Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Neeld puts 2 H&A games in Darwin on the agenda

Diablo Deemon

I went up this year. Had a great time and got well and trulied while we were flogged. However, it cost a shiteload. I am going again next year ( against the lions) but I could not afford two visits. Darwin is expensive.

A bit like when I come over to Melbourne...

• Like 1

All I can say is.... Its the supporters who dont show up to games at the MCG who have forced the club to take action. 20,000 at a home game is not even enough to hire the ground.

Blame the supporters who dont show, not the club.

If it doesnt work out, at least we tried.

Edited by Hells Gates
  • Like 2

Just a little quick research:

I couldnt find Hawks but....

Pet memberships at these clubs:

Collingwood $42

Sydney $35

Essendon $30

Bulldogs $30

North $30

Fremantle $25

WCE $15

I'm unsure whether they would count but it is extra $$$$.

Mfc do pet memberships, I've ticked that box 2 years running

Well said. Also we may only do it for 5 years to get ahead. By that time we should be winning a few games and crowds will be back at the G. Not all doom n gloom. Small sacrifices for big rewards.

Mr Gates

Thanks again for your input. Doing this forum proud.

A suggestion, as you seem to have the ear of the right people why not suggest that they charter a plane to the Darwin games and charge members 1/2 price to go up.

When in Port Moresby I wanted to visit Raboul which was expensive the so I chartered a DC3 and put an ad in the paper.

I was swamped out with people wanting to go.

Nett result

My mate, myself and our girlfriends flew up there for a weekend for free, the rest of the passengers flew up for 1/2 price and I finished up with some thing like $300 in my pocket. And that was in 1972.

Surely the MFC could do some thing similar.

Mr GatesThanks again for your input. Doing this forum proud.A suggestion, as you seem to have the ear of the right people why not suggest that they charter a plane to the Darwin games and charge members 1/2 price to go up.When in Port Moresby I wanted to visit Raboul which was expensive the so I chartered a DC3 and put an ad in the paper.I was swamped out with people wanting to go.Nett resultMy mate, myself and our girlfriends flew up there for a weekend for free, the rest of the passengers flew up for 1/2 price and I finished up with some thing like $300 in my pocket. And that was in 1972.Surely the MFC could do some thing similar.

Thanks for the kind words. I will definetley put it to the club tomorrow, might be awhile before we hear anything though.

I'd be happy to play an away game up there, surely Port need the cash and they get no one to their games in SA so if we have to play a home game there we should get the other as an away.

It shouldn't be left to the poorer Melbourne based clubs to [censored] their home games every year. If we had a permanent away game there it could be shared between Port, Brisbane ( who aren't floating in cash) Gold Coast and GWS.

I sort of agree Robbie..

IF We, play One home game,, & back to Back, in the coldest part of the Year,,, one away game with 9 OR 10 Days in between,,, with a Bye after the sojourn, or another 9 day break before our next Melbourne Home game..

It would be advantageous re potential wins to us & Finals appearances. The breaks are crucial IMO, especially on the return home, after 2 games in the heat.

We could package this as our holiday period with a trip in-between to Thailand or Bali or other Asian destination,,, Or a Kakadu, Or Northern WA getaway.

The Finances would need to be right for the Dees,,, & the holiday packages would need to be budgeted fairly, with differing cost gradieNTs.

oh please NA I am very tired of this "Entitled Attitude"

The only think we are entitled to is be part of the competition.

We have to increase our revenue streams and Darwin is one.

If that means a game or two are not played at the MCG and the MFC gets more money and stronger then so be it.

I would rather see 9 home games at the G and win 18 a year then 11 at the G and perform the way we have for the past 6 years.

If we had a great Social Hub up & running, we could all go to the Dees Hell Hole, & have a bit of a party'. A light meal before, & Watch the game with drinks & nibbles during, & for a little bit after, especially our Wins, before we Train ourselves home...

http://soundbible.com/713-Laugh-Evil.html

Maybe but if more games are played interstate are you still going to consider your membership good value?

Sorry but when has membership ever been about value, we need as a club, to go through a period of growing the club's supporter base, games against port, GWS, GC at the G are not going to do that. when we are in our next period of sustained success we can start dictating terms and make it more about the G. it is not a good look 18-20k at the best stadium on earth.

I would love to try and see the club reach out across the land and become the 1st amongst equals I.e. ' the team that identifies 'Australian football' getting Darwin on board would be part of that, if we start playing well we have a tradition that we can use in marketing that is unparalleled , even by the filth. Richmond could do the same if they got their poo in one sock but that's not going to happen, The bombers are hampered by their name, seriously they should be sponsored by Al Quaeda with a name like that. Hawthorn will always have a jumper sponsored by werribee. Carlton I guess but they have been almost for a while now (the AFL got those penalties right).

So go Darwin, free tickets to the marines and soldiers based there, mining companies and freight forwarders (does anyone know how expensive property is up their now?). Townsville as well, getting ADF links will not hurt us and ties two great aspects of Australian identity together the club needs to grow beyond the 32k brilliant people who already love the club and the zealots on this forum (and I do get the desire for g games, we're just not doing them justice yet.)

• Like 2

All I can say is.... Its the supporters who dont show up to games at the MCG who have forced the club to take action. 20,000 at a home game is not even enough to hire the ground.

That would not surprise me at all if the club thought that way, tell the club to tell the players to win a bloody game, then people will show up, i enjoy your posts but your way out of line there.

Yes & NO.

A semi Club isn't a Club. A club within an exclusive organisation, is a major part of supporters shunning the organisation.

It's high time to return the club to its supporters & grow it. Access to all will see a growth spurt & loyalty.

No sympathetic loyalty to the supporter base will see no conversion to memberships & attendance when we're struggling.

That would not surprise me at all if the club thought that way, tell the club to tell the players to win a bloody game, then people will show up, i enjoy your posts but your way out of line there.

Tell the players to win?? Its that easy hey? Way out of line?? Explain yourself a bit better than that poor effort. You tell me how to fix the problem then.....?

Whether you like it or not its the truth. We dont have a high supporter base but we also have supporters with a poor attitude. I remember in 2010 when we were starting to play some good footy and crowds would be poor. We've always had the reputation of crowds not turning up. From memory and I may be wrong it costs the club about a home crowd of 35,000 to hire the MCG, when we only get 18-20,000 odd against lower sides its not very beneficial is it? Trouble is Melb v Bris, Port, Freo, GWS, GC arent pulling the crowds so club has acted, its not as if we're missing out on any blockbusters, which Dees supporters seem to turn up to.

I could go on for pages but you obviously don't get it so I will stop wasting my time. Are you one of "those" supporters that dont show up when were losing? Everyone hates losing, but build a bridge, we are heading in the right direction more than ever before, both on and off the field and if that means playing a couple of home games a year in Darwin for 5 years until we get better then great work by the club I'd say.

Edited by Hells Gates
  • Like 2

Maybe but if more games are played interstate are you still going to consider your membership good value?

Hey, as I said in another post in this thread, we have had the Dees play in Sydney just once (this year) in 5 or 6 years and they will play here just once next year, and we don't have the option to go along to training where you can get up close and personal with the players and officials... my kids would love that opportunity I'm sure.

And we don't get to exercise the option of free admission to home games unless we want to spend a small fortune in travel and accommodation in Melbourne... so please don't give me this "good value" line; you are very well off, comparatively.

• Like 4

Hey, as I said in another post in this thread, we have had the Dees play in Sydney just once (this year) in 5 or 6 years and they will play here just once next year, and we don't have the option to go along to training where you can get up close and personal with the players and officials... my kids would love that opportunity I'm sure.

And we don't get to exercise the option of free admission to home games unless we want to spend a small fortune in travel and accommodation in Melbourne... so please don't give me this "good value" line; you are very well off, comparatively.

Spot on Hardtack

But I hope you don't expect the "entitles " to stop whinging.

• Like 1

From memory and I may be wrong it costs the club about a home crowd of 35,000 to hire the MCG, when we only get 18-20,000 odd

Generally love your work HG but you realy should've determined that attendance value before posting. It's my understanding it's 22,000 to break even (if the top is closed). Can understand some frustration though. One home and one away wouldn't bother me for a set period.

• Like 1

Generally love your work HG but you realy should've determined that attendance value before posting. It's my understanding it's 22,000 to break even (if the top is closed). Can understand some frustration though. One home and one away wouldn't bother me for a set period.

Ok where did you get that info? Im pretty sure its 35k, I will ask Cam today, hopefully he'll tell me.

Welcome to the world of interstate supporters... we have had one game in Sydney in six years and again get just one game in 2013.

We got two for 2013 but for past few years have had just the one.. do feel for the Sydneysiders tho.. you have had a dud deal and then they finally go there and play one of their most crappy games, you must have been pretty cut.. hopefully it will be a much improved performance for you guys next year..

Ok where did you get that info? Im pretty sure its 35k, I will ask Cam today, hopefully he'll tell me.

Digging for it. Will update this post.

Edit: hrrm. I've only found a few demonland threads with assertions ranging from 16k-22k. Could've sworn there was a article or two on the matter that I haven't found yet.

Edited by Spork

Winning is the reward for your support.

Not the other way around.

That's my personal view.

• Like 2

Very good point. Never thought of it like that.

HG, I think you are point blank wrong about melbourne supporters. We are few in number and relatively loyal.

There is no getting away from the MFC having a low supporter base for most of its life. In addition, the MFC has been disgracefully poor on the field for most of the last 40 years. There have been brief periods of good performance, but they have been very brief.

The problems of supporter number are significant. Moving to casey is one example of a pro-active decision to try and boost supporter numbers. Darwin in another. It is a poor argument to suggest that we are to blame for the need to try such things - the team should try winning a game, or recruiting a star or not being a basketcase most of the time. I think you'll find it amazing to see how popularity increases. Really, your argument is the equivalent of Qantas blaming its shareholders for its shareprice.

• Like 2

Digging for it. Will update this post.

Edit: hrrm. I've only found a few demonland threads with assertions ranging from 16k-22k. Could've sworn there was a article or two on the matter that I haven't found yet.

The break even mark is around the 20,000 mark IIRC from statements a year or two ago. If it were 35,000 that would be a significant worry for the club.

• Like 1

I am happy to play two home games up there as long as we don't get forced to play a home game at Etihad Stadium!

I'd definitely go for a Darwin home game before an Etihad home game.

I think you'll also find that CS JM CN & MN have been up there wining and dining with the State Govt.

ministers and other hangers on.

It wouldn't surprise if they are organising a State Sponsorship similar to the "Tassie Hawks"

We could be known as "Darwin Demons" "Kakadu Cactii" "Top End Termites"

I am salivating already over all the new merchandise.

• Like 3