Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST GAME - ROUND 1

Demonland

This club has a history of putting in insipid performances each year - on average 3-5 per year. Regardless of who is coach and what playing group.

Its a cultural thing that has plagued our club for decades. We will come out next week and have a crack but we will fall back to our insipid ways again. Mark my words and count them during the year.

Changing culture is not easy and I thought Neeld was the man to do but now I doubt it.

3-5 a year?? I'll go for 8 -10. And try getting smacked in Rd 1 every year after 2005.

Its pathetic and disgusting.(thanks Caro)

Only the second game I have been to and the first was a drubbing by WC in 2009. Sorry guys and gals must have put the moz on us.

Two things really stood out to me

1. Tapscott really is a fervid Power supporter and

2. Not only were the team smashed but our cheer squad were humiliated by their opposition.

And to think I had $20 on the Gold Coast all up MFC.

All I can say is good grief

Geez that post game presser was depressing even more.

Neeld and Grimes have NO CLUE what happened or how to fix it.

Sure they seemed disappointed, but it was a passionless disappointment, almost a sense of resignation.

Make no mistake, we are going nowhere.

Watts kept talking about 'something needs to change'.

I wonder what that something is, maybe Neeld?

Neeld also asked the journalists whether they had any ideas for the future.

Neeld is in BIG BIG BIG trouble. He admitted he has no idea.

At least I am laughing now, the press conference was so insipid it was funny.

You never know, after this result, the board might extend Neelds contract by 4 years, so he can see out his 'long hard road of training preparation'.

What a goose!

Essendon will destroy Melbourne next week and WC will claw away what is left of them.

Hard to see how they will not be a 5 goal better team each quarter, so 20 goals loss would be the estimate.

The MFC will set a new low percentage record this year, and we will not win a game. Neeld will resign by round 13, and the future existence of our club will be the talking point of the AFL. This could actually happen.

This club has been so woefully and consistently mismanaged for the requirements of AFL football over the past 8 years, it just defies understanding. You can all talk about pre-existing culture as the problem, but this has been recognised within the club, because EVERYONE outside the club has talked about it. To fail so repeatedly and comprehensively to do anything about it is now the new story, and make no mistake, the media are going to run hard with it. They smell blood, and I truly fear it will be the end of this club in the form that we know it. It happened to South Melbourne and Fitzroy when the media were much less frenzied, and now it's happening to us.....

• Like 2

Hard to see how they will not be a 5 goal better team each quarter, so 20 goals loss would be the estimate.

The MFC will set a new low percentage record this year, and we will not win a game. Neeld will resign by round 13, and the future existence of our club will be the talking point of the AFL. This could actually happen.

This club has been so woefully and consistently mismanaged for the requirements of AFL football over the past 8 years, it just defies understanding. You can all talk about pre-existing culture as the problem, but this has been recognised within the club, because EVERYONE outside the club has talked about it. To fail so repeatedly and comprehensively to do anything about it is now the new story, and make no mistake, the media are going to run hard with it. They smell blood, and I truly fear it will be the end of this club in the form that we know it. It happened to South Melbourne and Fitzroy when the media were much less frenzied, and now it's happening to us.....

That is my worry as well. The media will smell blood. We thought we had it bad last year. There will be no balance.

jamar and moloney wouldve smashed the clearances today...

Bloody Oath.

Wouldve loved to see Moloney, Wines and Viney going ballistic in the centre and Frawley patrolling the defences with a warrior snarl.

Dosnt fit into the game plan tho.

NEWSFLASH

1. there is absolutely nothing a coach or player can possibly say that will satisfy anyone after a loss like that

2. despite this, we will still get posters expressing their outrage at whatever is that is said

FWIW I thought Watts seemed genuinely shattered, or did a good job pretending to be. He did not quite serve up the usual platitudes, obfuscations and prevarications you expect.

• Like 7

Thought they were already doing this.

Couldn't watch or listen today due to a Family BBQ but received regular scores from the smirking masses.

Listened to Wayne Carey on the way home and he was scathing of their collected lack of desire.

Never seen a more insipid effort etc.

As I said, I thought they were recruiting goers and anyone who wasn't was gettin' booted.

I'm actually talking about the boys who were left out like Kent & Jetta, Trenners is also in that boat but he was underdone. Viney and Jones were our best today because they GAF and made themselves get to a contest, put in 2nd efforts and tried to run & spread.

I'm gutted and never personally attack our players but I'm over it, there is a long list of players who I will give till round 4 and if they don't show effort I will start naming names. 3 more games like this and we are on our knees officially.

I have followed the club long enough to be used to losing but what I wont cop is lack of effort and intensity at least stand for something lads your a fookin disgrace and I hope your hurting like me and the rest of loyal Dees are

I am one of Mr McLardy's "fickle" supporters - stuck with them for more than 50 years, through the 70s and 80s, but fast losing interest now. My kids all lost interest - they wouldn't offend me by barracking for another club, just lost interest in football altogether.

Dean Bailey said we have to wait while players develop and learn the game plan. Mark Neeld says we have to wait while players develop and learn the game plan. I think a game plan that takes 3-4 years to learn is too complicated. Maybe we should go back to "get the ball, kick the ball" - was it Tommy Hafey who said that?

Mark Neeld said players were "meeting their targets" and that our progress was going "according to plan". Could the Club please give us a bit of a hint about what those targets were? Were they football-related? If our progress is according to plan, what is the plan?

The players need to be on performance-based contracts. If they want to leave, let them, they're not doing much good where they are, and we might get someone who wants to play. The coach needs to be on a performance-based contract. With the money saved on the contracts we could afford some replacements.

How many supporters have jumped ship for the Storm? I haven't jumped yet, but I'm finding rugby much more interesting these days.

Please MFC "...Do something!"

Definitely one of the most disheartening and demoralising games I've seen from the MFC.

Worse than 186 for me and I was at Kardinia Park that day. At least that day we were playing one of AFL history's greatest teams at their own fortress and were nearing the end of a wretched season.

I wasn't expecting miracles today and a loss wouldn't have been all that surprising, but to get absolutely thumped by an ordinary at best Port side at our home ground in Round 1 is about as bad as it gets.

For me the biggest concern was just how easily Port moved the ball down the ground, chipping short passes to players on their own and basically moving the ball from one end to the other without us touching it. They sliced us wide open, it was hot knife through butter stuff and it was bloody embarrassing. You could maybe understand Hawthorn cutting open a side with their foot skills but Port?

I've watched a fair bit of footy in Round 1 and what has stood out has been the pressure. In the first quarter of the Eagles Dockers game both sides were struggling to get a clear kick. Essendon mauled the Crows and worried them out of it. What do the MFC serve up? Not even a quarter, not even 5 minutes of intense pressure footy. Right from the opening bounce they got easy uncontested ball and it remained that way all day.

There can only be two reasons for this. Either the players are lazy and put no defensive pressure on, which would add the word 'heartless' to a long list of adjectives that already describe them such as skilless and brainless. Or alternatively they are confused where to position themselves defensively, which comes down to game plan and is the coach's domain.

I'm not sure what the answer is but it is one of the above. Either way it's bloody worrying.

The other thing I just cannot fathom is the schoolboy errors. Nicholson fumbling uncontested ball and dropping marks, Sellar dropping chest marks and not punching deep in defence, Gillies missing the target so badly that he actually kicked a point for Port, Dunn failing to kill the contest in the first quarter and overrunning it...the list goes on. I helped coach an under 14s team a number of years ago and I didn't see errors like that. I just cannot understand it, these guys are AFL footballers!

All I want to see is a team that can constantly pressure the opposition. I can cop kicking 8 goals if we get our defensive aspects right and only concede 11. I thought defence is what we are supposed to be focusing on.

We have too many skilless and brainless players masquerading as senior footballers. We have a terrible midfield, currently the worst in the league. Worst of all we can't even do the most basic thing in footy, put pressure on and make it difficult for your opponent. We don't defend. We don't even know how to. If Port slice us open what are Hawthorn, Collingwood, West Coast and co. going to do?

We are in a huge hole and only time and astute drafting can get us out of this mess.

This is about as low as I've ever felt as a Melbourne supporter. 79 point loss to Port at home. 24 less scoring shots. Hang your heads in shame MFC.

• Like 5

Port had 86 uncontested marks. We had 62.

That is the most telling stat. We were constantly behind the man and allowed them to find space all day, because we have NO understanding of how to move without the ball to create opportunities.

Port had 86 uncontested marks. We had 62.

That is the most telling stat. We were constantly behind the man and allowed them to find space all day, because we have NO understanding of how to move without the ball to create opportunities.

I actually thought the most telling stat was 38 scoring shots to 14. Against Port [censored] Adelaide!!

• Like 1

First post on DL but I feel it has to be said.

Today's loss hurt in many ways. We lost a lot of our hopeful fanbase. The general actions of supporters that occured after half time were either two things.

1. Laughing about how terrible we were playing

2. 'Let's go home, I might be able to catch the start of NM v Collingwood'

This team is an outright disgrace.

Dunn was terrible, way to stand up in your 100th

Watts is finally starting to aggravate me, sick of defending him

Jones's game is far too predictable, will cop a heavy tag every week

Nicholson, MARK THE BALL

Mitch Clark, 70 points down and trying to kill himself = dumb

Sellar, the preseason warrior was a major flop

Sylvia, same old inconsistency

Blease, kick-started our attack in games in 2012 is the sub?? poor decision

I've had enough of the defending every week of James Frawley, the guy is an absolute spud, never plays infront

Above all of the individual defects, we looked like we didn't care, thats the team and the supporters. How we are still in this league is shocking to me. We are in serious danger of folding

Just so I don't make a first impression of pessimist :), I was very impressed with Jack Viney, Matt Jones, Clark's recovery (despite his stupidity at times), Shannon Byrnes, Jack Grimes and Jeremy Howe (finally kicking straight). Toumpas will take time and credit to Port Adelaide for not holding back on this reality check

Agree with most of this but Mitch Clark's attack on the ball is fantastic and we need it from others, you would think it would inspire his teammates but sadly don't think many of them have it in them.

As others said I think Blease was sub due to coming back from injury, would think he will start next week.

I am one of Mr McLardy's "fickle" supporters - stuck with them for more than 50 years, through the 70s and 80s, but fast losing interest now. My kids all lost interest - they wouldn't offend me by barracking for another club, just lost interest in football altogether.

Dean Bailey said we have to wait while players develop and learn the game plan. Mark Neeld says we have to wait while players develop and learn the game plan. I think a game plan that takes 3-4 years to learn is too complicated. Maybe we should go back to "get the ball, kick the ball" - was it Tommy Hafey who said that?

Mark Neeld said players were "meeting their targets" and that our progress was going "according to plan". Could the Club please give us a bit of a hint about what those targets were? Were they football-related? If our progress is according to plan, what is the plan?

The players need to be on performance-based contracts. If they want to leave, let them, they're not doing much good where they are, and we might get someone who wants to play. The coach needs to be on a performance-based contract. With the money saved on the contracts we could afford some replacements.

How many supporters have jumped ship for the Storm? I haven't jumped yet, but I'm finding rugby much more interesting these days.

Please MFC "...Do something!"

Actually, Tom Hafey lives around the corner from me, and one day I asked him; "How did you take the wooden spooners, Collingwood in 1976, to grandfinalists in 1977 without changing the list"?

He said,

Football is a simple game, you must be hungrier than your opponent to get the ball, once you have got the ball, if your under pressure, handball it to a free team-mate and kick it to a leading option. If he dosnt mark it, win the loose ball and kick it to the next leading option. Then if he dosnt mark it, pick up the crumbs and kick the goal.

If the opposition have the ball, get on your opponent and wear him like a glove.

I spose, the rest is motivating the players to be hungrier than their opponent.

Hafey was good at this, so was Northey who had the us against them mentality.

Sorry for all you believers, Neeld must go.

Edited by tonatopia
  • Like 4

Actually, Tom Hafey lives around the corner from me, and one day I asked him; "How did you take the wooden spooners, Collingwood in 1976, to grandfinalists in 1977 without changing the list"?

He said,

Football is a simple game, you must be hungrier than your opponent to get the ball, once you have got the ball, if your under pressure, handball it to a free team-mate and kick it to a leading option. If he dosnt mark it, win the loose ball and kick it to the next leading option. Then if he dosnt mark it, pick up the crumbs and kick the goal.

If the opposition have the ball, get on your opponent and wear him like a glove.

There might be a spot open for old Tom.

• Like 1

Uncontested possies 232 to 174.

The stats in the first quarter were far worse than this. For a long time they were five to one in their favour.

To the President (and I am one of your fickle supporters whose letter you didn't respond to) Today the staff of the MFC disgraced their club and jumper, DO SOMETHING, DON"T THINK DO! It was embarassing and a disastrous way to start the season as you have effectively killed off all hope.

Im shocked i honestly didn't see this coming.I thought last year was bad but getting thumped by an average to poor team like Port Adelaide by 80 points is just not acceptable.Today was an insult to all Melbourne supporters,it was an insult to Jim Stynes memory and it was an insult to all the great men that represented this club with pride and distinction in the past.I am angry at the players for showing no heart,showing no bottle and just letting those Port Adelaide boys walk all over us.I am also angry at Mark Neeld.I expected to see signs today that this club was moving in the right direction.Instead it looks like we could actually be going backwards and isn't that saying something?So the coach has to take his share of the blame for todays debacle.I do have to question Mark Neelds vision after today.I understand that our playing squad is not up to standard but we still shouldn't be losing to Port Adelaide by 80 fcuking points.So you have to wonder is Mark Neeld capable of getting this squad to perform to it's full potential?This could have been worse than the 186 if we were playing a better team than the Power.We are even further away from the elite than i thought.I still think that the jury is out on Neeld until the end of 2014 season but we need to start showing some improvement sooner rather than later.However the signs aren't encouraging it look like it's a case of a new season but the same old sh!t from the MFC.It's hard to be optimistic after what we all just saw today.There is something seriously wrong with this playing group and im beginning to wonder is Neeld even capable of stopping this rot?

Edited by Irish Demon

I still think that we could stop the rot and improve overnight if Brian Royal was sacked as midfield coach. If you watch the games, our midfield is clueless. I would get Cameron Ling in or bring back James MacDonald and you would see differences straight away.

Edited by Thehardtackler
  • Like 1

Clearly you missed Pedersen shirking in the centre square.He'll ever amount to anything besides another MFC spud

Yep, must've missed it. He did have very little of it all day, but when he had it I thought he looked good, but I can understand where you and others are all coming from.