Neeld apologists ... state your case.

P-man

He gets defended vehemently on here but surely even his biggest supporters must of had their belief shaken to the core today. I've never felt that way watching Melbourne play. Not even 186 felt like this. To call it an abysmal Round 1 performance is being kind.

Tell me why I should hold onto my belief in this bloke. There's been alot of hot air, great sounding hot air at that, but NOTHING to back it up. Not a sausage.

Can the club survive another 2012? Seriously?

• Like 3

I would not have described myself as a Neeld apologist or even supporter, but just thought he needed a bit of time to at least show what he can do. But as I stated in another thread, I don't think the coach is our main problem. He may well be one of the problems, but it starts a lot higher than him.

• Like 3

Have been a fan of what he has tried to do, have liked what he has said with the glaring exception of him pointing out way too often how inexperienced the list is.

Just had a question mark over whether he could actually coach. Today pretty much answered that question.

• Like 10

Im sure Neelds pregame address wasn't "go out, fumble and run slow."

we spend so much time blaming the coaches administration and anyone else we can, but if the players don't give a [censored] it doesnt matter if we ressurect norm smith and put him back in charge

Neeld has had a year with the team, he has recruited a massive number of players in the last off season. This is his list. And while they may not have part of the game plan down, or may even lack some basic skill, if they can't break a sweat in round 1 of a new season, that is a big indictment on the coach also.

• Like 5

I would not have described myself as a Neeld apologist or even supporter, but just thought he needed a bit of time to at least show what he can do. But as I stated in another thread, I don't think the coach is our main problem. He may well be one of the problems, but it starts a lot higher than him.

I've been in that school of thought all along but I watched a team today that had unquestionably gone backwards in its application, fitness and overall development. I can only judge on what I saw. If this is considered knee jerk then so be it, but we faced a young and inexperienced side with a first year coach and got completely annihilated.

The buck has to stop with the coach to a large degree. It has to.

• Like 1

In his defense he inherited a lazy bunch of b graders and had to clean the place out and couldn't or wouldn't do it after his first year so he's only just got started. 7 new players for the club today including 3 midfielders on debut and 4 guys (Rodan, Byrnes, pedersen and gillies) who aren't up to other clubs standards. How was that ever going to work.

We should of had Stef Martin, moloney, rivers, bennell, Morton and gysberts out there in their place but we all know that would of been even worse.

But I don't blame Neeld for the list management. I think in time it will prove to be reasonable.

I do blame Neeld for the game plan which is atrocious and only makes us worse. It's either too complicated or just wrong. Scrap it and play man on man.

I also blame him for the lack if individual improvement.

Mostly j blame him for the lack of pride and spirit. We own the 22 most insipid footballers in the league.

• Like 2

1 year in as a senior coach.

I rest my case.

Nope, I won't cop that. This is HIS team with a couple of pre-seasons under the belt and time to instill SOME SEMBLANCE of understanding of a gameplan. Hinkley has come in with a younger, more inexperienced side and bent Neeld over tactically, all in his first game as a senior coach, away from home.

• Like 7

Nope, I won't cop that. This is HIS team with a couple of pre-seasons under the belt and time to instill SOME SEMBLANCE of understanding of a gameplan. Hinkley has come in with a younger, more inexperienced side and bent Neeld over tactically, all in his first game as a senior coach, away from home.

i dont want to believe you are right, but deep down i know you are right. arggghh this hurts. again.

To me, the clearest indication that he is struggling is James Frawley. He got handed a star on a silver platter and now the guy is a shadow of his former self. He doesn't attack the footy and he rarely wins defensively. If you can't even coach someone as talented and as ready made to explode as Frawley, then you got no friggin idea. Now watch Frawley have 17 clubs roll out the red carpet for him when his contract is up, and give me one reason why he'd choose to stay?

I'm worried that even whatever good we do have, it is quickly being ruined.

• Like 7

To me, the clearest indication that he is struggling is James Frawley. He got handed a star on a silver platter and now the guy is a shadow of his former self. He doesn't attack the footy and he rarely wins defensively. If you can't even coach someone as talented and as ready made to explode as Frawley, then you got no friggin idea. Now watch Frawley have 17 clubs roll out the red carpet for him when his contract is up, and give me one reason why he'd choose to stay?

Is he a star though? Clearly he cant be bothered and I wonder whether he just had a good year and got ahead of himself. Rumours from his management he has wanted out for two years.

I agree. Frawley runs around in some stupid zone lost as can be. When he should be playing full back shutting down Schultz and running off him. He's wasted trying to play like nick maxwell in a team with zero midfield or forward pressure

I can't defend him. He can't coach.

Again we've been duped by platitudes.

And Garry Lyon should never ever have anything to do with the club in an administrative capacity ever again.

Sack Neeld.

You want to sack the coach after one match. That is just ridiculous. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and think about what you are saying. You can't sack a coach after round one. Get a grip.

• Like 4

Neeld needs to be held accountable!

Dont care what list he inhereted! Its part of his job to manage that!

How can Port get a new coach, new presi,finish down the bottom last yr & a financial mess & beat us by 13goals

He has turned over 14 players & we still no passion or pressure from the players why?

It appears that all of our experienced leaders Rivers & Moloney etc are all gone why? Rivers was a club man riped to be our leader!

Neeld is too much like a teacher & not able to get a buy in from the group...is us vs them culture!

This club & supporters/members want survive this [censored]! Ive been a 15yr member & supporter since 1969 & my son who is 15 has lost interest! Thats not fickle support thats a gutfull of crap!

Mclardy act know & find out WTF is wrong with NEELD & sack him as we the paying memberrs have paid over 5mill to clear the debt!

• Like 3

I've been in that school of thought all along but I watched a team today that had unquestionably gone backwards in its application, fitness and overall development. I can only judge on what I saw. If this is considered knee jerk then so be it, but we faced a young and inexperienced side with a first year coach and got completely annihilated.

The buck has to stop with the coach to a large degree. It has to.

Agree P_Man. Also interesting that the commentators on Thursday night criticised MM's game plan and said the Carlton players were having trouble learning it - sound familiar!