Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Intra Club Game - Friday 15 February 9:30am @ Casey Fields

Bring-Back-Powell

Obviously the herald sun couldnt be bothered to report it int todays paper. Could not find anything on the intra club game, plenty on carlton and richmond. At least the age had a snippet on byrnes 5 goals.

Cost of petrol outside their budget and, unlike a certain other media outlet, they don't purloin their information from unofficial reports on Demonland.

Thanks to everyone who posted their views on the inter club match. It's always great to read what others see and take away from training sessions etc. I have read through the entire thread, and would agree with just about everything written.

I went down under my own steam, and found myself on the reality bus for the return trip home. If someone had asked for my thoughts on leaving I would have said 'uninspiring' (perhaps a little too harsh a word). From being able to attend a handful of training sessions, and knowing our fitness was much improved, I was now looking forward to see how they performed under some game pressure.

For starters, as I got closer to the ground, the gentle breeze I left behind, had now turned into a strong wind, not ideal, add to it, it was hot, my expectations were lowered a little, add this together, it was going to be tough going out on the ground.

First of all, what did we have? We have a team on the wrong end of the ladder, with approx 36 players divided into 2 teams. Both teams of even levels of skill and experience. All still learning new structures and add new team mates. What we got was a intense battle that never really reached great heights. Throw in, players were at times switching sides and that was unsettling I am sure for a few players.

For a first full blown hitout, some things I noticed.

Hogan is going to be a gun. He presents himself with leading and demanding the ball. Looks like an older traditional full forward from what I observed. He leads well, contests well. His kicking will improve as will all other aspects of his game. If he stays fit and healthy, Casey have great kid playing for them this year. That passage of play on the half forward line, on the boundary line, he worked his way out of a tight spot, to nail a 35 metre pass to Davey, who was a metre from goals, hit him smack on the chest.

Blease as I stated in a training report pre Xmas, has stepped up a snotch or 2, with some consistent game time, I expect him to keep improving. He does need to find his own ball, but when he has it, IF Toumpas wants to 'light' up the wing on the MCG, Blease is going to light up the whole of the 'G". He was a bit in and out of the game, but so were many on the day.

Rodan is going to be more than handy, his experience and nouse will cause some headaches for other teams, as well as being able to guide and bring others into the game.

Gillies showed he can be more than handy, as did M Jones, Barry (but may need time to build up a bit more, and with experience with Casey should crack a few senior games), he showed some class in patches. As did Toumpas.

Garland murdered Davey, out sprinted him to the ball, won the ball, and run away, left Davey struggling to regain his breath. I am not sure about Flash. Perhaps the All Star trip to Darwin, caught up with him today. He is borderline if he can get past 2013. No doubting his skills, his tank is under a question mark, or perhaps the body is telling him its nearly over. I hope not, I would love to see some of the old Flash back.

Jamar and Spencer broke about even around the ground. Both were hardly sighted, Jamar took 1 great contested grab and apart from the hitouts. in his favour, didn't get into the game much. I hope Gawn doesnt suffer any more set backs, because our ruck stocks are a bit low (I am keeping on eye on J.Hannath, and will be taking an outside interest on his development. We sniped Clark and perhaps Hogan (ex W.A) so I guess Freo got one back on us.)

Standouts (not in order) Viney, Byrnes, Blease, the Jones boys. and throw number of others into a hat.

To sum up, two teams, under trying conditions, all trying to impress, made for a tight contest. Some really good signs, loved the white team on the outer wing, in one passage of play, they strung together a chain of handballs to running players that opened up the game. It was excellent ball movement by hand.

As noted in previous posts, I only seen one hospital handball to a stationary player.

Overall, I wasn't entirely convinced on our propects for the year. but its way too early to judge on one hitout. Some NAB Cup games, I hope we get further into that comp this year, as every game we play we will improve our game plan/structures, and the more they play together the better they will be. Some good things I came away with, but the 'lid is still on atm.

• Like 9

The bulldogs gave me both hope and fear last night. A bit of me thought well at least if we get Clark and Dawes out there together we will have tall targets and our kicking can't be worse than the doggies.

Then I realised nothing can shock me with how bad Melbourne can be and they at least have Boyd, Griffen and Cooney for some spark in the midfield.

Still I'm looking forward to watching us next week to see if we can be at all sharp with our ball winning and movement whilst also pressuring the opponents. That's what you want to see from NAB cup.

I thought the same aswell re the bulldogs. I thought there skills were shocking and at one stage there full forward was liam picken playing on dustin fletcher :S Im actually surprise they didn't chase jesse Hogan hard as they were more heavily into jack martin.

Thanks to everyone who posted their views on the inter club match. It's always great to read what others see and take away from training sessions etc. I have read through the entire thread, and would agree with just about everything written.I went down under my own steam, and found myself on the reality bus for the return trip home. If someone had asked for my thoughts on leaving I would have said 'uninspiring' (perhaps a little too harsh a word). From being able to attend a handful of training sessions, and knowing our fitness was much improved, I was now looking forward to see how they performed under some game pressure.For starters, as I got closer to the ground, the gentle breeze I left behind, had now turned into a strong wind, not ideal, add to it, it was hot, my expectations were lowered a little, add this together, it was going to be tough going out on the ground.First of all, what did we have? We have a team on the wrong end of the ladder, with approx 36 players divided into 2 teams. Both teams of even levels of skill and experience. All still learning new structures and add new team mates. What we got was a intense battle that never really reached great heights. Throw in, players were at times switching sides and that was unsettling I am sure for a few players.For a first full blown hitout, some things I noticed.Hogan is going to be a gun. He presents himself with leading and demanding the ball. Looks like an older traditional full forward from what I observed. He leads well, contests well. His kicking will improve as will all other aspects of his game. If he stays fit and healthy, Casey have great kid playing for them this year. That passage of play on the half forward line, on the boundary line, he worked his way out of a tight spot, to nail a 35 metre pass to Davey, who was a metre from goals, hit him smack on the chest.Blease as I stated in a training report pre Xmas, has stepped up a snotch or 2, with some consistent game time, I expect him to keep improving. He does need to find his own ball, but when he has it, IF Toumpas wants to 'light' up the wing on the MCG, Blease is going to light up the whole of the 'G". He was a bit in and out of the game, but so were many on the day.Rodan is going to be more than handy, his experience and nouse will cause some headaches for other teams, as well as being able to guide and bring others into the game.Gillies showed he can be more than handy, as did M Jones, Barry (but may need time to build up a bit more, and with experience with Casey should crack a few senior games), he showed some class in patches. As did Toumpas.Garland murdered Davey, out sprinted him to the ball, won the ball, and run away, left Davey struggling to regain his breath. I am not sure about Flash. Perhaps the All Star trip to Darwin, caught up with him today. He is borderline if he can get past 2013. No doubting his skills, his tank is under a question mark, or perhaps the body is telling him its nearly over. I hope not, I would love to see some of the old Flash back.Jamar and Spencer broke about even around the ground. Both were hardly sighted, Jamar took 1 great contested grab and apart from the hitouts. in his favour, didn't get into the game much. I hope Gawn doesnt suffer any more set backs, because our ruck stocks are a bit low (I am keeping on eye on J.Hannath, and will be taking an outside interest on his development. We sniped Clark and perhaps Hogan (ex W.A) so I guess Freo got one back on us.)Standouts (not in order) Viney, Byrnes, Blease, the Jones boys. and throw number of others into a hat.To sum up, two teams, under trying conditions, all trying to impress, made for a tight contest. Some really good signs, loved the white team on the outer wing, in one passage of play, they strung together a chain of handballs to running players that opened up the game. It was excellent ball movement by hand.As noted in previous posts, I only seen one hospital handball to a stationary player.Overall, I wasn't entirely convinced on our propects for the year. but its way too early to judge on one hitout. Some NAB Cup games, I hope we get further into that comp this year, as every game we play we will improve our game plan/structures, and the more they play together the better they will be. Some good things I came away with, but the 'lid is still on atm.

Thanks for the wrap. At the end of the day I don't think we can take a whole lot away from this aside from the joy of seeing the lads in near match conditions.

Dont know if anyone cares and dont mean to derail the thread though I thought it was worth a mention.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-15/tigers-keep-petterd-back?utm_medium=RSS

Petterd shines in Richmonds intra-club game off half-back.

Still wish we persisted with the kid.

Had plenty of chances to really stamp himself with us and just didnt do it. Good luck to him at the Tiges

• Like 1

Petterd had punctured lung, OP, Achilles, shoulder and probably more injuries. I hope he does well as he needed some luck. I don't blame the club for letting him go though. Although sometimes I wouldn't mind the club rookie listing guys like Petterd instead of just delisting him. Not for now but if we ever do become a flag thread I could see Petterd being like a Mitch Morton and bobbing up randomly in a grand final.

Thread hijack over I await the Byrnes show version 2.0

Petterd had punctured lung, OP, Achilles, shoulder and probably more injuries. I hope he does well as he needed some luck. I don't blame the club for letting him go though. Although sometimes I wouldn't mind the club rookie listing guys like Petterd instead of just delisting him. Not for now but if we ever do become a flag thread I could see Petterd being like a Mitch Morton and bobbing up randomly in a grand final.

Thread hijack over I await the Byrnes show version 2.0

Garland, Dunn, and Watts all do what Petterd can do of a HBF and the latter two can kick properly.

I was there for the first half, and all I can say it is going to be another long year. The fact that our discards Roden and Byrnes were best on ground up until then does not bode well. Admittedly, it is February and it was very windy, but I thought it was very lackluster overall.

The encouraging signs for me were:

- hogan will be a gun. I was watching him off the ball and he seems to have the running ability of a Carey. Very impressive for one so young and I thought beat Frawley while he was on him. Exciting, and a good reason to watch Casey this year. Pity he can't play round one, he would be a ready made replacement for Clark who apparently will miss the first five or six games.

- both Viney and Tompass lived up to their hype. I thought they both showed class, and Viney in particular looks like a "hard nut"

- jack Watts has filled out and I hope we play him on the ball this year, perhaps in the centre. He is very classy, and given his size and speed could be a real handful. By the way, I think a lot of the commentary about making Watts into a permanent back misses the point. We should all remember that David Neitz spent most of his early career down back, and even Carey said he was his most difficult opponent. Watts I think will be the same, except he eventually will be our fourth tall forward behind Clark, Dawes, and Hogan. A nightmare for any team I would suggest.

- Tom McDonald was also very good. He is a real find and gives real grunt to our "spine".

The real concerns are similar to last year. The middle ranking players are not yet stepping up. Sylvia, Jamar, Bleese, Grimes, mckenzie Nicholson were in and out of the game at best. For us to move up the ladder this year we have to get a substantial improvement out of this lot. I think this is one of the coaching team's biggest challenges.

A"smokey"??

I think Jack Fitzpatrick possibly could see some AFL action this year. He is big, a strong mark and for his size very quick.i would not be surprised if he saw some success this year.

I was there for the first half, and all I can say it is going to be another long year. The fact that our discards Roden and Byrnes were best on ground up until then does not bode well. Admittedly, it is February and it was very windy, but I thought it was very lackluster overall.

The encouraging signs for me were:

- hogan will be a gun. I was watching him off the ball and he seems to have the running ability of a Carey. Very impressive for one so young and I thought beat Frawley while he was on him. Exciting, and a good reason to watch Casey this year. Pity he can't play round one, he would be a ready made replacement for Clark who apparently will miss the first five or six games.

- both Viney and Tompass lived up to their hype. I thought they both showed class, and Viney in particular looks like a "hard nut"

- jack Watts has filled out and I hope we play him on the ball this year, perhaps in the centre. He is very classy, and given his size and speed could be a real handful. By the way, I think a lot of the commentary about making Watts into a permanent back misses the point. We should all remember that David Neitz spent most of his early career down back, and even Carey said he was his most difficult opponent. Watts I think will be the same, except he eventually will be our fourth tall forward behind Clark, Dawes, and Hogan. A nightmare for any team I would suggest.

- Tom McDonald was also very good. He is a real find and gives real grunt to our "spine".

The real concerns are similar to last year. The middle ranking players are not yet stepping up. Sylvia, Jamar, Bleese, Grimes, mckenzie Nicholson were in and out of the game at best. For us to move up the ladder this year we have to get a substantial improvement out of this lot. I think this is one of the coaching team's biggest challenges.

A"smokey"??

I think Jack Fitzpatrick possibly could see some AFL action this year. He is big, a strong mark and for his size very quick.i would not be surprised if he saw some success this year.

I can't agree with much of that.

Interestingly I heard Inside Football's Brett Anderson discuss the game on my journey back and he thought there had been considerable improvement when compared to last year. I concur.

Out of interest, have you been to any training sessions this preseason ?

Let it be said that I was not at the intra, and have not seen any preseason this year. However it has always been said that intra's are always scrappy because both sides understand what the other sides strategy is intimately and are playing with the same plan. You are also playing with an entire squad that means you are creating more a VFL quality contest. Watch any of the NAB cup games so far and all sides have had more touched balls, shanks and errors than you would likely see all year. Why because they are not polished yet, do not have game fitness and are like playing 30% of players who would not make their best 22.

Without being able to see with my own eyes I will take the words of those who can compare previous pre-seasons in context than those that are just equating a scrappy affair with a lack of improvement.

• Like 1

The thing about intraclubs is if it is a free flowing skillful affair then you have to be concerned about the players defensive pressure. If it is scrappy then you worry about the skill level.

What we should see is patches of both and an improved intensity.

The training I've watched this year hasn't impressed me in terms of skill level but has impressed me with a better intensity. Especially the likes of Dawes, Dunn, Viney, Rodan, Byrnes and a few others are training at a high intensity which should improve the team.

One thing we can't tell until the season proper is who has actually improved individually and whether all the improved individuals can combine to form a better team.

• Like 2

Taken me a few days to share my observations of the practice match, as I've been trying to catch up on having taken the time to go to Casey Fields. Let me start by saying I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement in the complex since my last visit a year or so back. Roads andparking finished. A suburb of houses surrounding the 'fields', magnificent athletic track and reasonable ground. Whether the best decision to go their or not only time will tell but I congratulate the admin for this inititive.

Re the game: I thought it was the best disciplined team orientated practice match I can remember seeing of the demons. Of course the pressure was not the same as a real match, but you have to be able to do it in practice if you hope to do it elsewhere.

Despite still being a cynic of the collection of cast off players we have gone for, Byrne was a real winner, and benficiary of the team movement of ball into the forward line. He knew how to position himself / lead etc really well. I still wonder what the long term value is in a Geelong reject, but He will add value in the short term through the first half of the year.

Rodin as theother two time reject showed the Rodin qualities and we will similarly enjoy his contribution for a while. To expect a consistently good year from him is over hopeful.

No doubt Jack Viney is a beauty and will be even better than his father who took a long time to be really significant. Give Jack one or two years and he'll be having a great influence. Toumpas is not far behind. Moves well and as someone said silky skills, good brain and I am excited. I think he is a bit behind Jack at this stage but wonder if in fact he will turn out even better. All other mid fielders did their usual stuff but none stood out to me, Jones, Grimes, Sylvia were at runnjing at 80 percent, and I don't blame them and I'm not worried. Glad evans was out playing which was a win in itself. I puzzle over Jordie McKenzies staus in the club pecking order. Did his things which included a few miss kicks etc, but still committs the cardinal footballers sin, he constantly falls to his feet - a close checking scragger that in time will be surpassed by a team we build for further up the ladder. Jones is well worth keeping an eye on. I reckon he'll play at least half the season and may do even better. This is based not so much on the amount of the ball he got, but looks as though he has the attributes and with some casey games will surely be given a chance. He's ahead of couch in my opinion, although there was a player (no 47) who was doing some good stuff and only after the game I learnt it was couch. Better than I had seen of him before.

Jamar ran at 75% pace and despite others opinions I thought Jake Spencer did reasonably well against him. Although I've never been a fan of his despite his clumsiness he does surprise me. I would have kept Martin as the backup. And that is his role. He is our backup knock ruck man at the moment. He has a good leep and will be as competative as any in the big mans wrestle.

I think Cam Pederson and Jack Fitz are fighting oneanother for the second ruck and utility forward. Cam looked okay without shining and I think will be given first shot. But I expect it again the be just a matter of time before Jack Fitz passes him.

Of the back line Chip looked good and along with Jack Watts are the play maker (quarterbacks - forgive me) Jack has finally made it physically. He looks like a supreme athlete. Not bulky but strapping athletic muscles. Yes one stranger standing next to me at one point stated he thought Jack was our best player (not on the day but in general) I would not have disagreed. If he hasn't got 'Sylvia-itis' this should be an excellent year and who knows in '14 and '15.

Dunne payed a good solid game and I am surprised I think barring reports and injuries will play the year on the backline. But the better news from my point of view was the Kent played on him for much of the game and I thought remained competative, not bad for a new kid on the block. Tom Mc was again doing well and I think with a season behind him will be better for it becasue I have always believed his a a good mark. something that was limited last year as he established himself. I liked the look of Tom Gillies ( despite my Geelong fans staement we could have him) although he didn't do lots. I'll enjoy watching him closely to see if their is something worthwhile. I believe Straus-ie will play first game and maybe the rest of the season. I thought he was more competative. His running and kicking have never been questioned, but along with Nicho they should be our small running backs (nothing to do with the american football chess). Not many back line positions left, Col Garland , Joel MacD, Sellar will have to fight oneanother for the other positions. I assume Col Garland will be first choice but I'm concerned he has reached his peak. Injuries will give them all a chance.

Blease will do better on the big stage. Tappy was okay and has a challenge to keep improving. Jetta will have to fight hard. I liked the look of Dom Barry moving around and will need time. Tynan di a number of good things and may surprise a lot of us. I think he might even be on the bench in the early part of the year. A fit Clarke, Dawes 2nd ruck, Byrne and the Tassie flyer should be the core of the forward line. So these boys will all be competing hard.

But I've kept the best till last. I'M IN LOVE, YES HOGES THE HULK, just 17, and showing he could play at least competatively against some big well developed players was great. He moves well, knows how to play the game, can mark and kick. Who needs JB LF Pav, etc....we've got the Hulk. Yes I'm mature enough to keep the lid on it, but it is hard,,,,, by the way how's thank guy.....what's his name..doing at GWS..WHO cares...We've got the HULK

Edited by Harrisonrules
  • Like 5

I can see Byrnes easily being one of our biggest ball winners this year.

He promised at least 39 goals at the AGM. I hope that that doesn't include Friday's 5!

Good to read a well written football story that's actually about, well ... um, football.

Neeld takes pressure off young Dees

There's one thing I can't work out and that's the reason why Jimmy T's price in AFL Fantasy is so much higher than Jack V's. Is it because Jimmy made All Australian at the Undrr 18 champs and Jack didn't?

Good to read a well written football story that's actually about, well ... um, football.Neeld takes pressure off young Dees

There's one thing I can't work out and that's the reason why Jimmy T's price in AFL Fantasy is so much higher than Jack V's. Is it because Jimmy made All Australian at the Undrr 18 champs and Jack didn't?

Probably draft position. Toumpas was 22 places higher than Viney

• Like 3

I like what Rodan brings off the field. At one stage he and Dom Barry were on the side lines. Whatever Rodan was saying he was most emphatic pointing up the ground etc. For that reason alone he is a great get. He will assist the younger boys in their development and is what we needed years ago. To me he looks comfortable in that role.

• Like 2