Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mock Draft 2012

MadAsHell

First phantom draft so be kind. I've only posted the first 4 rounds as I think we'll be done by then as will several other teams.

I'm taking into account our departures Green (ret), Rivers (FA), Moloney (FA), Martin (trade), Gysberts (trade), Morton (trade), Jurrah (quit) & Lawrence (quit) our other delistings Cook, Bennell, Petterd, Bate, Sheahan & Williams.

Firstly in the delisted free agent period from November 1-13, I would look at signing:

Player: James Hawksley

Height: 187cm

Weight: 80kg

Club: Brisbane

Description: A creative and versatile player hailing from Western Australia, James Hawksley is a medium-sized midfielder/defender who has wonderful foot skills and a great understanding of the game. With senior experience under his belt, he can expect to push for regular senior opportunities at Melbourne.

Then for the draft:

ROUND 1

1.Greater Western Sydney

Player: Lachlan Whitfield

Height: 184cm

Weight: 74kg

Club: Dandenong Stingrays

Description: Whitfield is the best junior in this years crop on current performances. To go along with his elite skills he has the endurance to just go and go all day at good speed. I have a feeling I read he clocked a 17 in the beep test which is incredible for a 17/18 year old. At this stage is more an outside midfielder who can go forward and kick goals which in modern footy is a more than handy attribute with the sub rule. With the Giants' array of inside mids Whitfield will be the outside class that they need to add to complete their midfield.

2. Greater Western Sydney

Player: Brodie Grundy

Height: 202cm

Weight: 100kg

Club: Sturt

Description: Grundy would be one of the best ruckman available in quite some time. He is probably the only true rival to Whitfield for that no.1 selection especially with Sheedy's comments about talls. Excellent tap ruckman who can really bring his midfielders into the game. Already has a big body and with his mobility and ability below his knees I think he will be able to come in and play as a 2nd ruck from day one. Could probably be the no.1 ruck on ability but he'd just get banged up. Reasonable contested mark, good tank on him already and his kicking skills are improving very quickly.

3. Greater Western Sydney

Player: Jimmy Toumpas

Height: 183cm

Club: Woodville West Torrens

Description: Toumpas is a very highly skilled midfielder from SA.He's a player that a coach can throw anywhere on the field and he can perform. Has already been performing to a very high level at SANFL senior level as a 16 year old including a premiership with WWT. Like Whitfield is probably more of an outside type but has the ability to win a clearance and just burst out of a pack and be very damaging with his ball use once in the clear. Toumpas will be too hard to pass over and I believe ina few years will have no issue playing more inside.

4. Melbourne

Player: Oliver Wines

Height:185cm

Weight: 83kg

Club:Bendigo Pioneers

Description: Wines would challenge Viney for the title of best inside midfielder in this draft. He's a fair bit bigger than Viney and isn't afraid to crash in with his big frame. Has pretty good endurance so can run all day but isn't overly quick. He's a decent kick without being anything special and at Champs it would have been nice to see him convert a bit more of his opportunities in front of goal.

5.Western Bulldogs

Player: Jake Stringer

Height: 191cm

Weight: 91kg

Club: Bendigo Pioneers

Description: Stringer was looking to be the bargain of the draft despite his injury. He was being looked at as a mid-late first rounder and with the Cats interest in him, although the Western Bulldogs are looking likely to take him very early. Stringer is just a man mountain in under 18’s. I have a few question marks over his foot skills (I’ll admit I hadn’t seen him pre-broken leg so that could be the reason) and whether or not he dominates midfield because he’s just that much bigger. Having said that he’s not an awful kick and he does crack in hard so that should translate to being a dominate AFL clearance player too. I think if you are drafting him it’s as a midfielder who rests forward rather than a forward who pinch hits.

6.Western Bulldogs

Player: Mason Shaw

Height: 198cm

Weight: 92kg

Club: South Fremantle

Description: It's a shame about the broken jaw that Shaw received earlier in the year. Kicked 8 in his return game but he hasn't really got going yet outside of that. Not completely sold on Shaw as a high pick but he's a great size at 198cm and can play as a 2nd ruck as well as FF. He's more of a stay at home forward rather that a guy who will roam up the field which is fine because he is a very good contested mark and looks like he could fill out to be a monster like Tippett. Kicked 7 in last years Grand Final so that should hold him in good stead come draft night. Reckon the Dogs might take a punt early with their need for a tall forward.

7.Port Adelaide

Player: Sam Mayes

Weight: 78kg

Club: North Adelaide

Description: Mayes could well become the best player in this draft. Absolutely love the way he goes about his footy. He has one of, if not the very best kick in this draft pool. Top notch kick. Has a lot of versatility with his development beginning as a lead-up forward where he dominated at champs last year. This year has turned into a more full-time midfielder. Has copped some heavy defensive attention this year so is very highly rated. Last year playing forward he had the ability to get great separation from his defender and whilst I haven't really seen him use this burst as a midfielder as much he always seems to have an eternity. I think he compares pretty favorably to Pendlebury in this regard.

8.Brisbane

Player: Lachlan Plowman

Weight: 86kg

Club: Calder Cannons

Description: Plowman is a very good rebounding KPD whom the VM coach has said was sorely missed during the Champs (can't have been missed too much). I have him this high because a few Melbourne fans flagged him as a possible Pick 4. Just a hunch but I think his career may pan out similar to a Mundy. First few years as a rebounding HBF but then move into a midfield role.

9.Richmond

Player: Jonathan O'Rourke

Weight: 75kg

Description: O'Rourke is a skillful inside/outside mid who will be in top 10 calculations. After an injury riddled 2011 he has remained injury free this year. Not an overly big player physically but is quite an accomplished player on the inside. Always seems to have time to pick the right option and hit his target. Fantastic composure. Is also a very good athlete with good mix of endurance and speed. Will probably play a season or two as an outside mid before moving into the guts.

10.Essendon

Player: Joe Daniher

Height: 201cm

Weight: 89kg

Description: Daniher I’d have in the top 5(Whitfield/Grundy/Toumpas/Viney) pretty comfortably. One thing that has really impressed me (and he does have an advantage over other 18’s) is the muscle he has put on. He’s already filling out nicely for such a tall kid. His kicking in the WA game for goal wasn’t great but he’s quite capable of having a day of 7.0 so I don’t see it as an issue at all.

11.Carlton

Player: Jackson MacRae

Height: 188cm

Club: Oakleigh Chargers

Description: Highly skilled outside midfielder/half forward. Has very good pace and excellent agility that allow him to break the lines and cut teams up. Is slowly starting to be able to win his own ball and can be a very damaging goal kicker up forward as evidenced in his 6 goal haul in game 2 of the Champs. His kicking skills are a big feature of his game and he will certainly be a guy pushing for a 1st round selection come draft day.

12. Greater Western Sydney

Player: Dayle Garlett

Height: 180cm

Club: Swan Districts

Description: Garlett is the most interesting player come draft night for mine. Will he go top 5-10 like his talent deserves or will he slide out of the first round due to his 'attitude problems.' By all accounts he still has a fair way to go to rid himself of the perception he has created but he has gone a long way to doing so. Another highly skilled outside mid going early but he has genuine line-breaking ability with his pace and deadly accurate kicking skills. He also has the ability to win his own ball but his forte will be as a goal-kicking outside midfielder.

13. Gold Coast

Player: Troy Menzel

Height: 186cm

Weight: 77kg

Club: Central Districts

Description: If Menzel can stay fit he will probably be one of the most damaging players in the draft. Managed to kick 15 goals in 2 Champs games before succumbing to injury. Has had the LARS surgery but that was some 2 years ago. Will probably go between 10-15 at least. Troy is a highly skilled medium forward/midfielder. He’s a great size and elite kick of the footy. As a forward he is more than capable of getting his goals from being a lead and mark player or as a crumber similar to a Stevie J. When fit is a pretty good athlete which should hold him in good stead at Draft Camp and boost his draft prospects.

14. Greater Western Sydney

Player: Tanner Smith

Height: 194cm

Club: North Ballarat Rebels

Description: Smith is fantastic when it comes to being able to shut down his man as he is rarely beaten however needs to work on hurting his opponent going the other way which modern footy seems to dictate you need to do at a lot of clubs. At this stage he doesn’t get much of the ball and isn’t the greatest kick.

15. North Melbourne

Player: Ben Kennedy

Height: 174cm

Weight: 76kg

Club: Glenelg

Description: Kennedy is a lightning quick midfielder/small forward. Is very much capable of doing both to a very high level. Can rack up a huge number of possession through the midfield or kick bags of goals in the forward line. If he was bigger would be a certain top 10 IMO and is still a chance to go there. By all accounts was very close to being selected by Adelaide with the mini-draft pick last year so that gives an idea of where he is at. One thing I really like about him for a guy who has the assets he does is he has a touch of arrogance. (Maybe more than a touch) Just has that I’m going to be able to burn you off look in his eyes when he sizes his opponent up.

16. Geelong

Player: Nick Vlastuin

Club: Northern Knights

Description: Vlastuin is a real hard nut inside midfielder. Someone who would fir right in at Geelong. Wasn’t hugely productive in the Champs but was playing a new role off a HBF. For a big bodied inside mid he has some pretty neat kicking skills. The downside to him would be that he isn’t the most athletically gifted player going around in that he isn’t very quick, he doesn’t have a big leap and he’s already very physically developed. However, he is already a pretty high level player and has the added bonus of good leadership quality as well.

17. Fremantle

Player:Josh Simpson

Weight: 72kg

Club: East Fremantle

Description: Simpson broke his collarbone I believe earlier in the year so had a slow start and showed a few signs in the Championships. Plays midfield and forward and will probably start his career as a forward before developing into a midfielder. He still has a bit of filling out to do to be ready for AFL but he has some really great skills both football wise and athletically. Has a huge leap on him to go with some very good pace. Think long term he will develop into a Daniel Wells type.

18. Collingwood

Player: Nathan Wright

Description: Wright is a hard nut who can play either off the half back flank or as a midfielder. He has surprised me a little bit with his athleticism. He has some pretty good line-breaking ability and also a decent leap on him. His skills aren’t bad but he certainly isn’t elite which won’t matter if he plays more inside mid as opposed to rebounding defender.

19. Collingwood

Player: Kristian Jaksch

Weight: 85kg

Description: I think Jaksch will turn out to be one of the best of this years KPF. Not sure he is worthy of a top 10 pick at this stage but I think a team will snatch him up quite early. Is a pretty solid KPD also, but it's his work as a KPF that will push him up to being a pick in the top 15-20. Is a very good contested mark and I believe he is a guy you could build an attack around long term. Has very good skills for a big man and believe he will turn into a big, strong FF/CHF like a Hurley type.

20. Adelaide

Player:Sam Colquhoun

Height:179cm

Club: Central Districts

Description: Colquhoun is a very skilful small defender/midfielder. Very rarely misses a target and would be a guy who you could trust with the kick-outs from day one. Not sold on him being a guaranteed 1st rounder at this stage. Have question marks on his ball winning ability as a midfielder and would like to see him play a bit more midfield. (Possibly just me not seeing him play games there as opposed to him not doing it?) Very composed and always has time to make the right decision so it should translate pretty well to being an AFL level midfielder. Not overly big so may take some time putting on some weight to be AFL ready.

21. Collingwood

Player: Laine Wilkins

Height:189cm

Club:Peel Thunder

Description: Wilkins is an interesting midfield/forward prospect who did his prospects no harm on the big stage nearly single handedly dragging WA back into the game against Metro with 3 third quarter goals. He has a good vertical leap and is quite a competent overhead mark, freakish speed and good skills. However, he is prone to the odd howler but that can be fixed at the next level IMO. As displayed in the Champs he is a guy with huge hurt factor whether it be midfield or as a forward.

22.Western Bulldogs

Player: Alex Howson

Height: 195cm

Description: Prior to the Champs Howson was making a name for himself as a KPF at East Fremantle, however WA swung him down into a key defensive post where he was rather impressive. His defensive skills were very good and while still a lightweight he is a fantastic height for a KPP. I believe his versatility as a bit of a swingman will see him be highly sought after for teams like Brisbane/St.Kilda/Bulldogs who need some up and coming KPP.

23.Sydney

Player: Tim Membrey

Weight: 87kg

Club: Gippsland Power

Description: Membrey is another guy I really like in the Darling/Crameri mould. Will need to work hard on his tank to be able to reach the heights of those guys though. Captain of the Gippsland Power so has good leadership qualities and is a high-character kid. Really strong-marking forward and an accurate kick for goal. His first quarter against SA was really impressive, especially some of his harassing and tackling. His issue is he’s not super quick so will he create separation from his opponent at AFL level and it’s this query that will see him slide down the draft.

24.Brisbane

Player: Nicholas Rodda

Weight: 94kg

Club: West Perth

Description: Rodda is a guy who I think will go higher than expected due to needs. He’s a lovely size and a very good full back. Can shut down an opponent but is also a very good kick for a FB of his size, which is a rare commodity to have. Capable of taking the kick-ins as well as linking up on the rebound and being able to hurt opposition teams with his foot skills which will see him go reasonably high for a full back.

ROUND 2

25.St Kilda

Player:Sam Lowrie

Weight:80kg

Description: Lowrie is a lovely height for a midfielder and has the body shape to really fill out. Was really disappointed we didn’t get to see him play more in the guts in the VM game. He’s capable of playing both inside and outside but really only got to see his outside play. He’s also more than capable of pushing forward to impact the scoreboard if given the chance. Could be a real bargain for the team that picks him up.

26.St Kilda

Player: Thomas Clurey

Height: 193cm

Club: Murray Bushrangers

Description: Clurey IMO is the best of a good group of KPD (not including Plowman who I’d have as a 3rd tall def/mid). Whilst I think Smith is probably a better shut down defender, Clurey is a better rebounder and more all-around KPD. In that sense he’s probably more you’re the type of guy to take the 2nd forward who he can run off a bit more. He probably won’t go first round but I like him a lot.

27. Melbourne

Player: Jack Viney

Height: 178cm

Description: Viney is probably the best inside midfielder of this draft crop and will add a lot of grunt to the Melbourne midfield. Probably the most ferocious junior to come through in a while. Just hunts the footy without much care for his well-being. Had seen him on video but saw him live for Casey this year and he was a maniac in his attack.

28. Greater Western Sydney

Player: Liam McBean

Height: 202cm

Weight:84kg

Description: McBean is one of the toughest to place. Has lots of potential as a highly athletic 200cm+ KPF/2nd ruck. I have heard he will likely go first round as you just don’t get guys with these qualities every day so someone could take the punt. I think you are more picking him for his work as either a KPF or KPD as he showed at the Champs, whilst his rucking is just an added bonus. His aerial ability, foot skills and reading of the play would hold him in good stead if someone wants to develop him as a KPD. However, not sure that 202cm CHB will be that successful. There’s always a first for everything though.

29. Hawthorn

Player: Nick Graham

Height: 182cm

Weight:76kg

Club: Gippsland Power

Description: Graham is another one of those players who I could see surprising come draft day. The obvious weakness to his game would be his kicking, it is quite inconsistent and he can turn it over a bit. But then again, on his day you wont even notice it. Otherwise, there is lots to like - strong mark, runs hard and is a big tackler. He has had a lot of success playing as a forward in the TAC Cup, but this year has been playing predominantly in the midfield and has been doing it well. AFL Comparison: Luke Parker.

30.Port Adelaide

Player: Tim Broomhead

Club: Port Adelaide

Description: After each game Broomhead plays, I seem to come away a bigger and bigger fan of his. I've gone from having him top 50, to top 30 to now possibly a first rounder. Everything he does, just looks like an AFL footballer. He can play at either end of the ground - for SA he looked really good running off a half back and up through the wings, while earlier on in the year for Port Adelaide he looked really good across the half forward flank kicking goals. And in between, he has been doing his thing in the midfield too. Broomhead is a neat kick, and has good skills overhead. Also runs hard, which is why he has had success in so many different positions. AFL Comparison: Dyson Heppell.

31.Port Adelaide

Player: Matthew Wallis

Height: 192cm

Weight: 84kg

Club: Norwood

Description: Wallis was SA’s no.1 KPD throughout the Champs but also had the challenging role of playing on NT’s smaller forwards and handled himself really well. Not a huge guy but a pretty good athlete and is big enough to hold down an AFL spot as a key defender. Has neat skills for a big guy as well though he doesn’t get to use them a lot at this stage. I’d like to see him get a bit more involved on the rebound because he certainly isn’t a liability. His biggest strength is probably his aerial ability though. He is a very good overhead mark which will help make up for any lack of height.

32.Richmond

Player: Spencer White

Weight: 90kg

Club: Western Jets

Description: At the start of the year, I had White as one of my top KPFs to watch. That was based largely on potential rather than performances at the time, but as the year has gone on he has started to perform more consistently. He still has a long way to go, particularly needs to focus on what he does when he isn't kicking for goal because often he can go missing. But he is a big strong target up forward, is very good in the air and is an accurate shot on goal.

33.Brisbane

Player: Taylor Garner

Weight: 77kg

Description: Garner is one I wasn’t overly impressed with in the televised games. At this stage he seems very patchy, which admittedly can happen with his type of player. Struggles to always get involved in the game and hasn’t really put together 4 quarters. As a medium forward I really want to see him hit the scoreboard harder as I do believe he has the talent to do so. He also has some ball-winning ability and I’d like to see him play more midfield minutes to boost his draft chances if I was going to take him this high.

34.Richmond

Player: Adrian Corr

Description: Not one I’ve seen a lot of but Corr is a KPD with good endurance and a great size to him (although still skinny at this stage.) He has a good rebounding game so can see him making a good CHB long term. Whilst he is more of an attacking KPD he is still capable of shutting his opponent down as well but it is an area for improvement still at this stage.

35.Essendon

Player: Rory Atkins

Description: Atkins is a guy who has probably slipped down the pecking order this year as he has struggled to get involved in games during the Champs. Atkins is more than capable of playing as an inside or outside midfielder. Personally like him better on the inside as he has a fierce attack on the ball and uses it well even under pressure. He also has a nice burst of pace out of packs and is strong so he is hard to tackle. He is another of those midfielders who can go to the forward line to rest rather than the bench and have an impact there. Last year he had an 8 goal haul from memory. At this stage just needs to develop a bit more consistency to his game.

36.Carlton

Player: Matthew Haynes

Height: 189cm

Description: Haynes is a fantastic athlete. Very tall outside mid whom has freakish pace for someone so big. Very capable of using this pace to break the lines and cut teams up. However, his foot skills and decision-making can let him down and prevent him from being a first rounder. Would like to see him play more in the centre to try develop his ball-winning skills, which would make him a far more damaging and sought after player.

37. Fremantle

Player: Adam Carter

Height: 179cm

Weight: 70kg

Description: Carter is a guy with a very good football brain. Not very big but don’t let his size fool you though as he is a strong little tough nut who just knows how to win the footy on the inside, which long term will be his role at AFL level. He is also more than capable of playing as a backman to start so despite his lack of size for a ball-winning midfielder he will be able to get a taste of AFL early on and have an impact.

38. North Melbourne

Player: Harrison Marsh

Description: A really nice sized midfielder who unfortunately played as a key defender for most if not all of the under 18's championships. Really would have liked to have seen a midfield consisting of a combination of Marsh, Lowrie, Martin and Kent at some point throughout the Champs so was a little disappointed but oh well what can you do? Not a huge ball winner at this stage but that will come as he develops. I doubt him playing out of position will hurt his draft chances too much.

39. Collingwood

Player: Jason Pongracic

Height: 182cm

Description: Pongracic is a tough as nails inside midfielder who is already very physically developed so again probably drafting him for what he is capable of now. He’s like a bull with his attack on the ball. While not a liability he is not the best kick going around but he will probably develop into the guy diving onto the bottom of packs dishing out the handball so it’s not a huge issue as he won’t rely on it. Has the added bonus of his leadership skills as the co-captain of the Stingrays.

40. Fremantle

Player: Marco Paparone

Weight: 84kg

Description: Paparone is a guy I know a few others are pretty keen on but I just don’t see it. He may go late first/early second due to lack of other KPF’s but I think he just lacks in too many areas for my liking. He’s a very good endurance athlete, which will hold him in good stead as a CHF but his aerial work and toughness leave a little to be desired if he wants to make it as a KPF at AFL level. His kicking for goal is also not at a high-level from what I’ve seen so I think he is a guy who will probably go closer to the 40-60 range.

41.St Kilda

Player: Sean Lynch

Club:South Fremantle

Description: Lynch's production is probably worthy of a pick around 20 but he seems like a bit of a vanilla type midfielder. He's more of an outside guy as a rebounding defender or wingman and he isn't blessed with any electric pace, not that he's a plodder, nor does he have super skills. For this reason I'd say he's more likely to go after 40ish.

42. North Melbourne

Player: Tim Sumner

Description: Sumner is a real excitement machine and a very damaging outside midfielder or half forward. He’s a really great size and capable of taking a good grab. Managed to get a game for SA against Country and was IMO robbed of a goal. Nice pace and skills and with limited touches can either set up a lot of goals or kick them himself. For an outside player he is still capable of going in and winning his own ball or sitting back to be the receiver and use his skills.

43.Richmond

Player: Jackson Thurlow

Weight: 79kg

Club: Launceston

Description: Thurlow is a rebounding defender from Tasmania. Very good skills and can rack up a lot of the ball. Played a pretty unaccountable loose role in the backline throughout the Championships so would like to see him push up into the midfield a bit more and work on his defensive side and contested work which will help push him up the draft order.

44.St Kilda

Player: Dean Towers

Club: North Ballarat Roosters

Description:I've been watching a bit more of the VFL this season, and even managed to see a North Ballarat game live - and I like what I've seen from Towers. I've seen him compared to Isaac Smith, and I think it's an apt comparison. He has the height, speed and kicking skills of Smith. I'd be fairly confident in saying he will go early in the draft.

45.Sydney

Player: Jesse Lonergan

Height:183cm

Club: Launceston

Description: Lonergan is a tough contested inside ball-winner. He is the cousin of Essendon’s Sam. Not an elite kick by any stretch of the imagination but you would be drafting him for his work on the bottom of the packs. Missed a chunk of this season with injury but came back for second half of champs. 35 of his 49 possessions were contested at the champs. He started to hit the scoreboard at the champs as well, with 4 goals in the last 2 games against NSW/ACT and NT.

ROUND 3

46.West Coast

Player: Brant Colledge

Weight: 87kg

Club: Perth

Description: Due to injuries Colledge has gone under the radar so far, but he is one of the KPFs that I would seriously be considering. In the final match of the Championships, I thought he was the most impressive of the WA talls. Colledge is a strong mark above his head, and while he wont ever be a 50+ a season goalkicker, he is good at bringing other players into the game. While he can play in the backline, I like him as a CHF leading up the ground. He plays a very high marking and disposal game in the WAFL Colts, and I think he could translate that across to the AFL.

47.Sydney

Player: Emmanuel Irra

Club:South Adelaide

Description: Irra is a Ugandan refugee who played as an outside mid for South Adelaide. Is a kid who has already made his league debut and for a kid who hasn't been playing all his life is a beautiful kick off both sides of his body. Once he gets the ball he has elite speed and is very difficult to catch. At times though he can really struggle to get involved in the game and therefore needs to improve his work rate if he wants to make it at the next level.

48. North Melbourne

Player: Tim O'Brien

Weight: 81kg

Description: Not a huge guy for someone who plays in the ruck a bit at under 18 level but he has an amazing leap on him. I'm excited to see what he can do with his vertical leap. Played predominantly as a KPF for SA whilst giving the occasional chop out to Grundy in the ruck. Had quite a successful championships kicking 6.0 in the opening game against Tasmania. Still a pretty raw prospect but plenty to work with.

49.Melbourne

Player:Mason Wood

Height: 190cm

Weight:78kg

Club: Geelong Falcons

Description: Tall, skilful midfielder from the Geelong Falcons. Can push forward from the wing and kick goals. Has a really nice left-foot on him but like a lot of left-footers is very one-sided and can get him into a bit of trouble at times.

50.Western Bulldogs

Player: Lachlan Hunter

Height: 181cm

Club: Western Jets

Description: Lachlan Hunter, son of former 130-game Bulldog defender Mark was nominated by the Club before the father son deadline. Hunter is a left-footed midfielder/forward that represented Vic Metro at the AFL Under-18 national championships, and earned 2012 TAC Cup Team of the Year honours for his recent season with the Western Jets.

51.Western Bulldogs

Player: Nathan Hrovat

Height: 174cm

Description: Hrovat was probably the most productive player of the Champs. He just continually racked up big numbers. He is a very small midfielder who has a huge work rate. Very solid size for a little bloke so is able to win a lot of his own ball. His skills are elite and he is very much a dual-sided player, which is a credit to his hard work and discipline. He shows some real leadership in the way he's always the first to get over to encourage his teammates. He will be a guy who you can put straight into the team from round 1 next year and he will have an impact.

52.Essendon

Player: Adam Saad

Height: 177cm

Weight: 73kg

Description: Small defender/forward with excellent disposal and penetration on his prefered left foot. Reads the play very well, is agile and a fantastic overhaed mark. Sets up counter attacks from half back regularly and is averaging 16 disposals this season at TAC Cup level. In 2011 played for the World team in NAB AFL Under 16 Championships and won the Most Valuable Player award.

53.Melbourne

Player:Leigh Osborne

Weight:84kg

Club: Frankston Dolphins

Description: Rebounding medium defender who can also play through the midfield. Possesses a very good burst of speed and is an excellent kick on his preferred left foot. Played with the Eastern Ranges at TAC Cup level before a stint with local club East Ringwood. In 2012 he crossed to Frankston in the VFL and has become a shining light in defence averaging 17.4 disposals. Loves to run and carry the ball, can be a dangerous player when delivering inside forward 50. Accumulated a season best 28 disposals against Williamstown in Round 12.

54. Adelaide

Player: Daniel Williamson

Weight:?

Description: I don't know a lot on Williamson. From what I hear he's not a game changer, but not unlike a Toby Greene or Clay Smith either.

55.Essendon

Player: Matthew McDonough

Description: Nuggety small forward in the Porplyzia mould. Very strong kid for someone of his height and proved to be a very difficult match up at the champs kicking two bags of 6 goals and 3 in the final game. Not convinced his type will be the most highly sought after but I think he can continue to be a difficult match up at AFL level. Would like to see him play more midfield as everyone knows he is a more than capable forward and some versatility wouldn't go astray.

56.Carlton

Player: Jacob Ballard

Weight: 82kg

Description: I have to say that Ballard is underrated. I don't know why more people aren't talking about him. He is 186cm and a strong body, he'd be pushing selection in his debut season. He can run all day, and uses the ball quite well too - plays off of half back and through the middle. He was super impressive for Vic Metro, and one thing he showed was that he doesn't need a lot of game time to win the ball. He looks to be a perfect fit for the modern game, and I think he could go earlier then this.

57. Gold Coast

Player: Tom Temay

Club: Sandringham Dragons

Description: Temay is a smallish midfielder who really impressed in some of his champs games. He managed to rack up plenty of the ball and uses it quite well. Had 30 touches vs Tassie and 24 vs Vic Country while doing the job on Whitfield from what I could gather. Not one I had paid a huge amount of attention to beforehand.

58. North Melbourne

Player: Michael Close

Club: North Ballarat

Description: Another tall, and yet another who has been hampered by injuries this year. Close started the season well, playing around CHF and as the backup ruckman. And he had a good match for Vic Country too against Queensland, but unfortunately injured his ankle and didn't play again during the Championships. Close still has some filling out to do, but he is a strong mark. Just needs to find some more consistency, and find a way to impact the scoreboard every game.

59. Geelong

Player: James Stewart

Height: 197cm

Club: Sandringham Dragons

Description: Stewart was a father son option for the Pies as a KPF however they passed him up. With the lack of real key forward options I could see a teams taking him 3rd round. He's not an overly physical key forward and still has a lot of development to go in his body so is a bit of a project. Is a very nice kick of the footy for a guy who is 197cm. Not sure he is really hard enough at the contest to make it as a big KPF and he may follow the path of a Ben Griffiths/Jack Watts and use his skills distributing from the back half.

60. Fremantle

Player: Kamdyn McIntosh

Club: Peel Thunder

Description: Tall defender with a very good combination of pace and endurance. Versatile defender capable of playing on medium and talls. Played four matches for WA at the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships closing down dangerous opponents and providing good run from defence. Acquitted himself well in four matches at senior level for Peel, averaging 17.5 disposals, five marks and three tackles.

61.West Coast

Player: Dean Kent

Club: Perth

Description: A lot of people think he should have been part of the WA squad, and I tend to agree. Not the tallest player going around, but he is a powerful kid and strong at the ball. I would have had him ahead of a few of the players picked for WA. Kent has really stepped up at Colts level this year, consistently winning over 25 touches a game - plus kicking a goal a game. He is a very good clearance player, with a very good kick on him. Could probably handball and maybe tackle a tad more.

62.West Coast

Player: Shannon Taylor

Height: 177cm

Club: Claremont

Description: I still don't know quite where I stand with Taylor. Athletically, he is quite impressive - his speed alone would be reason to draft him. But I'm just not sold on him as a footballer, in particular as to whether he would be anything more than a small forward at AFL level. Doesn't really have the impact with his kicking that you'd be looking for from someone on the wrong side of 180cm. But as a late pick or in the rookie draft, there is enough to work with to suggest he'd be worth a shot.

63. North Melbourne

Player: Jordan Bourke

Club: Morningside

Description: Jordan is exceptionally strong overhead and a reliable shot for goal and reads the ball well in the air. The AIS-AFL Academy graduate is the son of former Geelong Cats ruckman Damien Bourke and was eligible for the Cats under the father/son rule but was not picked up. He averaged 12.4 disposals and 4.2 marks for Queensland in the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships showing his overall potential.

64. Adelaide

Player: Brodie Murdoch

Description: Brodie is a bit different to his brother Jordan in that he is an undersized KPF. At AFL level he will need to develop into a 3rd/4th string forward. Similar to his brother he has a really nice left foot kick on him and doesn't waste too many chances at goal.

65. Greater Western Sydney

Player: PASS

Height:

Weight:

Description:

66.Sydney

Player: Max Duffy

Description: I think Duffy is perhaps the best player to have been overlooked last year, with talent definitely not the reason for not getting drafted. He is quick, smart and seriously skilled. And this year, he has become one of the most dangerous forwards in the WAFL - league, not Colts. Any team who needs to add life to their forward half should really be looking at Duffy.

67.Sydney

Player: Jarrad Lienert

Description: Another tall from SA, and quite a versatile one at that. Lienert started the season playing up forward for Sturt, where kicked 12 goals in 3 games. But then moved to the back lines. He missed the first game of the Championships through injury, but returned against the NT and performed well. Generally looks to take the game on coming out of the back lines, Lienert should be one to watch in the next few years.

ROUND 4

68. Hawthorn

Player: Andrew Boston

Height: 180 cm

Club: Broadbeach

Description: Midfielder who excelled in the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships for QLD averaging 18 disposals at 70% and winning All Australian honours. Clean hands and neat disposal skills are features of his game.

69. Greater Western Sydney

Height:

Weight:

Club:

Description:

70.Melbourne

Player: Daniel Nicholson

Club: Rookie Upgrade

Description: Impressed on his debut as a substitute against Carlton in round 10, 2011 and went on to play nine games. Nicholson is a running defender who is versatile and has good endurance. He was one of the Demons' most impressive trainers during the pre-season for 2012 and has now played 20 games.

71.Carlton

Player: Levi Casboult

Height: 198cm

Weight: 99kg

Description: Tall forward who can take a strong mark and is excellent in one-on-one contests. Has made dramatic improvement to his kicking, but needs to work on his forward pressure. Played six games in 2012.

72. Hawthorn

Player: Patrick Wilson

Height: 185cm

Description: I haven't seen Wilson's name mentioned in a lot of places yet, but he is just yet another player from SA who I think could surprise everyone. He has played a fair bit of school football over the last 18 months, and he had a stretch of 6 weeks for Sturt in the U18s that was nothing short of excellent. He is a genuine ball winner, would be averaging close to 30 touches a game and has been involved in nearly every rebounding play. Not only that, but he is almost the prototypical size for a modern AFL player and is also one of the youngest in the draft. There is a lot to like, and a lot to work with.

73.Melbourne

Player: James Magner

Height: 178cm

Description: Mature-age, strong-bodied midfielder who won VFL club Sandringham's best and fairest in 2011. The courageous Magner spent three years at Frankston after finishing with the Dandenong Stingrays. An in-and-under player, he is competitive and strong and well regarded at VFL level. Played 17 games in his debut season for Melbourne off the rookie list. Works his backside off and deserves the elevation.

74.Melbourne

Height:

Weight:

Club:

Description:

75.Essendon

Height:

Weight:

Club:

Description:

76.Carlton

Player: Tom Bell

Weight: 95kg

Description: Defender who can also play midfield. Has a huge tank, shown by his level 15.1 beep test at the State Draft Combine. Played seven games in 2012.

77.St Kilda

Player: Sam Dunnell

Height: 190cm

Description: Sam Dunell was St Kilda's first player taken in the 2011 Rookie Draft, pick 12. A mature-age midfielder, he has gone from playing with Old Melburnians in the A-grade amateurs to AFL football in one year. Possessing great endurance, with good hands, he showed plenty in the VFL with Bendigo Bombers late 2011, averaging 10 disposals and one score assist per match. In July 2011, Sam was selected for the Victorian Amateur Football Association representative side that defeated Vic Country in Shepparton where he kicked 2 goals. Prior to that, he took part in the National U23 Amateurs Championship held in South Australia. The Victorians won the competition where Dunell was named in the best in 3 of the 4 games and earned All-Australian honours for the tournament. The son of Frank Dunell, who played for Essendon's Premiership winning side in 1984 and the Brisbane Bears, Sam is a gifted sportsman having played a lot of senior district cricket. Sam played 5 matches for the St Kilda Football Club during 2012.

78. North Melbourne

Player: Majak Daw

Weight: 94kg

Description: Played a full season as Werribee's No. 1 ruckman as he continued his impressive development in 2011 & 12. At his best, Daw is an exhilarating playercheck out a few of his running goals last year on YouTubebut he needs to improve his consistency. Will be promoted otherwise would be delisted.

79. Geelong

Player: Marlon Motlop

Club: Swan Districts

Description: There was never any real question as to whether Marlon Motlop had the talent to play AFL football, it's just that he could never really put it together when he was at Port Adelaide. But since making the move back to WA and Swan Districts this year, he has been nothing short of excellent. Playing off of half back, he is averaging well over 20 disposals a game and is really making them count too. Every team is seemingly looking for that Andrew McLead/Roger Hayden type defender these days, so Motlop is every chance of getting another shot at the big league.

80. Fremantle

Height:

Weight:

Club:

Description:

81.West Coast

Height:

Weight:

Club:

Description:

82. Collingwood

Height:

Weight:

Club:

Description:

83. Adelaide

Height:

Weight:

Club:

Description:

84. Hawthorn

Height:

Weight:

Description:

85.Port Adelaide

Player: Oliver Johnson

Weight: 73kg

Club: West Adelaide

Description: Johnson is just a real clearance machine. Started the year off on fire racking up huge numbers of both possessions and clearances. He's not overly big but looks a type who could fill out into a solid size. Not the greatest kick going around but he's adequate and when you're picking late in the draft you're not going to get a player without flaws.

This would allow Melbourne to target in the PSD:

Player: Ben Jacobs

Height: 185cm

Club: Port Adelaide

Description: The strongly built defender finished with 12 games in his debut season. Had a slow start to the season because of glandular fever, which sidelined him for five weeks. Underwent ankle surgery at the end of the season 2011 and will further improve as his body develops. Now played 26 matches and appears a good fit for the Dees with his neat disposal and run and spread.

As for the rookie draft I'd be hoping for Melbourne to delist and then re-draft Bartram as a rookie to give him another 12 months to see if he can get over that knee injury which could end his career. This allows Melbourne two active rookie picks and the ability to sign two band 1 rookies (internationals I think) so I'd be looking at rookie listing:

Player: Clint Bartram

Club: Rookie demotion

Description: The tough small defender/midfielder produced a solid year before a hip injury derailed his season in 2011. He played a couple of games in the VFL before returning to perform well in run-with roles on Daniel Kerr, Trent Cotchin and Gary Ablett. Although he needs to work on his disposal under pressure, at just 23 and with 95 games under his belt, he can perform difficult tasks for the Demons. He played the openning 8 games of season 2012 before a serious knee injury threatened to end his career.

Player: Chase Bower

Weight: 79kg

Description: I was disappointed to see that Bower was not part of the SA squad for the U18 Championships, but he was always going to be on the fringes. Like last year, Bower has been splitting his time between U18s and Reserves football in the SANFL and he has really developed into a solid defender. But versatility is Bower's main weapon, and he can play pretty much anywhere on the ground - has filled key roles at both ends of the ground, as well as being an attacking option in the midfield. He is very quick, attacks the play well and is also fairly strong above his head.

Player: Chen Shao Liang (Int)

Description: Medium defender type with brilliant leg power. His vertical jump is in the rare category. A standing jump of 86cm and a running jump of 99cm at the China Combine in July were reflective of his background in volleyball and basketball. An exciting athlete that has excelled at school in short distance track events and displays a real desire to learn the game and improve. Is the first player to be selected from the AFL China Academy program in Guangshou, Southern China.

Player: Sean Hurley (Int)

Weight: 91kg

Description: A tall midfielder/key position player from County Kildare in the Leinster Province. His endurance base, athleticism and overhead marking are real strengths. He is a pure competitor and has a genuine appetite for the one-on-one contest, whilst being a sound kick on his preferred right foot. This year he played football with Kildare in the All-Ireland Senior Championship. A very promising player with a desire to learn and impressed as a representative of the European Legion youth team vs the Australian Under-18 team in Surrey, England in April 2012.

Curious as to everyone's thoughts?

Edited by Tall Defence
  • Like 2

Confession: I'm a real sucker for phantom drafts (I miss Burgo's these days but he's working in a better place these days anyway :lol: ) and you've done well TD.

However, you might have gone a bit early because I think the potential sanctions against Adelaide over draft tampering/salary cap breaches are going to cut deep into their available draft picks over the next year or so and who knows what will happen with Tippett?

Reading your profiles almost makes me wish that we could have kept another early pick but then I remember we got Hogan and we have Jack Viney at 27 (possibly 26 in the near future). You can't be too greedy.

I was a big fan of Jimmy Toumpas from way back so I still hold out some hopes there especially given that GWS has an abundance of midfield talent and might (even at 3) be inclined to go for a different type ahead of our first pick at 4. Still, Wines or O'Rourke look like fitting the bill anyway so we can't lose with that pick and JVs a lock at 27.

From what I've seen (very little) and read of Paul Marschall, he looks a good fit for us but I've also read that there are some doubts about whether he's going to nominate for the draft.

I also think we'll be active trying to snare one of two delisted FAs and would like to get Ben Jacobs as another potential midfielder through the PSD and that obviously depends if we're able to work out a satisfactory arrangement to get him across the line. After all, he did initially nominate North as his preferred club (although this shouldn't stop us from trying).

I think Michael Evans is also in line for a rookie elevation.

Finally, I met Clint Bartram last week at the Forum game and he was happy with his rehab so far and looking to start his pre season in the near future. He's in the leadership group and, as long as all goes well in the coming weeks, I doubt a downgrade to the rookie list is likely.

• Like 2

Cheers WJ. That's great news to hear about Bartram, from some of the comments by Misso about Barters on Matt Burgan's weekly interviews I was concerned about him long term, so that's very pleasing news to hear and as you said would mean placing him on the rookie list wouldn't be necessary.

Evans to could be in line. I just thought they may keep him rookie listed next year given as an interstate rookie, the options there and because of his injuries.

Yeah you may be right about the Adelaide sanctions, I was just ti impatient to wait.

There do look to be some really good players in the draft. Fingers crossed Marschall nominates and even Mason Wood has some attributes that remind me of Ryan O'Keefe. Collingwood & GWS could clean up with their early picks.

I'm really hopeful of landing one of Ben Jacobs or Josh Toy in the PSD, we should be right in their ear. Given GWS & GC need to reduce their list sizes and GWS having 6 picks in the top 30 I doubt either will even take part in the PSD essentially leaving us with pick 1 and no competition.

As far as delisted free agents go I reckon James Hawksley would be a good fit for us and Rawlings, Clark & MacDonald should all know a fair bit about his personallity. Others we could look at are Jacob Surjan, Steven Salopek, Jeromey Webberley and Luke Rounds if he gets the chop?

Good effort.

It will be fascinating to see who we end up with at pick 4 and where Stringer goes. My Brother is desperate for Stringer (or Wines) and I read reports that Footscray love him. Some have him top 6 and others as low as 20.

I read somewhere that the Bulldogs like you said are absolutely in love, but we're not willing to part with 5 or 6 for him and were trying to upgrade their 3rd first round pick, to get in the low teens to be able to take Stringer. I see him going about 10-15 personally.

Great effort.

One thing - I don't see the point in getting 73 and 74 back in trades if we are going to use them as rookie upgrades. If we do it would show marginal poor planning.

But brave new world and all that it does give flexibility...

But I expect Adelaide to be kicked out of the draft early and that we will delist/sign a couple more before draft day.

One thing - I don't see the point in getting 73 and 74 back in trades if we are going to use them as rookie upgrades. If we do it would show marginal poor planning.

I'm not great with list management side of things - but wouldn't that be the main reason we'd get those picks in trades?

I applaud the effort.

Just a question, I thought that you had to name your rookie upgrades beforehand and the AFL assigned them to your live picks from the rear. Thus, you can pass as much as you like and then still come in later with rookie upgrades.

Cheers WJ. That's great news to hear about Bartram, from some of the comments by Misso about Barters on Matt Burgan's weekly interviews I was concerned about him long term, so that's very pleasing news to hear and as you said would mean placing him on the rookie list wouldn't be necessary.

Evans to could be in line. I just thought they may keep him rookie listed next year given as an interstate rookie, the options there and because of his injuries.

Yeah you may be right about the Adelaide sanctions, I was just ti impatient to wait.

There do look to be some really good players in the draft. Fingers crossed Marschall nominates and even Mason Wood has some attributes that remind me of Ryan O'Keefe. Collingwood & GWS could clean up with their early picks.

I'm really hopeful of landing one of Ben Jacobs or Josh Toy in the PSD, we should be right in their ear. Given GWS & GC need to reduce their list sizes and GWS having 6 picks in the top 30 I doubt either will even take part in the PSD essentially leaving us with pick 1 and no competition.

As far as delisted free agents go I reckon James Hawksley would be a good fit for us and Rawlings, Clark & MacDonald should all know a fair bit about his personallity. Others we could look at are Jacob Surjan, Steven Salopek, Jeromey Webberley and Luke Rounds if he gets the chop?

im pretty sure that Evans can only be upgraded or let go as he has been rookie listed for the max 2 years now.

I'm not great with list management side of things - but wouldn't that be the main reason we'd get those picks in trades?

I applaud the effort.

Just a question, I thought that you had to name your rookie upgrades beforehand and the AFL assigned them to your live picks from the rear. Thus, you can pass as much as you like and then still come in later with rookie upgrades.

JD is right - upgrade from the rear (no jokes please).

So if we don't use 73 and 74 then that shows that we didn't get full value for the Martin and Gysberts trades. The Morton trade is irrelevant is it was what I would call a 'Trade Deletion.'

Again, it can simply be for flexibility and if we can secure Jacobs in the PSD or we want Banner as a Delisted FA then 73 and 74 might have been seen as an 'insurance policy' of sorts in case we strike out with other targets or if Jetta, MacDonald, Sellar, et al. don't impress upon their return tomorrow.

Great post TD - really appreciate the effort and insight that goes into compiling that information for us.

My only criticism is that you didn't inform us as to who Port will likely take with pick 88, given that some here seem to think we paid 'overs' for Rodan.

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 1

JD is right - upgrade from the rear (no jokes please).

So if we don't use 73 and 74 then that shows that we didn't get full value for the Martin and Gysberts trades. The Morton trade is irrelevant is it was what I would call a 'Trade Deletion.'

Again, it can simply be for flexibility and if we can secure Jacobs in the PSD or we want Banner as a Delisted FA then 73 and 74 might have been seen as an 'insurance policy' of sorts in case we strike out with other targets or if Jetta, MacDonald, Sellar, et al. don't impress upon their return tomorrow.

Won't 73 and 74 be used to upgrade Nicho and Magner/Evans?

Nice going Tall Defence, particularly liked the write ups of the lesser knowns from West and South Australia some of which didn't even play in the champs. Impressive.

No way Stringer and Shaw will be picked in the top 10. Both way too speculative to be picked that early.

Stringer should be picked up in the top 10, he will get back to his physical capacity once he gets into a professional environment. A guy who kicks 10 goals and has 25 touches in his first game back from a broken leg is far too talented to let go outside the top ten. If he gets past Bulldogs he will be off the table after Richmond's pick at 9.

Nice going Tall Defence, particularly liked the write ups of the lesser knowns from West and South Australia some of which didn't even play in the champs. Impressive.

Stringer should be picked up in the top 10, he will get back to his physical capacity once he gets into a professional environment. A guy who kicks 10 goals and has 25 touches in his first game back from a broken leg is far too talented to let go outside the top ten. If he gets past Bulldogs he will be off the table after Richmond's pick at 9.

He runs like an old women and wont get picked in the top 10 due to the risk, one that the dogs cant afford to take.

No way Stringer and Shaw will be picked in the top 10. Both way too speculative to be picked that early.

Agree Tess that they're both speculative selections in the top 10. My reasoning for them both being picked up by the Bulldogs are a combination of Stringer's form pre broken leg and the amount of love the Bulldogs seem to have for him. Highly doubt he'd last till their Pick 22.

As for Shaw I think he could be a calculated risk that the Bulldogs may take. Their forward line is in even more trouble then ours and Shaw is someone who could come in and have an immediate impact. Their midfield stocks are reasonable with the likes of Wallis, Smith and Liberatore coming through and their defence has Williams, Roughead, Markovic. They may take a punt on the best young forward at that pick, like we did with Molan and Cook (I know they didn't end well) and even drafting another tall at 22 to address their biggest weakness at the moment.

Great post TD - really appreciate the effort and insight that goes into compiling that information for us.

My only criticism is that you didn't inform us as to who Port will likely take with pick 88, given that some here seem to think we paid 'overs' for Rodan.

Love it RB,Champagne comedy!

im pretty sure that Evans can only be upgraded or let go as he has been rookie listed for the max 2 years now.

I'm not 100% on the rule but if it's an interstate rookie isn't there an option for a 3rd year on the rookie list like Spencer was?

Won't 73 and 74 be used to upgrade Nicho and Magner/Evans?

They shouldn't be.

Pick 123 and 129 can do that.

What I am saying is those trades specifically obtained those picks 'to get the deal done' on our end.

If we don't use them that we didn't get out our full investment.

But yes, 73 and 74 may end up being rookie upgrades.

LOL

Dees came out on top by a mile. We got two fat ladies for Morton. BINGO!!!

Agree Tess that they're both speculative selections in the top 10. My reasoning for them both being picked up by the Bulldogs are a combination of Stringer's form pre broken leg and the amount of love the Bulldogs seem to have for him. Highly doubt he'd last till their Pick 22.

As for Shaw I think he could be a calculated risk that the Bulldogs may take. Their forward line is in even more trouble then ours and Shaw is someone who could come in and have an immediate impact. Their midfield stocks are reasonable with the likes of Wallis, Smith and Liberatore coming through and their defence has Williams, Roughead, Markovic. They may take a punt on the best young forward at that pick, like we did with Molan and Cook (I know they didn't end well) and even drafting another tall at 22 to address their biggest weakness at the moment.

Kristen Jaeskch will go higher then Shaw, Taylor Garner will go between 10-20 for certain, no way Macrae will go past the top 10 and Nathan Wright and Tanner Smith are not a top 20 picks.

They shouldn't be.

Pick 123 and 129 can do that.

What I am saying is those trades specifically obtained those picks 'to get the deal done' on our end.

If we don't use them that we didn't get out our full investment.

But yes, 73 and 74 may end up being rookie upgrades.

Ah OK, I see where you're coming from now.

Without knowing what the negotiations were like, it's hard to say if we did or didn't extract value for those two players - given the outcome (especially Martin's) I can only assume that we did.

Very nice effort, especially in the detail on each player. You've obviously watched a few games this year. Only thing I can question is upgrading Magner. He has another year on the rookie list, while Evans has to be upgraded or cut loose. I expect us to upgrade Evans and keep Magner and Couch as rookies for another year.