Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 18th January, 2013 @ Casey Fields

Whispering_Jack

I can see fan's point, Port is probably the only club who rivals us for a very poor midfield. Boak is their standout, Gray is perennially injured and they relied of someone like Ebert to come across as a depth player from West Coast and a prime mover. I'd say Rodan became established but then he had more knee injuries, so when he came back he wasn't entrenched. He then followed that with some standout games (generally against lesser opposition like us) and other games when he'd barely touch it and his man would get 38 touches. He has to show he can be a team player defensive and still play with flair. I'm happy for him to be the designated attacking player at a stoppage but around the ground he has to be a team work horse. I wonder how his fitness is. He never appeared fully fit at Port and I wonder how he's going here. Anyone know how he went at our most recent time trial?

I don't want to put a dampener on things about Rodan but this is a bloke who has failed to establish himself at two clubs and whilst he may be in our first picked midfield he wouldn't be in many in the AFL.

Davey is in the last year of his contract and when that last occurred he won the best and fairest. If he's capable he'll have a good year.

That's your opinion. Let me ask you this, Would he play ahead of Moloney, Morton, Bate or Gys ?

I agree that Rodan will have limited tenure, but he's certainly very good around the stoppages, so he'll have some value while our young mids develop.

But I agree with others that after 176 AFL games Rodan well and truly established himself as a footballer, especially at Port.

• Like 1

I don't think we recruited Rodan to fulfil the role of a champion. Hopefully our early draft picks of the last few years will come to the fore and provide that. Rodan's there for a purpose however, and I believe that is to add some maturity to a list that is very much lacking in experience and games played. From what I'm told, he's already making a contribution at training and it's the little one per centers that someone like him can add to the group on and off the ground that helps you develop a strong and cohesive group with a decent culture.

• Like 10

David Rodan > Cale Morton

He did a knee and unbelievably Richmond dumped him. I couldnl't believe it at the time. He went on to be a great player at Port and be a significant contributor to their premiership.

By the end of 2012 they have a new coach and are doing what Bailey did in his first year which was to say anyone who isn't here in 5 yrs has to go. No reflection on how he is playing footy at the moment. He came back from injury during the season and tore a few games apart as a super sub.

He will be great value. I have no doubt about it. Bit surprised he didn't make the leadership group.

• Like 3

I went along to training today, again.

I have been to 3 sessions over the past week or so, so I think I have gained a fair bit over the sessions.

Firstly, the way they are training is very impressive. That is, the structure and style being set out by the coaching group is impressive. I particularly like the way the sessions are completed in 3 main groups. The mids/forwards and defenders basically do all drills and acticities together at all times. it is a great way to get accustomed to each other and form more knowledge on how to work together.

Secondly, the effort being put in by all players is super. The drills they are doing require heaps of running while using the balls. It is always moer enjoyable chasing a ball rather than just running.

To start with my only real negative, the skills still need work. There are some players with fine skill, however, in general, we still miss targets too often.

On the positives, individually:

Hogan - A big young man and I look forward to his development at Casey. The work he is putting in this year will be great for the future.

Dawes - Moves very well and I am very happy he is with us. He and Clark in tandem will be a tough matchup for oher teams.

Davey - He is moving freely, it is the first time in years he is walking without a limp. With his skills I am looking for a big year.

Rodan and Byrnes - Both have good voices and instruct people well. I think they have plenty to offer, particularly since they havve good skills and pace.

Tynan - Extremely impressed by his size and athleticism. Looking for a big year from him.

Viney - In the match simulation drills he is always on the bottom of packs and has great recovery.

Gillies- Looks to be a solid defender and moves well. Is being earmarked for a spot in round 1.

Watts - His legs look stong and his judgement in the drills is sublime. If he can be the 3rd or 4th tall I think his future is looking very good. His skills are just that good, he needs to run off the back line.

Jetta - Really impressed by his effort and he seems to be quicker than I thought. HIs toughness will help the backline out.

Spencer - I actually think he will be the number 1 ruckman very soon. He is huge and he has a dip (as does Jamar) but his athleticism is better. His kicking has improved, but he should be a handball first player.

Jones/Grimes - both have great voices and they train well every time. Grimes is training with the mids so I would think more time in there for him this year.

Blease - as others have said, his speed is the thing. In some of the drills today he ran and carried the ball for 3 or 4 bounces. He is getting better at giving the ball off, but he still needs to be sure he gives off the first option more often.

Terlich - I really like the look of him, his skills are pretty good and he is really fast. Have the feeling he may be a regular this year.

Kent - As seen in the highlights reel of his, he has a great kick on him. He is also really solid (as are all the players now) Needs to improve his decision making though.

Fitzpatrick - Still looks unco, but he is so quick and athletic for his size. I am just not sure what position he would play.

There are others to talk about, but if you have any specific questions I can answer them, as I have seen heaps of training so far (the life of a teacher!)

Overall though, I am happy with what I have seen so far, the fitness and effort has improved from previous years and as a whole we seem to be able to train at a higher intensity for longer times. I am not expecting miracles this year, but I think a vast improvement is on the cards.

• Like 15

went to training at casey this morning noticed Pederson spent a lot of time up forward in the match simulation couple of things I noticed mind you it's only the second time I have been to training(nice place Casey saw two Eskimos and a polar bear ) Dawes was very vocal in giving orders to players around him telling them where they should be ie moving up the ground etc . Viney and rodan spent the entire match simulation in the centre and at ball ups around the ground. Both made efforts to get to every contest Viney is going to make a lot of opposition players need ice baths after they come up against him in games. His take no prisoner attitude to me hopefully will rub off on a few players around him. I think Rodan must rub oil all over him because he was able to slip out a lot of tackles. Saw Trengove,Clark,Sylvia on sidelines all moved freely Sylvia doing 100 sprints seemed un fazed.To me it looks like Clark is busting to join the main group he paces around like a bear with a sore tooth. Finally saw young Hogan for the first time today he is more solid than a lot of 2nd and 3rd year players he is about 6 to 12 inches taller then a lot of our new players

• Like 4

I agree that Rodan will have limited tenure, but he's certainly very good around the stoppages, so he'll have some value while our young mids develop.

But I agree with others that after 176 AFL games Rodan well and truly established himself as a footballer, especially at Port.

What I meant by "established" was that he wasn't in PA's team last year as an automatic selection. He played 10 games for an average of about 14 possessions a game. PA didn't want him and I'm not upset that we've got him but I don't find any comfort in the fact that he seems to be reported as a standout mid at training. Personally I'd like to hear that others were well in front of him.

Some posts talking about how excited people are to see him just seem to me to be inviting disappointment.

Neeld was not at training last week and apparently this week as well. Does anybody know why?

He is overseas...back monday

Neeld was not at training last week and apparently this week as well. Does anybody know why?

Maybe he got locked in the vault?

• Like 7

My first comments for quite a while, and my first attendance at training this pre-season.

Undoubtedly, the most outstanding aspect of this morning's training for me was to see an energetic, involved, and enthusiastic Aaron Davey. He was running, chasing, and tackling as we remember him from 3-4 seasons ago, and he was far and away the most effective ball user on the field, even kicking a wonderful 50m goal on the run from the boundary.

Another highlight was Fitzpatrick turning Junior McDonald inside out as he grabbed the ball at centre half forward , then backed his confidence to outsprint his more highly regarded opponent over 30 meters before kicking the goal.

I like how Watts has finally broadened his frame to man- size proportions , and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Viney assert himself at every contest.

Like others here, I was very disappointed with the kicking skills, though Casey Fields tends to bring the worst out of most players' disposal levels.

No complaints about the endeavor of all, though this should go without saying at this time of the year.

I'm looking forward to returning with my 3 word player analyses soon.

• Like 2

Guest Spirit of 39
What I meant by "established" was that he wasn't in PA's team last year as an automatic selection. He played 10 games for an average of about 14 possessions a game. PA didn't want him and I'm not upset that we've got him but I don't find any comfort in the fact that he seems to be reported as a standout mid at training. Personally I'd like to hear that others were well in front of him.

Some posts talking about how excited people are to see him just seem to me to be inviting disappointment.

Rodan had no preseason at all last year. We are talking about a player not renowned for his tank, so he was always going to be behind the eight-ball in 2012. Couple that with his age and a new coach coming in at Port, his spot on their list was always in jeopardy.

The knock on Rodan at PA was inability to run both ways. Can he turn that side of his game around as a 29 year old??? I hope so. Will he have a big impacts on games at times with his pace and elusiveness? Definitely!

My first comments for quite a while, and my first attendance at training this pre-season.

Undoubtedly, the most outstanding aspect of this morning's training for me was to see an energetic, involved, and enthusiastic Aaron Davey. He was running, chasing, and tackling as we remember him from 3-4 seasons ago, and he was far and away the most effective ball user on the field, even kicking a wonderful 50m goal on the run from the boundary.

Another highlight was Fitzpatrick turning Junior McDonald inside out as he grabbed the ball at centre half forward , then backed his confidence to outsprint his more highly regarded opponent over 30 meters before kicking the goal.

I like how Watts has finally broadened his frame to man- size proportions , and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Viney assert himself at every contest.

Like others here, I was very disappointed with the kicking skills, though Casey Fields tends to bring the worst out of most players' disposal levels.

No complaints about the endeavor of all, though this should go without saying at this time of the year.

I'm looking forward to returning with my 3 word player analyses soon.

Junior McDonald - yet another comeback?
  • Like 1

I attended training today and the highlights for me were:

I did not realise how quick and athletic Dawes was when the ball hits the ground. Reads the play very well and was the equal and better of oppnents in simulation.

Viney stood his ground when triple tackled and still got the handball out. Neil Graig said people will pay their money to see Jack play.

Toumpas although in the rehab group looks AFL size as does does Hogan.

The team looked very sharp - thanks to the coaching group. They were all involved in teaching and explaining what to do in various situations.

Watts seems stronger in the core.

Jetta looks stronger.

Dunn looks like Tarzan - he has put on heaps of upper body muscle.

• Like 1

Is that his actual average because I thought he started as sub a fair bit?

• Like 1

Is that his actual average because I thought he started as sub a fair bit?

14 possessions a game average wouldn't be bad if the majority were as the sub.