Caroline Wilson's descent into gutter journalism

titan_uranus

Anyone who's seen her in action on Footy Classified would know that Caro's a bit slow on the uptake when it comes down to tongue in cheek humour.

She's actually clueless.

Thinking about context, joking or otherwise it was quite reasonable to discuss the implications of winning more games because the AFL put in place rules that would have a major impact on the club and it's drafting at the end of the year. He was Footy Manager FFS!

Guest José Mourinho

This is all extrapolation and it is death by a thousand cuts but nothing I have read from CW convinces me we are in trouble.

Show me the email trail explicitly saying our intent and that's a different story, but don't give me CC's wry sense of dark humour and CS's 'sullen look'...

Give me some real evidence!

I'm just a bit scared to find out what the AFL have really got on us.

I don't believe CW has direct knowledge of the results of the entire investigation to date.

From the articles, it looks a pretty flimsy case, but I wait in trepidation.

The football media is worse than , british tabloids all he said , she said, allegedly , a source close to the club, a senior official is belived to etc.

They are fuelling this fire to keep papers selling and themselves in the news/ their jobs and on radio. The allegations may prove to be true but at this stage all the reports have no substance at all.

makes me mad!!!

Guest José Mourinho

I can't for the life of me understand why CC would have a meeting with all that staff to explain that. If it was a strategy the club wanted to go with turn why include so many people? DB was senior coach, he made the decisions with players at the end of the day, he didn't need to answer to any of the assistants.

Seriously?

I thought it was clear that this was a regular football dept meeting, and CC allegedly made these comments during the course of that.

Why plan a special meeting when they hold them regularly anyway?

Just make your comment at the next meeting.

So much beat up in this.

The football media is worse than , british tabloids all he said , she said, allegedly , a source close to the club, a senior official is belived to etc.

They are fuelling this fire to keep papers selling and themselves in the news/ their jobs and on radio. The allegations may prove to be true but at this stage all the reports have no substance at all.

makes me mad!!!

Don't get mad, with the club not being able to reply/choosing not to reply, our time will come, be patient - I trust it will be worth it.

A court of law is the only place i can see the MFC getting the right of reply.

This is now a VERY serious witch hunt from The Age, Hun & Australian

It appears Schwab, McLardy and co have made themselves unavailable to the media so far. They don't want to answer some very tough questions. They have the right of reply to the media allegations but they choose not to.

Ok all, lets be honest about this. We have fuc#ed up. Their is way to much evidence now to deny it.

I have re framed from posting some cheeky comments so far due to the severity of this and as a supporter I do not like it.

My take on this is that Chris Connolly is the fool who brought this upon the MFC. It seems he instigated it, drove it and pushed it. Sure in his mind it was the best for the MFC but look where we are now.

Players and coaches both opposed this idea and because of that the MFC should not be penalised. Chris Connolly should be the only one penalized here as it was not a MFC decision to tank as a whole but rather a few individuals within the club.

Their was no vote or agreence in the MFC to push the 'tank' therefore they cannot hold the MFC as a whole to contempt on this one and it would not be right to do so. It would be the equivalent of a Safeway store manager assaulting someone in a store. Safeway as a whole would not go down for that, just the individual.

It appears Schwab, McLardy and co have made themselves unavailable to the media so far. They don't want to answer some very tough questions. They have the right of reply to the media allegations but they choose not to.

thanks Capt Obvious. I am aware of what is going on.
  • Like 1

I heard from someone who heard from someone that is was not Greens idea to retire and was well and truly pushed into it and again the club has [censored] off another champion of the club. Whether he would have had an impact or not who knows.

If Green didn't want to retire but had to be 'forced' into it, he's hardly the first player in the history of the game that this has happened to. In all sports champions of the game and some who were just plodders refuse to recognise that their time is up.

When Shane Warne retired he said he'd rather have people saying "Why did he retire?" rather than play on too long and have people saying "Why didn't he retire?"

Brad Green retired at the right time for him. Whether he wanted to or not is a different question.

Its fair to say that an ex employee is telling Caro for the age and players are talking to the herald sun. Greg Denham wrote something similar in the Australian and found out about it 2 days later after the Port win. Sorry but when the Aaron Davey story went around Caro actually spoke to Neeld directly to check out the story. Im just saying that CAro has been running with this and you just couldnt make this stuff up. She is a journalist its what she does. If this was CArlton/Collingwood or essendon we would be right into it wanting to know more and having a go at them.

Also isnt it funny that everyone in that meeting has since left all but 2. Now we know why there was so much angst with the players/ CEO. I could actually imagine both CS and CC going to Bailey and telling him this and I could imagine CC standing up and saying we shouldnt have won that.

These players talking to the sun are they ex players or current? Thats what Id like to know.

Im glad in one way Jim isnt hear to see all of this but it would be nice to get his proper side of the story so his name wont be mud.

I think CS and CC should pack up there office and go in and live in a hole with Brian Waldron. If they cost us Jack Viney I will be furious.

• Like 2

thanks Capt Obvious. I am aware of what is going on.

Then why keep jabbering on about the right of reply? They have every right to defend themselves now. It is obvious these individuals have received legal advice to say nothing because they will likely incriminate themselves and get trapped into telling lies like Tom Scully. If they really have nothing to hide they would have been on the front foot a long time ago.

Edited by america de cali

That's fair enough in my book. They're in the business of running a football club, not selling newspapers. There will come a time when they have their opportunity to state their case.

I think it would be helpful for Demonlanders to avail themselves of the opportunity of attending a real live court case to see how these things really work. I did recently and after hearing the prosecution case I thought the accused was guilty without any doubt but then I heard the defendant's witnesses and thought the pendulum had swung 360 degrees. It's worse with the crap you read in the media which is often taken out of context if not outright lies. Some of the stuff put forward as evidence is nothing more than fanciful speculation and wouldn't be admissible as evidence in a proper court of law.

• Like 1

Also the only way not to be goaded or misquoted is to say nothing.

Obviously neither seem gullible to fall for a trap being set for them.

Have no doubt they say what they need to and want to when they see fit.

Because they are not the complete idiots you think they are.

Your statement convinces me you are either a troll or hate these guys so much it distorts all your thinking.

Edit: to add sentence

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

Then why keep jabbering on about the right of reply? They have every right to defend themselves now. It is obvious these indivduals have received legal advice to say nothing because they will likely incriminate themselves and get trapped into telling lies like Tom Scully. If they really have nothing to hide they would have been on the front foot a long time ago.

who's jabbering apart from you?

The negative stuff coming from you over the last 48 hours is actually quite humorous.

I was merely saying that the club are going to have trouble speaking via the press as they have already been crucified.

Good post. I feel the same. I am 60 and have supported them all my life. My wife and kids the same. Never seen them win a flag. Copped [censored] from other clubs fans all my life but never strayed. I started the first supporters club magazine, called Demon's World. I started a supporters group called the Premier's Club. I have been a Director of the club. I have been Team Manager of the club. I brought in a new President, Wayne Reid. I am a Foundation member. I am a sponsor. I enjoy Demonland. I have given all my hope and soul to this club. I don't want anything but success for the club.

I have watched Boards fight each other. I was even part of one big fight. I nearly cried at the merger meeting when I saw the way people treated the late Tiger Ridley, a true Demon great. I have seen the club tear itself apart. This year I watched as Jim passed away, not long after two other Demon greats in Sean Wight and Stewart Spencer. I watched a sponsor stuff us up. I watched the Jurrah situation. I watched as our Coach was falsely called a racist. I watched the team get smashed week after week. I watched the media go to town on us and they still are.

It just seems so unfair. Other teams cheat and win Premierships. We are the only team to win a game that losing would have given us a priority pick and we did it twice. When we did get a pick the kid spent a year lying to us and his dying President before the AFL took him away from us. There is so much more i could go on about.

We seem to spend all of our time worrying about our club. It nearly makes you want to cry and give up. However that is just not acceptable as I have my children and grandchildren who I want to one day enjoy success that I have been denied.

Stop the fighting amongst each other and all get behind the club.

If we lose draft picks I want this club to fight all the way and I mean all the way. We owe it to those who came before and those who will come after. I don't give a rat's arse what we have to do to prevail in this situation, I just want it done. If we have to bring in every other club or destroy Demetriou or hurt the AFL I don't give a sh-t anymore. I have had enough.

Yes we may have been naughty but no different to many other clubs yet we alone once again are copping it. Our brand is being trashed and our future hampered and in fact put at real risk. We have 40 or so players who want to win for us and we need to support them. I don't care how dirty we need to be just do it.

We are seen as a weak club. NO BLOODY MORE. If we lose draft picks, we should hit the Courts, rally at the AFL and show the rest of the clubs that we are here to stay.

Sorry for the rant, I have just had a gutful.

Thanks Redleg. Don't be sorry. This says what I feel.

I have now developed a real loathing for some people over this.

Let's just not forget them...ever!

Because they are not the complete idiots you think they are.

Your statement convinces me you are either a troll or hate these guys so much it distorts all your thinking.

Edit: to add sentence

Only idiots could have put this club in the mess it is in and now they are invoking the idiots defence. Play the dumb dora routine.

Edited by america de cali

I might be wrong (and I often am), but to me it's looking more and more like Schwab and Connolly are going to be carrying the can for this and that the MFC as a whole will probably not be hit with too big a penalty. You would have to think that if the AFL come down on us too hard, it's going to open a can of worms that will be too hard to contain... and I think that that is probably the last thing that Vlad and his crew will be wanting to manage (otherwise, how is he going to maintain his rep as Australia's greatest sports administrator?).

Edited by hardtack

I've got no truck against CW, as some one has said on this thread she is just doing her job. What i really don't like is how crap sport journalism in general is now. This is in large part due to the internet i reckon - both in terms of it slashing profits which in turn impacts on editorial standards and the need for new daily updates. Almost like a serialization of stories, drip, drip, drip.

This latest article is absolutely woeful though i have to say. Rubbish. Like others i'd like to know where she is getting her info from one assumes it is ex players and employees not the AFL.

One interesting part is this though:

As the AFL continues its exhaustive and potentially explosive inquiry it has emerged that league-appointed IT experts moved into the Demons' headquarters last month to investigate club email trails dating back to 2009 and possibly earlier.

This to me reinforces that they need more than just a bunch of hearsay and comments from aggrieved ex employees. They need some solid proof. Lets hope CC wasn't silly enough to fire off a tongue in cheek email that could be misconstrued!

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

This concerns me. Sure I posted earlier it's good MFC aren't going to play this saga out in the media as CW would like us to. (CC not returning calls etc.)

Melbourne's brand is being damaged and this has got to have an effect on Membership and general pre-season momentum.

I would like to see our President Mc Clardy get up and make a Positive statement here and pull CW into line. She seems to have an agenda here.

Love or Hate Eddie McGuire there is no way he would tolerate this continued attack on his club.

Edited by thaipantsman

Love or hate Eddie as you must but at the end of the day I have noticed the guy has always seemed to have a soft spot for the MFC.

He has stuck up for us on a few occasions, hasn't threatened us in regards to taking their staff/players as he has done to other clubs and lets us reap the benefits of the Queens Birthday Clash.

People say he does this as one day he will need the favors returned but if he did then why wouldn't he be like this to every club? I don't think I have ever seen the guy stick up for another club besides ours before (even though we have taken several staff/players)

This concerns me. Sure I posted earlier it's good MFC aren't going to play this saga out in the media as CW would like us to. (CC not returning calls etc.)

Melbourne's brand is being damaged and this has got to have an effect on Membership and general pre-season momentum.

I would like to see our President Mc Clardy get up and make a Positive statement here and pull CW into line. She seems to have an agenda here.

Love or Hate Eddie McGuire there is no way he would tolerate this continued attack on his club.

Im in two minds about this. One sort of agrees but the other as Ive noted elsewhere is more circumspect to the events and opportunities.

Just like first impressions , going onto your front foot usually affords a one off opportunity to get offensive ( gamewise ) stuff it up and youre in no mans land quick smart. Just like comedy timing is everything. Im not sure what they look like or how many there are but id suggest Mclardy is awaiting all the little black ducks to line up for his opening salvo. It might be soon it might be in court.

The media are pushing all the butons attempting to get a bite out of the club. Theyd love a presser where they could ambush.

Saying nothing presently makes that very hard to do. All they are currently offering is rehashes of speculative jibes.

This is war, timing is everything.