Frawley Frawley Frawley!

Soidee

Who would want to be a backman in this team?

We get smashed out of the middle consistently and the ball heads into our forward line at a million miles an hour. It would do anyones head in and make them indecisive. Similarly you need mids who run and spread so the backs have someone to kick to and can play an attacking game.

Jamar got 35 hit outs against NO opposition (McEvoy and Hickey not playing) and we still lost the clearances, who the hell was he hitting it too? Look at the tackle count , how much pressure did we apply? None.

Don't blame Chip, look at the midfield personnel and game plan. Fix that and things will improve. And to anyone who says it was only a practise game read Barassi and his quote on practise to be perfect, you train how you play and the practise form does not inspire hope for a season any better than the last.

• Like 4

I hate posts like this. You can't be bothered - or just can't - pinpoint the real issue, so you just assassinate his character instead, when you have no idea if he has a big head or not. Classic keyboard hero behaviour.

What i was actually talking about , was the size of his head, its quite large and must weigh him down.

But seriously , your right, i hate personal attacks, just wasnt thinking straight.

I do think he has gone backwards fir some reason though.

From all Australian to being indecisive.

Not saying he is terrible, just not as good as he was a couple of years ago, when he tookthe game on.

Edited by DeeZee

I'm a big Frawley fan, but I will say this there is no doubt he hasn't been the same since that pectoral tear he did pre-season of 2011 (i think). I still think he's one of the top defenders in the comp, the fact that he towels up Jack Riewoldt every time is a good indication of his one on one abilities, but I will agree that he has become a bit indecisive in recent time. Sadly of our defenders he is still one of the better uses, that's probably more of a fail on the others than an achievement. Look at who's down there with him, Jmac, Tmac, Nicho, Sellar, Gillies and Watts. Of that group I'd rate Watts as the only one with better disposal.

This from Adam Cooper's report on the game in today's Sunday Age:-

The St Kilda skipper kicked one goal but was just shaded by opponent James Frawley.

... and this ...

BEST St Kilda: Hayes, Maister, Newnes, Montagna, Roberton. Melbourne: Jamar, Jones, Frawley, Dunn, Rodan

Saints' burst makes Demons pay

• Like 3

There is nothing worse than someone who starts a thread in order to be derogatory about a player, but gives absolutely nothing in their critique. It's almost like you hope others will provide the analysis that you can't.

Hmmm.... kinda like you do in EVERY thread when you bring up Watts....

Hmmm.... kinda like you do in EVERY thread when you bring up Watts....

The difference is I provide the critique. I give the reasons why he's a dud.

But I get that you won't know the difference Stu. You're the sharpest tool in the shed.

The difference is I provide the critique. I give the reasons why he's a dud.

But I get that you won't know the difference Stu. You're the sharpest tool in the shed.

Haha No you don't. You say "what a dud, doesn't go hard..." yet you clearly ignore all the things he's good at. If you want to pick one aspect out and call someone a dud because of it then 99% of the AFL are duds.

Geez it must get lonely with no one to talk to seeing there's no room for anyone elses head to fit up your backside...

I like threads like this, because it tells me which posters' opinions I should ignore out of hand in the future.

Hmmmmm! There are 6 billion people on this planet and actually every one of them has a basic right to an opinion.

Pity some on this site don't get that!

For anyone who missed it, Garry Lyon singled out Frawley as the player to watch from the Dees this year. Said he was carrying three serious injuries last year but played on because of the horrible year we were having, but expects him to be back to his AA best now that he's fit and good-to-go.

I'm hoping that with the further development of McDonald and Dunn as KPDs it'll take some of the pressure off him as well.

Link here.

• Like 6

Frawleys problem is that when he does get the ball he has nothing to kick to because the positioning of our midfielders/half backs havent been able to spread to the correct areas. Simple

• Like 2

Frawleys problem is that when he does get the ball he has nothing to kick to because the positioning of our midfielders/half backs havent been able to spread to the correct areas. Simple

And then after trying to create play the ball comes back with interest before he had a chance to get back and cover his man properly (or get assistance from teammates covering his man).

Frawley would be one of the first picked every week don't worry about that.

• Like 1

will never be a Matty Scarlett, who was a genius in that he always made the right choice. Frawley is a very valuable player.

Particularly when he belted Ballantyne. Gold.

• Like 1

And then after trying to create play the ball comes back with interest before he had a chance to get back and cover his man properly (or get assistance from teammates covering his man).

Frawley would be one of the first picked every week don't worry about that.

Double like this.

James Frawley is an absolute gun, simple as that! how many times he was our only player who beat his direct opponent last year was crazy.

What comments would you be referring to?

Frawley's comments sound like a mix of modesty and the desire to temper raised expectations.

I presume he was referring to the comments of people who have been bagging Frawley or expressing disappointment that he wasn't AA last year. If that article is accurate, (and is there a reason to doubt it?) then presumably some posters would wish to modify their criticisms. Though some on here would say explaining poor performance because a Demon played with a broken leg would just be making more excuses.

• Like 2

James Frawley is an absolute gun, simple as that! how many times he was our only player who beat his direct opponent last year was crazy.

No, it's not that simple. I really rate Frawley, but he hasn't been an "absolute gun" the last couple of years.

He has that potential, no doubt, but let's keep it real.

Considering he was injured virtually all of last year.

he tried his guts out to clear the ball single handed, the other backs were playing up forward.

Then when he did run around in circles and got tackled it was only because our totally inept midfield gave him nuttin, along with his

newly formed back line with no experience. Sure he fumbled a few times but where was the assistance when he needed it?

Things started to click when Dunn with 100 games of experience went down to help.

One player does not a back line make.

The new members that will be rotating through this year will certainly allow Chip to do one job not three.

• Like 4