Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Illegal drug culture - Football

H_T

i am writing a book about my time on this planet. It is almost ready for editing. 7 years of extracting memories from my past. I am amazed what i did remember when i got in the "zone"

Almost 700 A4 pages so far..

That would be an editors nightmare... :P

Interesting though. What will your title be? "FiftyshadesofWYL?"

Massive issue, I wouldnt be suprised at all if it was a problem for all clubs weather they know it choose to ignore it or dont have a clue. I am 24 and have never touched one illegal drug but I am the only person around my age group I know who hasnt

Very true.... Fact is I would bet that 90% of people under 25 do drugs semi-regulary, or have at least tried it.

I can't do this at the moment (I will later tonight), but if another mod can in the meantime, please do so..... . All the talkback call posts re: the phone call prank stunt and so forth subsequent posts, will be moved to a new thread on the General Discussion board.

• Like 1

To get back on topic, the father of one of Freo's kids just told me that his son reckons that richmond's 'wild thing' should play as well this year as Ben Cousins did at wet toast - for much the same reasons. Perhaps Caro should write an article about icy conditions at tigerland - well known 'secret' among a number of players around the traps.

• Like 1

To get back on topic, the father of one of Freo's kids just told me that his son reckons that richmond's 'wild thing' should play as well this year as Ben Cousins did at wet toast - for much the same reasons. Perhaps Caro should write an article about icy conditions at tigerland - well known 'secret' among a number of players around the traps.

Note: About 88 posts or 3-4 pages have been moved to the 2DayFM Prank ends in tragedy thread created on the General Discussion forum. They were deemed off-topic from this the Illegal drug culture in football thread.

You can find thread here: http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32410-2day-fm-prank-ends-in-tragedy/page-4#entry676612

Edited by H_T
Added link

Legal and illegal drugs have a massive impact, our current system hasn't stopped or even impeded this problem. To me that says the current system isn't working so we should try another approach, it might also say there is no answer no matter what we do the problem will keep getting worse.

What do you think 'Demonsterative', you have experience in the field so I'm interested. Is there an answer or can we look at minimising harm at best or is it all too hard?

Today's artice in the H-S is perhaps the most reasoned I have read on this subject. Clearly it is possible to drive a truck through holes in the current regime. "The reason why players aren't afraid of it is there are no consequences" - says it all really

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/open-up-on-afl-drug-use-says-gavin-crosisca/story-e6frf9jf-1226535678776

• Like 1

Today's artice in the H-S is perhaps the most reasoned I have read on this subject. Clearly it is possible to drive a truck through holes in the current regime. "The reason why players aren't afraid of it is there are no consequences" - says it all really

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/open-up-on-afl-drug-use-says-gavin-crosisca/story-e6frf9jf-1226535678776

The AFL as a business certainly do not want 10-20% of it's players under suspension at any one time...so i can see why they are worried as to what actually happens.

This is a social problem. The AFL is not immune. The Players are well paid & are probably quite immune to the feeling of drugs in many ways because a pain killing drug to an AFL player is quite normal & expected.

The AFL as a business certainly do not want 10-20% of it's players under suspension at any one time...so i can see why they are worried as to what actually happens.

This is a social problem. The AFL is not immune. The Players are well paid & are probably quite immune to the feeling of drugs in many ways because a pain killing drug to an AFL player is quite normal & expected.

Yeah, well, maybe, or probably not. The doctors do not prescribe Peth, or Morphine or Heroin on match days. Its too mind altering. I would imagine a local aneasthetic (spelling??) would be the call for game day.

If pain medication is prescribed, I would hope that the amount and length would not require a player to end up in a home detox situation.

Yeah, well, maybe, or probably not. The doctors do not prescribe Peth, or Morphine or Heroin on match days. Its too mind altering. I would imagine a local aneasthetic (spelling??) would be the call for game day.

If pain medication is prescribed, I would hope that the amount and length would not require a player to end up in a home detox situation.

so would i, but if you have ever seen the medical room of an AFL club after halftime or after a game it can be quite confronting as to just how many syringes are used. AFL players would have far more exposure to drugs of all types than any of us. With a much larger disposable income than most other people their age.

The AFL are kidding themselves if they believe there's not a problem out there.

The 3 strike policy just gives the AFL kids more protection.

Edited by why you little

so would i, but if you have ever seen the medical room of an AFL club after halftime or after a game it can be quite confronting as to just how many syringes are used. AFL players would have far more exposure to drugs of all types than any of us. With a much larger disposable income than most other people their age.

The AFL are kidding themselves if they believe there's not a problem out there.

The 3 strike policy just gives the AFL kids more protection.

Sort of.

IMO WYL, it s the 1st & 2nd strikes that are the problems. the anonymity is the problem where issues are hidden, & NOT dealt with.

The players Club, & the AFL, should know immediately a player registers,,, or has a suspicious reading.

IMO, upon the 2nd strike, the public should know about it.

After the 3rd strike, it should be a 1 year suspension.

Sort of.

IMO WYL, it s the 1st & 2nd strikes that are the problems. the anonymity is the problem where issues are hidden, & NOT dealt with.

The players Club, & the AFL, should know immediately a player registers,,, or has a suspicious reading.

IMO, upon the 2nd strike, the public should know about it.

After the 3rd strike, it should be a 1 year suspension.

it's the first and second i am talking about.

By the 3rd strike it is the detox clinic in carlisle st.

That is what [censored] me.

Chris Mainwarring says hello.

• Like 1

Exactly, as does another WCoasta, not to mention a myriad of blues brothers, Care'less, & a Hawk. all wings & prayers.

it's the old brush it under the corner of the carpet. "no one will notice, they're too stupid to realise, until they trip over it".

Not at all, we all live different lives and move in different circles; mine is one where there are no drugs and that includes very little alcohol. When I go to dinner the usual drink order is water with the occasional light beer or one group who have a wine every now and then.

My workforce is drug free, my kids are drug free, except for the occasional beer and I stopped going to night clubs many years ago.

So if I want to trip over someone drugged out of their mind I'd have to go to King Street and I can assure you I have no intention of doing that.

As I said before, one of my friends has smoked and grown pot for many years but he does it in the privacy of his own home and never in mine. I have no doubt that there is an epidemic of drug use now and peer pressure is the cause of a lot of it; it was that that caused me to start drinking and smoking all those years ago. But we can go one of two ways; we can facilitate its use by making it available to all, or continue to limit its use by continuing to make it illegal.

This is my opinion and it differs from yours but that's the nature of things, we all think we know everything and how to solve al the Worlds problems; well at least some do.

Oh! one more thing, I believe that people are turning to drugs for many reasons and the pressure of life is merely one of them. This is one of the most selfish, self centred, generations I have ever come across and the desire to indulge themselves is a vey high priority.

I notice you and your family almost never drink alcohol, Robbie. Despite the fact that it is legal, socially acceptable and readily available, you choose note to partake in it. Yet, you claim that if other drugs were legal and readily available, suddenly everyone is going to be a junkie. You seem to be experiencing some cognitive dissonance on the issue here.

Alcohol is a drug. Just as THC (weed), MDMA (ecstasy), opiates, amphetamines, etc etc. They're all drugs, and alcohol is no less "druggy" than the others. It's just as damaging mentally and physically (I would argue much more damaging than THC on both fronts, in fact), yet you don't seem to be calling for alcohol to be banned.

If you did, of course, everyone would refer to the prohibition laws in the USA in the 20's when alcohol was illegal, which served to achieve nothing except make the likes of Al Capone fabulously rich. Clearly, prohibition was a failure. Yet, it lives on today under another name - The War on Drugs. It's failing just as spectacularly now as it was then. People are using drugs regularly, despite their illegal nature (just as they did with alcohol), and the profits from the sale of those drugs is not going to the government to help fund education programs and harm minimisation techniques, but to organised crime gangs to fund violent criminal lifestyles (as it did with alcohol).

Making drugs legal, all of them, every single one, and making them available in safe doses which are clearly marked and regulated will not correspond with a sudden increase in the use of drugs. It will, however, correspond with a sudden an immediately noticeable drop in organised crime and violence.

The sad truth is that some people will always choose to use drugs to alter their minds. You're not one of them, but you must concede that they exist, the evidence for that is irrefutable. So, if we accept that as the truth, we must decide what to do to create the best society we can around the problem. The present method encourages and rewards violent criminals, pushes drug-users away from healthcare, family and friends, pushes drug-users towards engaging in criminal activity themselves to fund their drug habits, and attaches to them a social stigma that makes it even more difficult for them to leave the drug taking culture (over and above the physical withdrawal symptoms they experience).

A society with legal and regulated supply of recreational drugs would not encourage or reward violent criminals, would keep regular drug users under the watchful eye of healthcare professionals, would generate a source of revenue with which to implement educational programs about the harms of drug abuse, and remove (some) of the need for users to engage in criminal activity to fund their addictions (price dependent).

Again, I ask. If illicit drugs became legal, would you and your sons suddenly start taking them, and if not, why do you assume everyone else would?

• Like 1

Mainy's problems were well in grained before he was in the AFL, hell of a nice guy but really had his demons and also suffered from the black dog.

Have to say I fully agree with you WYL. 1st strike club notified and strict monitoring, regular testing and some work with those affected by by drug use

Mainy's problems were well in grained before he was in the AFL, hell of a nice guy but really had his demons and also suffered from the black dog.

Have to say I fully agree with you WYL. 1st strike club notified and strict monitoring, regular testing and some work with those affected by by drug use

yes PSD i agree.

Many nice people have savage Demons and shouldn't be left to expire in such anguish.

3 strikes is a free ride to walk away with a "clear" consience

After a proven battle with "The Black Dog" , they take someone who cannot handle the Turkish front ,and put them in control of the biggest alliance ever .How the allies won with a Drunk ,Depressive ,Elderly ,Tory stalwart like Churchill is mind blowing .More to do with the insanity of Hitler than the Genius of Churchill ,which is negligible .

Edited by Biffen

After a proven battle with "The Black Dog" , they take someone who cannot handle the Turkish front ,and put them in control of the biggest alliance ever .How the allies won with a Drunk ,Depressive ,Elderly ,Tory stalwart like Churchill is mind blowing .More to do with the insanity of Hitler than the Genius of Churchill ,which is negligible .

They didn't....

They won on paper but it broke the bank to do it...

The last war payment was made by Britian in 2005.

It took that long.

My take is, no One Wins from War... there is only ever casualties of War. No one ever comes back better than when they went.

Many have been hurt by the very hand of "Casualties of War"... I was assaulted when about 8 Yrs old, ambushed in the driveway of my home, around cracker night, by an Ex POW...

He came out of the bushes in my driveway as I returned home in late Twilight, from setting off some crackers about the streets. a big man he picked me up under the armpits & shook the living shitt out of me until I fell out of my torn shirt....

A couple of my mates had alcoholic fathers & uncles,,, who fought in the war & were very aggressive types. My mates turned into alcoholics & both died recently from the disease.

I don't think anyone is untouched from Wars.

• Like 1

I lost 10 years to drugs and wish i could tell lot's of young men what i went through.

Thank god for my wife and kids.

Drugs are evil.

That's true for some people. For me some of the best times I have had have been on drugs and I seriously believe I would not be the person I am today if it weren't for marijuana, LSD & MDMA. I've used alcohol many times as well and would say that it can be good also, but for the most part is one of the most useless drugs with some of the worst side-effects.

Drugs are certainly not "evil"; they are not good either, they just are. Their benefits or otherwise come down to the person using them, similarly to alcohol. Some people drink alcohol and it acts as a social lubricant others use it and they turn depressed or aggressive usually because they are stupid or have underlying problems to begin with. Similarly with other drugs they all have their pro's and con's it is not a one way street. Drugs like LSD & MDMA can and should be used in psychotherapy but due to the fundamentalist policies of the US imposed on the rest of the world over the last 40 years unfortunately this has not been the case.

The problem with footballers using drugs (aside from the fact they make their living from keeping their bodies in peak physical shape) is that for the most part, footballers are meatheads with low levels of education and so they are far more likely to feel the negative effects of drugs and are far more likely to use drugs like meth or coke which have fewer redeeming qualities when used in those circumstances and are probably as likely as alcohol to get them into trouble. Despite that I really don't see why players should be tested unless the claims are that these drugs are performance enhancing. If not then they should not be tested (particularly off-season) and it should not even really be an issue unless it starts to effect theit performance or they begin to suffer from addiction. As in society at large the best course clubs or the AFL can take is to educate players on the effects of the drugs both short and long term and move away from a punitive system. Of course if a player is found using drugs in the lead-up to a game the club has every right to suspend them as they would if they went out on the booze.

My take is, no One Wins from War... there is only ever casualties of War. No one ever comes back better than when they went.

Many have been hurt by the very hand of "Casualties of War"... I was assaulted when about 8 Yrs old, ambushed in the driveway of my home, around cracker night, by an Ex POW...

He came out of the bushes in my driveway as I returned home in late Twilight, from setting off some crackers about the streets. a big man he picked me up under the armpits & shook the living shitt out of me until I fell out of my torn shirt....

A couple of my mates had alcoholic fathers & uncles,,, who fought in the war & were very aggressive types. My mates turned into alcoholics & both died recently from the disease.

I don't think anyone is untouched from Wars.

My point being that The United Kingdom remained The United Kingdom at the end of '45 after a long and vicious bombing campaign.

But they paid for it in a big way with both casualties and $$$$

Do you always have to go left field on every post i write DL??