Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Finals 2013

Deemachine

My optimistic side just jolted out of control and I put $50.00 to win $500.00 via sportsbet for Dees to make the eight.

Beat me to it Bitter i reckon it is always worth a punt and our fixture is not bad also this year with more games versus the new franchises. But please the rest of you D'Landers don't start betting or you might ruin the odds. lol

Edited by Felix da Dee

i think with all the new inclusions this year it will be hard to make the finals coz its practically a new team, they need a season to play together to figure out how each other plays and their strengths/weaknesses. So i think 2014 we will cement 8th spot but probably not go any further in the finals until 2015. However i would love them to go crazy this year and make finals!!

Key players if we're to turn around our fortunes = Clark, Dawes, Pedersen, Trengove, Viney, Sylvia, Blease, Grimes, Frawley, Jamar

For varying reasons these 10 players become critical to our rise up the ladder.

Clark - will now believe he can make an impact in the AFL as a key forward. 22 games from a fit Clark is definitely worth a few wins.

Dawes - provides that hard working bullocking long target that makes Clark more dangerous. Will straightens the side up and needs to hit the scoreboard - 35/40 goals.

Pedersen - may be as good a pick up as Dawes. Versatile player that becomes a difficult match up for an opposition third tall defender, as well as ruck relief. Averaged 1.75 goals from his last 12 AFL games - 30 goals.

Trengove - needs to not only capture some of his better form as an 18 and 19 year old, but surpass those seasons. At 21 the time is now and the ability is there. If he can start to fulfill his undoubted talent it will be huge for our midfield. Needs to happen.

Viney - I'm constantly reminding myself to not put too much pressure on, but I won't put any more than he already puts on himself. I see no reason he won't have a 'Toby Green year' and be our midfield general, along with Jones, by the end of it. If he's the player I expect then our midfield will improve overnight.

Sylvia - started to show signs in the midfield that the penny may be dropping. 22 good games from this guy would be huge. But it's a big 'if'.

Blease - starting to get an engine. His pace and run from a wing really damages the opposition. Could light up the G. These players get a team going. Don't underestimate Jetta's impact in Sydney's flag.

Grimes - will have his first preseason with the mids. Needs to improve and play 22 games. Strong over the ball and should get better.

Frawley - needs to get back to his best form of 2010. With a better midfield and a developing back-line life should get easier and give him the trust and confidence in his teammates to be more attacking. He's had a lot on his shoulders that has curtailed his run.

Jamar - I don't have high expectations, I just want 20 games. Still one of the best tap ruckman in the league and if he can be a big body in the middle with blocking, shepherding, etc. as well as some quality hitouts, it's a strong fillip for a young midfield.

There are lots of ifs and buts, but it's about time some things fell our way. We haven't quite emulated North's feat from the short-lived 10 year rule in the 70's, when they went from wooden spooner in 1972, winning a solitary game, to grand finalists two years later, but not many clubs in recent memory have been able to recruit so many senior players from other clubs, while at the same time being able to inject top 5 talent with the likes of Viney and pick 4.

Occasionally a club has a year where just about every player improves, and sometimes, as we know, the opposite occurs. For some reason I'm quite bullish about next year and I wouldn't be surprised to see anywhere from 8-12 wins and a strong platform leading into 2014. If these players can have the type of impact I'm expecting then it helps make every other player around them better.

And I haven't even mentioned Hogan...

• Like 4

We have added a lot of depth to our side for next year which will help us win a few more games as we should score more heavily when we get the ball into our forward 50. But other clubs will also do well from the draft GWS and Bulldogs are going to get some good pickups this this from the draft so that will help them be more competitive.

What we need to do is tighten up our defensive pressure. Looking at a couple of this years games on Foxtel and you can see the lack of pressure as teams just ran us ragged with their loose men and the endeavor/effort from some players at times left a lot to be desired, the Nth Melbourne game for instance saw them score something like 12+ goals from turnovers. This is the part of our game that kills us, guys hand balling the ball out of bounds and getting pinged, kicking out from defense and putting it over the boundary, or swinging back across ground and getting it chopped off, kicking it into our forward 50 to a 2+on1 contests. Our skill level and possession level has to improve, if it does then we have the potential to challenge most sides. If it does not then next years cull will be even more savage.

The first 6 game will decide if we can or can't make it. The run home is tough.

I say we can make it.

Hope not like last year

I went home from the Brisbane game knowing deep down we were in for a very very bad season and had nothing to look forward to all year

I am really hoping for great start to the year and we kick some a#@e

Key players if we're to turn around our fortunes = Clark, Dawes, Pedersen, Trengove, Viney, Sylvia, Blease, Grimes, Frawley, Jamar

For varying reasons these 10 players become critical to our rise up the ladder.

Clark - will now believe he can make an impact in the AFL as a key forward. 22 games from a fit Clark is definitely worth a few wins.

Dawes - provides that hard working bullocking long target that makes Clark more dangerous. Will straightens the side up and needs to hit the scoreboard - 35/40 goals.

Pedersen - may be as good a pick up as Dawes. Versatile player that becomes a difficult match up for an opposition third tall defender, as well as ruck relief. Averaged 1.75 goals from his last 12 AFL games - 30 goals.

Trengove - needs to not only capture some of his better form as an 18 and 19 year old, but surpass those seasons. At 21 the time is now and the ability is there. If he can start to fulfill his undoubted talent it will be huge for our midfield. Needs to happen.

Viney - I'm constantly reminding myself to not put too much pressure on, but I won't put any more than he already puts on himself. I see no reason he won't have a 'Toby Green year' and be our midfield general, along with Jones, by the end of it. If he's the player I expect then our midfield will improve overnight.

Sylvia - started to show signs in the midfield that the penny may be dropping. 22 good games from this guy would be huge. But it's a big 'if'.

Blease - starting to get an engine. His pace and run from a wing really damages the opposition. Could light up the G. These players get a team going. Don't underestimate Jetta's impact in Sydney's flag.

Grimes - will have his first preseason with the mids. Needs to improve and play 22 games. Strong over the ball and should get better.

Frawley - needs to get back to his best form of 2010. With a better midfield and a developing back-line life should get easier and give him the trust and confidence in his teammates to be more attacking. He's had a lot on his shoulders that has curtailed his run.

Jamar - I don't have high expectations, I just want 20 games. Still one of the best tap ruckman in the league and if he can be a big body in the middle with blocking, shepherding, etc. as well as some quality hitouts, it's a strong fillip for a young midfield.

There are lots of ifs and buts, but it's about time some things fell our way. We haven't quite emulated North's feat from the short-lived 10 year rule in the 70's, when they went from wooden spooner in 1972, winning a solitary game, to grand finalists two years later, but not many clubs in recent memory have been able to recruit so many senior players from other clubs, while at the same time being able to inject top 5 talent with the likes of Viney and pick 4.

Occasionally a club has a year where just about every player improves, and sometimes, as we know, the opposite occurs. For some reason I'm quite bullish about next year and I wouldn't be surprised to see anywhere from 8-12 wins and a strong platform leading into 2014. If these players can have the type of impact I'm expecting then it helps make every other player around them better.

And I haven't even mentioned Hogan...

Great analysis. I'd add Watts for his potential to provide an attacking back flanker to replace Grimes as he moves into the middle. HIs in-form phase in 2012, if repeated for all of 2013, would help us open up many teams on the counter attack while also lifting the quality of our defence.

• Like 1

Old 'You may say I'm dreaming, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one"

longsuffering, buck_nekkid said

" Tell me I'm dreamin"

So I did, just a small joke

Edited by old dee

Although we have all of these new players coming in and training regime and so on, it will take time for them to gel as a side. Considering what will be a very large turnover of players by the end of the draft period, it will take time for them to learn to work as a unit and this takes game time. I'll be ecstatic if we get 8 wins on the board.

• Like 1

Not sure about bows but a long barrelled shotgun shoots straighter than a short barrel.

Mate it is a saying that you probably don't know.

It means making a statement based facts that are a long way from the current situation.

To suggest that events that happened 60 years ago would repeat now is a very very hopeful statement.

Without the expansion sides we would've won 1 game last year. We haven't brought in any star talent - dont see why or how we would improve enough to get off the bottom into the eight.

Rhaz I agree with the first part.

But I do believe we have improved our list and with reasonable luck on the injury front we should improve.

However it does remain that we won only one game in 2012

We lost a large number of games by big margins

Most games were over at quarter time, we were not even competitive in most games.

A very large improvement is needed in 2013 to just rise from what was effectively last to a few spots higher.

No matter how much I look at the draw I cannot see more than eight wins.

IMO that would get us to maybe 10 or 11th on the ladder.

Again IMO that will be a good result for a team that has been noncompetitive for five years.

We all like to dream but a miracle would be needed to make eighth place.

The last one of those happened to Mary Mckillop a century ago.

I doubt there will be one for the Dees in 2013.

Good progression will be a good result in 2013

Although we have all of these new players coming in and training regime and so on, it will take time for them to gel as a side. Considering what will be a very large turnover of players by the end of the draft period, it will take time for them to learn to work as a unit and this takes game time. I'll be ecstatic if we get 8 wins on the board.

You have my vote.

Compared to 2012 eight wins will make my football year

With our draw if we don't win 7 games it will be a very poor result.

GSW x 2

Suns x 2

Dogs x 2 - the days of them having the wood over us should well and truly be over

Port at the G

Brisbane in Darwin

Freo at the G

Richmond at the G

Essendon at the G

St.Kilda at the G

We're not going to win all of those 12 matches, but all of them are winnable. It's amazing what confidence and belief does for a club. We need to gains some early momentum.

We won 4 games in 2012 in a year where nothing went right. We won 8.5 wins in 2010 and the same in 2011 when we didn't have adequate fitness to run both ways and relied on beating interstate teams at the G - as well as lowly Richmond. Richomond won 10 games this year and outside of Cotchin and the class of Deledio I'd argue that we have a better forward-line and at least as good a defence. Melbourne need to make headway in the midfield with improvement from Trengove, Grimes, Howe, Sylvia, Blease, Evans, McKenzie with the addition of Viney.

I still think 8-10 wins should be the benchmark.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

Mate it is a saying that you probably don't know.

It means making a statement based facts that are a long way from the current situation.

To suggest that events that happened 60 years ago would repeat now is a very very hopeful statement.

I am well aware of the saying re 'long bows'.

My reply to you was a metaphor implying that a repeat is a distinct possibility.

All you have to do is compare MFC today to this time last year.

BTW

You also implied that I am a youngster or uneducated.

I can remember black outs in the 2nd WW and started barracking for the Dees in 1947. So I guess that means the other; and

that is a matter of opinion. It could be the difference between having the ability to read or not.

OP is right in his basic analysis - it is very obvious that our forwardline was our biggest issue last year. It is very clear that Neeld has sought to immediately address this issue with forwardline recruits (who also add general experience to the group). If 1+1 end up equalling two then things could pan out for us. However, it has to be noted that on 'net gain' terms our average amount of talent-per-player has not increased. Essentially we are talking swapping Rivers, Moloney, Morton, Green and Bate for a bunch of mediocre recruits. I also wonder what effect this tanking carp is going to have on everybody, it could be huge. I place the blame for that solely and squarely on Brock McLean and Caroline Wilson.