• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

FAREWELL JORDAN GYSBERTS

Shocking year no doubt. Didn't respond well to the new training regime. However, I fail to see why that's a reason to get rid of him so hastily. Has talent to get the ball and we are bereft in that area. KEEP

• Like 1
  • Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So instead of working on the kid's weaknesses and develop him (lack of muscle and stamina) we get rid of a two time 21 yo rising star nominee, and get Rodan and/or Ray. I'm not thrilled. I hope t

If you are trying to re-build a club based on hard work, commitment to the plan, and hardness in the contest, then you draft OUT those players lacking in these attributes, and draft IN those with thes

This is what I know about Gysberts and why he was traded- -he is not competitive at all in one on one drills -he could not bench press 50kgs and was very ordinary with the other weights -in today's

If you want accumulators, get in Ollie Wines, combatted with Grimes and Jonesy.. all will average over 25 disposals in seasons to come

• Like 2

The only thing between Gysberts and top level midfielder is his running ability. Unfortunately it's a pretty damn important part.

He is exceptional in close and has an innate 6th sense around the packs, but he is very poor on the spread and running defensively. Neeld obviously rates running ability very highly because this directly relates to the team's abiltiy to defend all over the field. As it stands, he's offensively talented but defensively limited.

If he was able to improve his running ability then he'd be a really good player. But they're looking to trade him, so I'm not confident that this can be easily improved.

• Like 4

The only thing between Gysberts and top level midfielder is his running ability. Unfortunately it's a pretty damn important part.

He is exceptional in close and has an innate 6th sense around the packs, but he is very poor on the spread and running defensively. Neeld obviously rates running ability very highly because this directly relates to the team's abiltiy to defend all over the field. As it stands, he's offensively talented but defensively limited.

If he was able to improve his running ability then he'd be a really good player. But they're looking to trade him, so I'm not confident that this can be easily improved.

Neeld stresses really highly about our defensive game. without one, no team can win.

Just look at Sydney

It was clear during the 2012 pre-season training reports, that Blease and Gysberts were getting driven hard by the coaches, more so than most. Blease responded magnificently and has been rewarded for his effort, he now understands what is required of him and he is willing to push himself to become a more complete player with his aim to improve his endurance and defensive running in the off-season.

Gysberts has been left in Blease's dust and has fallen behind the pack a long way. Depending on what Neeld thinks, he may be too far back to catch up, resulting in him being traded or there may still be a flicker of hope yet. Ultimately, the decision has been Gysberts the entire time.

• Like 1

It was clear during the 2012 pre-season training reports, that Blease and Gysberts were getting driven hard by the coaches, more so than most. Blease responded magnificently and has been rewarded for his effort, he now understands what is required of him and he is willing to push himself to become a more complete player with his aim to improve his endurance and defensive running in the off-season.

Gysberts has been left in Blease's dust and has fallen behind the pack a long way. Depending on what Neeld thinks, he may be too far back to catch up, resulting in him being traded or there may still be a flicker of hope yet. Ultimately, the decision has been Gysberts the entire time.

i think the last sentence sums it up, and unfortunately thua far under the neeld regime he hasnt seemed to step it up the notch the required notch.

Its the difference between high school and university.

At high schook you have a teacher berating you about your homework if its late, at uni you just get a fail...i think neeld is sick of

nagging

I would like to see him retained because he does have the skills to be a good player however i think it comes down to self motivation and does gys have it

Edited by rolly
  • Like 1

If endurance is what is holding him back, unless he has physical limitations, this is ine skill that anybody can improve. It just takes hard work.

Its up to him to do this. For the life of me I can't understand how any pro athlete wouldn't put in the required effort to do this, particularly when you clearly have talent. Let's hope Jordy is working his backside off.

The fact Gys could not break into a truly awful senior team in 2012 must be taken into account.

Is that attitude?

That said, if there are no other clubs showing interest we should keep him for another year.

But what does Gys want?

The coach will know.

To be fair, he has had a load of injuries in the past 12 months so no playing many games in 2012 isn't surprising.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

I see Gysberts' great talent, but his fitness to date is deplorable.

My greatest worry is that he is limited physically like Josh Toy or Jack Ziebell and will be never be capable of building a big enough engine.

VO2 max testing and the like should be able to tell us this.

If it's just a desire issue, I think that will come with maturity and being surround by other competitive beasts.

Much better to roll the dice on this than move him on for a low return.

In a nutshell, IMO:

physical limitations = trade/delist

mental/heart issues = keep

• Like 5

Some of that may he true but is a little unfair - you overlook a couple of serious injuries that may have prevented him keeping up with Blease's progression, so to say that the decision is his entirely isn't exactly accurate.

As I said earlier, IF the fitness team think he is capable of reaching the required level, he is far too good to just throw out.

• Like 1

If fitness was Gysberts only issue I reckon he'd remain on the list. But coupled with his poor running ability is his lack of pace and being an ordinary kick. Pace by itself isn't an issue for an inside mid if you're a good kick and can run.

There are a few areas of the game that when added together conspire against Gysberts becoming a quality AFL midfielder.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 3
Guest José Mourinho

I think his poor kicking is overstated.

He's capable over a short-mid distance.

But yes, far from elite.

And pace is a concern.

*sigh*

Time to accept that we've fluffed another one...

• Like 1

I think his poor kicking is overstated.

Under no pressure he can hit a target, but the level of pressure in AFL footy compared to VFL is massive. And even when under no pressure I doubt I've ever seen someone's kicks take so long to travel through the air.

It's a genuine liability, imo.

I see Gysberts' great talent, but his fitness to date is deplorable.

My greatest worry is that he is limited physically like Josh Toy or Jack Ziebell and will be never be capable of building a big enough engine.

VO2 max testing and the like should be able to tell us this.

If it's just a desire issue, I think that will come with maturity and being surround by other competitive beasts.

Much better to roll the dice on this than move him on for a low return.

In a nutshell, IMO:

physical limitations = trade/delist

mental/heart issues = keep

If he has physical limitations how was he selected in the first place ?

If the fitness people didnt know then it smacks of amatuer hour. I suspect he just hasnt worked hard enough like many talented kids they excel due to raw skill at school

Completely different once you have to play the mans game and you just have to be committed to working harder than you ever have or thought possible.

I personall hope the Gys makes it but in the end its up to him. Like a few others at Melbourne Neeld has given them a chance to show they want it. Unfortunate for Gys he was injured definitely worth another year

I'm not so sure about. Blease was still get low possession games at Melbourne towards the end and would have been just hanging in there. Gysberts gets more of the ball and is more inside.

They both still have poor tanks but lets see what another per season can do.

Gysberts has still shown more at afl level than blease IMO.

Edited by Bay Riffin

I'm not so sure about. Blease was still get low possession games at Melbourne towards the end and would have been just hanging in there. Gysberts gets more of the ball and is more inside.

I'm sorry, what?!

WTF? Do you have eyes?

What is this 'talent' people keep speaking of?

Please.

He found it easy to accumulate possessions during his under 18 year. His first few games within the AFL were high numbered games and of course supporters start licking their lips thinking we have yet another 'star' in

the making.

We have enough accumulators who have plenty more strings to their bow. Gysberts has literally shown no other strong attribute.

I do not rate him at all.

Really? What team are you watching. We barely have 5 players each week who get more than 10 kicks.

Accumulators are people like Swan and Mitchell.

Gysberts finds his own ball. We have VERY FEW of those. However doesn't do any damage with the possessions and has no engine. But he is young and could be good.

• Like 1

If he doesn't get at least another year with Neeld i will be spewing. He is physically underdone which can only be fixed with time, and some say he mentally hasn't "bought in" yet. He is 21. I only started to knuckle down and focus more on career/life when i was around his age.

I wouldn't say more, but they're very similar. Both have 2 rising star nominations. Both have had injury issues. Unfortunately for Gysberts, his most recent year has been injury plagued, so that is what the supporters choose to remember...

I went to a training session last pre-season and remember making the comment that the coaches (Royal in particular) were riding Gysberts hard, not surprising to hear the coaches may not be thrilled with his attitude. It's a shame because it was a golden opportunity to come out big winners from McLean leaving.

Gybserts has shown more than Blease?!

I reckon I'm as excited for Blease's future as I am of any other MFC player/possible recruit - if not moreso.

His pace, dash, confidence, line-breaking ability is an absolute standout and, importantly, he kicks goals.

Midfields that kick goals are a very handy ingredient in a successful team.

• Like 1