. And Demetriou saying that he is hoping we do well tonight. against Essendon. On face value this looks like wishful thinking. This may be a precurser to AFL intervention if things don't improve.

Here we go again, everyone getting in an uproar over things supposedly said when the ACTUAL FACTS either don't support it or are open to wide interpretations...

Our old mate Jon Pierik wrote the artciel so do you wonder if it might already start with an anti MFC slant?

Here's the actual quotes from AD:

'Of course we are. I think we are,'' Demetriou said on Friday. ''We are like any other group. We really want the Melbourne Football Club to do well [on Saturday night] against Essendon.

''It would be great if they could turn it around. We don't want the situation where a club has a significant loss and people are outraged and booing.''

'This is the oldest club in the land. We want to see improvement. So, when you say are we worried, we are worried for them,'' Demetriou said on 3AW on Friday.

No mention of the board, admin, or even the supposedly evil Cam Schwab, but apparently now the AFL are about to intervene in the running of MFC?

Come on guys, seriously. I'm as upset as anyone about last weeks game, but let's at least use some logic and stop getting sucked in by the media types.

We had an AGM before the season and everybody sat on their hands, that is my point, hiding behind a keyboards. I speak face to face with Board members downwards, on here is nothing but spouting negativity, why don't they stay home, stop supporting the Club....that will show the Cub how they feell, gee we will miss you five or sux

Bossdog is correct, i want the CEO gone as well but bitching about everyday is not going to make it happen, i think everyone knows how you feel.

Mate if you think this week's "bitching" has been over the top you're in for a surprise in coming weeks. Better get used to it.

The Revolution is at the door and it will be televised!

Mate if you think this week's "bitching" has been over the top you're in for a surprise in coming weeks. Better get used to it.

Ha Ha good luck with that.

• Like 1

We had an AGM before the season and everybody sat on their hands, that is my point, hiding behind a keyboards. I speak face to face with Board members downwards, on here is nothing but spouting negativity, why don't they stay home, stop supporting the Club....that will show the Cub how they feell, gee we will miss you five or sux

Was that the same AGM were certain topics couldnt be discussed? and if you think that only 5 or 6 people think this way your dumber than your posts suggest.

• Like 2

Or the 22,000 who watched the Tour De Farce last week.

This incompetence is not just a matter of losing supporters today. It's about reaching out to future generations as well. There are children out there of Melbourne supporting parents who SHOULD be barracking for us. You will find that the following is happening in those households.

1) the kids stick with us but will have a bad impression of football and follow us begrudgingly.

2) the kid says to hell with this and barracks for another club.

3) the kid follows a different sport altogether.

For a club with a perilously small supporter base, this equation isn't healthy.

Last night was another turning point for me. I saw how football SHOULD be. Not the masquerade I have been seeing at recent Melbourne games. It wasn't always like this as I said earlier and I want it to be the way it was.

As far as this keyboard warriors crap, I wonder how many of us can take time away from our jobs, access our unlimited corporate and civic connections, raise the thousands of dollars and organize the PR work to mount a successful challenge to the board two weeks into the season? Be realistic. Even someone who could do all those things right now wouldn't as it would be akin to throwing an aerosol can on a bonfire. A lot of us just can't give that time investment/don't have the money or influence so we come here to get a load off our chest. Most of our rantings on here are just a way of venting and, believe me, we have plenty to vent about.

Edited by Guest

Or the 22,000 who watched the Tour De Farce last week.

. is incompetence is not just a matter of losing supporters today. It's about reaching out to future generations as well. There are children out there of Melbourne supporting parents who SHOULD be barracking for us. You will find that the following is happening in those households.

a) the kids stick with us but have a bad impression of football and follow us begrudgingly.

B) the kid says to hell with this and barracks for another club.

c) the kid follows a different sport altogether.

For a club with a perilously small supporter base, this equation isn't healthy.

Last night was another turning point for me. I saw how football SHOULD be. Not the masquerade I have been seeing at recent Melbourne games. It wasn't always like this as I said earlier and I want it to be the way it was.

As far as this keyboard warriors crap, I wonder how many of us can take time away from our jobs, access our unlimited corporate and civic connections, raise the thousands of dollars and organize the PR work to mount a successful challenge to the board two weeks into the season? Be realistic. Even someone who could do all those things right now wouldn't as it would be akin to throwing an aerosol can on a bonfire. A lot of us just can't give that time investment/don't have the money or influence so we come here to get a load off our chest. Most of our rantings on here are just a way of venting and, believe me, we have plenty to vent about.

Good post. And believe it or not ... social media has a role in generating change. You don't think the media hounds read these threads trolling for story ideas? Think again.

Satyricon wouldn't know what a warrior was even if Genghis Khan returned from the dead and bit him on the ar.e.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 1

Haha "the revolution".... Revolutions are about action not talking RR, and all you've done so far is talk...

Edited by stuie